PDA

View Full Version : Thrus: Most psychologically challenging state?

dje97001
09-15-2005, 07:07
This is for people who have finished the whole thing. Over the summer I ran into some thru's who seemed to think that New York was extremely difficult to deal with psychologically. They proposed that having finished a grueling PA they realized they still had a massive amount of hiking to do. Several people suggested that there is a NY-CT "blues" that sets in.

In any case, I'm wondering where you were (which state) when you came the closest to leaving the trail.

MacGyver2005
09-15-2005, 07:28
PA was probably the worst for my father and I. You run out of motivators real quick. Before that, you have so much to look forward to. You start, and every 100 miles is an achievement, and you have so many milestones to look forward to. Neels Gap, the NC border, the beginning of the Smokeys, the end of the Smokeys, the TN line, Damascus, MT. Rogers, the beginning of the Shannendoahs, then the end, then Harpers Ferry, then shooting through MD, then the half-way point just into PA. Then it gets boring, plain, uneventful, and the excitement is gone. You've been doing this for over 1,000 miles, and you're barely more than half-way there! It starts to drag on, because the magic of it all being new and exciting has worn off, and now you're just in the middle of nowhere walking...and walking...and walking. You start to question it, and if it really matters if you walk another 1,000 miles, because who is going to care anyway?

Mind you we were northbound, so a SOBO might feel differently. Also we were in a serious heat wave from the end of VA until at least NY, so PA was a literal hot spot for us. I would think that anywhere from PA to NY would be a common response. It really just becomes a game of mind over matter.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Tha Wookie
09-15-2005, 08:51
Mine was right after Harper's Ferry, although I had never any thoughts of quitting.

My example shows that it's not just the trail, but outside life that can knock you off. Island Mama had come to hike with me indefinitely after her summer semester at UGA had let out. We really had the time of our lives together then, everything was going great, and then everything changed.

The postmaster told me when I went to get my box that someone had died on my family, but they didn't know who. After a practical heart attack, Dean (local trail angel) took us to his house and let me call -I was so glad to hear my mom pick up! But then I found out the bad news.....

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=6972

It was tough after that for a while. In just hours, she had disappeared, and I was to be walking alone (or so I thought) for another thousand plus miles.....

Things can change in a heartbeat, on or off the trail, that may effect your hike. I think you have to live out your dream, but also remember that other aspects in life continue as well.

MOWGLI
09-15-2005, 09:01
Western Maine. I was beaten up from New Hampshire and really low on energy. Leaving Gorham was tough. I actually thought about quitting - if only briefly. So glad I didn't.

Once I got past Andover, ME I had the most enjoyable days of the entire hike.

max patch
09-15-2005, 09:15
In any case, I'm wondering where you were (which state) when you came the closest to leaving the trail.

No blues here. Thought of quitting never crossed my mind.

Youngblood
09-15-2005, 09:33
As in life in general, a lot of how we feel about things is determined by what our expectations are... often more so than how things really are. I was able to find something to keep my interest up the whole way. The mosquitos where tough in the low lying areas while, terrain was tough and dangerous in NH and southern MA, etc. But where the mosquitos were bad the frequent road crossing with deli's were great... and the tough terrain lead to incredible views... etc. In my mind, I basically sectioned hiked from one resupply town to the next and if the town felt right to me I would take an extra day to just enjoy what it had to offer, whatever that was.

Youngblood

Lone Wolf
09-15-2005, 09:35
Never had any tough days psychologically or physically.

Ender
09-15-2005, 09:48
Never thought of leaving really, well not too seriously.

Virginia was long and mentally tough... no good waypoints to mark progress for hundreds of miles. But, that's when I was around my group of hiking friends the most, so I enjoyed it for that.

Mass was tough because of the damn mosquitos. I swear I've still never seen larger mosquitos than in MA. They actually drove me off the trail for a day. I hadn't been carrying bugspray up to that point, and just couldn't take it any more. Hitched into town, hung out eating at the local sandwich place, got bugspray, and headed back out.

The second half of Vermont was hard because instead of going with the grain of the mountains, you cut across them to get to New Hampshire. But the northern woods did a lot to sooth the pain of constant up-down hiking.

Georgia must have been tough for a lot of people since a lot of people quit there, but I had no problems. Just found the whole thing exciting at that point.

And right after Harpers Ferry I hurt my foot (stress fracture) which hurt a lot. Too stubborn to go to the doctor to have him tell me to quit, so I got really familiar with ibuprofin and tylonol. That was probably the hardest part for me.

