PDA

View Full Version : Can't reach my water in side pocket (Z65)

slbirdnerd
03-13-2014, 13:18
I picked up a new pack I think I'm going to love, but the Gregory Z65 has a trampoline suspension, putting the side pocket that much farther back and out of reach. I CANNOT reach to put my Gatorade bottle in or get it out. I won't use a bladder for several reasons (failure, they're a pain, etc.). I'm contemplating rigging my Gatorade bottle lid with a rubber grommet/Camelbak tube/bite valve. I'd like to hear from anyone who also has a pack they love but issues reaching their side pockets. What do you do? :-?

88BlueGT
03-13-2014, 13:20
I picked up a new pack I think I'm going to love, but the Gregory Z65 has a trampoline suspension, putting the side pocket that much farther back and out of reach. I CANNOT reach to put my Gatorade bottle in or get it out. I won't use a bladder for several reasons (failure, they're a pain, etc.). I'm contemplating rigging my Gatorade bottle lid with a rubber grommet/Camelbak tube/bite valve. I'd like to hear from anyone who also has a pack they love but issues reaching their side pockets. What do you do? :-?

I have this exact problem with my ULA Circuit. Not sure if it's the pack or my arms are small :o Sometimes it's not too bad but other times I feel like I'm going to dislocate my shoulder reaching for my bottle! I dislike bladders myself so sometimes it can be a real pain. What to I do about it? Don't drink as much :/

myakka_
03-13-2014, 13:23
I also am against bladders just as a matter of taste. Besides, my fav canteen sections and becomes a cooking cup.

I use a converted hunting pack, but it put the webbing for the water bottle way back on the fanny pack portion.

So I added a home sewn canteen holder that slides onto the belt. The sewing was simple, and the diy made me happy.

Sailing_Faith
03-13-2014, 13:27
I have had this problem with a few different packs. I like water bladders for hiking, but my daily "training hike" backs get too much use (when I am ashore anyway).

A couple of things I have tired are to tie a short bit of line to the loop in the bottle cap retainer (you could tie it to the neck of the Gatorade bottle) to retrieve it. This helps get it out, but not put it back. For that, I loosen the shock cord that goes around the top of the pocket if it is adjustable... Those two things help some... Practice does also.

Might be a good reason to take up yoga. :)

88BlueGT
03-13-2014, 13:31
I have had this problem with a few different packs. I like water bladders for hiking, but my daily "training hike" backs get too much use (when I am ashore anyway).

A couple of things I have tired are to tie a short bit of line to the loop in the bottle cap retainer (you could tie it to the neck of the Gatorade bottle) to retrieve it. This helps get it out, but not put it back. For that, I loosen the shock cord that goes around the top of the pocket if it is adjustable... Those two things help some... Practice does also.

Might be a good reason to take up yoga. :)

I think this may be our best option birdnerd!

Drybones
03-13-2014, 13:34
I have a Gregory, 3 REI packs, a Deuter, and a Granite Gear Crown 60....the Granite Gear is the only pack I can get my water bottle in/out of with the pack on. The Osprey Exos looks like it has a pocket that allows for easy in/out of the water bottle. This is a big issue to me, don't know why more manufacturers don't solve the problem.

Dogwood
03-13-2014, 13:34

Try Pilates. It stretches the muscles. :D

88BlueGT
03-13-2014, 13:39
I have a Gregory, 3 REI packs, a Deuter, and a Granite Gear Crown 60....the Granite Gear is the only pack I can get my water bottle in/out of with the pack on. The Osprey Exos looks like it has a pocket that allows for easy in/out of the water bottle. This is a big issue to me, don't know why more manufacturers don't solve the problem.

Agreed. Like why not move the bottle holster from the pack to the last few inches of the hipbelt in the back?

