PDA

View Full Version : Will you still be hiking when you are 70?

Shutterbug
03-13-2014, 15:48
My wife and I hiked the Grand Canyon last week. One thing I noticed was that there weren't many hikers my age still on the trails.

I offer some advice to those of you who want to be hiking when you are my age:

1. Pay attention to your weight. One pound a year of weight gain doesn't seem much, but over the years it really ads up.

2. Take care of your knees. Most of my friends who are my age say they can't hike because of their knees.

3. Save for retirement. Too many of my friends finally have the time to hike, but can't afford to travel.

Enough wisdom for one day.

jbwood5
03-13-2014, 16:04
Yep, I really felt my knees in the Whites last year and they are not likely to get much better since the MRI showed a small meniscus tear. It seems to be loss of flexibility that is tough to handle.

I'm inspired by those who are 70 and over. A few years ago I met an 80 year old from Pittsburg, PA by the name of "Bones" (Earl) just beyond Mtn Crossing in GA. He started at Springer and was moving strongly. This guy didn't have a weight issue, and that's how he got his trail name.

daddytwosticks
03-13-2014, 16:08
Wow! You are my hero. I'm 55 and feel great. Hope I'm like you in 15 years. You two look very happy. :)

Coffee
03-13-2014, 16:08
I hope so. I'm 40 now and have never been more fit. Hoping to keep going by staying fit but there are no guarantees so planning lots of hiking over the next decade!

FarmerChef
03-13-2014, 16:11
I definitely hope so. I'm in the best shape of my entire life but the future isn't guaranteed to stay that way. Lord-willing, I'll be smokin' up the trails on foot, on bike, on a boat wherever traveling takes me. I've been doing my best to abide the maxim, "Live below your means." Hopefully that will afford me the chance to do all of these things before my body gives out.

Different Socks
03-13-2014, 16:15
Yep, as long as my hearing, sight and knees hold up, I'll be hiking til the day I die. I'm 50 now, and plan on a 16 month journey beginning in 2 years. Prepping for it now and one of the ways I am doing that is staying in shape.

88BlueGT
03-13-2014, 16:25
I sure hope so! I need to show this to my father... who is 57 and claims he is too old to hike with me :( He is the one who got me into hiking 10+ years ago but I have never been out with him. Kind of sucks.

tiptoe
03-13-2014, 16:26
I certainly hope so.

marti038
03-13-2014, 16:27
2. Take care of your knees. Most of my friends who are my age say they can't hike because of their knees.

Aside from sticking with step 1, any recomendations for how to complete step 2?

Shutterbug
03-13-2014, 16:51
Aside from sticking with step 1, any recomendations for how to complete step 2? Yes, get FitBit and walk at least 10,000 steps a day. It seem counterintuitive, be a lot of walking is good for knees.

From my observation the main problems with knees come from carrying too much weight, lack of regular exercise and injury.

10,000 steps (about 5 miles) is enough exercise.

Protecting one's knees from injury is a little more difficult. When I was younger, I thought that a hard fall or two a year was a normal part of hiking. As I have aged, I have tried harder to avoid those hard falls. I use two hiking poles, have reduced my pack weight, and am more careful in where I step. I have not had a hard fall in the past four years.

http://www.fitbit.com/store?gclid=CKa75dWwkL0CFUNhfgod5gUAPw

kofritz
03-13-2014, 16:53
Yeaaaaahhhh!! (like Lil' John the rapper)

adamkrz
03-13-2014, 16:56
I'm 54 and in better shape then my kids, But you 2 look like you found the fountain of youth..

Shutterbug
03-13-2014, 17:05
I sure hope so! I need to show this to my father... who is 57 and claims he is too old to hike with me :( He is the one who got me into hiking 10+ years ago but I have never been out with him. Kind of sucks.

Yes!! Encourage your father to hike with you. If he hasn't hiked recently, start him out slowly. Ask him to "take a walk."

My wife and I find that our daily walks are important times to talk and be together. We walk three to five miles a day. She didn't start hiking with me until we were both 62. Since then, we have hiked the Grand Canyon more than 20 times, climbed Pikes Peak, climbed Mt. Saint Helens, and hiked the Inca Trail together. I have not talked her into hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness with me yet -- maybe when we are 80.

futureatwalker
03-13-2014, 17:10
My wife and I hiked the Grand Canyon last week. One thing I noticed was that there weren't many hikers my age still on the trails.

First point: you guys look terrific. You are the epitome of successful aging.

I was at the Grand Canyon for a long weekend last fall. I don't recall seeing many older folk about once you hiked down into the canyon. Mind you, it's a pretty tough hike for anyone who is out of shape.

Drybones
03-13-2014, 17:11
People don't stop doing things because they get old, they get old because they stop doing things. Gotta tell this story. Last summer I was repairing some places on our driveway, only had shorts and flip flops on, the wife was at a friends house, the friends husband who I had never met drove by our house, when he got to his house he asked my wife what we were doing to the driveway, she told him I was repairing some places, he replied " no there's some young guy working on it"....this did create a problem...non of my caps and hats now fit.

rafe
03-13-2014, 17:14
61, still pulling 1 mph on just about any trail in the White Mountains or on the LT. A little faster on flat stuff. I wasn't any faster than that as a 25 year old. Hoping to retire in a couple more years and leave the cubicle world for good. I've already announced to my wife that one of my first goals after retiring will be to thru-hike the JMT. She has connections in CA so she's actually OK with that plan.

Thinking about relocating to some place cheaper and closer to the trail, maybe western MA. Would like to do some trail maintenance as a retiree.

PS, here in the Whites I see lots of seniors hiking, and even a few on the LT.

