PDA

View Full Version : Knife Edge and beyond

putts
03-11-2014, 11:46
Did any of you extend your hike beyond Katahdin by crossing Knife Edge or continuing north to Russell Pond or beyond? Or, SOBO - by starting North of Katahdin?

Would you recommend it?

*Not just asking thru hikers, any hiker who started or finished 100 miles away from Katahdin.

rafe
03-11-2014, 11:55
I wouldn't recommend anyone attempting Knife Edge with a full pack or in less than perfect weather. Just my $ 0.02.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2014, 13:08
I wouldn't recommend anyone attempting Knife Edge with a full pack or in less than perfect weather. Just my $ 0.02.

The knife edge is a scary trail with just a day pack and perfect weather. Most NOBOs get to Kathadin late in the season and just getting to the Baxter peak can be a challenge. About the only practical way to do the Knife edge is as a day hike from Chimney pond during the summer months. And pray there isn't an afternoon thunder storm. Starting a SOBO from Chimney pond, up and over Baxter via the Knife Edge and then down the other side would be a seriously long and difficult day.

peakbagger
03-11-2014, 15:14
I have gone down the knife edge twice with a full pack on, except for the steep spot at the chimney I wore it all the way across with no issues. At the steep spot, I had to remove it and hand it down to the person I was hiking with. I have also dayhiked from Roaring Brook to Daicey Pond up and over the knifes edge. It was about 10 hours and I am no speedster.

As others note, only do the knives edge in a good day with no wind and do it early. Even if you make it across the knife edge the Helon Taylor trail still is an exposed ridge for a couple of hours and Dudley trail to Chimney Pond is also exposed for most of the downclimb. Dudley does a world of hurt on your knees, I would take Helon Taylor down to Roaring brook anytime compared to Dudley. Most thru hikers would not go down to Chimney as reservations are required and its very rare to find a vacancy. A nice alternative to the Knifes edge is Hamlin Ridge trail, it is still exposed but is wider than the Knifes edge. If it wasnt next to the knifes edge folks would make a special trip anywhere else just to hike it.

rafe
03-11-2014, 16:16
It's a spectacular hike, I'll say that for it. Both times when I did it, our group stayed at Chimney Pond. It's the kind of trail that'll bring on vertigo, if you're at all susceptible to that.

FarmerChef
03-11-2014, 16:20
Was considering this after we summited Katahdin northbound but it sounds like it's best saved until later...

peakbagger
03-11-2014, 17:03
Baxter is worth a special trip, for those from far away its worth stretching the trip that extra distance but most are focused on heading home. Far better to make some reservations and go back after afew years.

The one downer is stringing together a long backpack through the park is difficult. About the longest trip would be roaring brook to Russel Pond to South Branch pond and the car spot is a long slow ride. There are currently no good loops but the park is slowly gearing up for some.

rafe
03-11-2014, 17:17
If you're not a thru-hiker, overnight stays in Baxter are by reservation only, and generally reservations need to be made months in advance. (If you're arriving by foot via the AT, this doesn't apply.) We discovered this the first time we went to visit, somewhat on a lark. Baxter is limited-access, and camping is allowed only at designated sites within the park.

If you don't have a reservation, you can hike by day within the park, but you need to be back out by closing time.

It's worth the trip, but it really is in the middle of nowhere; even from Boston, it's a seven or eight hour drive.

Starchild
03-11-2014, 17:48
I did it as my Thru combined with a Native American pilgrimage to Pomola (across the Knife Edge from Katahdin) and also though others were clouded in I was in the sun, a small channel of clear sky were above/around me. That channel opened uop right along the knife edge, Splash and I made our way over that and down the far side, hitched into Millonocket as the sun was setting, with no supplies remaining and without overnight gear (they were in Millinocket). The saying the trail will provide proved itself again but it was nerveracking heading down so late w/o overnight packs.

As for if a AT thru should, that depends on what the trail is telling you, for me yes, it was so obvious, but each person has their own hike to hike.

evyck da fleet
03-11-2014, 21:38
I wanted to but the wind was too strong the day I summited (with a full pack). One of the guys I had been hiking with started to try it with a day pack the next day but turned back for the same reason. If it was meant to be I would have done it but I was more than happy to have a high cloud ceiling and clear view of the surrounding area atop Katahdin.

rafe
03-11-2014, 22:11
Starting a SOBO from Chimney pond, up and over Baxter via the Knife Edge and then down the other side would be a seriously long and difficult day.

Actually this seems like it could work, for a really strong hiker, given optimal weather and a day pack. You could leave your (full) pack at the ranger station on the south side of K, get someone to drive you up to the trailhead to Chimney Pond nice 'n early.

Or put it another way, how much harder is this than the usual day-hiker loops over Knife Edge, from Chimney Pond?

I would most definitely not recommend this except to the Maltos and fiddleheads of the world. It's hard core.

rafe
03-11-2014, 22:40
Couldn't resist, here's a few seriously ancient pix from our adventures on the Knife Edge, and the view from Chimney Pond. I took the pix, so I'm not in 'em.

rickb
03-11-2014, 22:51
Did any of you extend your hike beyond Katahdin by crossing Knife Edge or continuing north to Russell Pond or beyond? Or, SOBO - by starting North of Katahdin?

Would you recommend it?

*Not just asking thru hikers, any hiker who started or finished 100 miles away from Katahdin.

I started at Roaring Brook on the North side, but the ranger talked me out of going over the Knife's edge, so I went up the Saddle Trail. Had he not made that suggestion my hike could have ended on day one. I don't much like heights. Rafe's photo is giving me anxiety just looking at it.

The Solemates
03-12-2014, 14:29
Id recommend knife edge. a very scenic and fun trail. despite what others have said, a full pack doesnt seem to be an issue. but do what you are comfortable with, not what others tell you.

rafe
03-12-2014, 14:49
Id recommend knife edge. a very scenic and fun trail. despite what others have said, a full pack doesnt seem to be an issue. but do what you are comfortable with, not what others tell you.

??? Since OP started the thread to solicit opinions, telling the OP to ignore those opinions seems kinda silly.

peakbagger
03-12-2014, 19:29
By the way the three photos in the prior post are not taken on the knife edge. The first one appears to be Index rock on Dudley trail , the second one is looking up at the knifes Edge from Chimney Pond and the last one is on Pamola. All great places to visit on a sunny day.

rafe
03-12-2014, 19:45
By the way the three photos in the prior post are not taken on the knife edge. The first one appears to be Index rock on Dudley trail , the second one is looking up at the knifes Edge from Chimney Pond and the last one is on Pamola. All great places to visit on a sunny day.

The middle picture is Chimney Pond, as I stated, with some of the Knife edge showing. The other two, as far as I recall were taken on the same morning, on the way up to Knife Edge from Chimney Pond. So yeah -- they don't capture the full terror of the Knife Edge by any means. :)

We took some other hike on the second morning out of Chimney Pond, but I don't recall it having views back toward Chimney, the way we did on the first day.

Del Q
03-12-2014, 20:17
I dont scare easily but some of the videos of the knife's edge have my FULL attention.

Hope to be there completing my secton hiike Fall 2015............my tentative plan is summit Katahdin, then come back via the knife edge, with my full pack, and if....................well, you know

At least I completed the AT