With all that though, never really thought about leaving the trail. I was just having too much fun!

Ender

Skyline
09-15-2005, 10:16
Do section hikers get "The Blues"? I'm serious.

Don't recall that I ever had a serious case of "The Blues" during the eight years it took to complete the AT, maybe a bad day here and there, but I was wondering about other section hikers' experiences.

I have this theory that it is tougher on section hikers physically and logistically, but MUCH tougher on single-year thru-hikers mentally and emotionally. Any thoughts?

This is a good thread.

dje97001
09-15-2005, 10:22
The only blues I get from Section hiking are when I have to go back to work. Your theory sounds good to me.

tlbj6142
09-15-2005, 10:46
Do section hikers get "The Blues"? I'm serious.Heck it happens to me on weekend hikes. If the hike just isn't going "well", I start to thinking about home. I think its really more of a guilt thing. While my wife says she "doesn't mind" when I go on short hikes, I know that isn't entirely true. Plus I leave her with 3 children. Typically I try to arrange my hike when I know that some of the grandparents are available to visit. As I know that helps her out a bit.

And, of course, I've been taking my two oldest (8yo, 5yo) with me a couple times a year.

My brother (AT'04) found NY and MA the area when he most wanted to leave. Something about "the trail just sucks there". The VT state line saved him.

Alligator
09-15-2005, 11:12
Do section hikers get "The Blues"? I'm serious.

Don't recall that I ever had a serious case of "The Blues" during the eight years it took to complete the AT, maybe a bad day here and there, but I was wondering about other section hikers' experiences.

I have this theory that it is tougher on section hikers physically and logistically, but MUCH tougher on single-year thru-hikers mentally and emotionally. Any thoughts?

This is a good thread.Just starting. I have scant few places left within easy driving distance, which means I can only complete most sections through week-long trips. These cost mucho marital capital, so my goal seems further off. It will get done though.

Occasionally, I wonder whether certain sections are worth it (too close to civilizaton.) But after being pleasantly surprised by NJ, this is much less of a concern.

Tin Man
09-15-2005, 13:12
The only blues I get from Section hiking are when I have to go back to work. Your theory sounds good to me.

Me too, and having to start the countdown clock all over again at 365 days! :(

The physical hardship on a long day can get me down a little too, so I have been increasing my workouts to reduce the effect this year. Two years ago it rained all day our second day out and the trail was under water. We didn't mind the rain as much as there was no place to step without our boots filling up with water. When the shelter finally came into view we were very happy campers and all was well again.

Ender
09-15-2005, 13:48
Occasionally, I wonder whether certain sections are worth it (too close to civilizaton.) But after being pleasantly surprised by NJ, this is much less of a concern.

I found this too, being surprised by sections of the trail being good when I expected them to be boring. New Jersey was a wonderful surprise, as well as new York. Both states I found to be very enjoyable. And I was also surprised by how much Connecticut kicked my butt. Didn't expect that, especially since I'd already hiked that section of the trail 4 times before I did my thru. Weird. Loved each state for various parts though, even little ol' West Virginia :rolleyes:

Man this thread is bringing on the Springer Fever...

boomerang
09-15-2005, 17:40
I had a hard time in NY. I had been in semi-flat terrain for so long that the tiny up-and-downs over rocky mountain tops kind of annoyed me. I had no information about NY, unlike other states where there is plenty of chatter. I guess not knowing anything, then running into hills for the first time in a long time sort of threw me off a little. I pushed through it though, and made it to Mass. before I let it get to me. In Mass. I considered quitting due to general boredom and frustration that had been building up since NY.

But, you have to focus on the trail and what it was about the trail that got you on there in the first place. I love hiking, and I love the thru-hiker lifestyle. I wanted to walk the entire trail and loved the daily physical challenge associated with such a quest. I just lost track of that for a little while, and "my blues" set in. They were just as easily obliterated by adjusting my attitude.

Ridge
09-16-2005, 20:57
...my husband ever mentioning any blues setting in. He got a ticked off at the weather a few times, but nothing ever serious. Now as he hikes the PCT he has experienced trouble with stock animals/owners, dogs/owners, some crazy doped out day/section hikers. He has had much more bad people/pet/stock animal experiences on the PCT than he has ever on the AT. He claims the PCT is long on beauty but short on personality.

