PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag recommendations???

DaTwiztedOne
03-11-2014, 00:53
ok so we started hiking/camping early this year and im tired of freezing my azz off!!! our old sleeping bags must be for 50* weather because anything below that and we freeze :( AND they are too heavy,

any advice for a lighter warmer bag? we are doing more and more backpack hiking/camping and i need to lighten the load and stay warm. ive been out of work for a long time now (injury) so i cant afford 150-200.00 for a bag x 2 for us

thanks

PS im not too good to buy used either if anybody knows where to get good used bags...

thanks

saltysack
03-11-2014, 06:58
Kelty cosmic down 20.....find on sale $120-150... Good bag for $$. Or diy quilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiskeystick
03-11-2014, 08:23
Many end of season blow out sales. Rei outlet has a bunch for under $100. Kelty ignite 20 for $69. Not top of the line down fill but a good bag nonetheless.

Rei also has their garage sale coming up at the end of the month in locations by me. Maybe if you have one by you could score some good used gear.

DaTwiztedOne
03-12-2014, 22:24
thanks......

Drybones
03-12-2014, 22:40
Kelty cosmic down 20.....find on sale $120-150... Good bag for $$. Or diy quilt

I agree this is a good choice for what you're doing...good value. Don't under estimate the importance of a good pad to keep you warm from the bottom, that's where I normally get cold, even with a very good sleeping bag.

Other
03-18-2014, 05:15
I agree. a quality pad with a high r value will allow you to sleep more comfortable. dollar for dollar it is a good way to up the warmth of any sleeping system.

DaTwiztedOne
03-19-2014, 10:21
thanks yall

Shonryu
03-19-2014, 12:13
I agree a good pad will make a huge difference and using some of your insulating layers to sleep in to help cut down on some weight. Im not a DIY kind of guy and personally use quilts but if you wanna go light while saving money there are a lot of videos on youtube as well as online for DIY quilts.

Shonryu
03-19-2014, 12:33
I have a friend that bought an Ozark trail 32 degree down mummy bag from Walmart. I think he paid $70 for it. He said the true temperature ratiing is more like 40 but he bought extra down and added a couple more ounces of 800 fill to it. After he stripped it down cutting tags, replacing the shock cords with lighter ones, lighter toggles, and tossing the stuff sack its around 24oz on the bag. He has taken it down to the high teens. For the warmth to weight ratio and what he paid to do it all I'm very impressed. I think by the time he paid for the bag and materials he was under $100.