PDA

View Full Version : Long term dehydration

steve0423
03-12-2014, 11:31
I seem to be more susceptible to dehydration post thru. I did what I could while hiking but realistically I probably was mildly dehydrated for several stretches. It’s been seven months since I finished and I find I dehydrate quicker than before to the point of getting leg cramps at night, (never happened before my thru). Haven’t found much info on this specific aspect of dehydration, anyone else have this issue?

AngelEyez
03-12-2014, 20:16
have you have a full metabolic panel run to see if iron, electrolyte or any thing else is some what decreased/increased. Try decreasing/increasing salt intakes. Drink water more often not more so much but more often in small amounts. best of luck :)

rhjanes
03-12-2014, 20:30
+1 on getting the work up.
I found as I've aged, I need more water. Not sure why, nothing in my yearly blood work/physical. I go through maybe 30 ounces of iced tea, maybe 12 ounces of a soda plus around 50 ounces or more of water a day. When I walk my 8 miles, I tank up prior to leaving. Drink 1.5 liters while out. Doctors say us Amm-er-i-cans are chronically dehydrated.

PD230SOI
03-12-2014, 20:52
Try a glass or two, at least ten oz, of tonic water per day.

of course also get a panel run, but in the short term while getting that scheduled....

Sierra2015
03-12-2014, 23:34
+1 on getting the work up.
I found as I've aged, I need more water. Not sure why, nothing in my yearly blood work/physical. I go through maybe 30 ounces of iced tea, maybe 12 ounces of a soda plus around 50 ounces or more of water a day. When I walk my 8 miles, I tank up prior to leaving. Drink 1.5 liters while out. Doctors say us Amm-er-i-cans are chronically dehydrated.
You could be diabetic. Maybe a good idea to get your blood sugar checked.

Just Bill
03-12-2014, 23:43
Tests, tests- good idea.

Have you tried forcing yourself to consume water in larger quantities?

After years of working construction and drinking massive amounts of water (like a thru) it took me a long time to adjust to desk life and I didn't realize how little water I drank. I actually had to force myself to fill my 3l platy a few times a day and drink that much water. No scientific basis of course, but I think by body just got used to drinking a few gallons a day and going back to 8 servings in daily life left me out of whack for a long time, even now I tend to drink a gallon a day.

I also stick to a 3-1 ratio concerning electrolytes- 3 glasses of water to one glass of gatorade.

cliffdiver
03-13-2014, 00:51
You could be diabetic. Maybe a good idea to get your blood sugar checked.

As a former type 2 diabetic, it was my first thought as well. That's one of the first signs that you exhibit when diabetic- I could never get enough fluid in me at times.

Demeter
03-13-2014, 02:24
Have you been checked for Lyme's and Erlichiosis?

steve0423
03-13-2014, 09:32
Thanks for the ideas. I’m very active, cycling, trail running, gym, etc. I very conscience of water intake, it just seems that it’s easier for me to get dehydrated now. I have to really stay on top of it when exercising. I’ve even noticed night time leg cramps after a couple drinks with friends. I fully understand alcohol will cause dehydration, just never had cramps after a couple gin and tonics before.

I hadn’t thought about diabetes. That’s probably enough to scare me into getting a full work up from the doc.

Sierra2015
03-13-2014, 09:43
Thanks for the ideas. I’m very active, cycling, trail running, gym, etc. I very conscience of water intake, it just seems that it’s easier for me to get dehydrated now. I have to really stay on top of it when exercising. I’ve even noticed night time leg cramps after a couple drinks with friends. I fully understand alcohol will cause dehydration, just never had cramps after a couple gin and tonics before.

I hadn’t thought about diabetes. That’s probably enough to scare me into getting a full work up from the doc.

The diabetes comment was directed at rhjanes.

As for you! What's your pee color? Does your tongue look whiter than normal? Is your skin dry? Are you thirsty?

Maybe you need to build up your resistance to alcohol again....

steve0423
03-13-2014, 10:28
The diabetes comment was directed at rhjanes.

As for you! What's your pee color? Does your tongue look whiter than normal? Is your skin dry? Are you thirsty?

Maybe you need to build up your resistance to alcohol again....

I exhibit all the normal symptoms of hydration and dehydration…
Just seems I dehydrate easier then I use to…
Think I’ll schedule a doc visit and maybe work on building up my resistance to alcohol again J

Bagge Pants
03-13-2014, 15:38
eat more, drink more, stretch more, obviously eat and drink more calcium, sodium and potassium, you can also get in the habit of taking electrolyte supplements and try going without exercising so much. I get leg twitches at times and it's an early sign of dehydration. You just might be constantly leaning towards dehydration. Some sports muscle cramps and twitching actually can't even be explained by doctors, similar to how DOMS isn't even understood by modern science

rhjanes
03-13-2014, 19:55
You could be diabetic. Maybe a good idea to get your blood sugar checked.thanks, but that has been checked 5 years now. However I DO a lot more activity stuff now. I spent about 15 years not doing much but a desk job. I walk around 25 miles a week now, do some other activities. I'm just wondering if the OP is thinking they drink more, but it is because of more activity. I endorse getting with the doctor, asking for a full blood set up, UA and such. Check it all out.

Malto
03-13-2014, 20:47
I used to regularly get foot and leg cramp when I lay down to sleep. Electrolytes made the cramp completely go away. If that is the problem, you will be causing more harm than good by over drinking water. YMMV.

DocMahns
03-13-2014, 21:31
If it were my guess, I'd say electrolyte imbalance rather than full on dehydration. Get a metabolic panel, complete blood count, and blood chemistry drawn; these will give you (or the medical professional) a better idea of what's going on. Diagnosis off of subjective symptoms is purely speculative at best.

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2014, 22:27
Good luck Steve... Subscribe to the thread and let us know how stuff worked out. Sorry to hear.

Prime Time
03-13-2014, 23:26
The only thing I'd add is that during a thru hike, staying hydrated is a full time, around the clock activity. Back in normal life, we often go days between major phsical activity that requires significantly more hydration than we otherwise require. Remember, it is extremely important to start your hydrating the day before the activity and not just try and keep up during it. You did this on your thru hike without really thinking about it.