PDA

View Full Version : How old to hike?

turtle fast
03-12-2014, 12:02
I have read many articles of father and son hikes and began to ponder at what age the younger son could appreciate the hike. I understand that every kid is different on the maturity meter, and that the physical aspect is different for both hikers. I would not take a 4 year old on a thru hike, but what about a 6,7,8 year old?

Feral Bill
03-12-2014, 12:09
My daughter, later a star athlete, hiked the Wonderland Trail at 10. I'm sure she could have done a through. I doubt many younger kids could do so. You can easily find out by doing shorter trips with your own.

slbirdnerd
03-12-2014, 12:15
First congrats on your own thru! Are you talking taking your son a thru? It's been done, but I think they are a small and unique group of kids.

I love backpacking, hiking and camping. My 11 year old boy scout, as we discovered last year, loves camping and HATES backpacking and hiking. Last season we had an overnight in Ohio, which he hated, and an overnight on the GA AT, which he hated--that was supposed to be a 2-3 night trip. He said he never wanted to go backpacking again.This makes me sad, he's my buddy and I hoped we could share that.

I have since admitted to him we went about it all wrong, and it should have been a lot less about the hiking and more about the camping. He has mentioned this year maybe wanting to give it another try, and I vow to keep the hiking sections short and the camping fun--if it means I'm carrying hot dogs and smore makings, so be it! I think if we can do that, the rest will come.

You should be able to find some books, articles and even maybe talks at your local outfitter about backpacking with kids. That's a good place to start. (Kicking self...)

turtle fast
03-12-2014, 12:27
I am contemplating preparing for one with my son when he gets a tad older (he is four)...but he already loves to hike and we luckily have a local circuit (the Seven Bridges Trail) that we regularly hike.

Old Grouse
03-12-2014, 12:28
For another perspective you could read the Barefoot Sisters' account of the Family From The North. Not that I'm holding that up as a good example for you.

takethisbread
03-12-2014, 12:35
First congrats on your own thru! Are you talking taking your son a thru? It's been done, but I think they are a small and unique group of kids.

I love backpacking, hiking and camping. My 11 year old boy scout, as we discovered last year, loves camping and HATES backpacking and hiking. Last season we had an overnight in Ohio, which he hated, and an overnight on the GA AT, which he hated--that was supposed to be a 2-3 night trip. He said he never wanted to go backpacking again.This makes me sad, he's my buddy and I hoped we could share that.

I have since admitted to him we went about it all wrong, and it should have been a lot less about the hiking and more about the camping. He has mentioned this year maybe wanting to give it another try, and I vow to keep the hiking sections short and the camping fun--if it means I'm carrying hot dogs and smore makings, so be it! I think if we can do that, the rest will come.

You should be able to find some books, articles and even maybe talks at your local outfitter about backpacking with kids. That's a good place to start. (Kicking self...)

been there with my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mags
03-12-2014, 12:37
Without opening too big a can o' worms, Buddy Backpacker (http://www.buddybackpacker.com/) just did a flip-flop hike of the AT at age 5.

Obviously a unique situation.

Scraping Heaven (http://www.amazon.com/Scraping-Heaven-Familys-Journey-Continental/dp/0071373608) by Cindy Ross is an account of section hiking the CDT with her husband and young family. That may be something more realistic for most families (if very motivated ones). Good read, too. They used llamas in parts and, on the flatter parts of the CDT, used bicycles where permitted.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-12-2014, 12:42
Five year old Buddy Backpacker just finished a hike with his dad....a 2,186 mile one. ;)

HooKooDooKu
03-12-2014, 13:27
I found that my 4yo didn't have the coordination to walk in the woods... they kept tripping over the smallest root or rock, and couldn't handle hills.

By age 5, they could basically hike, and by age 6 I was taking them on their 1st major hike (a trip to LeConte Lodge in GSMNP).
By age 7, they were finally big enough that they could at least carry their own cloths, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad. (I carry enough without having to add all their stuff too).

Otherwise, you've got to consider the "what-ifs"... specifically, "what if something happens to you?". Sure it is unlikely, but in recent months we've had news stories of adults dying for medical reasons (heart attack) or simply disappearing (perhaps tripped and fell down a mountain). What is your plan for the child in that case.

