PDA

View Full Version : base layers? over kill or necessary?

daypack
03-12-2014, 20:30
So I'm planing to hike the Colorado trail havnt nailed down which direction yet but my time frame to start is late July to early August or that's the plan right now and on the advice from threads on here I've decided to loose my 40 degree down bag I used this past year on the AT and go with a 20degree which makes me wonder why should I carry base layers I can't see temps getting that low at night but I have the bag it's not that much heavier but all the gear list I see have base layers and a 20 which seems crazy to me right now my base with the 20dg is 6lbs5oz and I don't really want to add a pound of base layers to start with just to have to mail back so any advice?

Ronnwell
03-12-2014, 21:34
Tough call. For the summer months out here, I just use my 20 degree quilt and the only true base layer I use is my silk shirt (4oz) (mainly so I'm not getting my quilt all dirty). I do, however, have a Marmot Windshirt, a rain jacket and rain pants if I need them for added warmth.

daypack
03-12-2014, 22:27
Thanks yea I'm carrying a Mont bell ex lite down jacket wearing zip offs and ice breaker t shirt no rain gear I don't hike in the rain gave that up in Pennsylvania I just hide under my tarp and wait it out been considering getting one of the anorak wind shirts but can't decide thinking the down will block enough of the wind but all my distance hiking is east coast

Just Bill
03-12-2014, 22:46
The wind shirt was first popularized in the western mountains for good reason.
I wear a merino 1, Cap 4, and Houdini down to 30 with shorts/skirt when walking.

I would think a silkweight base layer, wind shell and ex lite would be enough layers but a Cap 2 or similiar for an extended windy ridgewalk might be nice- but you know SUL and "might be nice" don't go...

I would just think you would overheat with a base layer and ex lite when walking? I would think ditch the Ex lite, bring mid layer and windshell and hole up in your bag at camp. Dress for walking, sleep in camp type mentality...

You got enough stuff to keep you safe, and by your willingness to wait out rain it sounds like if you make a mistake or have a bad day you'd be willing to stop and hole up in your sleeping bag if needed. If you added a piece I would make it a windshell, especially with no rain gear (not that you need it).

All that said, my western experience is fairly limited and others could give you better advice I'm sure.

daypack
03-12-2014, 23:00
Thanks dude more opinions the better my thing with ditching the ex lite and going with a mid layer only is a mid layer weighs more than the ex lite 5.3oz all my mids are over 7oz and the ex lite does give some wind protection I've never used a wind shirt so can't compare but the ex lite is warmer at camp then a mid I'm sure I'll be fine hiking it's the night that I'm not sure I don't really know what kinda temps to expect

Slo-go'en
03-12-2014, 23:48
There is a good chance I'll also be doing the CT starting mid July this summer. Keep in mine most of the trail is exposed with no shade, so long sleeve shirt and pants are a good idea, along with a wide brim hat for sun protection. At an average altitude of 10K feet, not much uV protection! I plan on using my trusty Dickie work shirt, which is pretty good for wind too. I can't decide if I want to get a cowboy hat or use an unbrella.

As for rain, from what I've read the biggest threat is afternoon thunder storms and it is recommend to get off the ridges by noon or early afternoon. If it starts to look bad, get low and set up the tent. I'm not sure how that is possible and still bang out a 20 mile day, but I guess we'll have to try. Sounds like I'll have to get used to getting up before dawn :(

The guide books should arrive in my mail box in the next few days so I can start to look at what I'm getting myself into!

Just Bill
03-13-2014, 00:15
looking at vests- saw this for ya-
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2004&p_id=2303115&gen_cd=1&fo_flg=1

bobtomaskovic
03-13-2014, 00:37
While the afternoon thunderstorm is the norm, don't count on it. I've spent most of the day in rain near Silverton. And last year it just kept raining. A friend had to end his hike early for lack of a base layer.

Just Bill
03-13-2014, 00:41
Sorry to say it, but the last few years I don't think it's safe to say anything typical about the weather.

daypack
03-13-2014, 02:02
Just Bill -yea I've been considering that wind shirt they have it at the Mont bell store here in boulder but is it worth buying and carrying it never used one or saw anyone with one till I moved here they feel like the same material they use on the ul down jackets but may not be I dunno and yea the weather has been crazy the past few years .

