PDA

View Full Version : Day hike?

tnhiker22
03-13-2014, 10:38
I'm wanting to do a day hike this weekend to somewhere I've never been. I've been to Charlies Bunion, Chimney Tops, Abram's Falls, Mt. Leconte/Alum Cave, and Clingmans Dome. I'm wanting to do Gregory Bald, but I want to save that for June. It doesn't matter to me if it's water falls or great views, just something new. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

HooKooDooKu
03-13-2014, 12:23
Fire Tower...

Easiest one I can think of as a day hike is Mt. Cammerer out of Cosby Campgrounds. It's a little over 5 miles one-way.
But for some exhilaration, do Shuckstack from Fontana or Mount Sterling from Big Creek or MountSterling Gap. These are the 60' tall towers you can still climb up.
The tower at Shuckstack takes a little more bravery to climb... it's in pretty poor shape as everyone hiking the AT goes by it.
The tower at Mt. Sterling is in better shape.

Only other thing that jumps to mind is hiking the length of Sugarland Mt... but that requires a shuttle (and some extra distance if the road to Clingman's Dome is still closed).

If you're trying to knock off all the trails in GSMNP like I hope to some day, I would also suggest Roundtop Trail. Again it requires a shuttle, but the Little Brown Book mentions the amount of poison ivy on the trail... so now while the leaves are dead would be a good time to hike that trail.

There's also hiking Laurel Falls Trail out to see the fire tower still used as a weather station (but you can't access the tower). From what I understand, the tower is located down a short trail at the intersection of Laurel Falls and Cove Mt.

Another option is The Jumpoff. It's trail head is located about 0.1 miles down the Boulevard from its intersection with the AT. The side trail is marked by a sign and is about 1/2 mile long. Brings you out to basically a cliff face.

Tennessee Viking
03-13-2014, 12:33
I would check with Sugarland on conditions. Recent weather may make a day hike more trouble than its worth.

I read up on some posts by Cookerhiker that there is still a lot of ice on trail out of Newfound Gap.

I have walked up to Rainbow Falls. Its a pretty steady steep climb. And to LeConte it gets even more.
Alum Cave is a shorter distance to LeConte.
Clingman's Dome would be good if you think you can IN/OUT from Newfound. The Clingmans Road usually doesn't open until April or by good weather conditions.

If not restricted to the park, head to the Parkway and try some MST from Waterrock Knob to Asheville.

Snowbird Mtn tower beacon
Max Patch

Schwaa
03-13-2014, 12:40
I can't give any good options as I have a very limited experience in GSMNP. However, I will recommended against the laurel falls trail to the water tower. I did that hike a couple years ago and found it very monotonous, lacking any views(except at the end looking down the power lines). And like was mentioned, you can't climb the tower, except for a few steps.

One hike I did that was out of the ordinary was to hike out to the green giant. I like big trees, and that thing is a big tree(east coast standards of course). I don't believe it's on a designated trail though. It starts out of little green briar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madgoat
03-13-2014, 14:39
I agree with HooKooDooKu. Shuckstack fire tower or Mt. Cammerer would be my choice. Shuckstack would be a great day hike since you can throw in a little sight seeing at Fontana Dam and ogle the cars and bikes on the Tail of the Dragon.

Saw a nice Lamborghini and a Ferrari parked at one of the pullofs last time I drove the dragon....

myakka_
03-13-2014, 14:42
Gregory bald is named for my family. I know that's way not the point of your thread, but I seldom get to mention that to anyone!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-13-2014, 18:12
Gregory bald is named for my family. I know that's way not the point of your thread, but I seldom get to mention that to anyone!

very cool.....it must be a wonderful feeling to be up there, look around, and feel a true part of it.

myakka_
03-13-2014, 18:33
I get that way especially around Cades Cove. My grandfather used to take us hiking up the mountain to his old homestead. I was too young to remember the path now, and my dad is the only one who might. He is wheelchair bound so it is probably lost to us.

But I feel connected to all of the Smokies in that way. It resonates with me. Best I can explain. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Back to topic, I will ask, if you DO go to Gregory Bald, shoot pics and post. I love to see it every time, even if it is through someone else's lens.

Ox97GaMe
03-13-2014, 22:47
They got a healthy amount of snow at the higher elevations last night. Trails above 4000 ft will be snow/ice covered. This weekend may be better to do a low elevation loop. Maybe head out of Greenbrier or Tremont. Sat mornings, the Cades Cove loop is closed to vehicle traffic, so anything in that area would have to wait until Sunday, unless you want just an afternoon loop hike.

