PDA

View Full Version : Heat wave

Slo-go'en
03-12-2014, 10:16
It looks like it went from way too cold to way too hot, way to fast across much of the country in the last few days. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to start the AT in March this year after all.

Mean while, here in northern NH, we're about to get 16+ inches of wet snow (if it was powder we'd get like 4 feet!), then it's back to near zero degrees for a day or two. Really crazy weather this winter. The new normal. Short, but really intense winters. With the Great Lakes frozen solid, that might help keep it cool in these parts well into the summer. I can at least hope :)

The Cleaner
03-12-2014, 10:36
Supposed to be near 23* in town here tomorrow night and 50-60mph winds in the mountains. Highs only near 50* for a few days. Subtract 10-15 degrees for the high country. Also light snow expected in the mountains...

HikerMom58
03-12-2014, 10:43
Oh boy.. you stated it well, Slo. It was HOT in VA yesterday, shoulda worn my running shorts when I ran.

Snow is predicted for tonight but only a 20% chance. Ahhh!!!

Pedaling Fool
03-12-2014, 10:46
Bring it on...:D

Drybones
03-12-2014, 16:05
Supposed to be near 23* in town here tomorrow night and 50-60mph winds in the mountains. Highs only near 50* for a few days. Subtract 10-15 degrees for the high country. Also light snow expected in the mountains...

Gonna be fun puttin up tents and tarps....I wish'um luck.

The Cleaner
03-12-2014, 16:27
I'm thinking about those hikers who had their picture taken at Mountain Crossings wearing sandals w/o socks. I'd say that smile they had has changed just like the weather.....

lemon b
03-18-2014, 01:14
In Becket yesterday, we had snow, han nice sunshine, than snow, turning to slet, than nice sunshine. All in a three hour period. The Mountain makes its own weather/ Still got well over two feet in my woods. Although two sets of tracks were seen going from Old Country Road over Oct Mt. to Pittsfield Road. 10 miles. Lots of slick spots not to mention difficultly seeing the blazes. High temp was maybe 15 degrees.

WingedMonkey
03-18-2014, 09:50
In Becket yesterday, we had snow, han nice sunshine, than snow, turning to slet, than nice sunshine. All in a three hour period. The Mountain makes its own weather/ Still got well over two feet in my woods. Although two sets of tracks were seen going from Old Country Road over Oct Mt. to Pittsfield Road. 10 miles. Lots of slick spots not to mention difficultly seeing the blazes. High temp was maybe 15 degrees.

Have hiked that little section so many times in the snow, from where I stay on Beach Rd. Didn't get a chance to get up there this winter.....yet.

It was 88 here on Sunday. Sucks for hiking.

HikerMom58
03-18-2014, 10:16
We are still playing around with winter in Central VA. There's just a lil bit of new snow on the ground, not even measurable. Cold again today but tomorrow high of 58 heading for 68, by the end of the week! :) I hope we have nice Spring temps & don't go straight into Summer. It's happened. :(

Slo-go'en
03-18-2014, 10:23
It went to -4 here last night, -7 the night before. It might go above freezing for a few days later this week, then it gets cold again next week. We should be boiling Maple sap to make syrup right now, but it's been staying too cold :(

rafe
03-18-2014, 10:29
It went to -4 here last night, -7 the night before. It might go above freezing for a few days later this week, then it gets cold again next week. We should be boiling Maple sap to make syrup right now, but it's been staying too cold :(

I'm happy to hear that, actually. The snowshoes I ordered won't be here till next week, so maybe I'll get a few weeks use out of them before the winter-hiking season is done.

HikerMom58
03-18-2014, 10:31

Aww.... nothing should stand in the way of making maple syrup! Nothing! ;) That sap needs to run out of those trees! YUM!!

Slo- let us know when the sap starts running. I'll live vicariously through you while you make/enjoy that maple syrup! Ahhhh!! :)

FarmerChef
03-18-2014, 11:27
Aww.... nothing should stand in the way of making maple syrup! Nothing! ;) That sap needs to run out of those trees! YUM!!

Slo- let us know when the sap starts running. I'll live vicariously through you while you make/enjoy that maple syrup! Ahhhh!! :)

I took the kids to Cunningham Falls SP in southern MD last Saturday and the sap was running good for their Maple Syrup festival. First time in a long time, we've actually gotten to see the sap run during the festival (it's typically held later when it's warmer).

Yesterday dropped about 6 inches of snow but the road had self melted already by the mid morning. I expect most of that snow to be gone today and the rest (if any) by tomorrow. Ahh spring. When weather can't make up its mind quite yet.