PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Thru-Hike Registry

Pages : [1] 2

mountain squid
03-12-2014, 16:30
Time to make it official all you 2015ers!

Trail Name
Direction
Estimated Start Date
Approach Trail - yes or no
any additional info that you want the world to know

There's no turning back now! If you have the opportunity you might consider going to Trail Days (http://www.traildays.us/) this year. There are usually lots of gear vendors . . . .

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread or send me a PM.

After you have completed your hike, don't forget to report back in with completion dates and how far you hiked!

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone!

See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

Rockhead
03-12-2014, 18:40
Rockhead
NOBO
3/18/2015
probably

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-12-2014, 22:31
No trail name at present. It hasn't found me yet :-)
NOBO - it seems the wise approach for someone whose never done any long distance hiking.
March 9th for the actual start of the trail. Planning to arrive March 5th, do the lower half of approach trail from the arch, up the stairs, to the lodge. Will stay at the lodge 5th-8th for the Kick Off, then take off the morning of the 9th to finish approach and make Springer.
We'll let the rest come out over the next 358 days :-)

YesRushGen
03-13-2014, 15:36
Trail Name: None Yet
Direction: NOBO
Estimated Start Date: 3/12/2015
Approach Trail - nope!
Other Info: (pasted from meet and greet thread)
NOBO or SOBO: NOBO - Partly for the traditional
experience. Also, I want to be trail-hardened before dealing with the
Whites and Southern Maine. Also, Mt. Katahdin seems an epic way to
finish. Also, more people hike NOBO and I look forward to meeting new
and interesting people on trail.

Reason for thru hike: Because the AT is there. To undertake an epic
challenge. To prove I can plan, execute, and actually finish something
that's really hard and demanding. To break the mold of a comfortable,
formulaic daily routine. To gain a new appreciation for things that are
taken for granted on a daily basis. To see some fabulous scenery.

Experience: 30 or so multi-night (min 2, max 7) camping trips. Most were
in a barrier island habitat (False Cape State Park in VA), and a few
were in the Blue Ridge Mountains (Crabtree Falls area). Also several
10-12 mile day hikes (Torry Ridge Loop near Sherando Lake) a couple
years ago.

Blog: http://wanderingjourneys.net/at2015/

Kelly

NCn8chrgrrl
03-14-2014, 00:16
Blueberry
NOBO
Late Feb/early Mar
Yes, indeed
Nothing much beyond this... just trying to stay busy between now and then to help the time pass. Seems we're going to have a great class!

kayakchris
03-15-2014, 14:53
No trail name yet
NOBO
March 15, 2015
Yes. What's eight miles when I'll be hiking 2,180 more after that?
Reason: I've been grinding through school and following a straight path into the real world, but I figure that I need to take some time off after I graduate from college and do some hiking and soul searching.

Skinny Rooster
03-15-2014, 16:36
Trail Name - none yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - 3/15/2015
Approach Trail - you bet!

Mountain Due
03-16-2014, 11:05
Trail name - Mountain Due
Nobo
Estimated start March 20th
No to the approach trail
I just recently retired and need to do this. I'm more concerned about the mental aspects than I am the physical. It should be a great ride.

Sidd
03-16-2014, 16:39
Trail Name: None yet
Estimated Start Date: March 15th
Approach Trail: Mostly likely!

Carol A.
03-16-2014, 20:01
No trail name yet
NOBO
Mid March
No to the approach trail

War Eagle
03-29-2014, 01:34
Trail Name: Don't have one yet
Start Date: Mid March
Approach Trail: No

theatiger
03-29-2014, 12:55
Trail name:koitiger
Start date: late Feb.
Approach trail: yes

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Dahoyt
03-30-2014, 15:55
Trail Name: Dahoyt
Direction:NOBO
Start Date: Leaving from ATKO.
Approach: Yes.

Julio
03-30-2014, 16:09
Julio
NOBO
3/17/15
Not sure on the approach trail.

Boots and Backpacks
03-31-2014, 16:01
Trail Name: Scruffs & Woodstock
Start Date: 12/31/2014
Approach: Yes

wtrenda
03-31-2014, 17:12
Trail Name: No trail name yet
Start Date: 3/1/2015...Date may change
Approach: Probably

Conductor
03-31-2014, 17:45
Trail Name: Conductor from 2006
Start Date: 3.16.2015 Same day as I started in 2006

snodgrass
04-01-2014, 11:05
Start Date: Ideally March 15th
Approach: I am undecided. (I would be interested to know if you all think its worth it? Pros and cons? all that)

CaityJ
04-01-2014, 12:23
Trail Name: Has not been gifted to me yet ;)
Estimated Start Date: 3/28/15
Approach Trail: undecided, but will most likely end up doing it :)

snodgrass
04-01-2014, 15:48
Hey CaityJ my name is Samantha. I was just wondering if you are doing a solo hike? I will have friends join me on sections but on some parts I'll probably be by myself, do you have any experience with this?
Let me know :)

Caddywhompus
04-01-2014, 22:31
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - 3/15/15
Approach Trail - Maybe

Hogie
04-02-2014, 06:47
Trail Name: None at this time.
Start Date: March 17 (St. Patricks Day, of course)
Approach Trail: Probably not. I live in the Atlanta area and have already hiked that trail a few times.
Other: Backpacked quite a bit when I lived out West, but then kids came along and you know the rest. Retired now and wanted a new adventure and goal. Looking forward to the stroll and meeting other hikers.

Recalc
04-02-2014, 22:47
Trail Name: Recalc
Estimated Start Date: 04/15/2015
Approach Trail - Yes

YC 15
04-03-2014, 08:32
Trail Name: to be determined
ESD: March
Approach: certainly

Mosquito Bait
04-03-2014, 14:06
Trail Name: Mosquito Bait
Start Date: April 1st probably
Approach Trail: Yes!

SCsurf98
04-04-2014, 21:30
No trail name yet... looking forward to getting one :)
NOBO
Early March
Not sure about the approach trail... seems like a small detail in the grand scheme of things...

staciabennett
04-09-2014, 10:47
Direction: Undecided. I want to do NOBO but due to school, may end up having to do SOBO.
Estimated Start Date: mid-March for NOBO. If I end up going SOBO will start early June.
Approach Trail - Undecided
Any additional info that you want the world to know: With any luck I will graduate from grad school in December, then start my thru in March, NOBO. I'm doing this for many reasons: one last big adventure before the "real world", to challenge myself, to achieve my weight loss/fitness goals, and just because it's something I've wanted to do since I first set foot on the AT at a summer camp when I was in 6th grade. If school interferes and I end up having to take spring semester classes, I'll be heading out as soon as spring semester is over for a SOBO hike. It has to happen this year because of career goals, so I'll take NOBO or SOBO as long as I get to do it.

There's no turning back now! If you have the opportunity you might consider going to Trail Days (http://www.traildays.us/) this year. There are usually lots of gear vendors . . . .

After you have completed your hike, don't forget to report back in with completion dates and how far you hiked!

mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))[/QUOTE]

CaityJ
04-09-2014, 15:36
Direction: Undecided. I want to do NOBO but due to school, may end up having to do SOBO.
Estimated Start Date: mid-March for NOBO. If I end up going SOBO will start early June.
Approach Trail - Undecided
Any additional info that you want the world to know: With any luck I will graduate from grad school in December, then start my thru in March, NOBO. I'm doing this for many reasons: one last big adventure before the "real world", to challenge myself, to achieve my weight loss/fitness goals, and just because it's something I've wanted to do since I first set foot on the AT at a summer camp when I was in 6th grade. If school interferes and I end up having to take spring semester classes, I'll be heading out as soon as spring semester is over for a SOBO hike. It has to happen this year because of career goals, so I'll take NOBO or SOBO as long as I get to do it.

mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))[/QUOTE]

I am fighting with the same issues of grad school!!! I thought I would be done by December also, but due to the way they are offering the classes I need I am having to stay one more semester, ending March 22nd, to finish up. This was very disappointing due to it not only pushing back my start date for my NOBO hike, but also my resignation date for my job. The sooner I finish she earlier I can leave the place that brings me mundane misery!

gillian
04-09-2014, 21:12
Planning to go NOBO starting mid-march-ish. No trail name thus far - I prefer to leave that for the trail to decide. Coming from Iowa, so finding conditioning a challenge. Anyone else coming from the great plains?

Gillian

Hogie
04-13-2014, 19:33
Planning to go NOBO starting mid-march-ish. No trail name thus far - I prefer to leave that for the trail to decide. Coming from Iowa, so finding conditioning a challenge. Anyone else coming from the great plains?

Gillian

Yep. I originally hail from Ft. Dodge, IA. You should be fine with general conditioning, just give yourself time to acclimate to trail mileage when you first start out. Try to cut down on the chicken fried steaks as well.

Hillbilly Mac
04-14-2014, 21:45
Trail Name- Ain't got one yet...that's up to you folks
Direction- Up...er, NOBO
Estimated Start Date- Shooting for March, but it depends on a fellow Veteran's recovery from this year's AT injuries
Approach Trail- Not sure yet

Sober hiker (willing to hit AA meetings or have impromptu meetings trail-side although I'm not big on programs), Dedicating my hike to 32 KIA buddies & a family friend who was in SEAL Team 6 & KIA on Extortion 17- So for me it's Katahdin or Death, Disabled Veteran that has to take so many VA-issued pills the rattling will attract every pill-head for miles & none of them will get anyone high, Don't ask me about my PTSD, Please don't mind my swearing- 10 years in the Army & I don't realize I'm doing it, Willing to leave my buddy behind if Gillian & Hogie have chicken fried steak...it's awful, I know, but chicken fried steak!

hikingshoes
04-14-2014, 23:41
Trail name : Cruise Control
NOBO
start date: end of March or first of April
Approach Trail - nope!
Cruise

chathamrabbit
04-15-2014, 13:25
Chatham Rabbit: I am from Pittsboro, NC in Chatham County. Many years ago, our county was famous for having many, large rabbits. I was told that it was somewhat of a supplemental income for some of the residents. I saw a 1920's era picture of one man holding a rabbit and it was the size of a cocker spaniel! Residents of Chatham County were called Chatham Rabbits, hence my trail name.

