PDA

View Full Version : Healthier Trail Baking: Paleo Muffin Recipe with Caldera Cone, Foster's Pot, Starlyte

Demeter
03-13-2014, 03:48
Here's my Double Chocolate Chip muffin recipe: no flour or processed foods other than a tablespoon of mini choc chips (the ones I used aren't the Paleo type, but I didn't feel like driving an hour to the Whole Paycheck store).

Trying to eat well on the trail is pretty challenging since it requires some forethought. I really salivate when I see people enjoying baked goodies. I have been tinkering with Paleo for a year now, and have tried this recipe while backpacking to good success. I think when I thru hike I will carry my complete baking/cook kit full-time just because it's versatile, and throw some home packaged muffin mixes in with resupply boxes. I also have a Cinnamon Roll muffin in the works, but it's kinda hard to adapt to backpacking..

The first couple minutes I discuss the ingredients, followed by my .02 about trail eating in general, ended with an on-trail demo of cooking. The recipe and nutritional info is at the end of the video.

http://youtu.be/rkvK0peGJr4

Rocket Jones
03-13-2014, 06:09
Cool! Thanks for sharing this.

Hot Flash
03-13-2014, 10:05
The paleofantasy diet is just another fad. Eat foods that are healthful for you, but don't pretend it's how our ancient ancestors ate, because you're just kidding yourself. Same for gluten-free. There is nothing inherently unhealthful about foods with gluten in them, unless you actually have celiac disease, which most people do not.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/

Demeter
03-13-2014, 11:25
Faddish, maybe. But I have never been a fan of the Standard American Diet (SAD) which revolves around processed, refined, and packaged foods. While I don't consider myself truly Paleo (or any other diet for that matter) I do love the ingenuity behind a lot of the recipes available on the internet. In the past when i avoided SAD components i would feel a good bit deprived. Now i can enjoy foods that I grew up with (I.e. breads and "pastas" from veggies), without regret.

myakka_
03-13-2014, 12:36
Refined and processed sugars are soooo not good. Folks can knock the paleo because the name and concept seem funny, but if they called it the "eat fresh stuff and avoid processed crap diet" you would never get it on a book title....... The science behind the paleo diet is that you are running on ketones, and there are TONS of studies on the health benefits of this. It is especially good versus neurological disorders (which are RAMPANT in our current sugar laden diets) Here is one article that references some of the studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/

So even if the concept is "hokey", there is REAL science behind paleo.

CalebJ
03-13-2014, 12:42
The paleofantasy diet is just another fad. Eat foods that are healthful for you, but don't pretend it's how our ancient ancestors ate, because you're just kidding yourself. Same for gluten-free. There is nothing inherently unhealthful about foods with gluten in them, unless you actually have celiac disease, which most people do not.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/
So, based on your research, how did our ancient ancestors eat?

myakka_
03-13-2014, 12:50
The current numbers for Celiac are 1 out of 133 people in this country have this specific disease. And many more have related issues like IBS.

So doing math in my head makes that about 55(?) million people who are DIAGNOSED with it? And how many more going undiagnosed or misdiagnosed?

Dude, hate on paleo in ignorance, but don't pretend there is no need for gluten free options...

Sarcasm the elf
03-13-2014, 13:00
So, based on your research, how did our ancient ancestors eat?

Anything and everything they could get their hands on so that they could avoid starving, the diets varied radically depending what part of the world they were from. Remember that this included lots of things such as rodents, insects, grubs, smaller fish, available wild grains, tree nuts, quite possibly carrion (i'm speculating on that one but it seems likely if they were hungry enough) [Edit: forgot to mention EVERY part of the animal, muscles, organ meats, cartilage, marrow and anything else they could get.]

Of course, this isn't to say i have anything against the current iteration of the paleo diet, it may be trendy right at the moment, but it seems a lot healthier than what most Americans eat.

Foresight
03-13-2014, 13:31
Starting my 4th year eating paleo. I never really understood the going out of my way to make something paleo that resembles something that's not phenomenon, like your muffins. Don't get me wrong (I wasn't accepted into the "Hot Flash" school of charm), I'm not in any way knocking that you do/are, just stating that I personally have never had that desire and therefore don't get it.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2014, 13:51
I think I'll stick with the pre-packaged crap, but the method of baking is interesting. I imagine it would work for boxed brownie or muffin mix or even cookie dough. I'll have to give it a try, thanks.

CalebJ
03-13-2014, 13:59
Anything and everything they could get their hands on so that they could avoid starving, the diets varied radically depending what part of the world they were from. Remember that this included lots of things such as rodents, insects, grubs, smaller fish, available wild grains, tree nuts, quite possibly carrion (i'm speculating on that one but it seems likely if they were hungry enough) [Edit: forgot to mention EVERY part of the animal, muscles, organ meats, cartilage, marrow and anything else they could get.] Of course, this isn't to say i have anything against the current iteration of the paleo diet, it may be trendy right at the moment, but it seems a lot healthier than what most Americans eat.
I was specifically addressing the question to Hot Flash since she claimed that what we call 'paleo' bears no resemblance to what our ancestors ate.

That said, what are you suggesting from your list doesn't correlate with what's generally accepted as the 'paleo diet' today?
I'm not 100% paleo, probably closer to 70% since I'll occasionally eat what's convenient rather than preparing healthier options.

Foresight
03-13-2014, 14:03
The only thing on his list would be wild grains.

Rocket Jones
03-13-2014, 14:05
Paleo is eating like our ancestors, not eating exactly what our ancestors ate. Eat animals, seafood, plants, nuts, seeds, fruit and fats. As little processed food as possible, as little grain as possible. I recently was reminded that it's not about eating "meat", it's about eating "animals", which includes the entire critter. Last weekend I made a batch of beef stock from oxtail bones, and last night chowed down on some delicious liver and onions. :)

Foresight
03-13-2014, 15:07
Mmmmmmmmm, liver and onions. Sounds offal....and it is.

Demeter
03-13-2014, 15:34
Mmmmmmmmm, liver and onions. Sounds offal....and it is.

Offally good :)

Foresight
03-13-2014, 16:25
Yes Ma'am!

For those inquiring minds.....

Demeter
03-13-2014, 16:33
Yes Ma'am!

For those inquiring minds.....

ROTFL! I love the chart, definitely going to copy that one. After working all night and with the morning I have had I seriously need this laugh, thank you!

myakka_
03-13-2014, 16:33
Thanks Foresight! This I will repost. I know a couple folks that will giggle at this.

Foresight
03-13-2014, 16:46
I have it on my phone and have read it innumerable times and always get a laugh out of it :D

Tuckahoe
03-13-2014, 19:10
The current numbers for Celiac are 1 out of 133 people in this country have this specific disease. And many more have related issues like IBS.

So doing math in my head makes that about 55(?) million people who are DIAGNOSED with it? And how many more going undiagnosed or misdiagnosed?

Dude, hate on paleo in ignorance, but don't pretend there is no need for gluten free options...

Your math is off. The generally accepted number is about 1 in 160 having celiac. But even at 1 in 133, that works out to about 0.75%. Thats 3/4 of 1% or 2.25 million, of 300 million Americans.

Two and a quarter million Americans with celiac fits in with a number of reports/articles that say that 2 million have celiac, that another 1 million think they have it, but dont, and that there is another potential 1 to 1.5 million that remain undiagnosed.

myakka_
03-13-2014, 19:13
I would venture that every time you google US population and how many folks have celiac you will get slightly different figures. That's where I got my numbers.

But still, using your numbers, that is still plenty of folks who can benefit from passing these recipes around. I am not about debating minutia. The gist was valid.