Bob- yea I'm not worried about the rain I've sat under a tarp for 5 days straight on my 2012 GA-ME thru hike and did the same thing for my 2013 1400 mile section hike I'm used to it and as for ending a hike because he didn't have base layers wouldn't he simply buy some I'm just trying not to have to send anything back I don't need

wandering_bob
03-13-2014, 13:08
Mid-July thru early Sept is the monsoon season in CO. Get your miles in early each day if you plan to sit out the afternoon - or all day - showers under a tarp with no rain gear.

Most of my CT hiking has been in August, and many mornings it was in the low 20's when the sun came up. My 25° WM bag was perfect for the trail.

I routinely hike in a long sleeve merino wool base layer, preferably a zip-T, and long supplex nylon pants. LS can be pushed up when it gets warmer; short sleeves can not be pulled down when it gets colder (and it will). I was surprised by just how rapidly the air temperature falls once the sun gets behind the ridge. I carry a wind shirt, and it gets a LOT of use in the mountains of CO; even more than it did on the PCT. I save my puffball jacket for camp, but this summer, I may leave it home in favor of a 200 weight Ibex Hooded Indi and save 2 ounces (but I lose a great pillow that way).

Bottom line - you'll quickly adapt your kit to the conditions. If you start from Durango, you'll have the high elevations right off the bat, so you'll need more insulation immediately. You can always ship a layer home from Salida. On the other hand, if you start from Denver, you'll just keep going higher as you go south, and you'll have the opportunity to add layers by shopping in trail towns like Breckenridge and Salida..

Spirit Walker
03-13-2014, 13:20
We hiked southern Colorado in August 1997 and it rained pretty much every day, and in some cases all day. I ended up hypothermic on one particularly wet drizzly day. It is a really good idea to have something warm and dry to change into. I also wouldn't count on waiting out the rains. Some days we had 4 or 5 different rain/hail storms. Some lasted a few minutes, the last one lasted two hours. Finding a place to set up the tent to wait out the rain isn't always easy, especially if you are on a ridge and want to get away from lightning.

Paddlefoot
03-13-2014, 15:59
We hiked southern Colorado in August 1997 and it rained pretty much every day, and in some cases all day. I ended up hypothermic on one particularly wet drizzly day. It is a really good idea to have something warm and dry to change into. I also wouldn't count on waiting out the rains. Some days we had 4 or 5 different rain/hail storms. Some lasted a few minutes, the last one lasted two hours. Finding a place to set up the tent to wait out the rain isn't always easy, especially if you are on a ridge and want to get away from lightning.

No doubt!

Although I generally had pretty nice weather on my CT thru-hike last summer, there were some days with on-and-off showers heavy enough to warrant putting my raincoat on, and a couple of occasions of downright pouring rain toward the end of July.

I can't imagine having to stop and hide under a tarp on all those occasions.

It would have added at least a couple of days to the trip.

But I'm one of those weirdos that sort of likes occasionally hiking in the rain.

lonehiker
03-13-2014, 16:54
The guide books should arrive in my mail box in the next few days so I can start to look at what I'm getting myself into!

How many books are you carrying? All you need is Erik the Black's CT Atlas (singular). 3.5 oz and fits in a generic quart freezer-bag. Maps, data book, re-supply info, town maps, all in one book. Only drawback is his edition does not have Collegiate west route.

Deadeye
03-14-2014, 17:00
For what it's worth (it's worth a pound to me), I've never heard anyone complain about being warm, dry, and comfortable.

bobtomaskovic
03-16-2014, 02:47
What did you do for food for 5 days?

bearcreek
03-17-2014, 14:52
There is a good chance I'll also be doing the CT starting mid July this summer. Keep in mine most of the trail is exposed with no shade, so long sleeve shirt and pants are a good idea, along with a wide brim hat for sun protection. At an average altitude of 10K feet, not much uV protection! I plan on using my trusty Dickie work shirt, which is pretty good for wind too. I can't decide if I want to get a cowboy hat or use an unbrella.

Actually, most of the CT is in forest. The treeline in CO varies from 11,000 - 12,000 feet depending on exposure and latitude in the state. The only prolonged high altitude sections where you have to camp above treeline are in the San Juans. A fast hiker can get through the entire trail with just one night above treeline. The new trail opening in the Collegiate West includes a 23 mile stretch without trees as well.