Some adults insist that there be at least two adults to take a child into the back country.
Others simply do not take their child into the back country until they are mature enough to do a self rescue (hike for help).
In my case, I have taught my children that if anything happens to shelter in-place and wait for rescue. Plans have been left behind with a responsible adult so that if we are over due, authorities can be alerted.

perdidochas
03-12-2014, 14:02
I have read many articles of father and son hikes and began to ponder at what age the younger son could appreciate the hike. I understand that every kid is different on the maturity meter, and that the physical aspect is different for both hikers. I would not take a 4 year old on a thru hike, but what about a 6,7,8 year old?

All of the above are too young. I'd say a teenager, minimum. I know younger have done it, but I don't think it's a good thing.

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2014, 14:05
I found that my 4yo didn't have the coordination to walk in the woods... they kept tripping over the smallest root or rock, and couldn't handle hills.

By age 5, they could basically hike, and by age 6 I was taking them on their 1st major hike (a trip to LeConte Lodge in GSMNP).
By age 7, they were finally big enough that they could at least carry their own cloths, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad. (I carry enough without having to add all their stuff too).

Otherwise, you've got to consider the "what-ifs"... specifically, "what if something happens to you?". Sure it is unlikely, but in recent months we've had news stories of adults dying for medical reasons (heart attack) or simply disappearing (perhaps tripped and fell down a mountain). What is your plan for the child in that case.

Some adults insist that there be at least two adults to take a child into the back country.
Others simply do not take their child into the back country until they are mature enough to do a self rescue (hike for help).
In my case, I have taught my children that if anything happens to shelter in-place and wait for rescue. Plans have been left behind with a responsible adult so that if we are over due, authorities can be alerted.My children basically progressed as yours. We did mostly overnights and weekend hikes up to 8 years old keeping the miles low part due to the physical aspect and also as they love to stop for every bug, critter, and even every cool looking rock, etc. We spent at least as much time on camping skills (making camp, building a fire, cooking, washing, etc) as we did on hiking. As they got older we took longer 3 day to week trips but in the end, only one really got into it and stayed a hiker later in life, which is probably par for the course. I always planned hikes with "bug out" points in mind if needed, which we had to do once due to weather. I also always brought lots of fun stuff like smores, hot chocolate, etc.

Spirit Walker
03-12-2014, 14:19
Cindy Ross wrote a book several years ago about taking kids on the trail. You need to focus on their needs, not your mileage. It usually means very short days with lots of breaks. They usually get very bored walking all day every day. If you followed Buddy Backpacker, you probably noticed that they took a lot of time off the trail. Kind of one day hiking followed by one or two days off trail, especially at the end.

A few years ago someone who had thruhiked the trail at age 8 came on one of the forums and said that they had absolutely hated the whole thruhiking experience, but they didn't tell their parents because it was so important to them. That stuck with me. Kind of like a dog, who will kill itself to please its owners. Kids who go on the trail don't have a lot of choice in the matter. They can whine and they can cry, but since the parents usually discourage that, they may end up suffering in silence. If your kids really love both hiking and camping, that's different. But you need to be very aware of what is really happening inside your kid's head/heart.

Spirit Walker
03-12-2014, 14:20
Cindy's book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/570882.Kids_in_the_Wild

perdidochas
03-12-2014, 16:05
Cindy Ross wrote a book several years ago about taking kids on the trail. You need to focus on their needs, not your mileage. It usually means very short days with lots of breaks. They usually get very bored walking all day every day. If you followed Buddy Backpacker, you probably noticed that they took a lot of time off the trail. Kind of one day hiking followed by one or two days off trail, especially at the end.

A few years ago someone who had thruhiked the trail at age 8 came on one of the forums and said that they had absolutely hated the whole thruhiking experience, but they didn't tell their parents because it was so important to them. That stuck with me. Kind of like a dog, who will kill itself to please its owners. Kids who go on the trail don't have a lot of choice in the matter. They can whine and they can cry, but since the parents usually discourage that, they may end up suffering in silence. If your kids really love both hiking and camping, that's different. But you need to be very aware of what is really happening inside your kid's head/heart.

Great advice. I think hiking is great for kids. I don't think thru hiking would be for most kids. I remember reading posts by the kid in the family that thru-hiked. It was pretty sad.

