PDA

View Full Version : Shower only please!

squeezebox
03-12-2014, 10:04
Are there hostels or cheap motels that will sell you a shower only ? A stealth sponge bath and hair wash might be possible at some gas stations. I would think that most trail towns have a laundromat, so asking a hostel for laundry services is probably unnecessary ?? What about kitchen privilages? Do any hostels have a small kitchen area for hikers ?

HikerMom58
03-12-2014, 10:34
I do know that 4 Pines Hostel in Catawba VA has an outdoor shower but no towels available, apparently. Humm... my feelings- charge me for a towel PLEASE and THANK YOU! :sun

Slo-go'en
03-12-2014, 10:34
You can likely get just a shower at hostels, but many are far enough from town that you'll want to do the town shuttle many of them offer in the evening, so spending the night and spending the 10-20 dollars to stay there is well worth it. Many hostels have a kitchen of one kind or another, or at least a gas grill.

Motels are less likely to let you use a shower, as then they have to clean up after you. It's too bad laundromats don't have a shower, they got the hot water and it wouldn't be that hard to put in a coin operated shower.

jdc5294
03-12-2014, 10:40
I can't think that a hostel *wouldn't* let you take just a shower, but as has already been said many of them aren't physically in town so it's a lot to go through for being clean for what, a couple hours max?

Also, I did my thru on a budget most here consider beyond frugal which took some discipline, and I don't think even I would be able to pass up a warm bed and a beer waiting 10 feet away after a nice shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flemdawg1
03-12-2014, 10:45
Places I've showered without an overnight stay: Mtn Crossings, Franklin Budget Inn ($5), NOC, Fontana Dam (Free), Hot Springs Campground, Uncle Johnnies, Kincora Hostel (donation), Sun Dog Outfitters Damascus, Partnership Shelter, Trent's Grocery, 4 Pines Hostel, Dahlgren Back Pack Campground, Shenandoah NP campgrounds,

rafe
03-12-2014, 10:47
A few hostels I've stayed at had a hiker-accessible kitchen area. Ironmasters was one. Free State in Maryland also. Places like Elmers or Shaws, not really, since their kitchens are busy feeding hikers.

Shower-only would have been nice, I dunno how many times. IIRC the "secret shelter" near Unionville has running water and a big sink, it might even have an outdoor shower. Dahlgren campground in MD (right on the trail!) had showers. It also has a 5-star restaurant a short walk away. Blackburn Trail Center in N. Va. had a solar shower.

HikerMom58
03-12-2014, 10:49
Places I've showered without an overnight stay: Mtn Crossings, Franklin Budget Inn ($5), NOC, Fontana Dam (Free), Hot Springs Campground, Uncle Johnnies, Kincora Hostel (donation), Sun Dog Outfitters Damascus, Partnership Shelter, Trent's Grocery, 4 Pines Hostel, Dahlgren Back Pack Campground, Shenandoah NP campgrounds,

flemdawg1.. do you remember if 4 Pines Hostel had towels? I've heard from more than 1 hiker, they don't. It's not that big a deal in the warmer months, I guess.

flemdawg1
03-12-2014, 10:50
Most hostels have laundry service, especially those that are not in town.

HikerMom58
03-12-2014, 10:59
I just looked in the book at 4 Pines Hostel. No mention of laundry or kitchen..it's a 3- bay garage with shower. (no towel) It's close to the Homeplace and small grocery store, that's it. Closest town is 22 miles away- Daleville.

steve0423
03-12-2014, 11:02
Some of the rougher motels will give you a towel and let you shower in a vacated room they have yet to clean that day for 5-10 bucks.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2014, 11:07
flemdawg1.. do you remember if 4 Pines Hostel had towels? I've heard from more than 1 hiker, they don't. It's not that big a deal in the warmer months, I guess.

There are a few places you can score a shower, but have to find a way to dry off yourself. Fontana Damn, the Dahlgren camp ground, campgrounds in the SNP, a place in Conneticuit (shower hidden behind ivy on side of water works building) and maybe a few others here and there. So, it is worth having a camp towel and/or a few cotton bandannas to dry off with.

GoldenBear
03-12-2014, 11:21
Truck stops invariably have showers -- with soap and towel provided -- for about $12. In other words, about the cost of a hostel stay. Still, if you're DESPERATE, it's worth looking into.

I've found truck stops with showers at two places in Pennsylvania: Benvenue, just north of the Juanita Bridge; and as the AT crosses US Highway 11 in Carlisle.

HikerMom58
03-12-2014, 11:29
There are a few places you can score a shower, but have to find a way to dry off yourself. Fontana Damn, the Dahlgren camp ground, campgrounds in the SNP, a place in Conneticuit (shower hidden behind ivy on side of water works building) and maybe a few others here and there. So, it is worth having a camp towel and/or a few cotton bandannas to dry off with.

Good advice Slo. Thanks! :) I wish someone would publish a list of all these places to grab a shower. There's been some really good posts on this thread so far. I love WB members.. sooo helpful! :D

flemdawg1
03-12-2014, 11:40

Nope, no towel. Not a biggie, I carry a small one.