ATL Backpacker
03-14-2014, 08:27
Boogerman Trail combined with Caldwell Fork trail makes for a nice ~7.5 mile loop trail out of Cataloochee. Big trees, solitude, and remnants of homesteads make this an interesting hike. I've heard Caldwell Fork trail has some footbridges out so you may want to inquire with a ranger beforehand.

tnhiker22
03-14-2014, 10:04
Thanks for all the suggestions. HooKooDooKu, I like the fire tower idea. I'll probably go with Laurel Falls up to the Cove Mt tower. Thanks again.

madgoat
03-14-2014, 10:14
Boogerman Trail combined with Caldwell Fork trail makes for a nice ~7.5 mile loop trail out of Cataloochee. Big trees, solitude, and remnants of homesteads make this an interesting hike. I've heard Caldwell Fork trail has some footbridges out so you may want to inquire with a ranger beforehand.

Boogerman is one of my favorite trails in the park. No sweeping vistas, no crazy waterfalls, just a nice varied trail that takes you up to higher elevations and back down again. Very pleasant.

I also particularly liked Cataloochee Divide Trail in that area. It skirts the border of the park and the other side of the fence is maintained as open land, so the views are pretty fantastic and constant. When I hiked it several years ago, I was unaware that there was a bed and breakfast right on the border with the park. I was a little surprised to come across open ground, Adirondack chairs and pavilions out in the middle of nowhere. Pretty neat place, but I don't think I'm willing to pay the $300+ per night to stay there.

madgoat
03-14-2014, 10:25
I just checked the BnB website (http://www.theswag.com/index.htm).... $495-$875 per night. $4 per person per night doesn't seem so bad....

gollwoods
03-15-2014, 13:35
I think a visit to ramsey's cascade is a nice hike

Traffic Jam
03-15-2014, 14:35
They got a healthy amount of snow at the higher elevations last night. Trails above 4000 ft will be snow/ice covered. This weekend may be better to do a low elevation loop. Maybe head out of Greenbrier or Tremont. Sat mornings, the Cades Cove loop is closed to vehicle traffic, so anything in that area would have to wait until Sunday, unless you want just an afternoon loop hike. The Cades Cove loop doesn't close to vehicle traffic until May. I agree with hiking out of Tremont, lots of good trails. West Prong Trail is a great hike and you can extend it by hiking Finley Cane Trail or Bote Mountain Trail. It can also be a 14-15 mi loop.

duckypaddler
03-16-2014, 10:33

I was fishing up there last week. There is a bridge out somewhere right above the turn around. Crossing shouldn't be too bad, but make sure you are prepared for it. Water was still pretty cold (44 when we got there 46 before we left) and hopefully you won't fall in up to your neck like I did.

HooKooDooKu
03-16-2014, 17:44
The trail is currently closed because of the bridge being out.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

tnhiker22
03-17-2014, 11:00
So I deciding on Laurel Falls/Cove Mountain. Very good hike!!

HooKooDooKu
03-17-2014, 11:35
I so hate that bridge at Laurel Falls...

I can understand the purpose for putting it up, but it makes taking natural looking pictures of the water fall difficult. I'm glad I got the opportunity to visit and picture the falls before the bride was built.

Next time, rather than taking a downward picture of the lower falls, I'd recommend climbing down there and getting face-on pictures. From what I recall, it's not very difficult to get down there. There is something of a man-way off the paved path just before the falls. I've even been able to hike down to the lower falls in snow.

Nice trail shot... amazing how much green you can still find in GSMNP even in winter.

I haven't seen the fire tower in person... yet. How far (if at all) can you climb this fire tower. I would assume that huge box located about 1/2 way up the tower is locked... but can you at least climb the stairs to the box? If so, it looks like you've have a view about 25' off the ground.

tnhiker22
03-17-2014, 13:38

I can understand the purpose for putting it up, but it makes taking natural looking pictures of the water fall difficult. I'm glad I got the opportunity to visit and picture the falls before the bride was built.

Next time, rather than taking a downward picture of the lower falls, I'd recommend climbing down there and getting face-on pictures. From what I recall, it's not very difficult to get down there. There is something of a man-way off the paved path just before the falls. I've even been able to hike down to the lower falls in snow.

Nice trail shot... amazing how much green you can still find in GSMNP even in winter.

I haven't seen the fire tower in person... yet. How far (if at all) can you climb this fire tower. I would assume that huge box located about 1/2 way up the tower is locked... but can you at least climb the stairs to the box? If so, it looks like you've have a view about 25' off the ground.

You are correct. The box 1/2 way up is locked, but you can climb up to that point. Here's another pic

tnhiker22
03-17-2014, 13:39

I saw the path to the bottom of the falls, but we didn't do it. I'll do it next time.

CalebJ
03-17-2014, 14:19
It amazes me every time I go to Sterling that the tower there is unlocked. That's made for a couple of -very- sketchy climbs in the winter when the steps were covered with ice. Still, worth it for the spectacular views at the top.