A-Train
09-16-2005, 21:33
I never had any serious blues/depression/boredum for the most part. I loved Virginia, pennsylvania was partially made more doable with cool may temps and my folks slacking me for 3 days, and NY was my home turf, my old stomping grounds.

My small amount of mental breakdown was in Maine, as was with Little Bear, where I was so worn down and sick that the physical whipping was making my mind tired too.

I'd say overall that Pennsylvania/NJ/Ny are the mental barriers for most thru-hikers. I met a lot of pissed off, tired, cranky thru-hikers in Jersey this summer, who had hiked thru a dry, hot, humid pennsylvania. New York is the section that most thru's seem to dislike the most. They have different expectations, one where they think they can continue to crank 20-25 miles with ease, until they realize the first few days (Harriman) are filled with small pointless up and down climbs and rocks of 500-800 feet. Then there is the lack of water and heat and crappy shelters and the list goes on.

My advice for future thrus would be to detach yourself from expectations. Don't think of virginia as flat, or NY as easy, or anything else. The trail in every state is a lot of different things and can be made worse by weather and other factors. If you feel burned out or get the "blues", it might be time for a change. Switch things up. Take a few short days and go for a swim, take a day off in town, eat different food, walk late in the evening or in early morning, camp away from your group of friends, make new friends etc. I find that when I get into a mental funk it's necessary to make alterations, which can be as easy as buying different food, listening to some music, or pikcing up a new book.

jmaclennan
09-16-2005, 22:16
i often felt funky while doing a long day after having just done a long day or two. that's why i can't imagine how these record breakers do it (i'd rather not do that to myself). also, as a nobo, i got slightly bluesy in mass when i got poured on, was alone, missed my girlfriend, couldn't seem to catch my original hiking partner. the thought crossed my mind that i could come back in another year when there was better weather (i hiked in rainy '03) and finish with my girlfriend. i had decided earlier to ride out such feelings. i knew my mind would change in time (it did the next day). i agree with others that the blues is very situational. it also depends on the person's reactions to difficulties.

Happy Feet
09-17-2005, 00:18
Even though the thought of leaving the trail never entered my mind, I had a rough couple of days in Vermont. The black flies made getting water on Killington MISERABLE, and I was in a lousy mood. Another thru-hiker was having a rough time too because he was physically sick and tired of his food. We were miserable together. The other 2 guys in the shelter that night were as happy as could be and that was kinda annoying at first, but eventually lightened each of our moods.

Hikers are your trail family, and most genuinely care about each other. The people we were hiking with realized that I was in a funk, and their obvious concern for my well being is what helped me snap out of it. The rest of the trip, as the previous miles before Vermont, were about as perfect as they could be.

Hatman never had a bad stretch of trail. He's always happy.

atbeatle
09-17-2005, 02:14
New York was difficult for me because we were in a drought, and many springs had dried up. But, just when it seemed frustrating, one the hikers who had bailed out just before Shenandoah, dropped in on his buddy, who we were hiking with and tookm us to New Paltz for pizza and beer. Otherswise PA was difficult only because Andy Coone got robbed just before we stopped at my partner's grandparents house, and a 3-day planned stop, turned into 10 days, and we had to force ourselves to leave. GA-ME 1982 Beatle Bailey :jump

rocket04
09-17-2005, 12:03
I think A-Train's advice is sound. Don't even try to find out what states are hard, easy, boring, etc. Just go and expect a surprise. And whatever anybody tells you, assume they're full of it. Not because they are, just to not let any expectations sink in, because somebody else can perceive something completely differently depending on their tedencies, mood, etc. But seriously, the number of people that I heard say that VA was flat, Maine was flat, etc. is unreal. And nothing could have been farther from the truth...

To answer the question, I'd say the most mentally challenging was probably PA, just because I wasn't too enchanted with the state. But never thought of calling it quits.

the goat
09-17-2005, 13:24
twas PA & southern jersey for me. good thing there's plenty of watering holes in PA to lighten the spirits. :D

Kozmic Zian
09-17-2005, 23:32
Yea, once I realized, in Harpers Ferry, that I was 1/2 way....I never looked back. Maine was tough on 'The Head'....'cause I didn't want it to end....wanted to turn around, but alas....wifey wouldn't have that, and I was pretty 'beat up', which I think most of us experience on a Thruy....admit it or not....the last state is the toughest....mentally and physically, NB or SB. Never had the 'Quittin' Blues' though. That does not compute....;)