Grinder
03-13-2014, 17:18
I am 73 and I am still hiking. I'm doing PA in about a month. Now I'll go back and read the rest of the responses.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-13-2014, 17:27
Well, that depends. If the old adage "you're only as old as you feel" is true, then that would be next week. We'll be hiking in April, so YEAH.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2014, 17:35
I don't know, I think I'm getting a little worn out. Maybe I should move to Florida. These NH trails keep getting longer and steeper every year - at least it feels that way :)

Shutterbug
03-13-2014, 17:45
I don't know, I think I'm getting a little worn out. Maybe I should move to Florida. These NH trails keep getting longer and steeper every year - at least it feels that way :)

Don't move to Florida. Move to Arizona. Great hiking.

UofWHusky
03-13-2014, 17:53
That's the plan. Got too many hikes on my list to be able to finish all of them until well into my 70's. Gonna finish the AT this year then I can hike more here in Washington. Still have to get out with my wife on non-hiking trips as well. One benefit about being retired is not having to work Monday thru Friday to support my hiking habit. Already done that.

rafe
03-13-2014, 18:35
Hiking in the northwest is A++. Summer is short but the mountains are beautiful and the trails are not designed by masochists. ;)

myakka_
03-13-2014, 18:38
Hiking is a big part of my day job. I will retire either with 25 or 30 years depending on the economy. I will either be 57 or 63 at that point. Why would I stop at retiring from one of the best parts of my life?

myakka_
03-13-2014, 18:40
OOP 57 or 62..... (math, my old foe.............)

Odd Man Out
03-13-2014, 18:45
Thanks Shutterbug. I want to be like you when I grow up. I've been walking on the treadmill for 1.75 miles/30 minutes every night. Lost 13 lbs since Jan 1. My base pack weight is about the same as the weight I've lost (does that give me a base weight of zero?). I need to lose another 13 so the Dr's charts don't say "overweight". I worry about the knees. Good to know that walking is good for me. As for the money thing, I'll have plenty of money when I'm 70 (I work until I'm 80).

map man
03-13-2014, 19:03
When I turn 70 I plan to be the first person that old to do the 4370 mile yo-yo of the AT. I'll let you all know in 16 or 17 years how that goes:rolleyes:!

bobp
03-13-2014, 19:36
Backpacking beats ending up as Soylent Green. Of course, Mountain House Soylent Green and Chili Mac is the best... :-)

Shutterbug
03-13-2014, 21:22
That's the plan. Got too many hikes on my list to be able to finish all of them until well into my 70's. Gonna finish the AT this year then I can hike more here in Washington. Still have to get out with my wife on non-hiking trips as well. One benefit about being retired is not having to work Monday thru Friday to support my hiking habit. Already done that.

Be sure to put the Wonderland Trail on your list, but wait until next year. I am putting in my application for a permit day after tomorrow. That is when NPS starts accepting permit applications.

Del Q
03-13-2014, 21:30
That is what I have been working towards. 55 now, heading out next week for spring section hike.

On my bucket list is thru hiking the AT when I am 100...............I know, its a stretch but its on there. The good news, if I make, there should be no hurry, just shuffle along at will.

moytoy
03-13-2014, 22:03
Don't move to Florida. Move to Arizona. Great hiking.
I've lived in Apache Junction Az and liked it but I like Florida too. Lots of hiking anywhere you go if you just look for it. I agree with all you said about staying in good condition. I walk 5-6 miles almost every day but there is a lot to be said for the right genes too.

Prime Time
03-13-2014, 22:05
I'm doing fine at 60, but that's because I have never stopped hiking and staying active and fit. Keep your BMI in the proper range, do daily excersize and hard cardio 3 or more times a week. Knees and ankles stay strong through continued use. It's hard to restart them after many years of inactivity. Plain and simple fact. Keep on truckin' means don't stop.

The Solemates
03-13-2014, 22:40
i just hope to be walking on the shuffleboard court. much less hiking up and down mountains. life's been hard on my body and i'm in my 30s.

Drybones
03-13-2014, 22:51
I liked the answer given to a question someone posted a while back: "what's the average age of an AT thru hiker". Answer was; 40, half are 20 and half are 60...that was just about right, I was impressed with the number of older folks on the trail.

Shutterbug
03-13-2014, 23:24
... Keep your BMI in the proper range, do daily excersize and hard cardio 3 or more times a week. Knees and ankles stay strong through continued use. It's hard to restart them after many years of inactivity. Plain and simple fact. Keep on truckin' means don't stop.

I have not mentioned "hard cardio" in this thread, but you a right. I have been a hiker for years, but just started "hard cardio" about a year ago. It has made a dramatic difference. I do HIIT (high intensity interval training) three times a week. Here is a link:
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/05/11/benefits-of-super-slow-workouts.aspx

Feral Bill
03-13-2014, 23:30
I climbed out of my car after a two hour drive today feeling beat. My wife talked me into a moderate walk to the grocery and back. Problem solved. Walking works wonders.

handlebar
03-13-2014, 23:40
Since 70 is only 14 months away for me, I'd say, "Yes, I'll be hiking when I'm 70!" In fact I'm planning annual backpacking trips totaling about 1000 miles for the indefinite future. Use it, or lose it, as they say. I hope to be able to show my grandsons the splendor of the PCT when I'm 80.

Dogwood
03-14-2014, 03:32
Your box is full so I'll post this here for you Moytoy. I saw where you said you lived in Apache Junction. How long ago? I'm trying to get to the First Water TH off Forest Rd 78 from Sky Harbor AP. I was going to take the light rail to the Sycamore/Main St station and transfer to the MLNK Bus #40(Apache blvd/Main St) getting off near the Superstition Spgs bus station and walking or hitching the rest of the way to the USPO in Apache Junction to pick up gear I mailed ahead. I'm not in a hurry getting to AJ. I'm going to be getting into Phoenix that first night on a late afternoon flight after the PO is closed so I want to stealth camp somewhere near the PO until the next morn when the PO is open. Any recommendations on walking or hitching on Apache Blvd or Main St or where to crash safely stealthing near the PO?

