PDA

View Full Version : What is your target gear weight?

myakka_
03-13-2014, 19:26
I am transitioning from gear I use to travel and fight wildfires to gear for hiking/ camping/ etc. As I start to replace some of my old favorites with wonderful new lighter materials, I realized that I wish I had gone ultra-light years ago.

So as I consider trying to attack the AT in pieces, I wondered how light you guys get before you set out?

My gear on deployments was allowed to be as heavy as 70lbs including camping gear and line gear (what I wear when working), but I trimmed it down to 28lbs by getting as light weight gear as was available at the time, and learning to do without luxuries.

But I don't know what is a good target weight for taking on the AT.

I would like it if you explain whether you are a through hiker or not, since that (seems) like it would matter. If it doesn't, then tell me that too LOL

And thanks for helping me figure this out. If this is just too big a question or some thing I don't know how to ask, please explain.

Malto
03-13-2014, 19:32
You are going to see a huge range in base weight from under 10lbs to 50+. I would estimate that the average base weight on the AT is in the 15-20lb range. (Base weight is gear only, not food and consumables). Personally I have about an eight lb. base but I don't weight it anymore. But I am by far on the lighter end of the spectrum especially on the AT. And I'm a recovering thru hiker and currently section hiking the AT.

DocMahns
03-13-2014, 19:33
I would like my baseweight to be around 15lbs. I have it at 17lbs right now which is still manageable. I am going to thruhike this summer.

rafe
03-13-2014, 19:42
Mid/high teens is where I think I'm at. Haven't done a weighing in a while.

jimmyjam
03-13-2014, 19:59
I keep mine at 12- 15 lbs before food & water. A good rule of thumb is if you can keep your loaded pack to around 15% of your body weight you'll be happier.

RedBeerd
03-13-2014, 20:14
Now that I've hit 14.5 I'm pretty happy. What's the point going much lighter? I'm an active 200 pound guy, 15 is light. I was happy with 20lbs. I'll go lighter but not until gear NEEDS replacing. My original target was 10 until I realized its too expensive :)

Weather-man
03-13-2014, 20:26
I also carried a lot of "stuff"in my previous life though almost all of it was work related with very little personal comfort items. There were many times when I shared a sleeping bag with another guy if that gives you an idea of what I mean. That adventure is over and now I'm just having fun seeing how low in weight I can go while still being safe and somewhat comfortable.

I'm at about 10 lbs base which is good from March to about late Oct in the southern part of the AT. I'm not a thru hiker but do take sections that last a couple weeks when I can find the time so I suppose that my kit would suffice for a thru. A 10 lb base gives me a total pack weight of about 22 lbs for a 5 day hike without resupply.

I don't carry a lot of extras and never did, even as a kid. My luxury item is an iPhone and a new trent lithium battery for a total of about 12 oz. I've also took to carrying a Mora knife (3.5 oz) instead of the little UL knife that I used to carry.

Edit: Also looking at a 2 oz pillow as another luxury item!

I recently dropped my canister stove and am using a beer can pot and esbit Ti stove. Very light but no where near as convenient as a canister to be sure. That's ok though as I can always learn more patience.

Tomorrow my daughter and I leave for the ONF and my total pack weight right now, minus water, is at 13.5 lbs and that includes a CS1 tent. It's warm and I also don't carry a lot of food for a 2 day hike.

Currently using an Arc Blast and a Zpack 30 bag which really help in keeping the weight down.

Stepinwolfe
03-13-2014, 20:29
< 20 lbs, plus food and water.

myakka_
03-13-2014, 20:30
Tomorrow my daughter and I leave for the ONF and my total pack weight right now, minus water, is at 13.5 lbs and that includes a CS1 tent. It's warm and I also don't carry a lot of food for a 2 day hike.

Very cool. Enjoy. This is the best time to be in the woods in Florida. I have a 5 day kayak trip in 2 weeks inland and south of you.