FarmerChef
03-13-2014, 13:41
I enjoy both water bottles and bladders. Pros and cons to both. But I didn't chime in here to get into a debate on bottles versus bladders. Sounds gross anyway :D

As for reaching back for the water bottle, are you handy with a needle and thread or sewing machine, slbirdnerd? I'm figuring Just Bill will chime in and school me on my sewing technique but here goes. Why not sew a couple loops on your shoulder straps and put your bottles on your chest instead? It helps balance your pack out with the weight in front of you and the bottles are much easier to get to. Not sure what specific design considerations there are for men versus women but I've seen both doing this so it can be done. I'm thinking shockcord or maybe some stretchy webbing?

Foresight
03-13-2014, 13:44
550 chord around the bottle and caribinered to the pack strap.

FarmerChef
03-13-2014, 13:47
550 chord around the bottle and caribinered to the pack strap.

I like that. Knew I'd seen the carabiner trick somewhere but couldn't place it.

russb
03-13-2014, 14:06
I have had my water bottle on a "leash" for years. I still keep it in the side pocket. I have noticed some packs are easier to get the bottle in/out of than others. The easiest for me is my GG Mariposa.

tiptoe
03-13-2014, 15:48
I had the same problem (reaching the water bottle) with my Gregory Forester. I now mostly use a Circuit. I don't like carrying water inside the pack, so I put a 1-liter Platy soft bottle in a side pocket and run the drinking hose up over my shoulder and clip it so the shoulder strap or sternum strap. I also carry a 16-oz. plastic bottle using the Circuit's bottle loops on the front of the shoulder straps and a 1-liter plastic soda bottle, which I use mostly in camp or for when I need to carry extra water.

Nick P
03-13-2014, 16:06
I have the same pack, and had the same problem, but practice and smart water bottles solved it for me, and no Pilates.

daddytwosticks
03-13-2014, 16:20
Go to the ULA site and see how they use shock cords to attach Gatoraide-type water bottles to their pack straps. This is what I've been doing for years on the packs that I cannot easily reach the water bottle pockets on the sides. As FarmerChef mentioned, it helps to balance the pack a bit. :)

diyguy
03-13-2014, 16:27
I carry my bottles using paracord slings that I slip over my head and one arm across the chest. The bottle rides comfortably at my side and when I need a sip I simply grab, sip, and drop. I use an adjustable knot to make the sizing of the sling adjustable (a tighter fit helps eliminate any swing).

lonehiker
03-13-2014, 16:42
After reading all of the hoops you have to jump through in the preceding posts..... you think a water bladder is a pain......

Drybones
03-13-2014, 16:49
I have the same pack, and had the same problem, but practice and smart water bottles solved it for me, and no Pilates.

Just think what you could do with Palates.

Drybones
03-13-2014, 16:52
After reading all of the hoops you have to jump through in the preceding posts..... you think a water bladder is a pain......

Good point. You'd think the pack makers would have figured out how to get a bottle in and out of the pack by now. That was one feature that made me consider the Osprey Exos.

Just Bill
03-13-2014, 17:51
That's a men's only pack it looks like? Was looking at it on the website to see if I could help- just want to make sure I saw the right one.
Few problems-
Them fancy shoulder straps with the plastic glide for your shoulder straps are neat-o- but you would need to modify the pack to get water bottle holsters/holders up front. Check out Matt's pack for a good example of what I mean- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOaCQQk74M
The little logo'd tags where your load lifter straps can tuck into appear to be the only point of attachment but you could sew on a lower one.

It is possible to use string or tent-fly shock cord and a biner (works great with gatorade bottles because of the notch) but with a single attachment point they would be serious boobie bouncers and unpleasant to wear.
You could slip a hair tie over the shoulder strap (undo the bottom where the webbing meets the pack). That would give you a second attachement point without sewing to stabilize the bottle but you may want a different (smaller) bottle like the 24 oz. set Matt uses. Even for gents that's about the biggest you want to carry up front or they restrict arm movement, even worse when rack interference is added to the equation for ladies. Tent pole shock cord is best for these options, although larger hair ties fit small bottles.

