PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Nature Memories!

Sierra2015
03-11-2014, 13:41
Recently there's been a few interesting pictures or videos popping up (a picture of one member on the trail as a baby clutching a toothbrush, another member posted a video of himself as a young man on the JMT) and that's got me interested!

So! Post a picture of yourself as a kid in nature. Maybe even your first experience hiking?

Edit: Or pictures of your kids in nature!

Sierra2015
03-11-2014, 13:45
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/12/6u4uzeby.jpg My brother and me. I think this is my first experience with snow! (No idea whose tree that is, haha. I don't remember ever having a Christmas tree.)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/12/9y2yzamy.jpg I still remember this hike. My dad and I had an all day outdoors experience. He took this picture. :)

And I'm pretty sure I developed it, hence the graininess. O.o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HikerMom58
03-11-2014, 14:21
Aww.... sweetness! What a cutie pie, Sierra. That's a good picture of you and your brother! I see that red hair too!:D

I'll see if I can dig up some old pics too! Fun thread!

Sierra2015
03-11-2014, 22:43
Aww.... sweetness! What a cutie pie, Sierra. That's a good picture of you and your brother! I see that red hair too!:D

I'll see if I can dig up some old pics too! Fun thread!

Thanks Mom!

Lol, I was so hopeful I'd see baby pics! But I guess this might just be something the two of us are interested in. O.o

HikerMom58
03-11-2014, 23:08

Here you go Sierra... It's me and my brother at the Bronx Zoo. My mom, me and brother in our yard in Nashua NH. We even had my birthday cake outside! :cool: The other one is me at the first shelter out of Daleville VA. heading NOBO!

Now, who's next? :D

Sierra2015
03-11-2014, 23:12
What a pretty woman you are!!

(I've already printed and consumed you as a child. Om nom nom, baby pics.)

HikerMom58
03-11-2014, 23:16

(I've already printed and consumed you as a child. Om nom nom, baby pics.)

Thanks sweet thang! ;) Loving ur pics too... right back at ya!

rafe
03-11-2014, 23:23
That would be me with the glasses. I don't remember the trip. Maybe somewhere in the Catskills. The guy next to me was a friend of the family, not my dad.

Sierra2015
03-11-2014, 23:40
What a muscular boy! I can see the striations under your skin!

HikerMom58
03-11-2014, 23:40
That would be me with the glasses. I don't remember the trip. Maybe somewhere in the Catskills. The guy next to me was a friend of the family, not my dad.

Awww... cute rafe.. I wonder what y'all were looking at over the edge of the rock. You don't remember the trip... :D

I clearly remember going to the Bronz Zoo in New York.... so funny!

Tipi Walter
03-11-2014, 23:43
This one is easy---

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g5r5HLSZXuo/TIJy6-hY3SI/AAAAAAAAA6U/XhQl3qPNhSA/w753-h736-no/in+colorado+1955.jpg
Along a Colorado creek in 1955.

HikerMom58
03-11-2014, 23:49
Love it!! :d

Cadenza
03-11-2014, 23:52

likeahike
03-11-2014, 23:52
Wow, HikerMom, prettiest smile EVER!

HikerMom58
03-11-2014, 23:57
Wow, HikerMom, prettiest smile EVER!

Thanks likeahike... that's nice of you to say! :D

I love that pic of you Cadenza!! Adorable!! :sun

Sierra2015
03-11-2014, 23:59
Cadenza doesn't look all that happy about the pack weight. Lol

Tipi Walter
03-12-2014, 00:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26297&d=1394597040
All whiteblazers and all backpackers should study this pic carefully. It has everything. The old green cotton/canvas sleeping bag, the old canvas Yucca pack (without the frame??), the proper uniform, and the proper slightly forward lean. Excellent.

BUT NOTHING HAS CHANGED!
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/4/1/1/6/1/img_0253.jpg

Spring forward several decades and here is Cadenza with the same pack!! (no, it's not even close . . . .not the same pack . . . and it's not even his pack. It's my pack he's trying on for laughs).