Odd Man Out
03-13-2014, 20:38
I'm not planning a thru hike in the near future, but hope to do a week-long trip every summer. Have just done a complete overhaul of my pack. I spent a long time researching each gear choice, changing minds multiple times. Each decision was a balance among cost, function, weight, gut feelings, etc... I didn't have a base weight target. I just tried to make the lightest choice each time, given the constraints of cost, function, etc... I just got everything together last weekend for the first time and weighed it all. Glad to find out the base weight came in around 14 lbs. Not going to knock myself out chasing a few extra ozs.

Mick3y
03-14-2014, 00:31
I used to have a base weight of 50+ lbs. I decided to lighten up that load and set my target on 20lbs. Or maybe it was 15lbs. I don't remember. But next thing I knew I was around 11-13lbs, so I set a new target to break 10lbs. Now I'm sitting at 9.2 lbs and don't have any real plans to go lighter. Any lighter would either cost too much for me to justify it or would require sacrificing comfort.

Ercoupe
03-14-2014, 06:31
Section Hiker. As previously stated, time of year dictates weight. I will be starting a two week section end of march near Erwin with 23 lbs three day food and 1.5 L water. Going for more resupply points and less weight carried. Comfortable pack w/ frame, is imperative to me, carry weight on my hips. Would be nice to drop more weight, not ready to part with funds, As much of the lightest equipment would have to be purchased sight unseen.

garlic08
03-14-2014, 10:10
There's no way I could have hiked the AT with my old backpacking weight of 30+ pounds, base weight. When I got it down to 15, I was ready to go and have never looked back. I'm currently under 10, and like Malto above, don't weigh it anymore because I don't notice it and it doesn't matter. (I pay closer attention to food and water weight and management thereof. A one-liter bottle of water weighs more than anything in my pack, including the pack. Four days of food outweighs my base load, so I pay very close attention to that.)

You don't mention your age. Older hikers, with exceptions of course, need to watch the pack weight more closely. I agree with others above that 15 pounds base weight would be a good target.

Yours is a good question, especially on the AT. I saw the majority of hikers attempting a thru struggling mightily with heavy packs.

q-tip
03-14-2014, 10:11
For me--13.5-15 lbs. I have an extensive gear list for U/L, light 3-season and cold 3-season with weights and costs. If yoiu are interested, send me a PM with your email and I will forward. I got 5 lbs out of my kit literally one ounce at a time. thanks...

Bagge Pants
03-14-2014, 14:47
about 10 lbs but I plan to resupply and nearo at least every four days so my gear leans more towards efficiency opposed to comfortableness

88BlueGT
03-14-2014, 15:11
11.1lb....................

88BlueGT
03-14-2014, 15:40
11.1lb....................

EDIT: My weight is 11.1 and I would love to get sub 10 but I'm pretty happy where I'm at as far as comfort goes. The number bothers me more!

flemdawg1
03-17-2014, 10:26
I just try to be as light as possible, while maintaining a resonable minimum of comfort and without busting my own budget.
So over the last 3 years I've yo-yo'd between 11-14lbs in weight.

Went back and forth on cook systems: started with a penny stove, then a cat stove, but the spilling fuel, long waits and never quite figuring out a good working windscreen and stand, led me to butane canister and ultimately jetboil.

Experimented with several coffe making methods, from Merlitta cones, to instant and finally seetling for a small french press. The French press seems to offer the best flavor for the least amount of trash to carryout, and least chance of dumping over while brewwing (which is a horrble tragedy when using the Merlitts cone).

I always brought some spare clothes to wear in camp, it just feels good to have a quick bandana bath then put on some nonwet/stinky clothes.

I side sleep and need abit of extra cushioning between myself and the ground.

bettywagner
03-17-2014, 15:09
I have my current pack weight at 25 and would love to examine your list. I am a section hiker and hope to do from Buchanan to Harper's Ferry. Solo female and not comfortable catching frequent rides into town.

Tx

shakey_snake
03-17-2014, 17:01
Just picking out a reasonable "big 3" (shelter, sleep system, pack) from some place like REI will put you at about 15 lbs base weight, easy.

Learn the ultralight tricks for dumping the things you probably don't need duplicates of (e.g. trowel and trekking poles) and you can get down to 12 lbs.

Put together a moderately priced Big 3 from a cottage company and you can be at 9-10 lbs for a base weight.

