PDA

View Full Version : Hiking itinerary in spreadsheet form?

he.who.forgets
03-12-2014, 12:29
I'm wondering if any past or aspiring thru-hikers have created a spreadsheet in their planning stages that outlines a general hiking itinerary of estimated miles per day, camp locations, re-supply points, etc. I realize that sticking to such an itinerary would be impossible, but I'm trying to put something together to give me a round about idea of where I'd be for the duration of my hike. I'm including columns for info such as distance from last shelter, miles hiked to date, water source, shelter capacity, trail towns, etc. If anyone has done something similar and is willing to share, I'd be very appreciative!

he.who.forgets
03-12-2014, 12:35
Also, I realize that the ALDHA Companion guide contains a lot of this information, but the nerd in me, likes spreadsheets :)

colorado_rob
03-12-2014, 12:41
I'm wondering if any past or aspiring thru-hikers have created a spreadsheet in their planning stages that outlines a general hiking itinerary of estimated miles per day, camp locations, re-supply points, etc. I realize that sticking to such an itinerary would be impossible, but I'm trying to put something together to give me a round about idea of where I'd be for the duration of my hike. I'm including columns for info such as distance from last shelter, miles hiked to date, water source, shelter capacity, trail towns, etc. If anyone has done something similar and is willing to share, I'd be very appreciative! Yep, I have a spreadsheet with all the mileage points from the AT conservancy web site in the columns, and a "miles per day" cell I enter, along with my start date, and another column "solves" for the date when I'll be where. I manually put a zero day now and then just to better estimate when I'll be at the various mileages. I do this because last year my wife met me at two spots along the way and hiked with me for some time both times, and this spreadsheet estimate allowed us to know where to meet me when. I also made a couple reservations at B&B's in advance, knowing when I'll be when, along with where/when to mail resupply boxes. I was able to easily follow the sheet within one day either way.

I realize (and you should too, OP) than the majority of AT thru-hikers don't follow any sort of a schedule and wing it, and that works great for most. I like my little spreadsheet, and it was no problem to setup. I will share if you want it for a starting point.

lonehiker
03-12-2014, 12:49
If you want something more general, I created a spreadsheet that incorporates Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles with data from Map Man's AT hiking statistics. Unfortunately it is only for an estimated 5 month hike. If interested PM me your e-mail address and I can send it to you.

he.who.forgets
03-12-2014, 12:53
Excellent, thanks very much to you both! If you're willing to share my email is [email protected]

Cheers!

colorado_rob
03-12-2014, 13:01
Excellent, thanks very much to you both! If you're willing to share my email is [email protected]

Cheers! On its way. I cleaned it up a bit, removed my notes and highlights.

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2014, 13:46
Here at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?221 , and also some at http://www.theatguide.com/ - you can copy and paste AWOL's 12, 15, 18 mpd plans right into excel or he'll send them to you.

Drybones
03-12-2014, 15:48
I sent you a PM with a spreadsheet I used for hiking Pearisburg, VA to Harpers Ferry, WV. I always plan conservatively, I believe the plan was to average 15.6 miles per day and take 25 days, ended up being 22 days and 17.6 miles per day average. I use it mainly for planning where to get off trail and get a way home and for resupply, highlighted yellow is resupply point. Going through ths spreadsheet planning helps familiarize you with the trail somewhat ahead of time.

Mike415
04-11-2014, 13:19
Would u send template to me

BCPete
04-11-2014, 14:26
Send you one that I've been working on - cheers!

Marta
04-11-2014, 21:34
I created a spreadsheet, and was significantly off schedule by about week 2. YMMV.

Sgt. Rock had the clever of idea of creating a carefully-planned itinerary, then burning it in a campfire the first night out on the Trail.

IMO creating a spreadsheet is a good way to familiarize yourself with possible resupply points, places you want to visit, and other points of interest. It also gives you something to do in the long months or years leading up to the actual hike, when you can't be outside doing local hikes. :)

FatMan
04-12-2014, 09:41
Plans are for city folk. Just start hiking and let your body tell you how far to go.

HeartFire
04-12-2014, 21:11
I'm with Sgt Rock - I had a spread sheet, by day 3 I was off of it (ahead, but later fell behind ) too much stress trying to stay with it. It is fun to plan and figure all this out ahead of time while waiting for your hike to start - but burn that thing before getting on the trail. Follow your feet and do what you can - no schedules.

he.who.forgets
04-12-2014, 22:17
Thanks to all that have sent over examples! And yes, I agree that most plans go out the window once you get on the trail. It's mostly for my wife's peace of mind to have an idea where I may be from time to time and so she has an idea where she may be meeting up with me once school lets out for summer.
Thanks again

MuddyWaters
04-12-2014, 22:29
The only value in it will be the learning and memorization of trail locations and distances you get from figuring it out. When you are done, just throw the spreadsheet away.
There are general guidlines that say where hikers will be, based on pace.