Will be NOBO, with a start date of March 1, 2015

No plans as of yet, relative to approach trail, but am assuming that I will do the approach to southern terminus.

Plans are to hike with a friend. Both of us have had this on our bucket list, but had to wait until both of us had retired. Preparation is underway.

ctebeau
04-15-2014, 18:32
Trail Name: none yet
Direction: NOBO, the way to go
Estimated Start Date: March 1st
Approach Trail: for sure!

Need a break from college, take time to figure some stuff out. And what better way then to thru hike the AT!

Bonitajeff
04-19-2014, 14:02
No trail name yet
Mid April
Flip-Flop starting mid-April
Northbound

youngeric86
04-24-2014, 23:03
Trail name: Blastoise
Start date: march 29th
Approach trail: Nope

I had an unsuccessful attempt in 2013 and got off due to lack of funds after 700 miles. I am much more prepared this time and I won't let this be the issue of why I get off.

BonBon
04-25-2014, 12:01
Trail name- Hedberg (lame, it's my maiden name, but I love it)
Leaving on March 23 2015, NOBO
I plan to do the approach trail and hike to Neels Gap sometime this summer to check it out. But after reading some of the threads here, maybe I'll start at Neels Gap and hike down. Gotta buy gear somewhere, why not there? I read that book, Just Passing Through, and I really loved it. Can't wait to see the famous Mountain Crossings.
Anyway, if I do that hike this summer, I'll skip the approach trail in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bonitajeff
05-02-2014, 14:13
Direction: Flip-flop. Start midway north, back to middle southbound
Start Date: April 15th or so (Don't want to start in the cold)

Would not mind hiking with a partner.

zepphead80
05-06-2014, 08:11
Start Date: Early March

Trail Name: Lefty

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY / NYC

NOBO/SOBO: NOBO - I want to do the world's classic long-distance hike the classic way.

Reason: I've been living and working in NYC continuously for nearly twelve years and need to disconnect for a little bit.

Experience: Started backpacking in 1998 with the Penn State Outing Club (PSOC). I get out to the Adirondacks (20/46), Whites (18/48 NH), and Catskills whenever I can. I probably have at least a few hundred miles of hiking various stretches of the AT from VA up to NH. Time to connect the dots!

staciabennett
05-06-2014, 16:05
I am fighting with the same issues of grad school!!! I thought I would be done by December also, but due to the way they are offering the classes I need I am having to stay one more semester, ending March 22nd, to finish up. This was very disappointing due to it not only pushing back my start date for my NOBO hike, but also my resignation date for my job. The sooner I finish she earlier I can leave the place that brings me mundane misery![/QUOTE]

That really stinks! My issue is student teaching. I'm getting my masters but also working toward a teaching certification. I'll have taken all the required courses by December, but was supposed to spend spring semester student teaching. I've pretty much decided to postpone that in order to do the hike, though.

denefi
05-08-2014, 22:38
Trail Name - none yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date -April 13th
Approach Trail - yes or no - not sure yet, probably
any additional info that you want the world to know - I cycled from NC to CA in 2008. Haven't hiked much but looking forward to taking this on.

Spike 2015
05-10-2014, 10:35
Trail Name: Spike
Direction: NoBo
Start Date: 3/16/2015
Approach Trail: Yes!

Busfoot
05-13-2014, 02:15
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking on this site for a few years, and now that I'm finally planning my thru hike, I decided I better join.

Trail name: Busfoot
Start: Roughly March 1st
Approach: Most likely

I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you. Already counting down the days!

Speakeasy TN
05-13-2014, 09:45
Speakeasy will be out again in '15. Aborted the trip in '11 due to a death in the family. I will be going NOBO from the place I got off(roughly 300 miles in) after the April Fools Bash in Franklin. Ron's party is not to be missed!

cthomasy
05-13-2014, 09:56
Trail name- I don't have one yet
Direction- NOBO
Start Date- March 1st
Approach trail- yes, most likely!

I can't wait to start the trail and meet some great people/friends! See you all on the AT!

magneto
05-13-2014, 10:20
Trail Name - Magneto

Direction - Northbound

Estimated Start Date - March 4th, 2015

Approach Trail - yes, after a day or two at Amicalola.

Additional info: traditional middle-aged guy thru hike - start in Georgia, end in Maine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldNorth
05-15-2014, 11:00
Trail Name: none Direction: NOBO Estimated Start Date: TBD Approach Trail - TBD Plans are in motion to finally do this in 2015.

Tron-Life
05-15-2014, 17:34
I'll be starting out late in February from Springer and walking to Katahdin. Trail Name: Starman/Nocturno (I do a lot of night hiking and midnight star gazing)

I'm taking the spring, summer, and semesters off from my teaching job to hike the trail. I did a week long hike in Virginia this spring break and almost quit my job right then and there, but I would rather hike the whole trail at once, and my job is too good to just walk away from. I'm 29 and want to thru-hike before my career and family responsibilities become too overwhelming to be able to walk away from. I suppose that in a way this thru-hike will be the last hurrah of my irresponsible twenties and the beginning of a new phase of existence that is less free and spontaneous. The next time I will be able to do stuff like this will probably be when I hit the middle-aged, and hopefully well-off, retired adventurer stage of my life. Till then, I'm saving up and really looking forward to this great adventure!

Ricky&Jack
05-15-2014, 19:50
Trail Name: Husky Jack
E.S.D: March 20th 2015
Approach trail: Yes

Additional Info: My name is Ricky, but I'll be with my pet husky whom is named Jack. So "Husky Jack" is a good trail name to identify us, because "Husky Ricky" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Jacob Byrne
05-16-2014, 12:32
No trail name yet, haven't earned it
NOBO
March 15...ish
Approach trail: yes with my family

See you all in the future!!!
happy trails for now! :D

lordwilliam
05-17-2014, 15:57
Trail Name: lordwilliam
Direction: NOBO, why swim against the current?
Estimated Start Date: March 1 - 15
Approach Trail - Don't know yet.

New to long hiking but have been walking for the past year. Total about 2,850,000 steps so far. I use a fitbit for tracking. Anyone who wants to come hike in Colorado to train for the big one is welcome to contact me. Good altitude training where I live. My house is at 7500'. We could do some Colorado Trail or Continental Divide segments for training.

I think I will be back in NYC around July or August until December at least. I plan some segment hikes then.

See you all next year!

SawnieRobertson
05-17-2014, 19:13
You would do well to get with people near by who have hiked the entire AT to get tips. Besides that, they have good stories from which prospective thruhikers can learn. Mags did it when he was much younger, but he was primo even then. The VERY BEST thing you can do to prepare is to attend the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers 2014 Gathering at Williamstown, Massachusetts, October 12-14 with a volunteer trail maintenance for those who can afterwards. While there, you will find the same camaraderie that you will find later on the trail. When you read that it is for former thrus, dreamers, sectioners, wannabes, etc., you can accept that as pure fact.

saralynne1982
05-18-2014, 21:27
Hi!
1. No name yet-hopin one oftse fine folks will help me out!
2. NOBO
3. Mid March
4. Heck yes!
5. Been planning an preparing for two years. Can't wait to hit the trail!

TrippLite
05-19-2014, 02:37
Trail Name - TBD
Direction - NOBO
Start Date - March
Approach - Yes

Originally planned 2014 thru-hike but due to unfortunate and unforeseen circumstances I had to scrub plans. My grandson was born in March with a defective heart and he had to undergo hypoplastic heart surgery. Also my Lexus was stolen. Prayer and trust in God brings good news.. My grandson is doing great now and I received a call from Florida law enforcement at 2am yesterday that they recovered my car and its been towed to storage.... Hooray
So yeah, hopefully I see ya'll on the trail come 2015...

fastrr
05-21-2014, 10:10
1. Trail name (If you have one yet):
2. Direction - NOBO
3. Start date: Later February/Early March
4. Approach Trail: YES

jbarr493
05-22-2014, 19:10
Trail Name- not yet
Direction-NOBO
start date- march
approach trail- yes

planning to do a thru-hike for a while now, and finally got enough time to do it.. looking forward to meeting lots of new friends!

Siarl
05-23-2014, 08:33
Start Date: March 2015
Approach Trail: Yep
Grew up in the Appalachians and have been dreaming of doing this since I was a kid.

SteelCut
05-27-2014, 12:41
Trail Name: Unsure but I'll probably use SteelCut unless something else is bestowed upon me.
Direction: SOBO. I would prefer a solo experience with fewer people and since I live in the southern US, I like the thought of walking towards home.
Estimated Start Date: Late June.
Approach Trail: Nope, going SOBO.

I was planning on doing a SOBO starting June/July of this year but a number of personal/family issues caused me to delay the trip a year to 2015.

jgraydus
05-28-2014, 07:29
Trail Name; No trail name yet
Direction; NOBO
Estimate Start Date; March 15, 2015
Approach trail; Is it recommended?
Any additional info; Very excited for this upcoming experience, I think about it everyday as in...a year from now..where will I be, probably getting poured on and soaked, haha! I'm nervous about doing this myself, at least until I get into the swing of things, so I would be interested in a thru brother or sister.