Dump everything you don't need and pick the lightest of the things you do need, 8-9lbs base weight.

Go no-cook, 7-8 lbs base weight.

Buy pricey cuben gear 5-6lbs base weight.

Set a separate, feather light summer sleeping bag, 6 labs and less base weight.

Violent Green
03-17-2014, 20:07
Section hiker. For 3 season hiking it lands in the 6lbs base weight range. In winter 8-10 lbs depending on the forecast. If I was thru-hiking the AT, I would shoot for the 8-10 lbs range solely because I would want take along a few more creature comforts to help keep me sane.

Garlic08 brings up a good point regarding food weight - most people pay very little attention to it, but it's vital in keeping the weight down. The OTHER big four no one brings up is food, water, clothing, and shoes. Dial in your gear, then dial in those four things. Watch the pounds float away.

Ryan

myakka_
03-17-2014, 20:16
Thanks everyone for so many good responses. I am mid 40's, and am in decent shape. ( I fight forest fires, so I hike with a pack daily.)

I have a 2lb summer bag, 2lb air mattress (cheap pool float to be honest), and a 2 lb hammock tent, with a 2lb rain fly So my big 3 puts me about 8lbs. I never needed cookware on deployments, but I had bought an REI micro stove ages ago. So I have a start on my gear.

I will keep reading and learning thanks!

jimmyjam
03-17-2014, 20:41
Thanks everyone for so many good responses. I am mid 40's, and am in decent shape. ( I fight forest fires, so I hike with a pack daily.)

I have a 2lb summer bag, 2lb air mattress (cheap pool float to be honest), and a 2 lb hammock tent, with a 2lb rain fly So my big 3 puts me about 8lbs. I never needed cookware on deployments, but I had bought an REI micro stove ages ago. So I have a start on my gear.

I have an Exped 7.5 that weighs 19 oz that I will sell you for $35 shipped CON US . It is used, no holes, no wear. Paypal only. PM me if you are interested.

leaftye
03-17-2014, 21:48
I'm happy under 15 pounds for a section hike in normal thru hiking season. Add weight in winter or when there will be more camping than hiking.

fastfoxengineering
03-22-2014, 17:57
I'm right around 16.5lbs winter weight. I could easily cut off a 1lb just in clothes by getting rid of my extra pair of boxer-briefs and swapping my two "dedicated" hiking shirts (one long sleeve, one short) for just one shirt. I could also cut out two lbs in luxury items. Camera, journal, etc. My gear is also, as I like to say, "damn tough". I'm harsh on my gear and it can take a beating. I've seen ultralight packs that tear as soon as you drag them across pavement once. My granite gear blaze 60 pack has been through hell. And when I bought it, I was like I'm gonna destroy this thing is weeks. It's held up very well for two seasons of tossing it around. I plan on getting below a 15lb base weight (cold gear) for my future AT thru-hike. I'm going to do so, by buying a cuben fiber tarp for my hammock. 10oz saving right there. Then go from there

Mick3y
03-22-2014, 21:22

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..

Wolf - 23000
03-22-2014, 23:18
It really depends on if I'm hiking with someone or not. If I'm hiking with someone, I keep my base weight to around 2-3 pounds for 3 seasonal hiking. If we are going at a slower pace, I carry a little extra. If I am hiking by myself, I don't carry that much.

Wolf

Meriadoc
03-22-2014, 23:33
I started my AT thru at 17 lbs base weight. Didn't drop much until summer. Then I added luxuries in such as books. It got to the point that I didn't care what was in it as long as the straps didn't slip.

I don't weigh my pack any more because it is light enough and I'm happy. But that doesn't stop me from evaluating and trying new things. Getting rid of the tent is the latest one.

BobTheBuilder
03-23-2014, 00:15
I've seen very few hikers in the 10-15 lb base weight range, but oddly they seem to be the majority of the responses here. I know it's not bragging if you can do it, but maybe it's boasting. The majority of the hikers, both thru and section, that I meet have base weights before food and water of 20-25 lbs, maybe 25-30 lbs fully loaded with 4 days food and 2 qts water. I have no questions about the "big 4" being under 10 lbs, but by the time you add in kitchen & stove, cell phone, maps, meds, headlamp, TP, rain clothes, and a few cold weather base layers like tops, bottoms, hat, and gloves, most people are an easy 18-20. I suspect the <10 lb people live right near the trail and only hike when the weather is perfect. Being prepared for changing conditions usually means bringing some extra stuff.

leaftye
03-23-2014, 05:07
It's probably more that fewer heavier packers haven't weighed their gear.