Dogwood
03-14-2014, 03:33
You folks are inspiring. Great attitude!

moytoy
03-14-2014, 04:06
Your box is full so I'll post this here for you Moytoy. I saw where you said you lived in Apache Junction. How long ago? I'm trying to get to the First Water TH off Forest Rd 78 from Sky Harbor AP. I was going to take the light rail to the Sycamore/Main St station and transfer to the MLNK Bus #40(Apache blvd/Main St) getting off near the Superstition Spgs bus station and walking or hitching the rest of the way to the USPO in Apache Junction to pick up gear I mailed ahead. I'm not in a hurry getting to AJ. I'm going to be getting into Phoenix that first night on a late afternoon flight after the PO is closed so I want to stealth camp somewhere near the PO until the next morn when the PO is open. Any recommendations on walking or hitching on Apache Blvd or Main St or where to crash safely stealthing near the PO?
I'll clear my inbox :0) I don't get many PM's and didn't realize it is full. I lived in A J from 1970 thru 1972. I wish I could help you with the water question but can't be of much help. I did quite a bit of hiking in the Superstition area while there and remember that the maps I was using were not always accurate about the water availability. I quite vividly remember scraping around in a sandy water hole trying to find a bit of moisture.

4eyedbuzzard
03-14-2014, 04:39
61, still pulling 1 mph on just about any trail in the White Mountains or on the LT. A little faster on flat stuff. I wasn't any faster than that as a 25 year old. Hoping to retire in a couple more years and leave the cubicle world for good. I've already announced to my wife that one of my first goals after retiring will be to thru-hike the JMT. She has connections in CA so she's actually OK with that plan.

Thinking about relocating to some place cheaper and closer to the trail, maybe western MA. Would like to do some trail maintenance as a retiree.

PS, here in the Whites I see lots of seniors hiking, and even a few on the LT.I am so glad to see someone else who only averages 1 mph in the Whites (and I can absolutely rip through VT at 1.5) :) Reading here on WB it seems everybody hikes at least 2 mph, and more often than not 3 mph, up and down our little rolling white hills. :rolleyes:

Old Hillwalker
03-14-2014, 07:38
Born in 1939, and still hiking. I grew up in the mountains of New Hampshire and wandering these mountains was my childhood's sole form of recreation. My first solo overnight was in 1954 at the age of fourteen. My father taught me early on that if I became benighted to just put my back against a tree and wait for morning. Over the past few years I have backpacked the Cape Wrath route and West Highland Way 2X in Scotland, Long Range Traverse in Newfoundland, El Camino de Santiago, and lots of miles here in Maine. Currently I have my airplane tickets to begin a 44 day solo traverse of the Spanish Pyrenees (GR11) in August and September. On an age related note, I nowadays carry a notarized letter specifying that should I die on the trip that my remains be cremated and sent home to my daughter. I wanted to be scattered on the trail where I expired but she wants to do that herself. Still hiking at 74 with no end in sight but the horizon is getting closer. I remember once jokingly telling Matthewski that I hike with a filled out toe tag and body bag in my pack. Maybe not a bad idea! he he he

kayak karl
03-14-2014, 07:43
probably not, but i will be kayaking :)

rafe
03-14-2014, 07:44
I am so glad to see someone else who only averages 1 mph in the Whites (and I can absolutely rip through VT at 1.5) :) Reading here on WB it seems everybody hikes at least 2 mph, and more often than not 3 mph, up and down our little rolling white hills. :rolleyes:

1 mph is with a full pack and typical White Mtn. verticals, ie., several hundred feet of elevation gain/loss. Now that I've worked my way up to Mt. Mansfield, I'd say the LT is every bit as gnarly as the Whites. The AT part of the LT is much more mellow, I can do 1.5 mph there.

Pedaling Fool
03-14-2014, 07:58
Yes, get FitBit and walk at least 10,000 steps a day. It seem counterintuitive, be a lot of walking is good for knees.

It seems even more counterintuitive that running is good for the knees, but there is research that it is; however, I will agree that too much is counterintuitive, but too much is a lot -- a hell of a lot, but of course that (too much) is also a relative term.

Good article: http://www.dailystrength.org/health_blogs/teamds/article/runners-knees-cause-for-concern-mens-health-thursdays

Excerpt:

"Take for example the concern about bone spurs. Osteophytes is the fancy name for bone spurs, which, in the Mayo Clinic description, are "bony projections that develop along the edges of bones." Studies of Marathon runners and practitioners of other sports like soccer that require a lot of running, show an increase in bone spurs, according to an article in the New York Times. Bone spurs are associated in many instances with the development of arthritis and a decrease in knee cartilage. However, a meta-analysis of studies about runner's knees showed that although there was an increase in bone spurs in the knees of vigorous runners, there was also "a greater cartilage volume than sedentary people."

Nice thing about running is that you don't have to spend nearly the "maintenance" time keeping your body healthy; it leaves more time for that other very important thing -- weightlifting. I believe weightlifting has a negative connotation, probably because of the mental image people see when they hear the word, images such as, vain bodybuilders and other gym rats mindlessly "pumping iron"...

However, it is crucial to maintaining (in addition to the muscular system) the skeletal system, connective tissues and joints. Something many of the young don't see a need for, but the negative effects of this is seen sort of in an all-of-a-sudden time frame when we get up in age.

It's kind of like a child where growth happens quickly (going up hill) and then levels off and we are on sort of a plateau and then at a certain age we start going down hill and it happens quickly.

Another good article: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weightlifting/Masters.html

Excerpt:

Effects of Aging

Strength and muscular power are important in maintaining functional abilities allow us to perform activities of daily living such as carrying groceries, getting out of a chair, taking out the trash, climbing stairs, etc.

