PDA

View Full Version : Montbell vs. Patagonia help please

Just Bill
03-12-2014, 22:21
Looking to replace and round out my down with some UL options. I've always scored well at Patagonia but looks like it's time to check out Montbell. Thier clearance options look like a better value and I have long wanted to own some Montbell gear.

Looks like I would go UL down vest- seems like a no brainer.

UL down jacket vs. Ex light seems a bit trickier comparison.
Warmth is likely the same- 2oz of 800 vs 1.8 oz of 900 is equal in my book.
But I don't live out west, so a wet sneeze and 900 fill down is equal to 800 fill in my experience.
7 denier shell could be fine, or could be a bust (literally) although with sewn through construction if you loose a baffle it's not the end of the jacket.

I have all other synthetic stuff, so specifically looking for a few down pieces to balance that out but the thermawrap does look good for anyone else...

BIG QUESTION- I know Montbell is cut tight- I wear a large in Patagonia- Likely XL in Montbell?

Any other random thoughts and feedback welcome- or if you know a comparible product I'd be interested to hear it. I want to stay in the light layers though- in combo with other stuff I have anything heavier is overkill.

Dogwood
03-12-2014, 23:34
At those kind of wts it's more about performance and your usage. For UL thru-hiking, the three pieces I use most often, 95% of the time in a layering combination, are a MB Thermawrap vest(currently own a 2013 version), MB UL Down Inner Jacket(no longer made by MB, it's basically the ExLight with hand pockets and larger area baffles ie; lose a baffle and I think I'd realize it with my jacket, this has lost some of its loft but I've used it extensively, no hood), RAB 800 Down Vest(there are gram weenie better options than this now but this is warm and RAB/ProLite has provided me with great Customer Service, still lofts as well as as when I original bought it, never washed it, love the Pertex Microlight w/ good DWR shell on this), and MB UL Down Jacket. Yeah, the MB Thermawrap Vest has an athletic fit.

Dogwood
03-12-2014, 23:38
The 7 denier shell is something you need to be aware of too. It can easily get a hole or small tear in it from a thorn or ember or by a small stick poking it or if clumsily jamming it into a backpack or indiscriminately yanking it out of a shovel pocket with other sharp stuff in the pocket or if getting it caught in a zipper.

Just Bill
03-12-2014, 23:53
I think that's the kicker for me, it's a cheap enough jacket if I trash it- but still. 15d isn't too bad, 7d is downright delicate.

I'm fairly sure the moisture sucking 900 fill would end up compromised just from ambient air after a few days, but never owned any pieces higher than 750 personally. So the few ounce advantage would be effectively gone anyway.

I'm fairly sure it's going to be the UL jacket and vest- for $200 or so seems like a solid addition. My down stuff is ancient.

I would consider the Rab harder but from BPL reviews and other feedback I don't think it is cut for my body type at all. Besides the bigger chest I have Popeye forearms not likely to get along with the euro cut Rab's.

I think that's really the only options out there worth looking at... except maybe-
http://lukesultralite.com/content/luke%E2%80%99s-ultralite-down-vest

But probably just going with Montbell for $85.

Dogwood
03-13-2014, 00:08
Just wear your training Bra, don't bust any Arnold poses, and you'll be good ta go with the Euro Trash RAB down vest. :D Just tell em you're a Brit.
Seriously, if you can pick up the MB ExLight for $85 in a dashing color that matches your complexion pull the trigger.

Just Bill
03-13-2014, 00:34
Done- vest in a handsome blue to match me eyes, Jacket in a greenish yellow to match my pee

mak1277
03-13-2014, 14:09
Ah...so it's too late to suggest you look at the Borah Gear down vest?

I don't own one, but I've read a couple of good reviews. More down, better fill than the Montbell UL vest but it's still lighter overall. Drawbacks appear to be a lack of pockets and no collar. $100.

I'm in the market for a new down piece too, so I've been doing a lot of cyber browsing recently.

Just Bill
03-13-2014, 17:58
It looks nice Mak but....
The half zip would've been a deal breaker for me. With my pack on I use a vest from time to time by wearing it backwards, especially down so I don't sweat out the back.
So don't feel bad it wouldn't have stopped me from pulling the trigger.

Dogwood
03-13-2014, 18:31
Done- vest in a handsome blue to match me eyes, Jacket in a greenish yellow to match my pee

Add that to the pony tails and the buck snort look on your face in the avatar and you're one non GQ scary dude. The happy people will be taking a liking to you. :D