These packs/vests are the best shoulder rig, but as you may note- the straps are wider and cut totally different. I can't see them being compatible with anything past a small B cup either. http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-630-pb-adventure-vest-20.aspx?category=hydration-packs

The water bottle pockets do suck-
As mentioned, a 1L smartwater bottle is best for the tight narrow packs like this one and could be tipped forward. Cutting the lid off the top of a 32 ounce gatorade or 1L aquafina bottle would let you stuff a "holster" into the pocket to keep it open- but that pocket looks like it would be hard to cram a bottle into even with it off. I like the tip about using a cord as a grab leash to snag it, combined with a holster that may do the job.

You could use a rubber stopper with a hole in it to plug the bottle and feed a hose through the center hole (hardware store), but you would need a hose for each bottle (unless you pack right but at some point you drink yourself out of balance a bit with one), and if you're icky about bladders then why introduce hoses?
But a 1.5L bladder would probably fit in each side pouch and do the trick.

After that it's sewing time. (After you have determined this is the greatest pack in the world and you don't want to return it)
Without seeing it in person- the easiest solution appears to be to cut the pocket fabric closest to you. Main issue appears to be the pocket is too tall and swallows the bottle. Cutting a few inches would let the bottle tip further forward. Much more sewing than that and you probably wouldn't be asking us how to do it.;)

If you fall in love and none of this works, PM me and maybe I can help.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE-
The water bottle pocket problem is a manufacturing issue mainly. The way a pack is sewn affects design, especially a suspension pack like that one. My packs have the water bottle feature you folks are grasping for; the side closest to you is lower and attaches to the hip belt. It is the only logical solution and does the job nicely. It also gives you enough room to stuff a windshell or rain cape in with your water bottles and puts the bottles slightly across the hips. It makes the bottles very easy to get in and out. (Sorry no pics)

But...it is a PITA to sew and pretty well violates every pack construction rule. I am hoping to prototype my packs this year, but other than that, as far as I know you can't buy a pack with that feature until you solve the manufacturing challenge. I think I have it, but until I take it further I don't know for sure.

Prime Time
03-13-2014, 22:42
There is NOTHING more important on a long hike, especially in the summer, than proper hydration. If reaching for your bottle is a struggle than you are asking for trouble. I watched many a thru hiker melt away in the heat of July and August, mainly because they were dehydrating, and they didn't even know it or wouldn't admit it. They seemed to want to brag about how little water they needed. Unbelievably stupid! No amount of pilates or hand sewn concoctions will solve this. Your arms will cramp up if you reach for your bottle 4 or 5 times an hour, or your hand sewn sleeve will result in your arms swinging into the bottle and driving you nuts. I've been there. That's why NO bag on the market today has solved this problem. My advice is get over any bladder hangups you might have and if you have trouble with leaking like I did, just slip the bladder into a side pocket and re route the hose on the outside of your bag. Drink up!

myakka_
03-13-2014, 22:50
PrimeTime, I agree with the importance of keeping up with hydration. But my diy sleeves rock. I have put miles behind with them. But that is just me.

But we agree that whatever you have to do, make it work and keep the fluids flowing.

lonehiker
03-13-2014, 22:52
I actually doubt that most that say that they have had bladders leak have actually hiked enough to have bladders leak.

Prime Time
03-13-2014, 23:02
I actually doubt that most that say that they have had bladders leak have actually hiked enough to have bladders leak.
So wrong! What happens is that after many hundreds of opening and closings of the bladder cap, the threads wear and the cap become loose. When the old bladder sits in a very tightly packed backpack, the slight movement of those items that contact the cap, even through its protective sleeve, eventually work it loose enough for it to leak. I wore out two bladders last year on my thru hike and this was the cause. I had to use duct tape to keep the cover closed until I could replace the bladder.

myakka_
03-13-2014, 23:21
My reasons are not due to failures, so much as preference. I grew up with canteens, and just like this better.

A/B
03-13-2014, 23:35
I too, can't reach the bottle. I usually travel with one bottle in a side pocket, and my primary bottle on one front strap. My ULA Catalyst comes set up for two bottles in front, like this. 26343The yellow, elastic shock cord has a cord lock like these26344, and is then tied off at the end. They work great with either a Gatorade bottle or standard water bottle, with the top cord cinched tight under the lip of the bottle, and the bottom cord to keep it in place.