Age related strength losses very between sexes and muscle group. Studies demonstrate muscular strength decreases by approximately 15% per decade in the sixth and seventh decade, and 30% thereafter.

The loss of strength and muscular power is larger brought about by both a loss of smaller motor units and a loss of muscle mass. A significant loss of muscle mass and strength occurs in the sixth decade of life, with perhaps a more dramatic decrease in women. This can be particularly problematic for women because they have less muscle mass.

The loss of muscle mass can be a result of shrinking muscle fibers (atrophy), loss of muscle fiber (sacropenia), or both (Frontera et al 1988). This loss of muscle fibers results in fewer type II muscle fibers, which would negatively affect muscular power.

A loss of functional ability begins earlier, by the age of 40, with the muscle's loss of maximal voluntary and speed of contraction (Paasuke et al. 2000). The ability to produce a force rapidly can decrease more than decrements in strength, particularly at older ages.

fiddlehead
03-14-2014, 08:15
I sure hope so.
My boy will be 15 so, another thru hike is probably not in the cards until he's in university a few years later.
I don't expect problems walking, maybe getting out of the tent in the morning though.
Still going strong so far, playing tennis 3-4 days a week and haven't switched to doubles yet.
Hiked on my Phuket high trail last week when my buddy "Wall" was here for a visit.

garlic08
03-14-2014, 09:59
Let's not forget about cycling, either. I see more older (80+) cyclists than hikers, and they all say "never stop doing it--it's very hard to get 'it' back."

Great tips about aging and doing it well, Shutterbug. Thanks for the reminder. Also, on a recent hike through a cemetery, I noticed a lot of people born in my decade are dead now. I doubt they were hikers.

10-K
03-14-2014, 10:10
3. Save for retirement. Too many of my friends finally have the time to hike, but can't afford to travel.

Great post!

#3 doesn't get much press but is way up there... Failure to plan is planning to fail when it comes to retirement. Staying out of debt and planning for retirement has paid off handsomely for me.

Hot Flash
03-14-2014, 10:15

1. Pay attention to your weight. One pound a year of weight gain doesn't seem much, but over the years it really ads up.

All good advice, and yes I plan to hike until I drop dead. Fortunately my joints including my knees are in fantastic shape, and I have no back problems or any other health issues. I only weigh five pounds more than when I graduated high school, so I am pretty confident in saying that I'll be out there at your age. Last summer I out-hiked my 29-yr-old son in the Sierras, so I have no complaints.

I have started moving towards more UL gear though. Maybe I've become lazy in my old age. Maybe I've just gotten smarter. :D

lemon b
03-14-2014, 10:17
Having positioned myself 4 miles from the trailhead. I expect to be out there if I can beat the cigs, which has been an on off problem. Lightweight equipment and adding a hiking pole has helped the knees. Like everyone age brings adjustments. I think an AT thru might be out of the cards but a couple more Yoyo's of the Long Trail would be nice. No debt, but stuck with part time work and having done some saving should help. No reason my equipment won't hold out , cause I have a room full.

rafe
03-14-2014, 10:18
Let's not forget about cycling, either. I see more older (80+) cyclists than hikers, and they all say "never stop doing it--it's very hard to get 'it' back."

Great tips about aging and doing it well, Shutterbug. Thanks for the reminder. Also, on a recent hike through a cemetery, I noticed a lot of people born in my decade are dead now. I doubt they were hikers.

Cycling is a big deal for me when the weather allows, since the hills 'round here aren't much. If you're ambitious, you can combine bicycling with AT section hikes. I sectioned my way through big chunks of New England doing bike-hikes.

Prime Time
03-14-2014, 10:41
Ah yes, and there's cycling. It's a great cross training activity because it works all of your leg muscles and your core (balancing a bike is all core. It's what makes actual cycling so much better than a stationary unit). It also has little if any impact stress which is important in strengthening knees without damaging them. I used to bike to help me hike, now I hike to help me bike! It has gone from being a training activity to a true passion and here in Northern New Hampshire if you think the trails are challenging, try cycling up and down a few of the notches!

Drybones
03-14-2014, 10:41
Having positioned myself 4 miles from the trailhead. I expect to be out there if I can beat the cigs, which has been an on off problem. Lightweight equipment and adding a hiking pole has helped the knees. Like everyone age brings adjustments. I think an AT thru might be out of the cards but a couple more Yoyo's of the Long Trail would be nice. No debt, but stuck with part time work and having done some saving should help. No reason my equipment won't hold out , cause I have a room full.

I'm retired but taking a part time job that will earn me $10K-$12K per year, will have it put in a special account called the "Drybones hike/float fund". Good thing about the job is I get laid off one month each year, work 3 days one week, four the next and have two very long week ends each month for short hikes. If I don't have enough time off to spend what I make with this part time job I've got the wrong job.

Drybones
03-14-2014, 10:45
probably not, but i will be kayaking :)

I plan to be doing both. I'd like to get another sea kayak and try that Florida circumnavigational trail, I hear you don't need hiking poles for it.

Prime Time
03-14-2014, 10:45
Oh, and have we mentioned cross country skiing? There are more 70 and 80 something cross country skiiers than maybe any other vigorous outdoor activity. It's a full body workout and serious cardio to boot. It's also tremendously peaceful and beautiful and the closest thing to a Zen experience you can get while getting a serious workout.

tiptoe
03-14-2014, 10:46
Regarding hiking pace, on average ups and downs I generally do three miles in two hours, unless a lightning storm is approaching and I'm on a ridge, in which case I manage two mph. I long ago stopped comparing my pace to what other folks do. The important thing for me is moving forward.

colorado_rob
03-14-2014, 10:59
Oh, and have we mentioned cross country skiing? There are more 70 and 80 something cross country skiiers than maybe any other vigorous outdoor activity. It's a full body workout and serious cardio to boot. It's also tremendously peaceful and beautiful and the closest thing to a Zen experience you can get while getting a serious workout. Yep, here in CO too, though 70+ downhill skiers are extremely common, in fact it used to be free to downhill ski at 70+ in many areas. Zillions of 70+ bikers too, and of course hikers in Colorado.