Sarcasm the elf
03-12-2014, 19:14
Check out the book Zero Days" by barbara egbert and gary chambers, they are a couple who thru-hiked the PCT with their 10 year old daughter, who at the time was the youngest person to thru that trail.

One of the things that they really emphasized was that they didn't just start out hiking the PCT, they had been hiking with their daughter since when she was a baby and they had done multiday and long distance hikes since she was age five or so. The whole book is a positive look at the reality of hiking as a family.

https://www.wildernesspress.com/authors.php?authorid=205

Hot Flash
03-12-2014, 20:52
For another perspective you could read the Barefoot Sisters' account of the Family From The North. Not that I'm holding that up as a good example for you.

The depiction of that family made me angry. Even through the eyes of the barefoot sisters, who obviously liked the family, it was apparent that those children and the wife were being abused by the patriarchal religious fervor of the father. I felt so bad for those kids, and I hope that their father has gotten some sense slapped into him (or tossed into jail for child endangerment and tax evasion) and that the mother has learned to stand up to him and protect her children rather than letting a tyrant abuse them.

msupple
03-13-2014, 01:33
Google....Balls and Sunshine. Their trail journal will pop up.

Feral Bill
03-13-2014, 10:29
The depiction of that family made me angry. Even through the eyes of the barefoot sisters, who obviously liked the family, it was apparent that those children and the wife were being abused by the patriarchal religious fervor of the father. I felt so bad for those kids, and I hope that their father has gotten some sense slapped into him (or tossed into jail for child endangerment and tax evasion) and that the mother has learned to stand up to him and protect her children rather than letting a tyrant abuse them. At this time the kids are grown and the parents divorced. On of the grown children spoke up on these forums as having not liking the trip at all.

Just Bill
03-13-2014, 10:57
I've been debating how best to get my boy out and about (3 1/2), especially as my wife is due with our second in June and she's ready for her boys to beat it.

Solo backpacking with a child that age seems out- definetely a two parent sport even with SUL gear. Each child is different but I have a feeling I'll wait until he can cover a 10 mile dayhike on his own. Two and under we had no issues bringing him wherever, but now that he's an independent little fella that doesn't seem realistic.

Not that it's the end of the world, but I would have a hard time with a 5 mile or less trip. At that point I'd rather car camp/day hike or do something else. Gearing up for such a short period of his life seems little worth the payoff and more likely to end in disaster for both of us. My experience with my child and others is to get em up early, keep em busy, and put em down for naps and sleep. While it's fun to dream that my child would be fascionated base camping somewhere and counting leaves I don't think it's realistic to expect a little one to be happy sitting around camp for 8-10 hours a day- sounds mostly like a frustrating experience for Dad.

Car camping seems like an easy start, we've been doing that since he was a baby and he likes that. I'd reccommend that to anyone since if you can't sleep outside the rest is a waste of effort. We also read odd books and "play" camping around the house to get him exited for it.

Going to try the canoe this spring and see how he likes that- much easier way to carry gear. As long as he's comfy it will give him some room to squirm around and with him in the bow I can keep a close eye on him too. A pad and umbrella would make a fine spot for naptime in the boat and the motion of the water and changing scenery should keep him interested.

My son likes riding bikes too. We have the over the wheel seat and a bike trailer, figured I'd combine them. For my area this looks like the winner. Easy to carry gear, and with the behind dad seat or trailer there are some options for the boy regarding seating during travel time. As even a few hours on a bike will net you some decent mileage it also seems like the best plan, especially as I have routes that lead through state parks with playgrounds and other fun distractions.

I guess all I'm getting at- start early, start with car camping or backyard adventures. The hardest thing for me- keeping expectations in check and being a Dad first. As much as I desperately want my buddy to hit the woods with me, from all advise on the subject that seems like the fastest way to ensure just the opposite.

Of course there's always The Mason's. Bill Mason had his kids in the canoe and on serious trips from infancy- but not the life for everyone...

hayshaker170
03-13-2014, 21:10
My son and I started hiking the AT when he was 10. Just don't make it an Olympic event. Keep his pack weight light. Don't expect more than 5 miles a day. Start on some shorter day hikes to prove out his equipment. The only problem my son had was home sickness a few nights right before bedtime. Maybe bring something from home (book or toy) in case that happens.