If you dont have a clue about what pace to expect, its all moot.

Odd Man Out
04-12-2014, 23:51
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd8osvnb9cbhh5v/AT.xlsx

There was a spreadsheet of AT data posted a couple of weeks ago. I took that and put some formulas in the spreadsheet for planning purposes. I can't speak for the accuracy of the data. I think this source was a little out of date, but some of it is still good. Anyway, you can see how the formulas work. In the column "start/stop/camp", you can put in a notation for where you start, stop or the night you camp. You can put anything you want in that column. If it isn't blank, the next two columns will show the miles per day and the total miles for the trip. The other cells are protected so you don't accidentally delete a formula. But you can unprotect the spreadsheet if you want to edit. There is a tab for NOBO and SOBO calculations.

colorado_rob
04-13-2014, 10:44
I'm with Sgt Rock - I had a spread sheet, by day 3 I was off of it (ahead, but later fell behind ) too much stress trying to stay with it. It is fun to plan and figure all this out ahead of time while waiting for your hike to start - but burn that thing before getting on the trail. Follow your feet and do what you can - no schedules. I do understand the pure joy of NOT doing much trail planning, but my particular style and life pretty much requires estimates of where I'll be when.

The whole nature of spreadsheets is that if they are worth anything, they instantly update to changes. For the one I wrote and use, I change one single cell and the sheet updates to wherever I'm at and estimates down the trail. I know my general pace, so it predicts very well for 2 weeks or so, and when it gets off (inevitably, of course), I simply adjust one cell and voila, it's back on track again. It's on my cell phone, so zero extra weight. And zero stress. Tap the app, correct one cell, send a text to wife or friends, good to go.

Having this spreadsheet enables me to much better coordinate where I meet friends and family who either join me for a while on the trail, or just meet me in a town for a sandwich and a beer. It also coordinates where/when for my wife to mail me supplies/food. And yes, I am a city boy, but I bet I spend more days hiking and more nights in a tent on average (over the years) then almost anyone on here.

rafe
04-13-2014, 11:19
How did anyone ever pull off a thru hike before PDAs and smart phones were invented? :rolleyes:

colorado_rob
04-13-2014, 11:23
How did anyone ever pull off a thru hike before PDAs and smart phones were invented? :rolleyes: Sooooo, since they ARE invented, are you saying that when you do long distance hiking you do not carry a phone? If not, then my hat's off to you! seriously. I still know a few holdouts, all old farts (like me).

I went to The Dark Side (phone on the trail) a few years ago, but sure love keeping in touch with my loved ones now and then. And I love having access to as many books as I want all for no weight penalty whatsoever (kindle app).

jeffmeh
04-13-2014, 12:05
I do understand the pure joy of NOT doing much trail planning, but my particular style and life pretty much requires estimates of where I'll be when.

The whole nature of spreadsheets is that if they are worth anything, they instantly update to changes. For the one I wrote and use, I change one single cell and the sheet updates to wherever I'm at and estimates down the trail. I know my general pace, so it predicts very well for 2 weeks or so, and when it gets off (inevitably, of course), I simply adjust one cell and voila, it's back on track again. It's on my cell phone, so zero extra weight. And zero stress. Tap the app, correct one cell, send a text to wife or friends, good to go.

Having this spreadsheet enables me to much better coordinate where I meet friends and family who either join me for a while on the trail, or just meet me in a town for a sandwich and a beer. It also coordinates where/when for my wife to mail me supplies/food. And yes, I am a city boy, but I bet I spend more days hiking and more nights in a tent on average (over the years) then almost anyone on here.

Could not have said it better myself. If one wants to coordinate anything around specific fixed dates, or hone in on a "floating" date to meet people along the way, or for a food drop, such a spreadsheet is invaluable as a tool to increase accuracy of near-term predictions.

rafe
04-13-2014, 12:28
I'm not an anti-phone crusader by any stretch but as a matter of fact I did walk the majority of the AT phone-less. That era ended around 2003 or so. I've only owned a proper, up-to-date smartphone since... around last December. Up till now as far as hiking's concerned, it's been never been more than a communications device.

I did my last long AT section with the aid of a spreadsheet I'd done up at home and printed on a single sheet of paper. That, plus my daily mileage, was enough info. I just never considered the idea of a live spreadsheet, on my smartphone -- not saying it's a bad idea, mind you. I'm a little leery of too much computing power in the woods. I'd hate to get dependent on it. (But I am considering having the phone be my camera, henceforth.)

Jberczel
04-25-2014, 15:16
Not specifically what OP is asking for, but here's my 2013 sobo data in graph form:
http://www.atjindo.com/img/data1.jpeg

I could send the excel data as well but it doesn't have resupply points, shelters, or any extra detail.

Some background: 29 yr old male (office worker) hiking with dog. I was is okay shape at the beginning.

Starting weight: 165 lbs
Ending weight: 145 lbs