Kc Fiedler
03-23-2014, 10:12
I've seen ultralight packs that tear as soon as you drag them across pavement once.

Really? It surprises you that 10D nylon and Cuben tear when you "drag them across pavement?"

Maybe I should be more mind boggled that anyone would drag their backpacking gear across some pavement.

I don't even know where to begin.

Meriadoc
03-23-2014, 10:14
It's probably more that fewer heavier packers haven't weighed their gear.

Or don't want to share it. Likely a combination of both. There seems to be a stigma against packs that weigh a little more. I've said it many times and I will say it again: except on the extremes of too heavy and too little equipment, what is on your back does not determine the hike - you do! Lighter just makes it easier.

I should add that among the thrus I hiked with, mine was towards the lighter end of the spectrum at 17 lbs (until my book/luxury count started rising :D) although there were a few standouts who had much lower weights.

Mick3y
03-23-2014, 13:38
I've seen very few hikers in the 10-15 lb base weight range, but oddly they seem to be the majority of the responses here.

I didn't bother weight anything except fully loaded weight until I got sub 20-ish pounds.

fastfoxengineering
03-24-2014, 02:25
Really? It surprises you that 10D nylon and Cuben tear when you "drag them across pavement?"

Maybe I should be more mind boggled that anyone would drag their backpacking gear across some pavement.

I don't even know where to begin.

Sorry, it was an analogy. I should have been more descriptive. Ultralight backpacking gear IS fragile. As in, handle it with care. I do not purposely try to tear my gear up. But I've seen ultralight bags get thrown into the back of someones pickup and punctured or torn on the spot. I do operations/expeditions where my gear is subject to some abuse. I give my pack to someone and they toss it in the back of a plane, then another someone just throws it out on the tarmac for me to pick up. Hopping in and out of trucks, etc. I'm hard on my gear, but still manage about a 15lb base weight (3 seasons) and everything seems that it will hold up for a long time. Not everyone is as cautious as some people with their gear. I didn't say it surprises me that ultralight gear tears when you drag them across pavement. I'm well aware of the capabilities of the equipment. On a thru, someone can definitely be more cautious when handling their gear, when backpacking through the Philippines, lashing last minute things to your pack, etc, its just a different story.

Like I said, I own a Granite Gear Blaze 60 and I'm very pleased with how well it's help up to my usage. And.. I'm in no way "cautious" with my pack. I get to camp, take it off, and toss it to the side. I like the character "wear and tear" gives my stuff.

ChuckT
03-24-2014, 08:25
These "base weight" discussion seem to be all over the place (this and other discussion). It seems to me that the only accurate way to measure, if you need to, is all your gear, _every_ bleesed thing you "carry", except water, food and clothes you wear at the beginning, ie at the trailhead.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Mick3y
03-24-2014, 09:44
Food + Water + Fuel = Consumables
Clothing + Headgear + Shoes + Poles = Worn
Everything Else = Base Weight

I could be wrong, but that is just my understanding of it all. I guess if someone was really trying to be a gram weenie they could count sunscreen, hand sanitizer, soap, TP and more as consumables. Anything that loses weight as the hike goes on is technically consumable, but I would only count the 3 mentioned above as they vary by resupply and the weights make significant changes daily.