Prime Time
03-13-2014, 22:26
I watched a 5 year old doing a thru hike with his Dad (or mother's significant other???) last year and had the following observations. The child seemed to handle the hiking fine and his "Dad" seemed to pace him properly. Here's my issue with the whole thing. The kid looked lost in a strange, unfamiliar world. The person on the trail nearest to him in age was about 14. All the 5 year old did in camp was stare at his electronic device (iPhone, game boy, I don't know). He wouold go an hour or more without saying a word. All my hiking partner and I could think was the kid should have been playing with kids his own age and drawing pictures to hang on the refridgerator. Very sad if you ask me.

myakka_
03-13-2014, 22:34
Other than really short trips, my son was about 12 when we first went on a serious hike. We made a vacation out of hiking in to all the waterfalls we could find in upper South Carolina. He is almost 18 now, and we seldom hike together, but he still talks about that vacation in more glowing terms than any of our disney trips or anything.

I do really agree with the idea that a small child needs company that he can relate to, so if you do take them on the trail, take 2 LOL

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2014, 22:38
Buddy at 5 is too young - glad he did it.. 10 is a pita - I was the youngest member of Wilmington Trail Club on the AT at ten.. first time out was a 10 miler...1971 passed my Kayak Safety course with them - went on to be a cert.lifeguard with the state of Illinois. Great Job at 17! High School Lifeguard at 18.

Serious make it fun - day hikes not on weekends. Short stuff point out weeds, trees, birds, critters, carry favorite foods and cool snacks. Jerky and String Cheese or the waxy Moo cow, Build like Lego from there. Show a survival trick, maybe walk a dog too. Good Luck!

turtle fast
03-17-2014, 17:26
I couldn't fathom taking a 5 year old on a thru. At 5 many kids barely listen to direction, though it makes me wonder what the kid was thinking about the journey. Was it out of a motivation "Oh, I don't want to loose dad" where dad was in the front? ....yea, he did it...but what did the kid get out of it?

lonehiker
03-17-2014, 17:39
I would have to see Buddyhiker before I could come to any type of conclusion as to if he is too young. They are starting before I am so unsure of whether or not we will cross paths. I am hoping that we do. Want to shake his hand and congratulation him on his accomplishments.

MuddyWaters
03-17-2014, 18:07
Being able to do it, and wanting and enjoying it are two totally different things.
Ive read where some famous thru-hike families of the past had kids that years later said they hated it. Others said it was the best memory of their childhood.
It all depends.

Shutterbug
03-17-2014, 18:13
I watched a 5 year old doing a thru hike with his Dad (or mother's significant other???) last year and had the following observations. The child seemed to handle the hiking fine and his "Dad" seemed to pace him properly. Here's my issue with the whole thing. The kid looked lost in a strange, unfamiliar world. The person on the trail nearest to him in age was about 14. All the 5 year old did in camp was stare at his electronic device (iPhone, game boy, I don't know). He wouold go an hour or more without saying a word. All my hiking partner and I could think was the kid should have been playing with kids his own age and drawing pictures to hang on the refridgerator. Very sad if you ask me. Oblivous hiked the AT. If I remember correctly, he was 8 at the time. When I met him, he was already in Maine and seemed to be doing fine.

Last Call
03-17-2014, 19:02
Taking a youngster and introducing them to backpacking is one thing; using them for a shameless publicity stunt is quite another. That being said, my 8 y.o. thoroughly enjoyed her 3 days on the AT last summer, any more would have been too much. My 13 y.o. was ready to get off the Trail after 2 days. All that being said, HYCH, not torture your child because it's something YOU want them to do.

Almost There
03-17-2014, 20:43
Taking a youngster and introducing them to backpacking is one thing; using them for a shameless publicity stunt is quite another. That being said, my 8 y.o. thoroughly enjoyed her 3 days on the AT last summer, any more would have been too much. My 13 y.o. was ready to get off the Trail after 2 days. All that being said, HYCH, not torture your child because it's something YOU want them to do.

Last Call, I have to agree with you. Kids under the age of 8 rarely know what "they" like yet, other than "they" like being with mom and dad...so much like hiking with a dog they will continue on to make their parents happy, regardless of how "they" really feel.