I made a couple for my other backpack out of similar shock cord and lock. Simple, nothing to attach to the bottle; the elastic holds it. FYI, I got the shock cord and and cord locks from Zpacks.com.

rafe
03-14-2014, 00:07
I'm gonna weigh in with Prime Time, knocking wood as I do so. I keep thinking my Platy system is bound to fail, but it hasn't yet (800 miles & change.) I'm a nervous Nellie so I carry a soda bottle in a side pocket, as backup. It's really nice not to have to stop to take a sip.

Sheriff Cougar
03-14-2014, 01:09

Good point! Hahahaha.

squeezebox
03-14-2014, 05:21
I'm thinking about sewing up a snack pocket for my hip belt as well as a shoulder strap water bottle pocket.
Design advice ?

lonehiker
03-14-2014, 05:57
So wrong! What happens is that after many hundreds of opening and closings of the bladder cap, the threads wear and the cap become loose. When the old bladder sits in a very tightly packed backpack, the slight movement of those items that contact the cap, even through its protective sleeve, eventually work it loose enough for it to leak. I wore out two bladders last year on my thru hike and this was the cause. I had to use duct tape to keep the cover closed until I could replace the bladder.

Ah, I fill through the hose with my sawyer and rarely open the cap.

eghama
03-14-2014, 06:22
Did my thru last year with my Gregory Z55. Like you, I couldn't reach my bottle at first and thought I would dislocated my shoulder trying to get a drink. But it's amazing how much flexibility you gain while you walk the trail, all because you'll be using your muscles in ways you never do sitting at a desk all day, everyday. You'll soon be reaching back not just for your water bottles, but also reaching up over your shoulders to unzip the "brain" of your pack to grab stuff you stash there all while still wearing your pack on your back. Don't stress about it too much. Just get out there and enjoy.

StubbleJumper
03-14-2014, 06:46
I too prefer to use a water bottle rather than a hydration bladder, and I've backpacked enough miles to have worn out a couple of Nalgene bottles over the years, so I'm quite confident that I would also have worn out a couple of bladders if I had elected to use them.

Since I have short arms and have limited flexibility, I actually prefer a hip mounted holster for my water bottle a little bit like this one:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5030-716/outdoor-research-water-bottle-tote-1l/

It is a minor pain in the behind because you do need to adjust it a couple times per day when you are putting on you rucksack, but overall, I find it works well for me. I really wish that gear makers would offer the option of mounting a permanent hip holster.

Weather-man
03-14-2014, 07:12
I also use the elastic bungee set-up on my shoulder straps but looking at the Zpack shoulder pockets: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

Man, I'm becoming a Zpack fan boy.....

Edit: I misstated...on my ULA I use the bungee that comes with the pack. On my Arc I used Dynema....works better actually.

Chris10
03-14-2014, 10:11
Slbirdnerd,

i find that by taking along my son to hike with me, that he can easily retrieve, and return my water bottle to the otherwise unreachable pocket. He's not bad company either! :)

Drybones
03-14-2014, 10:47
Slbirdnerd,

i find that by taking along my son to hike with me, that he can easily retrieve, and return my water bottle to the otherwise unreachable pocket. He's not bad company either! :)

My kids are up and gone....bet I could train my dog to do that.

slbirdnerd
03-14-2014, 10:56
Slbirdnerd,

i find that by taking along my son to hike with me, that he can easily retrieve, and return my water bottle to the otherwise unreachable pocket. He's not bad company either! :) Haha, the first thing mine said was "Here, I can do it for you," but he's got some work to do before I take him on a multi day trip! :) Thanks, everyone, such great and suggestions! And certainly more proof that so much of backpacking is personal preference…

With everyone’s input, I am confident I can find a solution for this, probably one of the above.
I witnessed a bladder fail on my last hike with a group.
In this pack, the suspension bows out into the pack space; this is a trade-off, the pack is very comfortable and rides great. If you put a bladder in the bladder pocket it will be bent over the suspension, as well as taking up valuable gear space. I just don’t like them, especially for this pack.
Feral Bill hit it: no bottles banging into the boobs, thanks. ;)
I like the hip belt pocket idea, matter of fact, I’m migrating to this pack from a Deva which literally has a bottle holder where the side pocket should be.
I also still like my original idea and might try it anyway just to see how it works. I know I’d drink more water that way…

You all rock!

msumax1985
03-14-2014, 12:46
I also use the elastic bungee set-up on my shoulder straps but looking at the Zpack shoulder pockets: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

Man, I'm becoming a Zpack fan boy.....