Hill Ape
03-24-2014, 11:58
to my thinking,

gear=big three+all other gear

base weight=gear+clothes

base weight+food and water=total weight

big three first, (that weight, and good gear choices after, goes miles to making good final weight) followed by whatever other gear you choose to carry (that machete, in case of zombies). these gear choices are the only ones i look at weight when comparison shopping

clothes, i just weigh the pile. i wear what i wear, its gonna weigh what it weighs.

base weight+food and water= total weight

food and water.

one liter of water weighs 2.2 lb. its still weighs 2.2 lb in you stomach. when i'm walking, i really only carry a gatorade bottle full, i've never been caught in a drought and missed a dry spring before i need more. at camp i camel just to cook and clean (please for the love of god wash your butt). sometimes that may mean dangling the bladder from the pack for a mile or so. my point is, i don't really carry a couple lb of water all the time.

food, so hard to really figure. it is what it is, it will get more as your needs increase. thumb rule says 2 lb per day, i figure resupply every four days. so 8-12 lb of food that gets lighter each day.

a large supreme pizza, a six pack of beer, and a frozen cheesecake will all fit strapped outside of the pack. by the time you learn how, the weight of said items will be irrelevant in your mind. and you be a legendary hero around JB's campfire chats

basically, after that longwinded diatribe. i focus on big three.... then i weigh final weight on a fish weight hook. long as i'm not over 30-35 lb, its all good.

bamboo bob
03-24-2014, 12:09
I the risk of getting flamed. Once you get to your personal comfortable weight _ Say 15 pounds, do as anyone really believe that their hike will be "better" if they drop it to 13 pounds or 9 or something. What about the size of the person. I'm 6'3'' and about 240 lbs. Do you really think I'll go faster or better by dropping two pounds of base weight? I really think that is a lot of nonsense.

Hill Ape
03-24-2014, 12:30
but buut but ray way says!

i'm actually totally with you bamboo. i tried ultralight, some of it was cool, but i want a suspension system, not a rolled up pad on my back. i did that for a minute, then started working carefully back up. looking for the happy medium weight, 5'7", blue eyed curly red haired rig i can truly love every day and night. i'll call her betty

bannerstone
03-24-2014, 13:00
A base weight is most meaningful when it is associated with a season (summer, 3 season, winter).

If I say my base weight is 10-12 lb in summer (40*+ lows ) and that I'm a warm sleeper, you would probably say that I'm a "light" bordering on "ultra-light" hiker.

Comparatively, my spring/fall (20*+ lows) weight is probably still in the 12-13 lb range.

However in full on winter (0*+ lows), I tend to hike fewer miles while spending more time in camp, my weights run 17+ lb depending on if it's a group outing and the agenda.

My guess is that most of the numbers you'll get from folks are summer weights.

It's a process, have fun, learn some things and most importantly hike a lot!

David

Busky2
03-24-2014, 14:54
TWENTY THREE POUNDS!!! It was less, then I went from a sub 2lb pack to a (Deuter) 4.7lb pound pack and I feel better at the end of the day. I also went from a squeeze filter back to my Hiker Pro filter (easier in my mind) and gave up Alcohol for a Canister also added some extra for my Clark NX250 Hammock over my Hennessy till Summer. So I added a bit over 4lbs and I am HAPPIER for it.

myakka_
03-24-2014, 15:03
Thanks again everyone. I am not going to be trimming my shoe laces to save a 1/10th of an ounce, but it is cool to get a reference for where everyone else is. I agree with those folks who have said that weights will vary by type of hike, and time of year.

And Busky, you have brought out a good point. Ultra light is awesome, but not the whole picture. If you feel better at the end of the day that extra pound is probably worth it (within reason LOL).

Good information folks.

fastfoxengineering
03-24-2014, 16:13
Thanks again everyone. I am not going to be trimming my shoe laces to save a 1/10th of an ounce, but it is cool to get a reference for where everyone else is. I agree with those folks who have said that weights will vary by type of hike, and time of year.

And Busky, you have brought out a good point. Ultra light is awesome, but not the whole picture. If you feel better at the end of the day that extra pound is probably worth it (within reason LOL).

Good information folks.

There is a whole lot of great information in the "ultra-light hikers" section under a thread called ultra-light newbie mistakes/advice or something like that. There's a great deal of advice on going lighter.
If you've been backpacking with a heavier base weight for some time now, getting down to 15lbs is a great accomplishment and a good medium in terms of afforadibility, comfort, and durability of your gear.