Tipi Walter
03-12-2014, 00:24
And while we're at it we should PRAISE THE HOLY YUCCA PACK---

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kcjR43AJlWw/TIJy62ZxmKI/AAAAAAAAA6U/aN-Q2DJCQwM/w491-h480-no/1963.jpg
Here I am with my own little Yucca in the Texas heat of 1963 preparing to hit the trail.

he.who.forgets
03-12-2014, 11:00
I dont have anything to contribute at the moment, but just wanted to say how wonderful these photos are!

Hill Ape
03-12-2014, 19:58
still not sure why I can't post a picture into a message, but here ya go sierra, nom nom nom http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=721&userid=42926

Sierra2015
03-12-2014, 22:56
Love me some baby hill! Haha

Foresight
03-12-2014, 23:11
Me on the right, circa 1969 :D

Foresight
03-12-2014, 23:24

I concur. Beautiful :mythumbhere:

(You too, even though yer a numbskull, lol)

Sierra2015
03-12-2014, 23:30
Me on the right, circa 1969 :D

Love the face. Haha

Did you end up eating that fish?

I concur. Beautiful :mythumbhere:

(You too, even though yer a numbskull, lol)
What a lovely compliment! I see you've been practicing talking to girls. :p

Just Bill
03-12-2014, 23:33

Here you go Sierra... It's me and my brother at the Bronx Zoo. My mom, me and brother in our yard in Nashua NH. We even had my birthday cake outside! :cool: The other one is me at the first shelter out of Daleville VA. heading NOBO!

Now, who's next? :D

LOL- Like the Limmers Mom.
Already knew you were a looker but the shelter name is perhaps more than some here can handle.
:dance
Sorry- Bad Just Bill- can't help it.:datz

Foresight
03-12-2014, 23:37
Love the face. Haha

Did you end up eating that fish?

What a lovely compliment! I see you've been practicing talking to girls. :p

It's the cooties. Cooties concern me.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-13-2014, 17:25
I had to go digging into the archives for these. I only have 2 photos from my childhood, and both happen to have been taken at the same place: Yawgoog Scout Reservation, our second home in the early days (when dirt was new and dinosaurs walked the earth).

This photo is not of me, but of my oldest brother and my sisters on "the rock". 26334

This is of me at 2 yrs old wandering the woods 26335

This is of me at 5 yrs old watching my brother in the Sunday Parade 26338 This picture is a bittersweet memory, as I vividly recall not understanding why I couldn't participate in the ceremony after having just spent the entire week with the troop. I was a firm believer in the "anything you can do I can do better" approach to dealing with the older scouts (youngest kid of 7...go figure that attitude) and was absolutely indulged in my determination to be included in the fun!

(It didn't hurt that that guy whose shoulders I'm sitting on was Field Director for the Council) :D

But this is my favorite....my oldest's first camping trip...Burlingame State Forest, 198226339
This is me with Snacktime's mom.

Tipi Walter
03-13-2014, 22:20
Here I am in 1956 right at the end of my Trans-Atlantic swim and happily arriving on the coast of Virginia in good spirits.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/2/b/9/2663097/Completing-A-Trans-Atlantic-Swim-1955.jpg
JUST KIDDING. Swimming in the Great Salt Plains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma.

HikerMom58
03-13-2014, 22:45
LOL- Like the Limmers Mom.
Already knew you were a looker but the shelter name is perhaps more than some here can handle.
:dance
Sorry- Bad Just Bill- can't help it.:datz

Yeah JB- the BOOTS! I never have hiked very far in them. I don't think I ever will! ;)

Bad JB- LOL, I was waitin for it! :D

It's the cooties. Cooties concern me.

Cooties- now that's a word I haven't heard in a long long time! :p

I had to go digging into the archives for these. I only have 2 photos from my childhood, and both happen to have been taken at the same place: Yawgoog Scout Reservation, our second home in the early days (when dirt was new and dinosaurs walked the earth).