Bonnster Monster
05-31-2014, 23:08
"Bonsai"
Flip-flop, Harpers Ferry to Katahdin then Harpers Ferry to Springer Mtn.
starting around 5/22/2015, after graduation
Still not sure about the Approach Trail, since it will be my "departure" trail

Check out my blog at http://bonnielikesnature.wordpress.com

cats.don't.camp
06-01-2014, 11:31
Trail Name: As much as I don't want to be named after something stupid I did, I'm gonna take my chances.
Estimated Start Date: March 19ish
Approach Trail: Yes, my husband and son are coming with me for a few Spring Break vacation days at Amicalola Falls SP. I'll head to the trail and they'll head home.

To help pass the time until next year, I've decided to visit every single Texas State Park. I won't reach my goal before the AT (there's just under 100 of them!) but it's been a pretty nice distraction so far. I'm new to backpacking but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Laugh at all my camping fails at http://catsdontcamp.wordpress.com.

David Green
06-04-2014, 07:27
Trail Name: Gonna have to earn that I think. :-)
Direction: NOBO - Timing works out better but I think it sounds cooler to claim the "classic" title, no?
Start Date: Aiming for 10 March or so...
Approach Trail: Haven't really decided...I mean on the one hand if I want to really hike the "whole thing" I guess I should...lol

Photog
06-08-2014, 10:51
Trail Name: Retread
Direction: Flip Flop Harpers Ferry to Katahdin then get a ride back to HF and backpack down to Springer.
Approach Trail: Yes....will be my last section on my flip flop hike

I figure i can avoid a lot of crowds and also most of the cold weather by doing this flip flop.

I attended Trail Days in Damascus this year. Great event!

SawnieRobertson
06-08-2014, 11:26
[QUOTE=Photog;1883832]Trail Name: Retread
Direction: Flip Flop Harpers Ferry to Katahdin then get a ride back to HF and backpack down to Springer.
[COLOR=#333333]Approach Trail: Yes....will be my last section

I figure i can avoid a lot of crowds and also most of the cold weather by doing this flip flop.>>

Hmmmmm. Interesting. What do you expect from weather mid-March?--Kinnickinic

permagrin
06-11-2014, 20:25
Trail Name-Moutain Dew
Direction-NOBO, Springer, GA to Harpers Ferry, WVA
Estimated Start Date: May 1, 2015
Approach Trail-absolutely!

This hike from Springer to the Harpers Ferry ATC sign will be the culmination of a 40 year dream. MD to Maine was never part of my dream. Maybe next time, though.

permagrin
06-11-2014, 20:31
Trail Name-Moutain Dew
Direction-NOBO, Springer, GA to Harpers Ferry, WVA
Estimated Start Date: May 1, 2015
Approach Trail-absolutely!

This hike from Springer to the Harpers Ferry ATC sign will be the culmination of a 40 year dream. MD to Maine was never part of my dream. Maybe next time, though.

lordwilliam
06-13-2014, 13:45
Trail Name: lordwilliam
Direction: NOBO, why swim against the current?
Estimated Start Date: March 1 - 15
Approach Trail - Don't know yet.

New to long hiking but have been walking for the past year. Total about 2,850,000 steps so far. I use a fitbit for tracking. Anyone who wants to come hike in Colorado to train for the big one is welcome to contact me. Good altitude training where I live. My house is at 7500'. We could do some Colorado Trail or Continental Divide segments for training.

I think I will be back in NYC around July or August until December at least. I plan some segment hikes then.

See you all next year!

The thought has occurred to me that it would be cool to celebrate my 67th birthday with a finish on Mt. Katahdin. I am wondering if October 17 is too late to finish.

Dosu
06-16-2014, 12:23
Dosu
NoBo
March 8th (my birthday)
not sure

dangerdave
06-21-2014, 14:52
Trail Name: Danger
Estimated Start Date : April 1st, 2015
Approach Trail: Definitely

I am retiring in January 2015 after 28 years as a career firefighter in my hometown of Chillicothe, Ohio. The idea to hike the AT seeded in my mind nearly thirty years ago, when I used to kayak the Nantahala River with some like-minded youths of my time. The plan sprouted from there; now comes the commitment. I have spent my entire life camping, hiking (day hikes), kayaking, mountain biking, snowboarding (which I absolutely love!), ATVing, and making wine---yes, I make wine. My impending departure from the fire service needed a mark of distinction.

In spite of all of my outdoor adventures, I have zero backpacking experience. I am currently reading, planning, and researching from ground zero, adding to my knowledge as I go. I plan to do no additional training in preparation, preferring to let the AT itself break me in. I hope to get to know some of you---here and on the trail---while I patiently wait for the startled look to vanish from my wife's face. :eek:

Bob55
06-22-2014, 00:10
Trail Name: Don't have one, but was called "Head" in a past period of my life, when I would think way too much.
Est. Start Date: Mid March I believe
Approach Trail: Not Sure, Did that Stair Case already, but it's a hell of a scenic way to start.

Life is throwing another curve ball atm, and if things don't change soon, it will change in a big way. If that happens, then I might as well make this dream come true. Been spending the last 3 weeks reading about it, pulling out my gear, deciding what to replace, etc. I've been doing 3 miles a day in soft to hard sand. Longest camping was 5 days. lots of 10 mile day hikes. Biggest worry is my knees, more than anything else.

Time passes fast, and before we know it we'll be meeting up on the AT.

overthinker
06-25-2014, 22:13
Trail Name: Ain't got one
Estimated Start Date: Early April
Approach Trail: Might as well, right?

Gonna quit my job and finally do this thing. I live around DC, so if anyone wants to do some shakedown hikes, hit me up!

Bindle Stiff
06-25-2014, 23:40
No trail name
NOBO with my 24 yo son
Start 1st week of March
Plan on having friend drive us down from MI , park at Hightower Gap hike to Springer with him and he'll drive back home on the return .
I will be 50 on Dec 29th and I may never have the chance again . Been camping / hiking since I was a kid , already have the gear , Army Infantry '82 to '88 so I hope I still have the mental fortitude ( though it seems a lifetime ago ) . No excuse not to !

lordwilliam
06-26-2014, 13:10
Trail Name: Lord William, just to keep things simple, also my company name.
Start Date: apx March 15
Approach: Maybe. Why not?
Why: I am a retired widower. I have nothing but time. I started walking a year ago to loose weight accumulated due to stress. Once I started walking there seemed no point to walking circles around the mall or the neighborhood, so I decided to put the walking to good use. I knew the AT from living in NY and NJ. I have camped all my life but hiking is new. I will be selling my house and giving my car to a grandson so I won't have any worries at home. Although I am to old to have been diagnosed with ADD, I know I have it as did my son and daughter and 4 of 6 grand kids. I have had a lifetime struggle completing things. I almost finished grad school, short 12 hours. I almost completed my MCSE (Microsoft certification). First marriage lasted 16 years ending in divorce. Second 20 years ending with wife's death. This is my opportunity to complete a major goal. I plan to finish atop Mount Katahdin on my 67th birthday (October 17). My training will mostly be in Colorado. I know it is a curse, but what can you do? I will be hiking the Barr Trail on Pikes Peak the weekend of June 27th and watching the Hill Climb Race on the 29th. I will also be hiking the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango (apx 500 miles) through the Colorado Mountains in July. I may go to NYC in the fall and do some section hikes on the AT, then back to Colorado. Training at altitude will give me a leg up for the start of the AT for the first week or so but after that I will just be another exhausted hiker at the end of the day.

Glimmer
07-02-2014, 12:13
Trail name: Letting the trail pick that. :)
NOBO.
Starting March 1st-ish.
Yes to the approach trail.

I'm a rather adventurous woman, and have been lacking the adventures lately. Why not?

Apollyon
07-02-2014, 15:37
Trail Name: Apollyon
Direction: Nobo
Start Date app. April 15
Approach Trail: undecided

Nobodhi
07-03-2014, 21:10
Name: Nobodhi
Direction: SOBO from midpoint to Georgia, then NOBO to Maine, then SOBO back to PA
Start: about March 15

ok... That's the hyper ambitious plan anyway. I live less than 5 miles from the trail about a days walk from Pine Grove Forrest. Figure I'll step off my porch and start walking... Then we'll see how it goes.

tk527
07-05-2014, 15:21
Trail name: I don't have one yet
Start date: Hopefully around the beginning of March
Approach: For sure!
Why: I will be graduating college in December and have been wanting to do this for awhile. I can't wait to get out in the woods!! I'm always down for a good adventure

Puppy
07-05-2014, 17:13
Puppy
Northbound
March 5th or so
Haven't decided on the Approach yet

Looking forward to it!

sasquatchhiker
07-05-2014, 17:46
Don't have a trail name yet!
NOBO all the way to Katahdin.
I plan to start on March 3rd.
I don't have a plan on when I will finish, I hope to meet some awesome people while I'm traveling.
Can't wait!

meat803
07-06-2014, 11:35
No trail name yet
NOBO
March 6th or so
Approach yes

I Live in Augusta, GA which is about 2-3 hrs away from Springer. I can host someone which has to travel a distance to get there. Preferably someone that can host me on a future JMT or NW hike. You can fly into Augusta and my GF will drive us up. Possibly interested in starting in AL and doing the Pinhoti Trail. That way one day when it is incorporated into the AT, I will have already done the deed. Hit me up if interested.

Snowcrash
07-10-2014, 11:37
Trail Name - Snowcrash
Direction - Northbound
Estimated Start Date - March 31st - April 1st
Approach Trail - Most likely

Will be hiking with a partner as of right now, even if that doesnt work out im still going though, will just have to shift a bit of gear around.

Pinhoti
07-10-2014, 15:16
Trail name - I'll have to earn that
Est. start date: ~3/20
Approach trail: undecided

rbacastow
07-11-2014, 14:21
Estimated Start Date: Feb. 15
Approach Trail – not if I can avoid it

See you on the trail!