I'm taking my 4.5 year old out this weekend in Georgia. We'll do three days, no more than 7 miles each day, and it is is to bail if he's hating it. Right now he is excited, but I am aware enough to know that part of it is getting out and having me all to himself...the hike is secondary at this point. Personally, as someone who has spent almost twenty years working with children I cannot advocate taking a child under ten on a thru-hike. I think it is about putting yourself and what you want before what is good for the child, but parents will do as they wish. Also I would say the AT is one thing, but to take a small child on a thru-hike of the PCT or CDT is foolhardy. I say this because of desert hiking and high passes...what if you run out of water, or you have to self-arrest in a high pass. It was scary enough when I had to self arrest once in Colorado...I can't imagine what I would have done if my six year old had to, let alone handing him an ice axe...sometimes it is ok to wait...and if you can't you need to ask yourself why.

Before someone jumps on me, I called Warren Doyle out a few years back for advocating that it is ok to ford the Kennebec with small children. Personally, to me there can be similar dangers along either major western trail, and many smaller western trails better left to those more physically capable than a child under 10.

I want to thru-hike one day with one of my boys, or both, but when they're ready, and they tell me they want to do it.

Almost There
03-17-2014, 20:48
I'd also add this, my dad used to always say when it comes to money, "just because you can do it, doesn't mean you can afford it." Too many people make the mistake of doing things they can't afford...the same can be said of various endeavors we do with our children. Just because you're ready, doesn't mean they are. I'll shut-up now.

Last Call
03-18-2014, 17:55
Well said, "Almost There".

Other
03-19-2014, 05:13
I have never hiked with a child on my thru hikes, but I would suggest doing it before they reach the age of 14, and then only after they hit 25 or so. the years in between would be too difficult.

cthomasy
03-27-2014, 10:21
I have a question, I'm 16 now but I will be starting my solo NOBO thru-hike in 2015 when I'm 17. Is this too young? I'm just wondering what thru-hikers think of younger solo hikers.

bamboo bob
03-27-2014, 10:48
We've all seen kids overloaded and dragged on trips by enthusiastic dads. I recall one dad toughening up his kid on the AT years back. I felt very bad for them both.
Car camp and day hike until the kids ask about overnighting and then short mileage trips. I took my son to Baxter. He seemed to enjoy it after about two days and really bonded summiting Mt Kahtadin. Twenty-five years later he went car camping with his wife and that's it for him. My daughter has been on many short backpacking trips. Her trail name is Bamboo Shoot!

Feral Bill
03-27-2014, 11:34
I have a question, I'm 16 now but I will be starting my solo NOBO thru-hike in 2015 when I'm 17. Is this too young? I'm just wondering what thru-hikers think of younger solo hikers. People that age have successfully done so. Your chances depend on motivation, experience, preparation, and luck. There's only one way to find out.

Almost There
03-27-2014, 12:07
Took my 4.5 year old on a hike this past weekend from Springer Lot to Gooch Gap. We did a small blue-blaze on 42, and a short hitch to keep his mileage under 7 each day, which was almost overkill. He loved it, was a hit at the shelters, and keeps talking about how awesome it was...even though there were times I felt bad for taking him...guess I came close to going over his limit, but kept it just under. Now that I've spent 3 days and two nights out with him, I am convinced of one thing...and this is my opinion as someone who has spent most of his career with children, and has hiked with a young child...the recommendation is a mile per year of age under the age of ten, and I would say that it holds true. Second, anyone who claims they regularly have hiked 10+ miles a day on the AT with a child under 6 is full of krap. Their legs are only so long, and when you take into account krappy conditions, and rough sections of the trail...When my little guy was energized he could hike close to 2mph on flat or downhill trail, but as he tired, and you dealt with uphills/rough terrain he could drop well below a 1 mph. At times I had to hold his hand, and at others he was on the verge of tears. You cannot task motivate children that young.

People who claim 5 year olds can do 16 miles per day...count on people believing it because they themselves have never backpacked with young children over multiple days. In other words, I have to say I'm crying BS on a certain supposed thru-hike based upon my own experiences...I do this because I think it is irresponsible for someone to claim this, and as a byproduct have others think it is possible, subjecting their children to misery. BTW, I don't think they made their child miserable, I just think they let the tail wag the dog because of the attention/stuff they were getting from others wanting to believe in the amazing.