A 15lb base weight typically means your dialed in, your carrying the gear you NEED and have cut out 95% of the stuff you don't and haven't spent a fortune on cuben to save 1/10's of ounces on stuff sacks and such. You have some luxury items that make your hike enjoyable. Shoot for 15lbs, and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Ronnwell
03-24-2014, 16:19
I the risk of getting flamed. Once you get to your personal comfortable weight _ Say 15 pounds, do as anyone really believe that their hike will be "better" if they drop it to 13 pounds or 9 or something. What about the size of the person. I'm 6'3'' and about 240 lbs. Do you really think I'll go faster or better by dropping two pounds of base weight? I really think that is a lot of nonsense.

I tend to agree with Bamboo. For me, an extra pound or two isn't going to make or break most of my hiking. Moreover, through trial and error, I'm simply not willing to give up my inflatable pad or my Jetboil or go with a poncho tarp to shed those few extra pounds.

Another point about being taller: A taller person probably carries around an extra pound due the extra materials contained in longer sleeping bags and clothes (rain gear, down jackets, etc). I'm definitely not bemoaning being tall, just pointing out that a taller person who wants to go Super-Extreme-Ultra-Nano-Light needs to work a little harder to get to lower base weights. It also helps to not get too caught up in arbitrary numbers like "sub-10lb" when that doesn't necessarily match up to your body.

12trysomething
03-24-2014, 16:54
My base weight for my current 3 season kit is 12.7#. I am very comfortable both on the trail and at camp with this set-up. It is good for 25 pounds up to about 60.

12trysomething
03-24-2014, 19:35
Some of the best advice I ever received, and used, on cutting weight; make a list of everything you will take on your trip, upon arriving home, after the trip, place a mark by each piece of gear for each time you used it. If it doesn't keep you dry, fed or have 3 marks by it....do you really need it?

It is an interesting experiment for certain!

12trysomething
03-24-2014, 23:09
My base weight for my current 3 season kit is 12.7#. I am very comfortable both on the trail and at camp with this set-up. It is good for 25 pounds up to about 60.

Edit...25 degrees to 60. Not sure why I typed pounds?

Starvin Marvin
03-26-2014, 10:26
Thanks everyone for so many good responses. I am mid 40's, and am in decent shape.

I have a 2lb summer bag, 2lb air mattress (cheap pool float to be honest), and a 2 lb hammock tent, with a 2lb rain fly So my big 3 puts me about 8lbs.

Just so you know... Usually the " big 3 " includes your pack weight also. ^

Different Socks
03-26-2014, 13:00
Simple answer: Don't have one. Just trying to lower weight b/c I am older now, but still carry many luxury items and things the gram weenies wouldn't dare to even think about.

jimmyjam
03-26-2014, 13:22
About 14 # before food, fuel and water. around 13# for summer.

Shonryu
03-27-2014, 00:18
I'm 6'2 so I have to work a little harder to get my pack weight down compared to those who are shorter.

On average I put in 25-30+miles a day. I could not do this with a heavier pack. When Im ready to call it quits I stop to set up camp, eat dinner, change my clothes, and head to bed. I personally dont care about luxery items. Just keeping the weather off of me and staying warm while I'm sleeping. I consider hiking to be my luxery item and the food I carry.

I'm up around 5am and back on the trail by 5:30am like clockwork. What I enjoy about backpacking is being on the trail seeing as much as I can and making the most out of the time I have at the sacrifice of comfort.

My summer weights are usually in the sub 6lbs range, 3 season is 8.5lbs, and winter 10.5lbs - 11lbs.

Its not unusual while im on the trail for people to assume I'm just day hiking. Maybe until they smell me lol. They usually ask how far I plan on going and when they realize I'm long distance backpacking the questions start to pour in as well as the infamous question. Can I pick up your pack to see how heavy it is?

I'm not out to impress anyone with my base weights but to shed some light on why some of us perfer going SUL or UL.

At the end of the day everyone has their style and what they enjoy and love about backpacking. I personally find freedom in leaving my creature comforts behind and the simplicity of trail life. The less I carry while being responsibly safe the happier I am.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-29-2014, 16:59
I keep mine at 12- 15 lbs before food & water. A good rule of thumb is if you can keep your loaded pack to around 15% of your body weight you'll be happier.