1petey1958
07-13-2014, 17:38
Appalachian Trail
NOBO
2/28/2015 ?
Nimblewill Gap to Springer Mountain, GA

I am going to go as far as I can. It has been quite some time since I have hiked or camped for any length of time. I plan on beginning my regimen in August with some 3, 7, and 14 day hikes before I take on the task of the long journey. My hope is completing at least to the halfway point up the trail then planning for a full out hike in 2016.

Farren
08-03-2014, 09:29
Trail Name: Im hoping its something awesome like Frodo even if Im female!
Approach Trail - Nope

I'm doing this for myself so I can prove to myself that I can accomplish something few people ever even think to try.

Farren
08-03-2014, 09:33
Trail Name: Im hoping its something awesome like Frodo even if Im female!
Approach Trail - Nope

I'm doing this for myself so I can prove to myself that I can accomplish something few people ever even think to try.It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

KillerKarma
08-04-2014, 17:32
Trail Name: Haven't gotten one yet
Estimated Start Date: March 4th-March 23rd(ish)
Approach Trail: probably

Super excited. Working hard to get there. Yay!

hazmat
08-04-2014, 21:22
Trail Name: Hazmat
Direction: NOBO (the classic way)
Est. Start Date: Was planning 1 Mar, but might start after ATKO. Will spend my 62nd B-day (17 Mar) on
the trail.
Approach Trail: Probably not unless there is a compelling reason when I get there.

Some experience, been hiking the White Mtns doing the 4000 footers for a while now. Got 21 of the 48, many of which are on the AT. Will have hiked most of the AT in NH by the end of this season. Just got back from a 5 day backpack covering Garfield Ridge trail to Crawford Notch. I have serious white blaze fever !!!

Old_Man
08-04-2014, 22:43
Trail Name: Old Man
ETD: Looking like it will be around the beginning to middle of April. I'm not eager to be in a rush--this is a once in a life-time type thing and I want to enjoy it but I also don't want to be late to Katahdin.
Approach Trail: Yes, hiking it with my Dad.

I've been planning this hike for years but life always seems to get in the way. Not this time. The mountains are calling!

Skyrunner
08-05-2014, 14:02
Trail name: None yet!
Direction: NOBO!
Estimated start date: Between late march and early april - depends on the costs for a flight from Germany to the USA!
Approach trail: Of course!

Dreaming for this since a long time - now I have to chance to start this adventure and my Visa has been approved!!
Wuuhuuu! :-D

dangerdave
08-05-2014, 16:17
I love the folks with no trail names!

I'm namin' people on my thru! :)

Nobodhi
08-08-2014, 07:49
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, I must follow it if I can; pursuing it with weary feet, til it finds some larger way, where many paths and errands meet, and whither then I cannot say.

Gunner1776
08-09-2014, 00:20
Trail Name - None yet...Right now, I go by Gunner.
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - January 1st (Wish it was earlier)
Approach Trail - yes
any additional info that you want the world to know - Look forward to this hike...Basically giving up everything for it (marriage, home, etc....) because sometimes you just have to chase your dreams.

Showtime
08-09-2014, 22:25
Trail Name- None yet, but have been called Showtime everywhere I've been in the Corps
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date-Middle of May/Early June
Approach Trail- Probably

I would like to start the hike earlier, but I won't be out of the Marine Corps in time for that... Seeing as I am in great shape (not to sound conceited... it's just a fact), I am going to play catch up. I plan on stealthing most of the way so as to avoid inconvenient spacing of shelters, and to basically just hike my own hike. I came up with the idea when I was a young PFC in Afghanistan 2 and a half years ago, and it has had a hold of me ever since then. I had written it off over the last few months as not financially possible, but since I totalled my Jeep, I no longer have vehicle payments and can make this a reality- strange how life works sometimes. I also just quit drinking (just finished day 22) after a year and a half of massive binging. Maybe a bit too much info for WB, but I have nothing to hide from fellow enthusiasts.

Looking forward to seeing as many people as possible while making my journey!

"If you want to know what a man's really like, take a good look at how he treats his equals, not his inferiors." - Sirius Black, aka "Padfoot"

WeShallSee
08-11-2014, 13:06
Name: We Shall See or another
Start Date: April 17, 2015
Direction: Wrap-Around: Harper's Ferry to Springer, then Katahdin to HF.

Eoghan
08-14-2014, 14:04
Trail Name: won't know until it finds me
Direction: going to do an inside-out flip-flop, Harpers Ferry to Katahdin, then Harpers Ferry to Springer
Estimated Start Date: April 15

Did the Long Trail E2E fall of 2008
Would really love the input of experienced ATers on the pros and cons of doing the trail inside-out.
Preliminary planning is for a long hike, mid April to late August doing the northern half NOBO, then late August to November doing the southern half SOBO. Let me know what you think!
-Eoghan

Eoghan
08-14-2014, 14:12
Glad to see someone else is doing the trail inside out.

highfivephase
08-16-2014, 10:41
Trail Name: none
Estimated Start Date: early March
Approach Trail - yes or no: probably
any additional info that you want the world to know: first-timer

Josh D
08-16-2014, 13:22
Trail name: Black Foot
Direction: SoBo
Estimated Start Date: July 1

completed a NoBo thru in 2011. Going out with different objectives this time. Going to see how fast I can cover the distance.

mountain squid
08-30-2014, 13:11
The spreadsheet is up and ready for viewing. You can find it here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2015thruhikers). It can also be found from the homepage, left pane, click on WhiteBlaze thru-hikers and then 'Class of 2015'.

Let me know if I've made any mistakes or if you have any updates.

Good Luck Class of 2015!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Rollei
08-30-2014, 15:38
Trail Name: Rollei - at least for now
Estimated Start Date: End of March/Early April
Approach Trail - why not
any additional info that you want the world to know: Film photographer with a pack weight problem.

Aussie Legs
08-30-2014, 21:29
The spreadsheet is up and ready for viewing. You can find it here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2015thruhikers). It can also be found from the homepage, left pane, click on WhiteBlaze thru-hikers and then 'Class of 2015'.

Let me know if I've made any mistakes or if you have any updates.

What a brilliant idea!! Can you add me for starting on the 21st of March? Thanks :)

Aussie Legs
08-30-2014, 21:41
I just realised I haven't posted in this thread yet :p

Trail Name: Will let the trail decide!!
Directon: NOBO
Start Date: I think we're aiming for the 21st March....
Approach Trail: For sure!!!

I will be hiking with my Mum and sister... We're from Australia and will be thoroughly overwhelmed by all the new flora and fauna, differences in culture and the shock of what a real mountain is!!

You can follow us at aussielegs.wordpress.com :D

Can't wait to meet you all out there!!

jjozgrunt
08-30-2014, 21:50
Trail name - Moose
Direction - NOBO
Start Date - 13th Mar
Approach Trail - ?

Hiking solo and will have a journal on Trail Journals when I get a chance to set it up. From Brisbane Australia.

Speakeasy TN
08-30-2014, 21:54
Speakeasy

NOBO

3-17

Not planning on approach trail....... don't hate me! I use it as a training hike throughout the year

Aborted a shot in '11.......unfinished business

Cassafras
08-30-2014, 22:06
Trail name: Earning one on the trail!
Start Date: April 5th (tentatively)

See you on the trail!

jjozgrunt
08-30-2014, 22:26
the shock of what a real mountain is!!

Oh Legs what a downer. Ok you have no real mountains in the west BUT!!!!!

I'm doing the AAWT in Nov/Dec and we have some as big or bigger mountains than on the AT. (Clingman Dome highest at 6643')

Kosciuszko - 7310'
Rams Head - 7201'
Mt Lee - 6911'
Mt Twynam - 7210'
Bogong - 6520'
Curruthers Peak - 7042'
Mt Anton - 6599'
Mt Anderson - 6556'
Mt Neise - 6179'
Mt Wills - 5768'
Mt Jagungal - 6770' and many more over the 4500' mark. At one point there is a climb of about 1800' over 1.3 miles and no switch backs because aussie planners just like to go straight, soul destroying and muscle aching, up for some reason.

This is my lead in walk to the AT and to do a final test of gear. After these biggies the minor hills of the AT should be easy. LOL

Oh this is asking for some flaming by the Yanks, just keep it nice please :)

Aussie Legs
08-30-2014, 23:28
Oh Legs what a downer. Ok you have no real mountains in the west BUT!!!!!

Bluff Knoll is the highest mountain over here at 3606 feet... and it's still a 5 hour drive to get there!! The closest to home is Mt Brown at 1122 feet... If I lived over East I would be skipping into the mountains at any chance I got :D
Haha yes... you're going to generate some comments regarding the AT being easy :P I just want to put out there that this West Aussie knows she's in for a hard couple of weeks getting trail adjusted!!

jjozgrunt
08-31-2014, 00:55
You chicken!

KarateKid
08-31-2014, 01:43
Howdy, folks~ Forgot to respond in this thread.

Trail Name: Pending (Might start with my username until I do something stupid to get a different one)
Estimated Start Date: Around March 15, or whenever someone can give me a ride
Approach Trail - Likely
Other info: N/A

Sanna
08-31-2014, 08:11
Seems to be a couple of these threads going on.... But I had not replied to this one yet!

Trail Name: Griswold
Start Date: Feb 27th
Approach: Yes :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soumodeler
08-31-2014, 08:22
Estimated Start Date: April 7
Approach Trail: yes

swalker0903
09-04-2014, 17:23
No trail name yet but so excited to earn one!
NOBO
April 15th
Not sure yet

Chef Short Pants
09-04-2014, 21:08
ShortPants
NOBO
Start date 3/25/15
Yes to Approach trail
Yes I would like info
Im going Solo

Blue Collar
09-07-2014, 14:49
Northbound march 15
it is time.

Sclark9082
09-09-2014, 12:29
Trail Name: T-Square
NOBO
Start date: First week of March
Definitely doing the approach trail.