Before anyone says I'm being mean spirited, if you have children think about your child at 5, and how they would have been if you had made them walk 10 hours a day for 10 plus miles on a "nice" day. Now add snow drifts and cold, or freezing rain...just saying I held my breath until I took my very hyper and active child whose max miles were 7 in 6-7 hours hiking...16 is more than double that.

Now as for 17 being too young...physically you're perfect. If you feel you have the maturity to do it, then go for it!

turtle fast
03-31-2014, 16:24
Awesome response....that old adage of a mile per year of age I find to be true as well. This discussion on the ages of young children and how many miles to plan for a hike is quite insightful.....especially for those of us who wish to enjoy time with our kids and as an alternative to our kids who are connected to their electronic gizmos like zombies.

Drybones
03-31-2014, 19:34
Two of the "memorable" hikers I met on the AT was a father/daughter combo just south of Hot Springs. The day I met them they had hiked 19 miles, the dad was done for, the little girl (a doll) was still going strong.

HooKooDooKu
03-31-2014, 20:15
Two of the "memorable" hikers I met on the AT was a father/daughter combo just south of Hot Springs. The day I met them they had hiked 19 miles, the dad was done for, the little girl (a doll) was still going strong.
That's me with my boys last week doing a hike in Grand Canyon. The 1st day we did the 7 mile South Kaibab Trail all the way to the bottom. The second day, we did the 9 mile Bright Angle back to the top... the 7 year old was the 1st out of the Canyon.

Almost There
03-31-2014, 20:37

See that's the thing, the minute we'd get into the shelter, after a few minutes he was wired and looking to play with people. It is amazing how fast they recover...but it's the day after day grind that wears down the little ones. They're only good for 2 maybe 3 days in a row, and then they need a day off.

Great stories however! I'll also say 7,8, or 9 is a lot different than 4 or 5. There's a family out thru-hiking (parents with two daughters). The youngest daughter is struggling to do 8-10 miles a day. He was asking for advice. I told him to give her a couple more weeks to find her legs, and if she doesn't then, even though it isn't what he wanted to hear he might have to accept that thru-hiking isn't for his youngest. He took it real well, and I think it is a dream for him and his wife, but he's realizing he can't make his daughter miserable. I hope she gets her legs, but if not that I'm right and they'll do the right thing. She was a sweet girl, and they seemed a great family.

turtle fast
04-03-2014, 00:17
Its funny because this past weekend my almost five year old and I were hiking our normal circuit on the Seven Bridges Trail along the shore of Lake Michigan (my little guy knows most of the trail system by heart) and coming up from the beach to a bluff with a small ravine that was soaked in mud by the winter runoff my guy said we can do it. I was skeptical that he could do it as it was a muddy bog on an extremely high angle...but we went up a ways and I was slipping and sliding. I said lets turn back...and he said "I can do it dad" and he shot up the ravine...then when waiting for me he fell in the mud on the flat up on top. Myself was grabbing at roots and branches slipping and sliding and saying things (I told him was French but was not). I get to the top and we were both muddy...but he was having a ball and relished in his ability to overcome adversity better than his dad.

Feral Bill
04-03-2014, 01:03
Its funny because this past weekend my almost five year old and I were hiking our normal circuit on the Seven Bridges Trail along the shore of Lake Michigan (my little guy knows most of the trail system by heart) and coming up from the beach to a bluff with a small ravine that was soaked in mud by the winter runoff my guy said we can do it. I was skeptical that he could do it as it was a muddy bog on an extremely high angle...but we went up a ways and I was slipping and sliding. I said lets turn back...and he said "I can do it dad" and he shot up the ravine...then when waiting for me he fell in the mud on the flat up on top. Myself was grabbing at roots and branches slipping and sliding and saying things (I told him was French but was not). I get to the top and we were both muddy...but he was having a ball and relished in his ability to overcome adversity better than his dad. priceless .

theatiger
04-03-2014, 06:23
Its funny because this past weekend my almost five year old and I were hiking our normal circuit on the Seven Bridges Trail along the shore of Lake Michigan (my little guy knows most of the trail system by heart) and coming up from the beach to a bluff with a small ravine that was soaked in mud by the winter runoff my guy said we can do it. I was skeptical that he could do it as it was a muddy bog on an extremely high angle...but we went up a ways and I was slipping and sliding. I said lets turn back...and he said "I can do it dad" and he shot up the ravine...then when waiting for me he fell in the mud on the flat up on top. Myself was grabbing at roots and branches slipping and sliding and saying things (I told him was French but was not). I get to the top and we were both muddy...but he was having a ball and relished in his ability to overcome adversity better than his dad.