I had the same issue when I switched packs. For some reason it was hard to reach my water bottle. I bought the ZPacks pouch referenced here by Weatherman and so far, so good. I was worried how I might not like having something hanging from my pack strap, but I never even notice it until I want some water. And then it is much easier to grab than even a side pocket. It will only hold the 0.5 liter bottle. But also has an external mesh pocket to put a few more small items in, like a energy bar, folded page of AWOL guide. It seemed like a ridiculous price for such a small and weightless item, but it is one of the better gear choices I've made. I highly recommend it.

Sly
03-14-2014, 14:35
What to I do about it? Don't drink as much :/

ULA's have shock cord bottle hoops on the shoulders straps (may be optional but cheap) that hold 20 oz gatorade bottles well.

lemon b
03-15-2014, 10:22
Have the same problem with an Altmos 65. I just stop. Take the pack off and drink up. A five ten minute break is never a bad thing not being in a race. I refuse to use the bladder worry about keeping them clean. Actually being more open minded with learning how to use a bladder system might be the solution for me at least.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2014, 10:35
Two possible solutions.......there are several companies that make holsters that fit easily on your hip built, permitting easy access to your water. I seem to remember that Outdoor Research was one of these companies. Also, you might want to consider switching to taller, thinner bottles. I had success in this by switching from stubby Gatorade and Powerade bottles and replaced them with "Smartwater" bottled water containers. They are long and very thin, which mean that many people will be able to remove them AND replace them without the nuisance of having to stop and take off your pack.

RCBear
03-15-2014, 10:54
The gregory deva (women's Baltoro version) has one of its side pockets canted which has solved that problem for me (I use the Baltoro). A 1ltr smart bottle is the perfect fit and it has a shock cord for if you need more cinch. What I thought would be gimmicky has actually turned out to be very practical.

The downside is these packs are heavier than the Z line. Extremely comfortable though.

nu2hike
03-15-2014, 11:36
I used the shoulder strap/water bottle holders on my last hike thru Ocala National Forest and liked them! I used 23 oz SmartWater bottles and had no problems with them getting in my way of my arm swing or bouncing off my boobs! I found it to be a quick and easy method to stay hydrated!
However I did find it awkward to balance my pack! I ended up carrying 3 water bottles two for myself and one for my dog! (I only used one bottle holder as I have a Zpacks shoulder pouch on the other). I had a shoulder reconstruction on my left shoulder years ago and just recently had surgery to remove a melanoma from my left clavicle which resulted in a 3 + inch scar! As a result of these surgeries my left shoulder is super sensitive to pressure. I've added additional padding to my left shoulder strap for comfort!
In the past I've used hydration bladders. I still believe this is the more convienient method, but as mentioned above the full bladder does encroach on inner pack space!
I plan to give the water bottle method another try on my next hike. Once I get the balancing act solved I believe this will be my goto method!

blisterbob
03-16-2014, 08:17
I too, can't reach the bottle. I usually travel with one bottle in a side pocket, and my primary bottle on one front strap. My ULA Catalyst comes set up for two bottles in front, like this. 26343The yellow, elastic shock cord has a cord lock like these26344, and is then tied off at the end. They work great with either a Gatorade bottle or standard water bottle, with the top cord cinched tight under the lip of the bottle, and the bottom cord to keep it in place.

I made a couple for my other backpack out of similar shock cord and lock. Simple, nothing to attach to the bottle; the elastic holds it. FYI, I got the shock cord and and cord locks from Zpacks.com.