I think it's all about lifestyle; live in a place that encourages a healthy outdoor lifestyle, like CO of course, where the weather is terrific year-round and there is soooooo much to do. Having this year-round fun keeps the weight off nicely.

Sadly, my running days are over at only 57. I can hike a thousand miles (last spring on the AT) with minimal pain anywhere (just a bit of ankle soreness), but if I run a mere 3-4 miles, I'm sore for a week. I just plain ran way too much from age 10-55 (I was a competitive runner for about 3 decades). But for some very-happy reason, hiking doesn't bother the knees/ankle/feet at all yet.

Almost There
03-14-2014, 12:07
Plan on it, and agree with the "use it or lose it" mentality. Watched my grandparents fall apart when they stopped being mobile. Two lived to 86, and one is still kicking at 89, so I expect I'll be around at 70. Quit smoking year and a half ago, lost 30lbs, want to lose another 20lbs at least. I want to lean out my body, don't need bulky muscle anymore...switching to cardio and yoga for exercise. Studies show those who regularly practice yoga have an average physical age 9 years less than their chronological...two open hernia repairs have forced me to abandon my past weight routines, and so I hope yoga is the answer for my core.

Coffee
03-14-2014, 12:10
Staying active and fit is a good idea but there aren't any guarantees as we could see by the thread on the hiker death recently - a man in his 70s who ran multiple marathons. My attitude is that I'm not going to wait any longer to do long hikes even though I'm only 40 now since I don't want to be looking back in 20 or 30 years wishing I had done so.

Odd Man Out
03-14-2014, 12:25
Nice thing about running is that you don't have to spend nearly the "maintenance" time keeping your body healthy; it leaves more time for that other very important thing -- weightlifting. I believe weightlifting has a negative connotation, probably because of the mental image people see when they hear the word, images such as, vain bodybuilders and other gym rats mindlessly "pumping iron"...

Good point. I saw some exercise physiology research articles that found the benefits of weight training were the greatest among the senior citizens (probably because they had the most room for improvement). This isn't about body building. It is about core strength. I have on a few occasions tried weight lifting but I just can't seem to stick with it - probably because it requires a trip to the gym. Walking I can do at home or around the block. Maybe I should get some weights to use at home.

And your point about running is true, except that I hate running. I just like to walk so I will stick to that.

Hikes in Rain
03-14-2014, 12:34
I'd better be hiking. My dad will be laughing at me if I don't, especially since he's still hiking at 87. Just got back from going down to Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon with my brother and his son. The only medication he takes is a prescription strength antihistamine, and his only surgery has been to remove a polyp in his nose a couple of decades ago.

He'll probably still be here, and he will laugh. :eek:

Kerosene
03-14-2014, 13:42
I was a competitive soccer player until the age of 47, and then played a lot of recreational soccer until knee osteoarthritis kicked in at 52. The good part of that is that I'm in great shape for my age (almost 57), but the bad part is that my knees are a weak link (it was my ankles throughout my entire soccer career).

I certainly don't want to stop hiking, but I'm pretty reliant on a pre-hike corticosteroid shot and that only moderates inflammation over an entire week of pounding. I've been doing a lot more biking and weightlifting since then. I've found that barbell squats seem to do a lot to strengthen the smaller knee stabilization muscles (my large leg muscles are incredibly over-developed for my stature).

I recall playing in a competitive soccer league as a 26-year old wing midfielder, next to a skilled 40-year old midfielder who seemed ancient. I vowed that I would keep playing at that level or better until at least then. My skills kept getting better, but my speed started to disappear in my 30's. As a 56-year old backpacker I can easily see myself backpacking into my 80's, but you have to stay fit and keep away from serious injuries to be able to get there.

Shutterbug
03-14-2014, 14:13
I'd better be hiking. My dad will be laughing at me if I don't, especially since he's still hiking at 87. Just got back from going down to Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon with my brother and his son. The only medication he takes is a prescription strength antihistamine, and his only surgery has been to remove a polyp in his nose a couple of decades ago.

He'll probably still be here, and he will laugh. :eek:

Last year, I met a 90 year old hiker in the Grand Canyon, but an 87 year old has to be close to the record. I did observe that the 90 year old didn't have much in his pack and he was not hiking very fast. You clearly have good genes.

Bagge Pants
03-14-2014, 14:30
Born in 1939, and still hiking. I grew up in the mountains of New Hampshire and wandering these mountains was my childhood's sole form of recreation. My first solo overnight was in 1954 at the age of fourteen. My father taught me early on that if I became benighted to just put my back against a tree and wait for morning. Over the past few years I have backpacked the Cape Wrath route and West Highland Way 2X in Scotland, Long Range Traverse in Newfoundland, El Camino de Santiago, and lots of miles here in Maine. Currently I have my airplane tickets to begin a 44 day solo traverse of the Spanish Pyrenees (GR11) in August and September. On an age related note, I nowadays carry a notarized letter specifying that should I die on the trip that my remains be cremated and sent home to my daughter. I wanted to be scattered on the trail where I expired but she wants to do that herself. Still hiking at 74 with no end in sight but the horizon is getting closer. I remember once jokingly telling Matthewski that I hike with a filled out toe tag and body bag in my pack. Maybe not a bad idea! he he he

you sound like my Dad, he's your age and still goes for at least 10k walk a day in the countryside or snowshoes in the winter.