Made my morning! Right on son.: )

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Almost There
04-03-2014, 12:00

That's awesome! Great story!

My 4.5 year old fell on his first little stream crossing. He watched me step from rock to rock, and as I turned to help him, knowing his feet weren't big enough, he pulled his best "Dad I can do it!" face, and stepped on a pointed rock that sent him down into the water. Normally at home he would have cried and lost it, but on the trail he whimpered a little, but we took of his wet fleece, and joked about it as we continued down the trail. It's amazing how they change when it's just "him and dad."

Raoul
04-03-2014, 22:32
While doing a week long section in northern Virginia, I met an 8 year old and his father who have been hiking for 2 weeks.
Not only was I impressed that the youngster stuck with it that long, I was aghast to see that the child was hiking barefoot.

OutdoorsMan
04-03-2014, 23:02

slbirdnerd, I am an ASM in a Boy Scout Troop. I teach all the outdoors type MB's including Hiking, Backpacking, Canoeing, Wilderness Survival, Orienteering, etc. Regarding Backpacking - I have always told the boys that you don't have to be a backpacker to be a Boy Scout but you MUST be a camper. I have tried to "plant the seeds" for Backpacking and see what sprouts. It will be the minority who will get the backpacking bug but for those few who do, it is a very satisfying thing to see. I took two crews to Philmont, 4 adults and 6 boys in each crew. Of these 12 boys, 2 or maybe 3 have the backpacking "bug". These 2-3 boys who have the "bug" have all told me that they hated their first or second weekend trip. Since some of our Troop campouts were short backpacking trips, they had little choice but to go again and each time they refined their gear, began helping younger Scouts and enjoyed each trip more. So I guess that I am saying "Don't lose hope". I would suggest that you try to gradually try to increase the challenge of each trip. BTW - One of these 2-3 boys is now on a thru-hike of the AT. He passed the 100 mile mark yesterday and is now in Franklin, NC. He is 18 years old. He has encountered some tough conditions - rain, snow, cold and even heat in the 11 days that he has been on the trail. I spoke to him today and asked him how he is doing and he said "I am having a blast"!

Laffangurl
04-04-2014, 13:39
As mom of 3, will agree with every comment about all being different! And just like each of us, will have different preferences and likes. Agree is important to look out for what they are capable of doing as well as what they enjoy doing. My ten y/o son has been a trooper on day hikes, and some very hot muggy Virginia summer hikes too. I think small steps and keeping it fun, letting them do some of the planning (well, giving them choices that they can believe they 'planned' at least ;-) are best.
I've taken him camping and hiking but spring break will be his first backpacking trip combining it all. To maximize adventure and fun, but minimize anxiety of the unknown, we're going to 'basecamp' at a koa a night, let him set up, help cook, etc in a relatively familiar environment (similar but step further to backyard or local campground); we're taking a day to do Luray caverns; and the other day/nights in Shenandoah. Hoping the blend proves adventurous without overkill. With lots of great stories to take back to school! And it seems to help to somewhat let him set pace, know ok to say 'breaktime' and help navigate by asking him to check the map, look at his compass etc.

lemon b
04-05-2014, 00:46
With mine we set up a base. Basicly car camping and then ventured out over night from base. The now 28 year enjoys hiking. Youndr one will go once in awhile but just isn't his thing at this point. We've done 40 miles over 3 days together and he was ready to to be home. Older ones been out weeks. When the bug hits the bugs hits. We just can show the what we enjoy. Rest is up to them as they become adults. I will not hike with a whiner.

lonehiker
04-05-2014, 09:33
Appears Buddybackpacker is in San Diego (starting PCT Apr 5??). Read a journal post that referenced him and his family staying at a trail angels house.

