PDA

View Full Version : Any solo hikers use spot??

saltysack
03-13-2014, 17:52
I always solo hike w my dog..my wife worries when I can't check in...she wants me to get a spot... Planning to solo the fht next month w my dog...anyone have exp w spot or does Att have any service on foothills trail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikes in Rain
03-13-2014, 18:54
No. I carry a cell phone, so I can check in at least once a day. (required by my wife so I can hike alone) We've come to realize that if I do fall off a cliff and break my leg, the next hiker will trip over me inside of five minutes, long before the bear can eat me. :) It's not really a wilderness trail, you're not ever all that far from civilization.

saltysack
03-13-2014, 20:40
I very seldom have any service w ATT on the AT in Ga-Va sections....I've heard Verizon is better but our work uses Att so iphone is free. Any service on foothills trail in sc/nc?

10-K
03-13-2014, 20:46
I very seldom have any service w ATT on the AT in Ga-Va sections....I've heard Verizon is better but our work uses Att so iphone is free. Any service on foothills trail in sc/nc?

I have Verizon and cell service on the FHT is very spotty unless they've put up some towers since I last hiked it. My son hiked it with me once and I remember he was trying to get a signal to call his girlfriend for several miles.

saltysack
03-13-2014, 20:51
Thx 10k

BryceB
03-13-2014, 20:57
I use a spot for Dual Sport motorcycle trips. Tracks my location pretty well and my check ins always come through where ever I am in the South East US. Just make sure you set it so the button side is to the sky and your not obstructed by metal or really heavy tree cover. I have an Original Spot and the batteries last forever in it. the newer models use AAAs instead of AAs and don't last so long.m there's a really big thread at Advrider.com where an engineer with Spot was answering questions... It's sort of died down in activity, but the info is still relavent.

we did use another persons spot for the 911 service when they got hit by an oncoming truck with a drunk driver and got him evacuated to a hospital.

I also take it on Biy Scout outings and give the parents that didn't come along the link to my map so they can see where we are.

I'm a happy customer.

saltysack
03-13-2014, 21:08
Thx Bryce... U ride a BMW?

Del Q
03-13-2014, 21:22
I thought about it but don't want friends to see how often I take rest breaks.

Was discussing it with someone today, kind of like when I don't get a cell phone connection at night. After 2+ days I will leave the battery in and typically get a message out during the day. (e mail or text)

BryceB
03-13-2014, 21:23
Nope... I'm cheap. A Kawasaki KLR650.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/bbeyler/8c6dab22.jpg

Baldbaron
03-13-2014, 21:23
I have used the original for several years and just up graded to the Gen 3. They will not send a signal under heavy tree cover. I wish it was as reliable as a GPS, but it does have to send a signal.

slbirdnerd
03-13-2014, 21:33
Take a look at the Delorme Inreach, offers a lot of functionality, GPS communicator with two way texts and emails and integrates with your iPhone via Bluetooth.

saltysack
03-13-2014, 21:47
Thx all....Bryce nice bike...never ride much off road but did ride from fl to sturgis....what a blast..can't wait till I get another bike when kids grow up. I've always loved the BMW dual sport. Japs build a more reliable bike though...a friend ride his from michigan all through Canada to Alaska and back...awesome trip mostly off pavement..

SunnyWalker
03-14-2014, 10:34
I use the Spot and purchased it last year (2013) for use on CDT. It worked very good and was very convenient. I would not use it every time I hike, e.g., for AT I would not use it.

10-K
03-14-2014, 10:40
My wife likes my SPOT a lot more than I do.... :) I carry it because it makes her happy and weighs about the same as a big Snicker bar. If it makes her happy I'm happy too. No big deal.

10-K
03-14-2014, 10:40
I have one too. Love it - bulletproof.

Nope... I'm cheap. A Kawasaki KLR650.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/bbeyler/8c6dab22.jpg

tagg
03-17-2014, 19:40
I hiked the foothills trail in November, and only had cell service once or twice in the four days it took me to finish. My carrier is Sprint, but a few years ago I hiked it with a friend who had AT&T, and he had no service the whole time we were out there. I also carry a SPOT, for the same reason as 10-K, and every one of them went out. Enjoy your hike, it's a great trail.

CarlZ993
03-17-2014, 21:44
I used a Spot for my 2013 AT Thru-hike. Kept the wife happy. It also synched it w/ my Facebook page so my friends could keep up w/ my progress as well. Not essential. But, I carry it on all my hikes.

FYI - Used the Gen 2 version.

Capt Nat
03-18-2014, 07:37
I use mine anytime I'm going to be out of phone service. Seems a common theme with making the wife happy...