PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed for Newbies

BOOKWIZERD2
09-15-2005, 08:01
I need you help! :)

I am taking 3 newbies (plus we are all 40 years +) on the trail. I was thinking about either North from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mark Park or the same route going south. I understand that this is probably the easiest sections of the AT but from a ease of shuttle and parking perspective what direction would be the way to go?

Bookwizerd

(Plus this is only my second hike on the AT.. went from Amicalola to Neels Gap last May and really enjoyed it)

Smile
09-15-2005, 09:35
Great section and some really nice hiking. After the initial climb out of HF it's a beautiful and historical section, and you are never really too far from civilization. Good choice, definately NOBO from HF. Plenty of water and your first nights shelter (Ed Garvey I believe) is a nice initiation for newbies.

LIhikers
09-15-2005, 15:26
That's a great section for newbies. If it were me I'd find a place to park at or near Harper's Ferry and arrainge for shuttle to Pen Mar. Hike back to Harper's Ferry and then cap off your trip with a day of sightseeing there at Harper's Ferry.

Patrick
09-15-2005, 16:18
My first trip on the AT was one foot over the PA line down to Shenandoah. Very pretty, lots of cool historical stuff on the way.

My two cents would be to hike south, though. The finish in PA is very unspectacular, whereas hiking into Harper's Ferry as your final destination would really be something to look forward to. Rather than a tiny parking lot to finish up in, you'd have a really cool town with plenty of places to immediately stuff your face. Also, the rivers coming together there are gorgeous (great kayaking there, if you're so inclined) and the final couple miles of flat walking on the C and O is a nice finish to the hike.

Either way, you can't go wrong, though. That was the hike that started it all for me.