Looking forward to that 13 hour train ride from D.C. Feb 28, 2015. Arrive in Atlanta, then need to find a shuttle or Taxi to Springer Mountain.

JohnnySnook
09-10-2014, 05:16
Trail Name: Johnny Snook for now. I think a few may re-name me as I go.
NOBO - want to be in Maine for prime fishing!!!!
Start Date: Early March: Not sure of the real date. I wanted to start won the 23rd which is my B-Day but not sure as I want to fish the trail also and it seems not many hikers fish. The last real fisherman I've heard of was "Wasabi" and he hiked 15 years ago. Any info is greatly appreciated. If you find me in the evening at camp a nice dinner may had.
Start trial: the beginning.

krawler
09-11-2014, 12:34
Trail Name: none, NOBO, Start Date: March 15, approach trail: yes. I second that 15 hr ride on Amtrak, thanks for the info on Amtrak...
Trail Name: T-Square
NOBO
Start date: First week of March
Definitely doing the approach trail.

Looking forward to that 13 hour train ride from D.C. Feb 28, 2015. Arrive in Atlanta, then need to find a shuttle or Taxi to Springer Mountain.

Daddyjim
09-13-2014, 20:46
Trail Name: Daddyjim
Estimated Start Date: Feb 21st
Approach Trail - heck yeah
Solo but will hike with others if they can keep up with the pace

God Willing and Weather permitting!

kukuio
09-16-2014, 03:02
None yet
SOBO
Mid June
Living outside Denver now trying to hike and eventually snowboard as much as possible.

OnThePath
09-16-2014, 19:22
No trail name yet
NOBO
Early march
Hiking with my cousin. This will be my 3rd time getting on the trail. The first attempt was more of a trial run and I broke my foot on the 2cd. 3rd times the charm right? :-)

Praha4
09-16-2014, 21:27
Trail Name: Florida Mike
Estimated Start Date: End of March/Early April, good excuse to get out of PC Beach during spring break
Approach Trail - yes! drill SGT!
Any additional info that you want the world to know: Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I'll be lookin' at your shoes.

pattiwp
09-19-2014, 11:33
Trail Name: Rewind, but open to change. Rewind came from our first shakedown hike when we went 5 miles in the wrong direction and had to call the shuttle driver to pick us up and start over. (Doh!) We couldn't just turn around and re-trace due to time constraints and our car being at the other end!
Estimated Start Date: March 23, give or take
Approach Trail: No way! I see no point in adding 8 miles of hell to an already arduous trip at the point where I'm the least physically fit!

I'll be traveling with my partner who does not have his trail name yet. I suggested Fast Forward to go with my Rewind as he is always full-steam ahead but so far it doesn't "feel right" for him. We are both in our 50's and hiking for Life Transitions, looking forward to being part of the Trail Community. I will be a slow hiker due to a gimpy foot, so other snails will be welcome!

SawnieRobertson
09-19-2014, 12:30
Trail Name: Rewind, but open to change. Rewind came from our first shakedown hike when we went 5 miles in the wrong direction and had to call the shuttle driver to pick us up and start over. (Doh!) We couldn't just turn around and re-trace due to time constraints and our car being at the other end... We are both in our 50's and hiking for Life Transitions, looking forward to being part of the Trail Community. I will be a slow hiker due to a gimpy foot, so other snails will be welcome!

That is a good story. I like the honesty and humor. You will do well.

Speakeasy TN
09-19-2014, 13:54
Speakeasy will be out again in '15. Aborted the trip in '11 due to a death in the family. I will be going NOBO from the place I got off(roughly 300 miles in) after the April Fools Bash in Franklin. Ron's party is not to be missed!

Well things always subject to change!....... I'll be starting near St Patrick's Day again from Springer. Retracing the first couple of hundred miles will be worth it if I can help anybody out that is wavering out of the starting gate. I'm going to try to time it to not miss the Bash.

Jesse Cody
09-19-2014, 16:57
No trail name as of yet
ESD: Last week of February
Yes! and NOBO

I'll be blogging on Dustycamel.org not to far down the road. I will pass on start date when I begin.

I'm beyond excited to take on this challenge. I have no false impressions that this will be a 5 plus month trip to Disney World but this has been a dream of mine for so long... Recently I just kind of felt now was the time.

Ray C
09-21-2014, 00:07
Trail Name / Not yet.
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date / March 15 to 18, 2015
Approach Trail - yes or no / Not sure yet

masonormous
09-21-2014, 00:19
Trail Name- Not received/picked
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- April-May
Approach Trail - Hell yes

sparky2000
09-21-2014, 21:53
sparky2000
Mar 8
aproach yes

mattjv89
09-21-2014, 22:43
Ham Sawyer

NOBO

First week of march, still tossed about attending ATKO so either right before or right after that.

Yes approach, I like the gateway and the photos of the falls I've seen, and 8 miles seems pretty inconsequential in this whole thing.

Other info? Hmm I'm usually a pretty slow hiker so I imagine this being closer to a 6 month thru for me. I really enjoy the 10 mile days on weekend hikes and though I'll have to ramp that up a little if I want to finish I doubt I'll be pulling 20's all the time. I like to take my time on the trail, take lots of snack breaks, check out the side trails, get to camp in time to gather firewood if daylight allows it, etc. I figure since I'm pretty much walking away from all security in my life to do this, why rush it?

dangerdave
09-22-2014, 10:20
Great attitude, Ham! If I catch up with you, we'll walk a while together. I'll be a week or so behind you.

Take your time and enjoy. I'll be along shortly...

Boots and Backpacks
09-24-2014, 13:59
Trail Name: Scruffs & Woodstock
Start Date: 12/31/2014

Update:
Start Date 12/30/2014
Approach: No

Frank_the_cat
09-24-2014, 20:24
My husband started calling me "Mr. Underhill" since that's Frodo's "trail name". I think I'm going to keep it because it is sweet!

GoodKarmaMike
09-25-2014, 01:50
Trail Name- dont have one yet

Direction-NOBO

Estimated Start Date- mid march / april 1st.

Approach Trail - not sure yet

Was not planning on doing my thru hike for another two years, but my hiking partner got his ladie knocked up so he will not be able to do it. So i am embarking on the adventure in 2015 before something happens in my life where it will restrict me from doing a thru hike.

Is their an offical registry for thru hikers?

funhog
09-25-2014, 18:03
Trail Name: Short bus

Starting around mid March.

NOBO

Retiring from the teaching profession in January and this is something I have wanted to do since the early 70s. My aunt and uncle were park rangers at Vogel State park back then and actually lived at Neel's Gap before the time of Mountain Crossings. I liked talking to the hikers coming through when I was visiting them during the summer.

Approach: Not if I can help it.

The machine
09-25-2014, 18:36
No trail name yet
SOBO
May 25, 2015
thru-hike with my son

Speakeasy TN
09-25-2014, 19:19
My husband started calling me "Mr. Underhill" since that's Frodo's "trail name". I think I'm going to keep it because it is sweet!

Does it make me a nerd if I caught that immediately?

dawnthan
09-26-2014, 10:33
Name: Dusk
Direction: SOBO
Start Date: May 25th-Mid June
Approach Trail - Nopes

I'm starting my sobo trip after I graduate! Since I graduate mid May, I have to wait until Maine opens. If anyone is going the same time and wants a buddy, please let me know!!

Sheriff Cougar
09-26-2014, 21:30
Going to do 1/2 a thru hike. Southbound from Harpers Ferry to Springer. Heading out April 1.

knitwit
09-27-2014, 20:57
Knitwit
Departure date April 4, 2015
NOBO to Harper's Ferry (or thereabouts) and flip-flop from Kathadin to where I left off.
I am hiking wth my standard poodle much of the way, and am doing the flip-flop because I am untried (though training now) and older and I want to make sure that I do not have to rush throught New Hampshire and Maine and risk injury from needing to make time,

Tgosborne782
09-28-2014, 13:01
Swamp Nuts,may change
NOBO
01/03/15
No on approach for now

Sigrún
10-01-2014, 14:59
Trail Name: To be determined - I was christened in Harpers Ferry "Flower Child" By a non-hiker because I was staying at the hostel. This was before I decided to hike the AT. Funny thing I actually got two trail names that week in Hf, the other was "The One" I don't know what they all were insinuating.... Haha.
When: May-June...

Wheres Lora
10-01-2014, 21:13
CDT through Colorado, SOBO, mid-July, from Monarch Pass to New Mexico state line.
I live in Colorado so I've already hiked short portions of the trail. I'm 68 so taking it easy. Will plan to complete Colorado in two summers. I've completed Wyoming's CDT>

tee
10-03-2014, 21:51
Trail Name: None yet. We'll see what ridiculous name the trail brings me...
Estimated Start Date : Mid/Late March
Approach Trail - yes, because what's another 8 miles...

A couple short (3-4 day) backpacking trips under my belt. I'm headed out for 6 days this fall. Excited to meet the trail and you all!

Jack89
10-04-2014, 12:33
Trail Name: Don't have one
Estimated Start Date: April 3rd
Approach Trail - Sure, why not?

I already have my plane ticket and reservations to the Hiker Hostel. Too soon? :)

Treehugger
10-04-2014, 21:26
Trail Name: Treehugger
Direction: Not sure but probably NOBO, depends on when my daughter starts college.
Estimated Start Date: March 14-20 NOBO or late June SOBO. It may even turn out to be a flip flop.
Approach Trail - Prolly not
any additional info that you want the world to know: Looking forward to it. Good luck peeps!