My last SOBO hike featured heavy rains with grapple for twelve days - it rained at least two hours daily and incessantly for three of those days. I think you might have a miserable hike or not finish if you don't plan accordingly.

Absarokanaut
03-31-2014, 19:50
Wow. With all due respect I can't imagine going on a Rocky Mt. day hike let alone backpack without base layer and real rain/wind gear. I hiked in 4" of fresh snow here in Wyoming not too many mid Augusts ago and have seen more than 7" of snow on the 4th of July. In 1976 at 8,000' we had 10" of snow the first of August and single digit temps after the storm cleared. I've been on summer trips in both Wyoming and Colorado with more than 6" of rain.

Sometimes an obsession with utlralight could very well kill you. I go years without using my compass but its always in my pack. I've only had to use my bearspary once in now 15 years of carrying it but it goes out on my hip every time. You go without base layer and rain gear with all due respect you're playing some seriously long odds any truly rational person never would.

edh
04-09-2014, 01:18
I used a 20 degree (-7 C) bag on the CT last year; there were several nights when I needed it, waking up to frost on the ground. In the bag I wore a 90g LS baselayer, boxers, and socks - mainly (as said above) to keep the bag clean - not as I needed the extra warmth.
Daytime: went with a LS base, windshirt when needed, 3/4 pants.

colorado_rob
04-09-2014, 08:44
Wow. With all due respect I can't imagine going on a Rocky Mt. day hike let alone backpack without base layer and real rain/wind gear. I hiked in 4" of fresh snow here in Wyoming not too many mid Augusts ago and have seen more than 7" of snow on the 4th of July. In 1976 at 8,000' we had 10" of snow the first of August and single digit temps after the storm cleared. I've been on summer trips in both Wyoming and Colorado with more than 6" of rain. Yeah, agree, but I was thinking the OP meant something different from what some of us call a "base layer", since he was referring to sleeping garments?

Yes, of course you want wicking-type clothing hiking in Colorado, meaning a good "baselayer" top (smart wool, poly-pro, whatever) with some sort of modest insulating layer above that (fleece or UL down sweater) and a good rain jacket. For bottoms/pants, however, I believe in the heart of summer in CO, a pair of zip-off pants and an ultralight pair of rain pants are sufficient, meaning two total thin layers for pants are adequate, meaning "long johns" are not necessarily required. I do carry a 4 oz pair of nylon long underwear, however, but many of my CO pals do not.

lonehiker
04-09-2014, 10:05
I take a base layer but only use for sleeping (silk top, silk-weight bottoms, and socks). In a pinch I suppose I could use it but have never had cause to. Have done most of my hiking at elevation in the west. I only carry/wear, for hiking, a nylon short-sleeved shirt, light jacket, and a light rain jacket. Lower half simply nylon pants and rain pants (just bought rain kilt to replace the rain pants but have yet to use it). Throw in a fleece cap, gloves, and wide-brimmed hat. This combination has always worked for me for deep 3-season hiking. Meaning early spring to late autumn. On the PCT I plan on using this exact combination with only change being swapping a long-sleeved shirt for the short-sleeved. But only for sun protection.

So I guess what I am saying is that a base layer per se, isn't really necessary. Or another way to put is it that my base layer is a shirt and pants.

Edit: This is my setup whether thru-hiking or day-hiking. Minus the sleeping clothes for day hikes.

hkanz
04-13-2014, 02:37
Haha. Maybe I just get cold easily, but there was a day in the Canadian Rockies last August when I hiked out of camp wearing my long underwear, pants and short sleeved shirt, light down jacket, fuzzy, rainjacket and toque - and it took three hours for me to get warm enough to remove all those layers! :) What clothing you need probably depends a lot on your individual ability to generate body heat, so what works for one may not work for all. I definitely wouldn't go without long underwear on any trail where there's a chance of the temperatures dipping below freezing though.

Sampson
04-13-2014, 06:58
I always carry a base layer in a separate plastic bag. Tops,bottoms and a pair of socks. Most times I don't end up using them, but I thanked the almighty that I had them the few times I've needed them.