Now, is that 15% of what your body weight ACTUALLY IS or what your body weight SHOULD BE, because if so I'm off by 3 pounds!!! ;)

JumpMaster Blaster
03-29-2014, 17:12
to my thinking,

gear=big three+all other gear

base weight=gear+clothes

base weight+food and water=total weight

big three first, (that weight, and good gear choices after, goes miles to making good final weight) followed by whatever other gear you choose to carry (that machete, in case of zombies). these gear choices are the only ones i look at weight when comparison shopping

clothes, i just weigh the pile. i wear what i wear, its gonna weigh what it weighs.

base weight+food and water= total weight

food and water.

one liter of water weighs 2.2 lb. its still weighs 2.2 lb in you stomach. when i'm walking, i really only carry a gatorade bottle full, i've never been caught in a drought and missed a dry spring before i need more. at camp i camel just to cook and clean (please for the love of god wash your butt). sometimes that may mean dangling the bladder from the pack for a mile or so. my point is, i don't really carry a couple lb of water all the time.

food, so hard to really figure. it is what it is, it will get more as your needs increase. thumb rule says 2 lb per day, i figure resupply every four days. so 8-12 lb of food that gets lighter each day.

a large supreme pizza, a six pack of beer, and a frozen cheesecake will all fit strapped outside of the pack. by the time you learn how, the weight of said items will be irrelevant in your mind. and you be a legendary hero around JB's campfire chats

basically, after that longwinded diatribe. i focus on big three.... then i weigh final weight on a fish weight hook. long as i'm not over 30-35 lb, its all good.

I'm training with 35lbs in my pack, ( a North Facew Terra 55 which is by no means light). As long as I'm comfortable doing 10-12 miles a day on a section hike with that, I'm fine.

Maybe next year I'll look at shaving poundage, but that'll entail spending another $700-800 on gear that I can't support right now.

excuses
03-29-2014, 19:04
I average 17 lbs with food and water. that is the weight I'll carry so that is the weight i look at.

fiddlehead
03-30-2014, 01:04
Targeting a pack weight is like budgeting your money I guess.
Something I've never, ever done (either one)
I just am ALWAYS on the lookout for a lighter weight piece of gear than the one I now use.
Found the aluminium spoon in Asia.
Tinyest toothpaste tube (made my own cap to refill it in town without waste), from a hotel in Borneo.
Still have my old micro-fleece sweatshirt that is warm and have never found anything lighter (but never stop looking)

Same with money, I don't budget, but, I never drink coke or sugar crap, almost always water instead (and try to get THAT out of a tap, vs buying)
I would rather stealth camp in town than pay for a $100 a night room (unless it's raining and I really need to get my gear dried out)

In other words, live below your means but have the money to buy that steak when you need it.
As well as travelling with the lightest pack possible but still carrying that 2 lb. guitar (hopefully they make a lighter one soon)

Good luck and have fun.

myakka_
03-30-2014, 07:39
Just so you know... Usually the " big 3 " includes your pack weight also. ^

Thanks...... Pack weight is 1.8lbs. So still around 10lbs for these items.

jdc5294
03-30-2014, 08:38
13# for me without a tent, which is how I did 3/4 of the AT (it got stolen in Catawba). Wish I could go lighter but $$$$ is a factor. And since it seems to be a factor here i'm 6'0"

Lambarrassment
04-01-2014, 11:28
Before I started building my thru-hike kit, my target weight was sub-18lbs. I picked that target based on the 15% body weight rule a few people have mentioned.

I weigh a healthy 175 lbs, so I took 15% of that and got 26.25lbs. I then subtracted 8.25 lbs for three days worth of food and a liter or so of water, to reflect the "average" of a variable weight that could theoretically range from 0 to 15 lbs depending on how long I want to go without resupplying. That left me with 18 lbs maximum target for base weight, (which to me encompasses literally everything else you have except your boots/shoes).

This is back-of-the-napkin quality math, but it was a really useful starting point for me. I eventually got my base weight down to ~16 lbs.

This process made sense to me, anyway, and I'm honestly thrilled about the final figure. I've never been so lightweight on a backpacking trip...but then again I've never undertaken a thru-hike. We'll see how much more I manage to shed this summer!