JohnChris
10-06-2014, 20:14
Trail Name: None
Estimated start date: May 25
Approach Trail: Will do it once I get to GA

I'm more than excited to start this epic journey. I have been wanting to do this since I got into hiking and have already hiked some of the southern portion, including the approach trail. It's time to turn my dream into a reality. I graduate in May and want to use this transitional period of my life to take a step back and explore the world around me. Planning on starting with some friends and hopefully finishing with them as well. Any other South Bounders planning on starting at the end of May?

jimmyjam
10-06-2014, 20:21
Estimated start date: May 25
Approach Trail: Will do it once I get to GA

I'm more than excited to start this epic journey. I have been wanting to do this since I got into hiking and have already hiked some of the southern portion, including the approach trail. It's time to turn my dream into a reality. I graduate in May and want to use this transitional period of my life to take a step back and explore the world around me. Planning on starting with some friends and hopefully finishing with them as well. Any other South Bounders planning on starting at the end of May?

I might be wrong, but I don't Baxter opens until around June 15.

JohnChris
10-06-2014, 20:57
I might be wrong, but I don't Baxter opens until around June 15.

It usually opens sometime after May 15. The date may get pushed back a couple of days, but hopefully not. If it does, no big deal, I'm in no hurry.

jimmyjam
10-06-2014, 21:42
yep you are right may 15. thank goodness for google . :)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

twistwrist
10-07-2014, 21:00
Trail Name - Twistwrist
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date: June 1, 2015 (yeah, late I know)
Approach Trail - not sure
any additional info that you want the world to know - I need this.

Pajj
10-08-2014, 22:09
Hey there, I'm Pj. No trail name yet, I think I'll let it come to me once I'm on the trail. I plan to head northbound the last week of February. Approach trail is a definite. This is my first time attempting a thru hike, and I'm sure it will be even more amazing than I can imagine!

fou
10-09-2014, 08:29
Direction: Flip-flop. Start midway north, back to middle southbound
Start Date: April 15th or so (Don't want to start in the cold)

Would not mind hiking with a partner.

Trail Name: Scooter
Direction: Alternate. Starting in Marion, VA, NOBO, then back to Marion SOBO
Start Date: April 14ish.
Plan to finish on the Approach Trail unless friends want to hike up Springer with us from the parking lot

Hiking with husband: McGoo

Retired couple living the dream!

mcwh
10-10-2014, 16:16
How does one get oneself on the registry?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-10-2014, 23:14
If you mean the one here on WB simply answer the questions presented regarding your thru-hike plans. The one above is for 2015. It looks like they will start the one for 2016 some time around the coming
March. If 2015, welcome to the class!!

Sclark9082
10-11-2014, 17:21
March 2, 2015!!! www.trailjournals.com/Tsquare

I'm ready...ready..and ready

Gerry Hume
10-12-2014, 15:52
Trail Name- dont have one yet

Direction-NOBO

Estimated Start Date- March 20th

Approach Trail - Yes

Reservations made at Amicalola State Park Lodge for March 18-19. I love the outdoors and the freedom of being there. I have had many adventures and can't wait to get started on this new one. I may be crazy but crazy is fun.

mmarlee24
10-16-2014, 17:51
Trail Name-Princess Falls

Direction-SOBO

Estimated Start Date-June 15, 2015

Approach Trail-Finish on it

mmarlee24
10-16-2014, 17:53

Direction-SOBO

I will have friends join me at some points but other than that I will be solo, so if anyone wants to do this with me please let me know.

Red pepper
10-17-2014, 07:12
Trail name:Red pepper

Estimated start date:April 1st.

Approach trail:Yes

Still working out details

Teresa&Lisa2016
10-17-2014, 11:19
Hey there!
So initially my girlfriend and I were going to hike in 2016, then we thought what the hell are we waiting for, let's do this NOW. So our username is misleading, but we are in the class of 2015. (side note: does anyone know how to change a WhiteBlaze username?) Anyway, here is our info:

Trail Name: TBD
Start Date: March 9
Approach Trail: not sure yet

I can't wait for this. I am at work in my office right now, on a gorgeous day, just dreaming of the freedom of the trail. I know it won't be all peachy, but I know it's what I want. See you all there!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-17-2014, 11:32
Hey, that is the day I'm planning to head out!! Look forward to meeting you :)

Welcome to the class of 2015 T&L. You can change your user name by contacting the moderator and letting them know what you want to change it to.

Derf
10-17-2014, 13:16
Hey there!
So initially my girlfriend and I were going to hike in 2016, then we thought what the hell are we waiting for, let's do this NOW. So our username is misleading, but we are in the class of 2015. (side note: does anyone know how to change a WhiteBlaze username?) Anyway, here is our info:

Start Date: March 9
Approach Trail: not sure yet

I can't wait for this. I am at work in my office right now, on a gorgeous day, just dreaming of the freedom of the trail. I know it won't be all peachy, but I know it's what I want. See you all there!

Always nice to see others from KC. We are looking to start a couple weeks ahead of you gals.

StarMan
10-17-2014, 17:37
Trail Name: StarMan
I am completing two "CHUNKS" in 2015:
- Atkins, VA to Harpers Ferry
- Pawling, NY to Katahdin

(2012-Harpers Ferry to Pawling, NY)
(2013-Springer Mt. to Atkins, VA)

Start Date: May1 (or abouts)

Approach Trail: Been there and DONE that. Hope to do it again someday!!!!

Crazylegs and Moony
10-18-2014, 15:57
Crazylegs and Moony
Northbound
No approach trail this time around
Starting first week of March

We want new trail names though! (might keep old trail names a secret so they don't stick)
My crazy fast legs turned into crazy swollen, poison ivy covered, scratched up legs. No crazylegs for me!

Moony is my husky mutt and no worries, we will be tenting out and he will be leashed.

Growthegnar
10-19-2014, 08:09
No trail name, yet.
NOBO
Starting April 4, 2015
Super psyched go on a walk for a few months!

Chicken_Scrambles
10-19-2014, 23:34
Trail Name: Whoopie Cat
Direction: NOBO!
Estimated Start Date: March 26
Approach Trail: Yeah!!
Any additional info that you want the world to know: Can't wait to box up all my worldly possessions, end my lease, cancel my car insurance and be a hobo for 6 months.

Teresa&Lisa2016
10-20-2014, 13:34
Always nice to see others from KC. We are looking to start a couple weeks ahead of you gals.

Hey there!

Whereabouts in KC are you guys? PM me if you'd be interested in swapping plans or information or just getting together to chat about the trail and the process! :)

snowcone
10-21-2014, 09:34
Trail name: Snow Cone
Estimated start date: March 21
Approach trail: Of course!

Ready to get away from my cube job in Atlanta (although it is the best cube....corner, by the window) but I hate it and would way rather be hiking! Been hiking since I was 13 and have always wanted to hike the AT but my dad convinced me to get a job out of college and crushed my dreams. Now I'm stickin it to the man and quitting my job in March and swapping my ATL apartment for a tent. Can't wait!

Also, hiking solo so I'd love to meet any other people from the Atlanta area who are planning to hike!

SaltyBiscuit
10-22-2014, 12:23
Trail Name: Not sure yet
Estimated Start date: March 10
Approach Trail: Yes
Something I have wanted to do for a long time. Finally graduating in December and have the time and money to do it. Have little hiking/camping experience but plan on doing a few trips before I leave to get some practice before the long one. Hiking solo, can't wait to meet all my fellow 2015 NOBO'ers

raginghippie
10-23-2014, 12:50
Estimated Start Date: 1st or 2nd week of April

I can't believe it's less than 6 months away!

T-Rx
10-25-2014, 10:31
My wife and I will be thru hiking in 2015.
Trail Names: Buck 'N' Fuzz
Estimated Start Date: April 1
Approach Trail: undecided

I have been partially retired for about 18 months and my wife retires Feb. 27th, 2015. This is something we have been planning and looking forward to for a long time!

Jake27
10-28-2014, 13:25
Trail name: none
Date:End of March
Apporach Trail: An'it Nobody Got Time Fo That

I am not getting any younger.If anyone want a hiking partner let me know I am flexible with my start date.

Pockets_15
10-30-2014, 10:44
Trail Name: Pockets (though up for change)
Direction: NOBO (solo)
Start Date: ~ 3/6/15
Approach: Most Likely

No turning back now! Looking forward to using this site for research and discussion!

2_wheel
10-31-2014, 05:47
Trail Name: None yet.
Start Date: Shooting for Mar 1st. Depends on when I can get school stuff nailed down.
Approach Trail: Yes.

Graduating college in a month & using the summer before med school to attempt a thru. Walking until school starts or Katahdin, whichever comes first.

High lander
10-31-2014, 12:02
Trail Name:Highlander
Estimated Start Date: 3 March 2015
Approach Trail - yes

NOBO Seemed the right way for a novice to tackle it- HYOH

Reason for thru hike: Retiring from too many years behind a desk. Unwind and prep for the next stage of life on the farm.

Experience: Retired USMC with second retirement from business. Farm in Highland County Va- reason for presumptuous callsign. Done some hiking and backpacking but not extensive in recent years. Training is to climb to the top of Jack mountain and back down with full pack nearly every weekend I am on the farm. Some AT loops in Va. Really looking forward to the AT experience, grind and all. Rain Pain and Maine.

proudfeet
11-01-2014, 10:39
Trail Name: Proudfeet
Estimated Start Date: Late March
Aproach trail: Yes

Experience: Zero

Reason for thru hike: I dreamed about doing this for the past twenty years and realize that if I don't "just do it" it won't ever happen. Looking forward to buying/testing gear in the next few months and learning as I go.

raphaelmatto
11-02-2014, 21:10
Direction: nobo
Estimated Start Date: April 1st

I'm scared :)

biskit
11-03-2014, 06:09
Please add me to 2015 hikers registry , I am starting at springer around end of March,counting the days any others Brits doing it get in touch, maybe we can meet up in uk and talk, my wife is suicidal with listening to me. Thanks biskit.

namaste7
11-03-2014, 15:51
Trail Name: Namaste
Start date: mid March
Trail approach: maybe
Please add me to the 2015 registry. This is my second go at it. I started Apr of this year and only made it 5 days before my father became ill. Hopefully I can make it all the way this year!
For those who have done some reading about how lonely the trail is, I can say when I started last year, I had only two hours to myself while hiking those 5 days. There were approximately 20 people in the group that started the same day I did. There is a lot of noise (snoring, tent zippers up and down, etc) until the crowd thins out. This is only a friendly warning because it was something i was not expecting. On a positive note, it was beautiful!!! The hiking was fantastic and the people were very nice, welcoming and friendly. When they say hikers look out for each other, they are speaking very truthfully. I can't wait to get out there again!!!

jawnzee
11-03-2014, 16:31
Name: Carrot / Amish / Donut Ninja Sneaky Carrot / Baby Bear
Estimated Start Date: late August
Approach Trail: :-?

