PDA

View Full Version : PA in 2-3 weeks

Dryphly
09-15-2005, 02:06
(I wasn't sure where to start this thread and here seemed like as good a place as any)

I'm planning on hiking the entire PA section of the AT next summer. And although i have hiked a lot of parts of it in central PA, those have all been weekend trips no more than 40 miles. I was just wondering if there are any serious heads ups i should be aware of for the rest of the state. Some things i'm specifically curious on are
- Shoes or Boots
- How to plan food for 3 weeks on the AT
- stove (what to take)
- whats the best time to go in the summer

Any help is appreciated, i haven't been on the much in the last couple years and i need to get back, this brain storm is step one!

MOWGLI
09-15-2005, 06:59
Couple of things. The later in the summer, the drier it may be. Then again, maybe not. But if you could get out earlier, that would be my advice. The ridges in PA can be mighty hot & dry in July & August.

Regarding food, I'd buy it along the way - with perhaps a mail drop to Port Clinton. The P.O. is practically on the trail. Same for Boiling Springs.

I assume you mean hiking boots or trail runners? That all depends on your physical conditioning and your base pack weight. The rocks in PA can beat up the bottoms of your feet, so if you are not trail hardened, something with a vibram sole might be the way to go.

I hope that helps somewhat. You might be looking for more fundamental info on food planning. If so, just ask and someone will assist you.

Alligator
09-15-2005, 08:50
Couple of things. The later in the summer, the drier it may be. Then again, maybe not. But if you could get out earlier, that would be my advice. The ridges in PA can be mighty hot & dry in July & August.This year they were extremely dry in August. Keep an eye on weather conditions and you may want to bring a water filter in order to pump small puddles.

I assume you mean hiking boots or trail runners? That all depends on your physical conditioning and your base pack weight. The rocks in PA can beat up the bottoms of your feet, so if you are not trail hardened, something with a vibram sole might be the way to go.Excellent advice. Also, consider the strength of your ankles. My ankles were very sore after my 100 mile section in trail runners.

Patrick
09-15-2005, 16:29
I've done most of my hiking in MD/VA and have used running shoes exclusively for about six years. I just got back from a 100-mile trip through Massachusetts and northern Connecticut and it's a whole other world up there. I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have some light boots up there and farther north and I've heard PA is the same way in terms of rocks. That said, my ankles and lower legs had gotten used to it after five or six days, so I'm not sure I'd actually take that plunge.

My opinion would be that if you're on the fence and don't have experience hiking that stuff in runners, to take light boots that are well broken in.

I also agree about the filter, especially in late summer. I always carry a filter, but the trail in MA was really dry this past trip, so I'd recommend one ever more heartily. I carry a small wash bucket and had to use that to gather water then filter out of it many times because the water was so low/nasty.

Have a good time. I hear that stretch of the trail is a tough one.

kyhipo
09-15-2005, 16:37
well i would consider a taking a little longer its really a pretty state and well the rocks didnt hurt me i have seen first hand others hurt,i would consider wearing a boot their;) ky

the goat
09-15-2005, 17:18
the doyle, trail angle mary, & pbr for 90 cents a pint:clap

Moxie00
09-15-2005, 21:48
:datz I'd plan on 2 or three pairs of boots rather than 2-3 weeks. The PA trail maintainers go out every night after the hikers go to sleep and sharpen the rocks.
:dance :bse :dance :bse :dance :bse :dance :bse :bse :clap (whenyou get to NJ)