Dogwood
03-14-2014, 23:48
Into his 70's Jack LaLanne was still doing push ups with is wife Elaine standing on his back. Look what he did at the age of 70.
http://www.jacklalanne.com/jacks-adventures/feats-and-honors.php

Check out Hulda Crooks who summitted Mt Fuji AND MT Whitney at 91 yrs old. Shes' credited with two dozen summits of vMt Whitney between the ages of 66 and 91.
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/25/world/american-woman-91-conquers-mt-fuji.html
http://articles.latimes.com/1997/nov/26/news/mn-57923

Check this octogenarion(80 yr old) summitting Mt Everest. http://climbing.about.com/b/2013/06/08/80-year-old-japanese-climber-is-oldest-to-climb-mount-everest.htm

How about the 10+ 70 yr olds who have thru-hiked the AT.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/14/7-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-appalachian-trail/slide/the-oldest-person-to-complete-it-was-81/

lemon b
03-15-2014, 10:08
Kerosene,

That soccer can be brutal on the knees. I have one friend who had to see a psychiatrist he was such a denial about his doctor telling him he couldn't play anymore. Now he runs a camp. He was a goalie in Italty in a pro league. Both knees have a surgury. Another who played until he was on the field and could not move. He became a college coach in D3 womans. His knee is gone. But they are both still able to take their players on short uphill hikes as part of pre season. So guess thats one sport even more difficult on the knees than hiking because sometimes ya got to speed up when the body is saying slow down.
Be careful my friend but at least we can choose where we hike. Like the stretch here in Ma isn't bad except for the North side of Greylock slow is manageable.
The knee is a complex part of the body.

1azarus
03-15-2014, 19:04
I thought the secret was just to carry a camera! Anyway, I sure hope I'll be hiking then and beyond. For me it is an addiction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

atj_Hiker
03-15-2014, 23:02
I took my 76 yr old dad on a brutal hike on Pine Mountain trail in Eastern Kentucky last year. Other than needing to refuel in the early afternoon, he conquered the uphill climb in one day. One of the locals told me it would be too much for him before we started.
My philosophy of exercise was to always keep moving, lots of cardio and not an excessive amount of high impact type exercises. I plan to hike as long as the body will let me keep moving.

Shutterbug
03-16-2014, 00:22
I thought the secret was just to carry a camera!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only if your trailname is "Shutterbug."

Old Hillwalker
03-16-2014, 06:44
You're only as old as you feel. I certainly would like to feel an 18 years old again. Whoops, how did that "an" slip in there?

blisterbob
03-16-2014, 07:36
For my 70th. Birthday I strapped on a 38 lb. pack and hiked 4 days/75 miles on the Pinhoti trail.
I didn't start backpacking until I was 64 so I don't know how much I could have done in my youth,
but it was a confidence builder to be able to do 21 miles in one day.
In the last year I have noticed some loss of ability and a few more minor problems, but most days
I still walk 3 miles of trails on our place.

Drybones
03-16-2014, 09:06
You're only as old as you feel. I certainly would like to feel an 18 years old again. Whoops, how did that "an" slip in there?

Age is a case of mind over matter......if you don't mind...it don't matter.

Shutterbug
03-16-2014, 11:08
For my 70th. Birthday I strapped on a 38 lb. pack and hiked 4 days/75 miles on the Pinhoti trail.
I didn't start backpacking until I was 64 so I don't know how much I could have done in my youth,
but it was a confidence builder to be able to do 21 miles in one day.
In the last year I have noticed some loss of ability and a few more minor problems, but most days
I still walk 3 miles of trails on our place.

Good for you! For our 70th Birthdays, my wife and I hiked rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon. It is a confidence builder.

Another Kevin
03-16-2014, 22:34

I didn't quite take your advice in my youth. (1) I didn't. But now that I got back into hiking, the weight control has been easy. I've lost 40 lbs over the last couple-three years. (2) One of my knees was trashed before I was 20, in a hiking accident. Can't help that one. (3) Yes. I'm hoping that I'll be "comfortably established" once my daughter is out of university and working. I had substantially more retirement savings than I have now, but Madoff Made off with it.

It's definitely been hard to try to get into trail shape, coming from being a sofa spud in my late 50s. I'm still not where I'd like to be, and probably never will. But I'll keep plugging on. As 1azarus said, it's addictive. (I'll never be a speed demon like him or Malto!)

I am so glad to see someone else who only averages 1 mph in the Whites (and I can absolutely rip through VT at 1.5) :) Reading here on WB it seems everybody hikes at least 2 mph, and more often than not 3 mph, up and down our little rolling white hills. :rolleyes:

Not me! My personal Naismith Rule is '30 minutes to the mile, add 40 minutes per thousand feet of elevation change - up or down.' Add a fudge factor for difficult terrain (hard scrambles, bushwhacks in heavy brush, difficult stream crossings, etc.) That means that on typical trailson terrain like the Mahoosucs, the Whites, the northern Greens, the Adirondacks or the Catskills (the places where the Northeast 4000-footers lurk) I'll average 1 mph or less.

The one who should be an inspiration to us all is Willem Lange (http://willemlange.com/willemlange.html). If I can do a tenth of what he does at 79 I'll be doing well. His TV program (http://video.nhptv.org/program/windows-wild/) is to be recommended to hikers.

Pedaling Fool
03-17-2014, 08:20
Older adults: Build muscle and you'll live longer

Date: 03/13/2014

New UCLA research suggests that the more muscle mass older Americans have, the less likely they are to die prematurely. The findings add to the growing evidence that overall body composition — and not the widely used body mass index, or BMI — is a better predictor of all-cause mortality....

Read more here: http://www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=561&action=detail&ref=2401

MamaBear
03-17-2014, 09:35
To answer the title question, absolutely yes, if the Lord is willing, my body holds up, and the creek don't rise!!!

