PDA

View Full Version : Water in the Superstitions

Jack89
03-12-2014, 23:21
Hi,
I'm planning on hiking the 50 mile stretch of the Arizona Trail from Superior to Roosevelt Lake at the end of this month (passages 18 and 19). I've joined the Arizona Trail Association and looked over the water source info, but I'd like to get a little first hand information if I could. It looks like there's there's a bit of a stretch after Reavis Creek, maybe up to 20 miles, where the water may be iffy.

I want to keep the hike kind of leisurely, maybe 15 miles a day, and wondering if I need to load up on the water through that area.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dogwood
03-12-2014, 23:48
Maybe, I'll see ya out there Jack. Leaving March 26 from the Dutchman TH Trail #104 off Forest Road 78 heading east on the Grand Enchantment Tr.

See if any of this helps. http://www.simblissity.net/get/guide-seg02.shtml
Click the Water Chart Info and raed the Route Details

garlic08
03-13-2014, 09:11
Trust Fred's water report, and contact him for specifics this year. He lives and hikes in that area and he will likely know the status of streams and springs.

In general, a 20-mile water carry is a fairly short one on the AZT. I've usually had pretty good luck finding water in the Supes, but every season is different. It's been pretty dry down there this year so be cautious.

Rolls Kanardly
03-13-2014, 17:36
Hi,
I'm planning on hiking the 50 mile stretch of the Arizona Trail from Superior to Roosevelt Lake at the end of this month (passages 18 and 19). I've joined the Arizona Trail Association and looked over the water source info, but I'd like to get a little first hand information if I could. It looks like there's there's a bit of a stretch after Reavis Creek, maybe up to 20 miles, where the water may be iffy.

I want to keep the hike kind of leisurely, maybe 15 miles a day, and wondering if I need to load up on the water through that area.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If you want a resupply PM me. I am in Mesa and will bring you what you need. Rolls

StubbleJumper
03-13-2014, 19:41
I completed the AZT last year and do not recall any issues with water from Superior to Roosevelt (but the Oracle to Superior stretch was verrry dry). I was lucky and had lots of water along Whitford Canyon, and I even got my feet wet at one water crossing! Reavis Trail Canyon is reasonably reliable and Reavis Ranch has lots of water. I camped at Pine Creek which, luckily, was flowing quite well (there are two good campsites beside the creek). There was lots of water at Cottonwood Creek, and there was also a livestock trough there too.

Frankly, it was one of the easier stretches from a water perspective. Just read Fred Gaudet's water report to see whether the W1s and W2s seem to have water, and you'll be fine.

Toolshed
03-13-2014, 22:28
Make sure you stop into Tortilla Flats. I cannot wait to go back !!!! :)

Jack89
03-14-2014, 08:36
Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely pay close attention to Fred's report, sounds like a pretty reliable resource. Great link Dogwood, hope to see you out there.

Thanks for the offer Rolls, I live in Chandler and my son's helping me out.

Rolls Kanardly
03-14-2014, 12:31
Thanks for the offer Rolls, I live in Chandler and my son's helping me out.
Ahhh, shoot and I was hoping to be a "Trail Angel" and do my first "Trail Magic".:banana

It is great that your son can find the time to help you. Have a good hike.
Rolls

pyroman53
03-15-2014, 13:01
I will be seeing someone next weekend who will have just hiked this stretch. I'll ask and let you know of any updates. Oh, and I actually live in Gilbert.

pyroman53
03-22-2014, 17:33
I will be seeing someone next weekend who will have just hiked this stretch. I'll ask and let you know of any updates. Oh, and I actually live in Gilbert.

Trip fell through but might contact Trail Steward, Craig at:480-491-4906 mailto:[email protected]

Jack89
03-31-2014, 10:55
I just finished passages 18 and 19 yesterday and found that Fred's water data was right on the money. I carried four liters starting out and more or less refilled to that level when stopped at a water point. Probably didn't need that much until after Walnut Spring.

I started out at Picketpost trailhead on Thursday morning and finished at Roosevelt bridge just after 11 am on Sunday. For me, this was a pretty challenging hike. I ain't afraid to say that some of that elevation change kinda kicked my butt. It was well worth it, though. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking in some places.

Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate the good advice, and kudos to the ATA for the tracking and waypoint data. I used that info on Gaia GPS, and it was a big help.