Current plan is to SOBO the AT after the CDT, should be a fun year :banana

dangerdave
11-03-2014, 16:35
Overachiever!

Jatt
11-04-2014, 01:43
Trail Name: I don't have one yet. I figure I will wait for one to present itself to me on the trail, so I'll be going by Jeremy, my real name, until then.
Estimated Start Date: I don't have the exact date nailed down, but I'm thinking around mid-March.
Approach Trail: Don't think so. I'm planning on taking advantage of the thru-hiker special at one of the nearby hostels that includes a shuttle, so I'll hike from wherever they drop me off, which I think is near the actual trail head.

I can't wait for March to come around.

cspruiell
11-04-2014, 16:03
Trail Name: No trail name yet!
Direction:

cspruiell
11-04-2014, 16:04
Direction:

Let's try that again without hitting enter prematurely...

Start Date: April 14th
Approach Trail: Not planning on it if we can get a ride!

Dwill1000
11-07-2014, 01:47
Trail name - Face
Direction - NOBO
Estimated start date - 3/20/15
Approach trail - Would like to bypass the Amicalola approach trail

I'm in the over-60 age bracket and my bucket list largely involves backpacking as long as my body holds out. I've backpacked thousands of miles over the past 50-years - but now it's time to backpack thousands of miles at ONE TIME! I'm looking forward to the absolute freedom of being on the trail.

HOW FAR 57
11-09-2014, 21:54
Please add me to the 2015 thru hiker list
Trail name - How Far
Direction - NOBO
Estimated start date - March 15 2015
Approach trail - undecided , have hiked it already a couple of time before .
This is another item on my bucket list , can't wait !

HOW FAR 57
11-09-2014, 23:24
Hi Face,
Sounds like we have some of the same bucket list . I'm starting on the 15th of March .Just plan to hike my own hike, and smell the flowers along the way .Maybe we will meet on the trail somewhere .Good luck and have fun.HowFar

biskit
11-11-2014, 06:31
Biskit ,nobo,flexible early April,no,,,from UK any
other Brits doing this?

Jeff
11-11-2014, 16:02
Every year we host maybe 6 or 8 thruhikers from the UK....although this past year those from Scotland really did not wish to be know as from the UK !!!

wloyalgrace
11-12-2014, 12:34
I'm planning to go SOBO sometime around then so maybe we will run into each other.

wloyalgrace
11-12-2014, 12:40

Direction-SOBO

I will have friends join me at some points but other than that I will be solo, so if anyone wants to do this with me please let me know.

I'm planning to go SOBO sometime around then so maybe we will run into each other.

Mr. Furious
11-16-2014, 03:24
I'm planning on hiking SOBO in late Aug after I hike the CDT also. I hope I run into your group at some point!

Mr. Furious

maggie019
11-18-2014, 01:40
Maggie (no trail name yet)
SOBO!!!
Looking to go around June 20th
I am also trying to get about 5 people to tag along with,
so if anyone is trying to hike the entire AT Maine to Georgia around June please let me know!

HAPPY WARRIOR
11-20-2014, 15:04
Hello!

Please d m t the 2015 Thru Hike Registry

HAPPY WARRIOR
NOBO
MARCH 4
NO
AGE47
RETIRED U.S. MARINE

jawnzee
11-20-2014, 15:56
I'm planning on hiking SOBO in late Aug after I hike the CDT also. I hope I run into your group at some point!

Mr. Furious
Cool! One of my buds from the PCT is also planning on doing the same next year (without us ever even mentioning it to each other). Apparently it's the thing to do in 2015.

Mr. Furious
11-21-2014, 01:04
Cool! One of my buds from the PCT is also planning on doing the same next year (without us ever even mentioning it to each other). Apparently it's the thing to do in 2015.

I was thinking of starting the CDT in early May and hoping to start the AT in mid/late Aug. Is that what you are thinking also? Glad to know there are some others with the same ideas out there!

jawnzee
11-21-2014, 10:36
I was thinking of starting the CDT in early May and hoping to start the AT in mid/late Aug. Is that what you are thinking also? Glad to know there are some others with the same ideas out there!
Yeah my plane leaves May 1, so I'll be getting on the CDT May 3 or 4. Planning on taking a lot of the longer alternates and some extra miles in Glacier before or after reaching the border. I'll probably be finishing at the tail end of August. Probably start the AT somewhere around Sep 1.

Roamin Biff
11-21-2014, 11:52
Trail Name: Open to letting the trail pick a new handle for me.
Estimated Start Date: Mid-Feb (I don't mind being cold and miserable)
Approach Trail: What's another 8 miles and 600 feet straight up when my legs are still fresh?

Doing this now while I'm still young enough to take pleasure and find humor in the miserable parts of a 2,200 mile hike. Section hiked several spells of Georgia's AT before now. I've spent the past five years in Corporate America with a tie/noose around my neck, praying for the day I could get paroled or bust out. Looks like I'll be busting out.

83 Days and a wake up.

Atraain
11-21-2014, 21:43
None
BOBO
9 Mar
Yes
Complete novice. Anyone care to help keep me alive til I get a clue my grandkids will be grateful

Atraain
11-21-2014, 21:45
That's NOBO. Auto spell got me.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
11-22-2014, 00:49
None
BOBO
9 Mar
Yes
Complete novice. Anyone care to help keep me alive til I get a clue my grandkids will be grateful

Planning to head out the 9th as well atraain, right after the AT Kick Off. I'm sure if you've been on here reading up and researching you know to make sure you've got cold weather gear - base layer, insulating layer, something to break the wind and keep you dry. Something to cover your head and your hands and again something to keep your hands dry when it's raining, snowing. I'm carrying micro spikes in case of ice. Lots of good info on here to help you plan ahead. Planning to so some overnighters on the colder nights here to see where I stand with keeping warm at night and see if I need to add some layering items. Good luck to you. Perhaps we'll meet on the trail.

Go2guy
11-24-2014, 09:41
Trail Name - Go2guy, because doing the trail in two segments 1300 in 2015 and Bal following year
Direction- SOBO
Start date Apr 7, 2015
Approach - Starting at the Mohican Outdoor Center, Blairstown NJ
Reason for two: compromise w spouse to be around for the hurricane season, we had been affected by Sandy!
I'm 65 and have day hiking experience. I know PA, my first big state, is a tough rock strewed trail, but didn't want to deal with the Springer Mt crush. Any advise for dealing w PA in April will be welcomed. I know the odds of encountering other SOBO, at that time is slim, but maybe section folks. I expect to be solo a lot, figure 28 days to traverse it, by Harps Ferry should b in shape for balance.

ryleyb
11-27-2014, 16:59
Trail Name - Monk
Direction - SOBO
Start Date - Jun 3rd, 2015 (nothing set in stone yet!)

I've hiked the PCT in 2007 and the CDT in 2011. I'm looking forward to seeing everything the East Coast has to offer! Most people I met on the CDT and PCT had previously hiked the AT, and it was universally recommended. I'm also excited to share this trip with my girlfriend after solo hiking the last two trails. She's finishing a short term position at the end of May, so we'll be flying out to Maine as soon as we can after that. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the AT Guide so I can get started on more planning activities :)

Veeyayhoh
11-28-2014, 19:01
Trail Name: Has not been gifted to me yet ;)
Estimated Start Date: 3/28/15
Approach Trail: undecided, but will most likely end up doing it :)

Hi Caity. You will be starting on my 69th birthday. I hope to be a few weeks ahead of you.

JohnChris
11-29-2014, 13:36
Hey man, good to see others starting SOBO around the same time as me. I'll be headed out around the 25th, but could be as late as the 1st. Hope to see you guys out there!

JohnChris
11-29-2014, 13:38
Trail Name - Monk
Direction - SOBO
Start Date - Jun 3rd, 2015 (nothing set in stone yet!)

I've hiked the PCT in 2007 and the CDT in 2011. I'm looking forward to seeing everything the East Coast has to offer! Most people I met on the CDT and PCT had previously hiked the AT, and it was universally recommended. I'm also excited to share this trip with my girlfriend after solo hiking the last two trails. She's finishing a short term position at the end of May, so we'll be flying out to Maine as soon as we can after that. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the AT Guide so I can get started on more planning activities :)

That last one should've been quoted...

bsteinberg
11-29-2014, 16:50
Chief Buzzsaw
Flip Nobo to Harpers, Maine to Harpers
April 7th-ish
No (Not if I can get a ride to the top this time...do those eight miles count?)

Section hiked a lot of the trail, but I always wanted to thru hike the whole thing. This will be my chance.

JBandStacy2014
11-29-2014, 21:45
Trail Name - Neither of us currently have a trail name.
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - DECEMBER 18, 2014
Approach Trail - Yes
any additional info that you want the world to know - This is a journey for myself and my lady to hopefully come closer together while attempting to triumph over some serious challenges in the meantime. This is about accomplishment, but more importantly, this is about the journey. We are looking forward to this journey.