Almost There
03-17-2014, 11:05

New UCLA research suggests that the more muscle mass older Americans have, the less likely they are to die prematurely. The findings add to the growing evidence that overall body composition — and not the widely used body mass index, or BMI — is a better predictor of all-cause mortality....

Read more here: http://www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=561&action=detail&ref=2401

Gotta say, Duh!;) I weigh in at about 250. I've lost thirty pounds, and want to lose another twenty, but my lean body mass has been measured at 202 pounds, meaning my weight without fat. I'm six feet tall, but according to BMI tables 202 would be overweight, even though I would also be dead. (Played college football, and wrestled for over 20 years) For the majority the tables work, but should only be used as a general guideline...if you have a doctor that uses them as the gospel truth....get a new doctor. My Doc says if I can get down to 230 that it would put me at about 10-12% body fat, and he would be thrilled...so would I, but at 250 I'm under 20% so I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Shutterbug
03-17-2014, 12:35

I don't claim to be a health scientist and I don't dispute this study, but I still think there is a correlation between body weight and knee problems. Most of the older adults I see on the trails tend to be on the skinny side. I don't think one's knees can tell the difference between muscle and fat. More weight in the body, means more stress on the knees.

Coffee
03-17-2014, 12:40
Assuming a balanced distribution of muscle in the legs, wouldn't the tendons and support structure for the knees benefit from the additional muscle mass even accounting for extra weight?

Colter
03-18-2014, 05:08
Smart choices will definitely up my odds, but there are numerous factors out of my control: including genetic factors and chance.

Other
03-18-2014, 05:40
What else would I do, play shuffle board and complain about the government.

Drybones
03-18-2014, 08:11
What else would I do, play shuffle board and complain about the government.

I multi-task....hike and complain about the gov't.....at the same time.

Drybones
03-18-2014, 08:17
I don't claim to be a health scientist and I don't dispute this study, but I still think there is a correlation between body weight and knee problems. Most of the older adults I see on the trails tend to be on the skinny side. I don't think one's knees can tell the difference between muscle and fat. More weight in the body, means more stress on the knees.

IMO, muscles strength, and that doesn't neccessarily mean mass, around the knees will greatly help with knee issues, it'll keep body parts from moving to places they aren't designed to go. I have two knees with torn meniscus and do exercises for the muscles in that area, not just strength exercises but also cardio that uses those muscles, IMO that's more important.

Zippy Morocco
03-18-2014, 10:16
Thanks for the advice. I hope to be hiking when I am your age. I am glad that you are able. I'm half way there.

Rolls Kanardly
03-18-2014, 11:43
I'm trying to get to the First Water TH off Forest Rd 78 from Sky Harbor AP. I was going to take the light rail to the Sycamore/Main St station and transfer to the MLNK Bus #40(Apache blvd/Main St) getting off near the Superstition Spgs bus station and walking or hitching the rest of the way to the USPO in Apache Junction to pick up gear I mailed ahead. I'm not in a hurry getting to AJ. I'm going to be getting into Phoenix that first night on a late afternoon flight after the PO is closed so I want to stealth camp somewhere near the PO until the next morn when the PO is open. Any recommendations on walking or hitching on Apache Blvd or Main St or where to crash safely stealthing near the PO?
Let me know in a PM when you land and I will pick you up at the Sycamore Station. Rolls

Nooga
03-18-2014, 15:19
I expect to be backpacking when I'm 70. Only one way to know for sure….

Damn Yankee
03-18-2014, 15:41
I hope I'm still able to hike at that age. I am way out of shape and as Deer Hunter can attest to, I have a big belly and a bad back plus I still smoke which I need to quit because of complications to my lungs so, with any luck I will quit smoking, lose weight this spring and fall and really work on my flexibility. That way when I'm 70 if I last that long, I will still be hiking.

Shutterbug
03-18-2014, 19:58
I hope I'm still able to hike at that age. I am way out of shape and as Deer Hunter can attest to, I have a big belly and a bad back plus I still smoke which I need to quit because of complications to my lungs so, with any luck I will quit smoking, lose weight this spring and fall and really work on my flexibility. That way when I'm 70 if I last that long, I will still be hiking.

I like your plan. Stop smoking now.

This is the plan my cardiologist prescribed to get rid of the big belly --

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/05/11/benefits-of-super-slow-workouts.aspx (http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/05/11/benefits-of-super-slow-workouts.aspx)

bamboo bob
03-18-2014, 20:56
I think I'll make it. Not too many years to go.

10000 steps is right on. I have an APP for it. Its actually tough for me to do in winter but my daily goal is 10000 and I agree it seems to be enough exercise and helps keep the weight off. My legs are always ready to hike.

moytoy
03-18-2014, 21:19
I'm with you BBbob, I'm pretty sure I'll still be hiking I've only got 3 yrs and 2 months to go. The question I have for myself is whether or not I can do a thru of the AT. I will not know until I try.

Damn Yankee
03-18-2014, 22:14
KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
SUPPORT LNT
Does this mean you are an Amateur Radio Operator? Because I am. Just wonering

moytoy
03-18-2014, 22:26
SUPPORT LNT
yep...I'll be retiring in about 3 years and all I'm going to do is Ham radio and hike. and sometimes both at the same time. :0)

moytoy
03-18-2014, 22:38
SUPPORT LNT
I just passed my general last week. I'll be taking the extra exam next month. What's your call sign?

Other
03-19-2014, 03:56
I agree with Drybones, work to strengthen the knees, as muscles fatigue I used to have pain going down hill. for my second thru I prepared better by using weight training steadily over time. result my knees were relatively pain free during the entire hike. I have kept that up and my knees are stronger now then when I was younger. Ditto on the cardio.

Rolls Kanardly
03-19-2014, 15:01
I'm trying to get to the First Water TH off Forest Rd 78 from Sky Harbor AP.