This photo is not of me, but of my oldest brother and my sisters on "the rock". 26334

This is of me at 2 yrs old wandering the woods 26335

This is of me at 5 yrs old watching my brother in the Sunday Parade 26338 This picture is a bittersweet memory, as I vividly recall not understanding why I couldn't participate in the ceremony after having just spent the entire week with the troop. I was a firm believer in the "anything you can do I can do better" approach to dealing with the older scouts (youngest kid of 7...go figure that attitude) and was absolutely indulged in my determination to be included in the fun!

(It didn't hurt that that guy whose shoulders I'm sitting on was Field Director for the Council) :D

But this is my favorite....my oldest's first camping trip...Burlingame State Forest, 198226339
This is me with Snacktime's mom.

VERY NICE TEACH! I love them!

Affirmative
03-13-2014, 22:50
There aren't many childhood pictures of me to begin with... I wandered New Jersey woods to get away from the constant fighting at home. My only real lucid childhood memory was sitting in a creek with the banks towering over me on both sides. Was just watching the water flow and playing with a sharks tooth. The peace was interrupted by a herd of deer which came crashed through the woods and majestically leaped across the creek gap about 5 yards down stream from where I was.

That was my first time ever seeing a deer and I eventually learned that it sucks when a deer "majestically" leaps across the highway and into cars. Oh how ugly life gets.

HikerMom58
03-13-2014, 22:53
There aren't many childhood pictures of me to begin with... I wandered New Jersey woods to get away from the constant fighting at home. My only real lucid childhood memory was sitting in a creek with the banks towering over me on both sides. Was just watching the water flow and playing with a sharks tooth. The peace was interrupted by a herd of deer which came crashed through the woods and majestically leaped across the creek gap about 5 yards down stream from where I was.

That was my first time ever seeing a deer and I eventually learned that it sucks when a deer "majestically" leaps across the highway and into cars. Oh how ugly life gets.

I hear ya... what you shared is thought provoking, Affirmative!

Pedaling Fool
03-14-2014, 08:13
My family photo album is up in Maryland with the rest of my family, thus I don't have access -- I've been banished to Florida. :D

However, one of my first memories in nature was finding a Boxer turtle in my yard; I remember being timid of it, but was assured they are harmless.

That thing bit my finger so hard, I had blood rushing out.

I don't blame the turtle, he was just doing what comes natural. I blame and hold a grudge against nature ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-14-2014, 10:59
Don't blame nature! Blame the dummy who told you it was harmless! Aren't adults supposed to protect kids from vicious turtle attacks? :D

daddytwosticks
03-14-2014, 15:17
Don't blame nature! Blame the dummy who told you it was harmless! Aren't adults supposed to protect kids from vicious turtle attacks? :D If we start talkin' about turtle births, we'll have to merge a few threads! :)

Kerosene
03-14-2014, 16:17
I'll have to ask my parents (in New York State) if they have any early pictures that might qualify, but what I most vividly recall wasn't captured on camera.

As a 9- or 10-year old living in Burlington, Vermont, I clearly recall seeing these white blazes (I had no idea what they were called at the time) leading off up a hill through very dark trees as we quickly drove by in the car. Turns out it was a portion of the Long Trail (likely between Smugglers Notch and Killington). I was always curious about where they led, and saw them several times over the years (late 60's) we lived in Vermont.

Around that same time, I also recall visiting my grandmother in central New York State (Norwich) one summer. There was a big hill/small mountain a mile or so away across the fields and, having nothing better to do, I decided that I was going to climb that mountain. I made it about halfway to the base of the hill when a herd of animals came bounding across the field maybe 200 yards in front of me. For the life of me, I thought they were wolves and not the excited white-tail deer I eventually read about. Stopped me right in my tracks and I turned around to go back to grandma's house!