That is about the same as I have found that works best for me.
I use 2 nylon ties, 1 around the bottle neck and another through it with a loop for a biner that clips to the shoulder strap and a rubber band around the bottle
and sternum strap to eliminate 'boobie bounce'.

dmax
03-16-2014, 11:24
I agree with other that said check out zpacks site. If you don't want to purchase their setup, you can make your own. ... Love my Arc Blast, I can reach my side pockets with no problem.

Nooga
03-16-2014, 11:29
Go to the ULA site and see how they use shock cords to attach Gatoraide-type water bottles to their pack straps. This is what I've been doing for years on the packs that I cannot easily reach the water bottle pockets on the sides. As FarmerChef mentioned, it helps to balance the pack a bit. :)

On my ULA Catalyst, I found that the shock cords work better on their website than in real life. In the rain or anytime I landed with a jar, the bottles would dislodge and there I go chasing them. I found that if only filled them about 3/4's they would stay better. Using the shock cords on the shoulder straps was my only option as I could not reach the side pockets with the pack on. I believe that they have redesigned the side pockets on the new packs and water bottles fit better and may be easier to reach.

shakey_snake
03-16-2014, 11:40
why isn't there a "vest" style pack that holds two 1L bladders on the front? It'd use about 1/4 of the tube as having a rear stored bladder and it would help redistribute pack weight forward.

Weather-man
03-16-2014, 12:35
On my ULA Catalyst, I found that the shock cords work better on their website than in real life. In the rain or anytime I landed with a jar, the bottles would dislodge and there I go chasing them. I found that if only filled them about 3/4's they would stay better. Using the shock cords on the shoulder straps was my only option as I could not reach the side pockets with the pack on. I believe that they have redesigned the side pockets on the new packs and water bottles fit better and may be easier to reach.

Same experience. On my ARC I used non stretch dynema cord with cord locks and it works perfect. I only carry one bottle on my shoulder strap, usually a 20 oz smart water bottle. My other water is in the side pockets, usually a Gator-aide bottle and maybe a Platy if needed.

tacodog
03-20-2014, 10:28
Hyperlite mountain gear make a holster setup
http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/accessories/porter-water-bottle-holder-20oz.html

slbirdnerd
03-20-2014, 13:15
Pretty happy with my MYOG solution. :) This will work for now, cost me 43 cents for the rubber gasket and the Camelbak tube is still intact for future use...

Hill Ape
03-20-2014, 13:54
this worked for me, i don't advise it. break your arm, then while its still in the cast, break it again, in the cast. (don't ask) the resulting curve, while slight to the eye allows me to reach freakishly around to the very back of my pack with little effort

slbirdnerd
03-20-2014, 14:19
this worked for me, i don't advise it. break your arm, then while its still in the cast, break it again, in the cast. (don't ask) the resulting curve, while slight to the eye allows me to reach freakishly around to the very back of my pack with little effort

Yikes!!! I think I'll stick with my goofy Gator-rig! :)

Blissful
03-20-2014, 14:20
I can't drink anyway while I am actually hiking. SO I don't see it that big and issue to take pack off to rest a bit, smell some roses,and rehydrate. Plan to do it also at water sources.

The Old Boot
03-20-2014, 15:18
Thanks for all the different suggestions. While I don't walk and drink at the same time...holding two hiking sticks and the water bottle AND watching where my feet are placed is more multi-tasking than I want to do, I do not want to have to take off my pack every time I want a drink.

The only suggestion I'm not going to even think about is the broken arm trick...nahhh!

Hill Ape
03-20-2014, 16:50
lol, front desk nurse was so cute, i was like 14... i'm talking about a full arm cast up to the shoulder... i stumbled into the office "i broke my arm" "i can see that" "no, i broke it again" "how?" "skate boarding" "you idiot"

Tramp
03-20-2014, 21:06
[QUOTE=slbirdnerd;1863183]Pretty happy with my MYOG solution. :) This will work for now, cost me 43 cents for the rubber gasket and the Camelbak tube is still intact for future use...
Just what did you do and how ? What did you use and where did you get it ? This is just what im looking for

slbirdnerd
03-21-2014, 08:19
Just what did you do and how ? What did you use and where did you get it ? This is just what im looking for

I used a 7/16 drill bit to drill a hole in the center of the top of the Gatorade lid. Put the lid on a piece of wood so you don't drill into your surface. I steadied the sides of it with my feet (shoes on!), you could make a jig if you're into that. Closer to the edge of the lid, drill a very small (1/16) hole to allow air in as you drink, or the bottle will collapse.