I have done some research for your hike on the First Water Trail. If you take the trolley and bus to Superstitions Mall you will have to walk about 15 miles to Apache Junction. No bus. Then the three Post Offices are about 3 miles apart. You will have to stealth camp (this may be a problem, there are a lot of homeless people in the area) , wait for post office to open, then another 3.5 miles to where the fire road starts and then 3 miles to trail head. The First Water Trail is a 7.2 mile loop but is connected to others. The heat is coming on early this year so water could be a problem. Rolls

http://arizonahikingtrails.com/hikingpages/firstwater.html
Directions to Trailhead:
From Apache Junction, go NE on SR 88 approx 5.3 miles to FR 78 (just past Lost Dutchman State Park). Turn right and continue 2.6 miles to the end of the road. Lots of parking, but it can be crowded on weekends in the spring. A Tonto Pass (http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/tp/index.shtml) is required to park at the trailhead. Trailhead is accessible in a car.
Trail Description:
From the first water trailhead, hike southeast on the Dutchman Trail #104. This well worn trail is very popular and you are likely to encounter other hikers here. Approximately .2 miles form the trailhead, you will reach the signed junction with the Second Water Trail #236. Take the right fork and remain on the Dutchman Trail.

The Dutchman Trail follows First Water Creek and crosses it many times. At the last crossing (the Sixth from the trailhead), the Dutchman trail turns hard right, parallels the creek for about 200 yards and then turns left away form the creek. This left hand turn is where you leave the trail and start walking up or along First Water Creek.

Travel upstream either by boulder hopping in the creek or walking along the banks. I found boulder hopping to be easier because of the dense vegetation on both sides of the creek. Occasionally, I would leave the creek when I encountered large pools or boulders. After about a mile, the creek turns south an the canyon narrows. The creek climbs more dramatically now and there are several large pools and some falls. According to Jack Carlson's Hikers Guide to the Superstition Wilderness, there is usually water here even in the driest months.

Continuing the climb to the south, the canyon widens and opens up at a meadowy area on the north side of Superstition Mountain. You can see The Flatiron to the west. Stay on the east side of First Water Canyon as you approach the meadow. The creek forks and the West fork will take you the wrong direction. Once you have entered the plain, head east about .5 miles and climb a small rise. Once past the rise, you will see O'Grady Canyon.

Make your way North down to the O'Grady Canyon bottom. There is a faint trail marked with Cairns, but it was so overgrown, I only used it at the end. In general I followed the creek bottom. I picked up the trail where ever I could, but mostly stayed in the creek until I reached the area after the junction to Tim's Saddle. AT this point the trail be came better defined and I was able to follow it as it climbed northeast away form the creek toward a small saddle near Parker Pass. The trail is very rocky in this area.

After obtaining the summit, the trail descends for .4 miles to the Dutchman Trail. Turn left here and follow the trail 1.1 miles back to where you left it to begin the climb up First water Creek. From here it is an easy 1.4 miles back to the First Water Trailhead.

Gonecampn
03-22-2014, 12:10
I surely hope that I'm still hiking when I'm 70 ..... And when I'm 80, 90 etc. ;) I've noticed more and more "older" couples on the trails and I love it! It makes me smile. One of my favorite quotes "You don't stop hiking because your grow old, you grow old because you stop hiking"!

Sent from somewhere in the woods ......

Pedaling Fool
03-22-2014, 14:14
IMO, muscles strength, and that doesn't neccessarily mean mass, around the knees will greatly help with knee issues, it'll keep body parts from moving to places they aren't designed to go. I have two knees with torn meniscus and do exercises for the muscles in that area, not just strength exercises but also cardio that uses those muscles, IMO that's more important.

I agree with Drybones, work to strengthen the knees, as muscles fatigue I used to have pain going down hill. for my second thru I prepared better by using weight training steadily over time. result my knees were relatively pain free during the entire hike. I have kept that up and my knees are stronger now then when I was younger. Ditto on the cardio.
A very important thing to remember about all this is that these negative effects of not working out (strength training) is really not noticed when you're young or relatively young. However, as you get up in the years, the ageing effect starts happening quicker and quicker. The sooner you start the better off you'll be as you age, for comparison just look at your peers. However, it seems as even the very old benefit from strength training, so WRT it being too late, it seems that point is virtually on your death bed.

Five reasons you should work on your legs (just walking ain't enough, because it's just walking :D) http://stronglifts.com/5-reasons-why-train-legs-squats/

Excerpt:

"Popular excuses: “I run for my legs”, “My legs are too big already”, “Squats hurt my knees”, … Whatever the story, not training your legs is the biggest training mistake you can make. Here are 5 reasons you should train them."

And the most important reason to workout your legs... To get more women;)

http://platosacademic.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/the-importance-of-working-out-your-legs/

Excerpt:

Your body is like a machine. When you neglect such a major muscle group in your body, such as your legs, the body can become unbalanced. Other muscles are therefore required to shoulder the load to compensate for this deficiency. This is how injuries (a common one being your lower back) can occur.

In conclusion, working out your legs will do the following for you:

Allow you to be better at sports.
Burn fat.
Build muscles everywhere.
Be balanced to avoid injury.
Get more women.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-23-2014, 13:34
age is just a number if you look at it any other way you might as well become a couch potato dont let the thought of being 60 or 70 create a mind set that you cannot do something

Drybones
03-23-2014, 18:02
When you neglect such a major muscle group in your body, such as your legs, the body can become unbalanced.

I was living in AL and working in GA, spent the week in GA and came home weekends, had an apartment next to a gym, had nothing else to do so I did cardio in the mornings (4:30) and weights at night. One night the big guns were seeing who could bench the most, the guy that won normally had jeans on and I never saw his legs until one night he had shorts on, his legs were about the size of my arms, huge upper body but kill deer legs.