HikerMom58
03-12-2014, 11:41
Nope, no towel. Not a biggie, I carry a small one.

Got ya.. thanks, that's what I thought! :)

Minerva
03-12-2014, 11:43
I’d suggest you get a current copy of the Thru-Hikers’ Companion. Since 2006, there has been an appendix at the back of the book listing hostels, camping and shower only information with the applicable fees.
Cindy

flemdawg1
03-12-2014, 11:48
Also National Forest managed CGs like Standing Indian and Hurricane Creek also have hot showers for campers but there is not a lock on these facilities to prevent use by whoever.

ALLEGHENY
03-12-2014, 11:49
I’d suggest you get a current copy of the Thru-Hikers’ Companion. Since 2006, there has been an appendix at the back of the book listing hostels, camping and shower only information with the applicable fees.
Cindy

+1..................

flemdawg1
03-12-2014, 11:52
Cindy

Also National Forest managed CGs like Standing Indian and Hurricane Creek also have hot showers for campers but there is not a lock on these facilities to prevent use by whoever.

Oops I just saw in the Companion where the NF cgs charge for showers.

jbwood5
03-12-2014, 12:53
Just to add to the posts here, you can get a shower (for a fee) at Glencliff, NH hikers hostel (w/a towel) and I remember taking a shower at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in PA. Also, I remember showering at Graymoor Monastery (free). Housatanic State Park was another one. Nothing of luxury, but who cares. I swam or soaked and rinsed clothes in Nuclear Lake, NY(?) and many ponds in VT and NH. If you are hiking in warm weather, rinsing is not a big deal, but you'll sweat and start stinking fairly quickly afterward on hot days so the only benefit is temporary and refreshing.

whiskeystick
03-12-2014, 13:28
Jim Murray in nj has a solar shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
03-12-2014, 13:32
Some.... motels will give you a towel and let you shower in a vacated room they have yet to clean that day for 5-10 bucks.

When I want just a shower(a real shower inside a building)I do this regularly across the U.S. Ask for the shower before all the rooms are cleaned. Most motels/hotels will offer a towel but if they give one at the front desk if you ask nicely from one of the housekeeping staff for a towel as they are cleaning the rooms no problema has been my experience.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2014, 13:33
Truck stops invariably have showers -- with soap and towel provided -- for about $12. In other words, about the cost of a hostel stay. Still, if you're DESPERATE, it's worth looking into.

I've found truck stops with showers at two places in Pennsylvania: Benvenue, just north of the Juanita Bridge; and as the AT crosses US Highway 11 in Carlisle.

I've asked to use the shower at a couple of truck stops and have been refused since I wasn't a card carrying truck driver. But that might vary depending on the person in charge at the time you ask. They will let you use the washing machines though, which is nice.

Dogwood
03-12-2014, 13:35
..but if they do not give one(towel) at the front desk....

Dogwood
03-12-2014, 13:39
That huge Truck Stops of America in Daleville allowed me to do my wash and take a shower. I didn't even have to show them my CDL. :)

Schnitzel
03-12-2014, 16:19
I believe that you can also shower without stay at the Mohican Center 10 miles from PA/NJ border.

Mick3y
03-12-2014, 16:44
I don't know about showers, but I know a shammy from the dollar store works quite well as a towel, packs very small and only weighs 9g/.32oz

daddytwosticks
03-13-2014, 07:23
The NOC has nice showers (feed them quarters) and changing rooms down by the far parking lot after you cross the vehicle bridge. I've ended many a section hike here and had some great hot showers before heading home. :)

Jeff
03-13-2014, 14:59
You can also jump of the bridge crossing the James River in VA...and the White River in Vermont.:o

rafe
03-13-2014, 15:05
Bascom Lodge on the summit of Greylock has showers.

Jeff
03-13-2014, 17:13
Shower and laundry available in Hanover, NH at the Rec Center located right on the trail as you leave town NOBO. Unfortunately, they are only open M-F 9 to 5PM during the summer.

BillyGr
03-13-2014, 21:23
In season, the campgrounds in Shenandoah have coin operated showers (no towels, though).
Not sure what the season is - we were there during April break and only Big Meadows was open, but that may vary from year to year.

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2014, 21:54
Are there hostels or cheap motels that will sell you a shower only ? A stealth sponge bath and hair wash might be possible at some gas stations. I would think that most trail towns have a laundromat, so asking a hostel for laundry services is probably unnecessary ?? What about kitchen privilages? Do any hostels have a small kitchen area for hikers ?

Have you considered Ivory soap (it floats) and 50 feet downhill from the waterhole? - Try Old School it's Priceless.

LIhikers
03-13-2014, 22:29
The public swimming pool in Boiling Springs has showers, and a swim in the pool is nice too! (after you've showered :) )
I forget what they charged us, but it wasn't much.

biggcarl
03-14-2014, 09:09
The 501 shelter in PA has shower in the summer

rafe
03-14-2014, 09:36
The 501 shelter in PA has shower in the summer

Does it still have the "PA Money Pit" down the road?