Almost There
04-05-2014, 21:01
Appears Buddybackpacker is in San Diego (starting PCT Apr 5??). Read a journal post that referenced him and his family staying at a trail angels house.

I hope he stays safe...and I'll keep my other thoughts to myself;)

Hill Ape
04-06-2014, 06:19
Proverbs 22:6 Raise up a child in the way that he should go. Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I have four son's, all enjoy hiking. Only one truly enjoys backpacking.

I am a big believer in letting a child be themselves. We only guide.

Almost There
04-06-2014, 09:07
Proverbs 22:6 Raise up a child in the way that he should go. Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I have four son's, all enjoy hiking. Only one truly enjoys backpacking.

I am a big believer in letting a child be themselves. We only guide.

Well said! Many parents today have forgotten that having kids isn't about "them", but about the kids...and that kids don't make decisions and/or see things the way a grown adult does. They don't really know what they like, hate, or have the ability to reason and/or express emotion in the same manner as mature adults. Tweens and Teens are better at it, but science has shown even their brains aren't capable of true adult thinking.

To me, by ten they can begin to tell what they like, but if college kids can't decide on a major, then how can a six year old tell you how they want to live their life, or what kind of an adult they want to be. My almost 6 year old still wants to be Batman...and my little hiker wants to be a Neverland Pirate...;)

lonehiker
04-06-2014, 09:14
I think Buddybackpacker wants to be Superman based upon one of his videos. Perhaps he already is..........

Almost There
04-07-2014, 10:37
I think Buddybackpacker wants to be Superman based upon one of his videos. Perhaps he already is..........

I'm sure the kid is awesome...most his age are. Back when I taught high school, even the most annoying teenager was never as bad as the parent who raised him/her. Adults always ruin it...kids just get dragged along, and down the rabbit hole.

Mags
04-07-2014, 11:26
I am very close to the sons of my friends here in town. I am an honorary uncle and spend more time with them then my own niece back home (sigh. Time and money limit how much I can see the family back East)

This is the third year in the row we'll be taking the oldest (not-quite-eight) out backpacking. Joining the trip this year is his five year old son. Well, at the time of the backpacking trip. :)

I just know from previous year, young children want to stay by the lake, check out the old mine ruins on the trail, look at the fish and skip rocks. Hiking is the way to get there. And, have lemon slushies of course. :) (Snow, a little bit of water, and some Country Time lemonade powder)

I imagine even doing a "slow" thru-hike of 8-10 MPD would be difficult for most children.

Almost There
04-07-2014, 12:17
I am very close to the sons of my friends here in town. I am an honorary uncle and spend more time with them then my own niece back home (sigh. Time and money limit how much I can see the family back East)

This is the third year in the row we'll be taking the oldest (not-quite-eight) out backpacking. Joining the trip this year is his five year old son. Well, at the time of the backpacking trip. :)

I just know from previous year, young children want to stay by the lake, check out the old mine ruins on the trail, look at the fish and skip rocks. Hiking is the way to get there. And, have lemon slushies of course. :) (Snow, a little bit of water, and some Country Time lemonade powder)

I imagine even doing a "slow" thru-hike of 8-10 MPD would be difficult for most children.

Mags, well said! The highlight of my little guys hikes are once we're done for the day when he gets to visit with people.

I agree I've seen enough kids between 8 and 10 who struggle with 10MPD...It's been claimed by I'd love to see the 5 year old who can do 22MPD and average over 15MPD...I say it from the perspective of their strides are only so big, and so I figure for every mile I hike, I figure my little guy must hike my equivalent of 1.5-2 miles...so a 22 mile day for me would be a 33-44 mile equivalent for him and a 15 mile day would be a 22.5 to 30 mile day.

I say stick to ending the day early, and enjoying camp. I like the Country Time Idea...great idea for taking advantage of the snow out west! My little guy likes to sit around by the fire, and thinks gathering wood is a special treat.

Here's a pic of my little guy...trail name: Barbaloot or B-Loot for short.

turtle fast
04-07-2014, 15:10
Buddybackpacker is now hiking the PCT? Wow. I cant help but wonder how a child body at such a young age physiologically handles the hike. Essentially they are developing muscle groups that normally would not be as developed and coupled with a kids faster growth rate...(makes me wonder). I do give credit that the kid must listen better to his dad than my 4 year old listens to me!