At the hardware store, buy a rubber 7/16 grommet. I found them in the little drawers of hardware, they were 43 cents a piece. The grommet goes into the 7/16 hole in the lid, just like the rubber stopper of a piggy bank.

If you have an existing Camelbak tube, use that. If not you should be able to get tubing at a hardware or pet shop (aquarium supplies). You may need a different size grommet depending on the size of the tubing, but you need something that a mouth piece will fit on. If you need a Camelbak mouth piece you can buy them at an outfitter; probably a hose too for that matter.

For the Camelbak hose, pull off whichever end will come out easily (mouth piece or bag connector). Put the end through the grommet and make sure the mouthpiece end will be to the top of the lid. My mouthpiece came out easily, the bag connector would not. The hose was a tight fit through the grommet and I used a little bit of Burt's Bees lip balm to help it along. I don't think you want a petroleum based product, I heard that can degrade rubber/plastic--I could be wrong. You could probably use a dab of vegetable oil too.

Slide the hose through until you have enough hanging into the container, but not so far that the end is mashed up against the bottom--leave a small gap so you can easily get water up the hose. I left the bag connector on that end mostly because it wouldn't come out, but no harm there.

You can route the hose up over your shoulder however it works for you. I'll probably use an elastic hair band (pony tail holder) to secure it somewhere (I use these for all kinds of stuff). If you carry two Gatorade bottles, just leave a regular lid on the second and swap out your lid/hose when one is empty. (I carry a 1L platy in the other pocket if I need to have that much water on board).

Here are a couple pics:
26479 26480

daddytwosticks
03-21-2014, 16:18
^^ Very nice! :)

Chris10
03-21-2014, 18:37
Slbirdnerd,

From scratch, how much do you figure It would cost to make the set-up? Looks great by the way!

Just Bill
03-21-2014, 18:59
Pretty happy with my MYOG solution. :) This will work for now, cost me 43 cents for the rubber gasket and the Camelbak tube is still intact for future use...

Excellent work young lady!

slbirdnerd
03-22-2014, 08:37
Slbirdnerd,

From scratch, how much do you figure It would cost to make the set-up? Looks great by the way!

Hi, Chris10! :) If you go with Camelbak replacement parts, just order the whole tube with mouthpiece/bite valve for $18. Aquarium tubing would be cheaper but you still need a bite valve at the drinking end, they are 6.00 at REI. I think if I hadn't had the Camelbak already, I probably still would have picked up the Camelbak tube because it will be pretty durable, resistant to nicks and crimps and such. So in the end, less than $20. (Of course, I had to add the 7/16 drill bit to my workbench, but that doesn't count--it was surely a household necessity...)

Tramp
03-31-2014, 13:03
Camelbak said the hose is 1/2 inch o.d. can that be right ? Sorry i dont own one yet.. you said you used a 7/16 inch gromet,, what size is the hole in the center ? What size is your hose ?

slbirdnerd
03-31-2014, 15:16
Hi, Tramp. My Camelbak hose is a blue one (Antidote I think), I think the diameter is pretty standard but no, no way they are a half inch. Maybe that is with the insulation--some come with that. I don't recommend it, in freezing weather your stuff will freeze up regardless. The drill bit I used is exactly 7/16. The grommet fit in fairly easily, and I did have to lube the tube a little (used natural lip balm/Burt's Bee's). I hope this helps! (Note, I don't backpack a lot in winter but if I do I'll use my good Nalgene bottle which will probably fit in the pocket easier, and I'd be more willing to stop to mess with it anyway.)