Veeyayhoh
11-30-2014, 17:59
Veeyayhoh
NOBO
First week of March
will hike the approach trail
Will see y'all out there. What a great adventure this will be!

Snow-man
11-30-2014, 18:51
Snow-man
NOBO
Mid Feb - ~2/15ish
Probably
I am anxious about the cold with an earlier start, but I sure am excited! Hope to meet some of you out there on the trail. Happy Hiking.

Black Wolf
11-30-2014, 20:52
Black Wolf
SOBO
Mid-Sept.
i will approach the trail

Nonfiction
12-02-2014, 06:37
Trail Name - (Nonfiction) I rather have the trail name me
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - 2nd week of March
Approach Trail - not sure yet

The Wife & I will be hiking it together. I am a Ironman Triathlete & cyclist & she is a Runner. We have been avid backpackers for years & have a deep love for the mountains. We are actually uprooting from our hometown of 29 years & moving somewhere new (far away).... we decided to do the trail & travel before we put down our roots somewhere else. Sold almost everything we own, put the rest in storage, quit our jobs, & looking to be born again on the trail.

ccomplete7
12-02-2014, 18:48
Trail Name: none yet, but my little girl says i should call myself "Black Beard" after waatching 2014 hiker "Red Beard's" videos together! maybe it'll stick. *shrugs*
Estimated Start Date: maybe ATKO? maybe later to get as much garden stuff done when spring rolls through
Approach Trail - ABSOLUTELY! i live close enough to Springer to where i can train on the approach trail a few times a month. it'll be like taking off on a familiar runway!

MAM003
12-03-2014, 14:30
Hello! I'm planning on starting around the same time and am leaving from Kalamazoo!Hope to see you out there!

MAM003
12-03-2014, 14:32
Oh goodness, I don't quite understand how this forum format works.

NOBO - End of March - No Trail Name

chaddington
12-03-2014, 22:15
NOBO
3/18/2015
Approach Trail: sure

I just told a good friend about my plan to hike the AT and in his supportive incredulity he said "that's insane." I told him it makes me happy how insane it is. :)

GramMaster Funk
12-03-2014, 23:19
Trail Name: GramMaster Funk
Estimated Start: March

griffinsthunder
12-05-2014, 15:40
Trail name: none yet
Estimated start date: 3/16/15
Approach Trail: of course

Joker4ink
12-09-2014, 12:10
Trail name: NOT YET (that's actually my trail name)
Estimated state date: March 3rd

Irish
12-09-2014, 12:17
Irish
3/20/15
NoBo
Skipping the approach trail
AT '06; PCT '08; CDT '10/11

kushtakaa
12-09-2014, 14:24
Steve & Jess

Trail Names - None atm. I went by Friar Tuck while hiking the southern 800 miles or so back in (about) '92. My wife is against trail-names, so hopefully someone will come up with a real snarky one for her. :-)
Direction - "Head-Start/Flip-Flop" - NOBO(start)/SOBO(end) from Hwy.33, SNP, Virginia
Estimated Start Date - April 15, 2015
Approach Trail - Only if we make it all the way south to Springer...then it will become our Egress Trail.

jred321
12-10-2014, 12:12
Just realized I hadn't posted in here yet.

Trail Name: Nothing yet
Estimated Start Date: April 6
Have been slowly playing with my blog. My first foray into managing a WordPress site so still figuring things out. I only have two posts so far :) http://www.oneyearolderwhenyoudo.com/

Tabasco Hikes
12-12-2014, 05:37
Trail Name: Tabasco
Estimated Start Date: 01/09/15

MountAndew
12-16-2014, 17:05
Estimated Start Date: 4/3/2015
Approach Trail - Might as well!

This'll be my first long distance hike. I have no idea what I'm doing and I can't wait to get started!

Skye15
12-17-2014, 12:40
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - NOBO
ESD - 4/1/15
Approach Trail - nope

Come on, April - It's hard to wait!!

comanche8f
12-18-2014, 15:41
Comanche
NOBO
Sometime in March, I am hiking solo, and have no planned start date, just whenever I feel like going. No job to hold me back. I am ready to go though!
I am thinking about doing the approach trail, problem is , that will leave it just short of 2200, I would feel the need for 2 or 3 more "official" miles.

Jo Bear
12-19-2014, 13:40
Hey Gillian,

I'm also from Iowa! Planning a May 1st start though, so I'll be a little behind you.

Jo Bear
12-19-2014, 13:59
Trail Name: Not yet
Estimated Start Date: Hopefully May 1st, 2015 (I know, a little late)
any additional info that you want the world to know: Looking forward to it!

sparky2000
12-20-2014, 22:38
Changing to flip flop Mar 8 SOBO from Duncannon, Pa
Sparky 2000 was listed as Mar 8 NOBO>

comanche8f
12-22-2014, 19:00
Red Beard
NOBO
March 9
No to the approach trail

Kiteman
12-23-2014, 03:34
Time to make it official all you 2015ers!

Trail Name - don't have yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - 15.2.2015
Approach Trail - yes

Papa Al
12-23-2014, 08:48
Trail Name: Papa Al
Estimated Start Date: March 16, 2015
Approach Trail: Nope

BrainDamage
12-24-2014, 04:58
Trail Name: Brain Damage
Estimated Start Date: March, 16.2015

I'll start the trail march, 16. Can't wait to do it. I'm traveling from germany to the united states to make the thru-hike. See you guys there!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas :)

pmc
12-24-2014, 17:43
Hi,
My son and I plan to hike NOBO starting around March 25th. I am retiring and he is getting out of the Army. Not sure about approach trail, but probably not. We are both trail runners and for fun may run the first 0.9 and back from the road.
Paul and Kyle Curtin

Binjali
12-26-2014, 05:13
Trail Name: Binjali
Estimated Start Date: 3/15/15
Approach Trail - Not again

JosD
01-03-2015, 11:47
Trail Name: None yet!
Estimated Start Date: March 4th.
Approach Trail - Yes, for sure!

SoniaButton
01-03-2015, 12:30
Trail name: Button
Direction: North Bound!
ETD: Mid March-ish (haven't decided on concrete day yet; I'll be hitchhiking from Illinois to Georgia with my partner, so timing is loose and dependent on the rides we get.)

fou
01-03-2015, 22:34
Scooter, with husband Magoo
NOBO from Atkins, then flipping to finish at Springer
April 14
Approach = Egress. Probably

tunes
01-04-2015, 18:24
Trail Name: Tunes
Departure Date: March 10
Approach: Probably

Recently returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Azerbaijan 2011-2014). Look forward to seeing some of you out on the trail!

Babyspinach
01-04-2015, 18:59
Trail Name: No idea yet!
Estimated Start Date: August 10
Approach Trail: Egress.. why not?
I'm from Australia and I'm so excited to get into the US wildnerness.. although slightly terrified of bears.

kiwirose
01-05-2015, 09:53
Trail Name: Kiwi (for now)
Estimated start date: Mid March
Approach Trail: Probably...it's no extra charge right?;)
From New Zealand although currently living in Taiwan. Have contemplated doing the AT for a few years and decided now is the time. Have hiked Camino De Santiago, Mont Blanc trail and a few other short hikes but this will be a whole new ball game. Going back to NZ for February to prepare and get my gear and visa sorted before heading to Merica!

Fireonwindcsr
01-05-2015, 17:36
Trail Name: Has not been gifted to me yet -
Friends call me Charlie, Sid, or Otis
Estimated Start Date: 3/28/15 ish
Approach Trail: undecided, but will most likely end up doing it

just praying I'm prepared. Or I'll just figure it out.

Alpha R
01-05-2015, 18:46
Not sure yet. It will come.
N
3/10
Of course !

Getchell53
01-05-2015, 22:57
Trail Name: It will find me at some point
NOBO!!
Starting the first Week of March
Approach trail: Yep!

Tabasco Cat
01-06-2015, 12:25
Trail Name:Tabasco Cat, but let's be real, you all will change that.
Start Date: February 14th or earlier

Pajj
01-06-2015, 12:30
Start Date: March 1st
Approach: Probably not

Sublime
01-06-2015, 14:12
~ Eludes me at this moment
~NoBo
~3/4/15 (my b-day)
~Yea

So, It seems the time has finally arrived in my life for me to throw my hat into this bubbly mass of like minded folks sharing similar desires and strong intent..

Born and raised in rural New Hampshire ...spent my youth around and on the AT in the New England..
I grew up always with a feeling that my life would include a AT thru-hike
from my earliest memories I have envisioned myself starting and finishing the trail...
somewhere in the transition from youth to Adulthood I got distracted ....but alas,
After following the dead for several years , investing countless hours in relationships, raising 3 beautiful daughters , 24 years residing in the peoples republic of Boulder, Co.. a failed marriage.. a recent failed engagement to a Harvard Grad from Singapore , owning my own business building rally race cars, managing several rally race teams and competing in the Xgames twice in LA , and what ever else has occupied my time on the this beautiful planet...
It is time....
see ya out there!

Kiteman
01-06-2015, 14:27
Trail Name:Tabasco Cat, but let's be real, you all will change that.
Start Date: February 14th or earlier

NICE,

I start on the begining of february.
See you on the trail :clap Hike, Hike, Hike, Hike...

DRay
01-06-2015, 15:13
Trail name: War Horse
direction: NOBO
start: 04-11-2015
Approach: no
Looking forward to this journey. Having some pre hike jitters but I read it's normal. Retired from Marine corps in 2005 due to injury received in Iraq. The trail name was given to me last year on a section hike by a group of veterans I was with. Just so happens it was also my call sign in Iraq. Have fun and remember the 7P process, PriorProperPlanningPreventsPissPoorPerformance! SEMPER FI