PDA

View Full Version : Down Booties

SunnyWalker
03-14-2014, 10:24
I was thinking of purchasing a pair down booties to wear in the sleeping bag as my feet always seem cold. I looked at the REI.Com site and theirs look pretty hefty. Plus the ones they offer have a metal "button" to draw the cord thus making them snug. I suppose one could just remove the cord and button to save weight. Any suggestions as to down booties, brands, etc.? From you folks who have used them on the trail? If you have used the pair from REI let me know also. Thanks. :banana

slbirdnerd
03-14-2014, 10:42
You could check the small companies like Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. My bro in law has a pair he seems happy with but I'm not sure the brand. I too have cold feet and if I do any more winter backpacking will be seriously considering them!

bfayer
03-14-2014, 10:45
I have the REI ones and they are well made but heavy. I use them mostly around camp in winter outside my sleeping bag.

If you only need them for your sleeping bag, then I would go with something lighter like goosefeet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Coffee
03-14-2014, 10:46
I have the down booties from GooseFeetGear: https://goosefeetgear.com/

QiWiz
03-14-2014, 11:38
I have and like the Feathered Friends down booties. Very light, with an inner down boot and an outer cover with light sole that you can walk around camp in, even in snow, though a bit slippery on sloped ground. At night, just slip off the outer boot and keep the inner down booties on for nice warm feet.

Slosteppin
03-14-2014, 19:31
If you really want down booties I think QiWiz has the answer.

There is an alternative I've used several times. I carry Platypus hydration bladders. Several times I've heated water and half filled a bladder. Then I wrap it in a shirt and put in the footbox of the sleeping bag. I have warm feet to start and still warm in the morning. I have no extra weight to carry and water almost warm enough for morning coffee.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2014, 19:44
I agree with QiWiz, but before you pull the trigger consider this... fresh thick hiking socks, not the ones you just hiked in and a fleese beanie! Try that first before you spend the bucks...

Dogwood
03-14-2014, 19:58
I've been sleeping in UL Goosefeet down booties without the protective over boot for more than 5 yrs now. Love em! Warmth right where I want it. If I was to extensively be wandering around camp in them I would want to take along the protective over booty for greater durability, WPness, and protection.

10-K
03-14-2014, 20:45
I have the down booties from GooseFeetGear: https://goosefeetgear.com/

Me too. :)

ChinMusic
03-14-2014, 22:54
I have Nunatak Teenaways. Amazing quality. There is no way I could sleep with then on. My feet are never cold in the bag.

SunnyWalker
03-15-2014, 08:58
Well, the REI ones are formidable and look like they weigh a lot so I have ruled them out. I will look at these other companies you all mention and also just a set of good wool socks that could be left in the bag for the nights. I do not wish to have something I that I can walk around camp in (not looking for "camp shoes"). I've got plenty of wool socks and blends to hike in but was thinking maybe an option would be a nice wool sock that is a short one. I am getting old, can't remember right now what we call short socks that we run in etc., Anyway, its probably too much to hope for. OK, gotta go look, Thanks!

SouthMark
03-15-2014, 09:42
Love my Flamethrower down socks. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/flamethrower-gear.html

LIhikers
03-15-2014, 11:01
Another vote for the Feathered Friends booties.

nu2hike
03-15-2014, 12:12
+1on the Flamethrowers!

Kerosene
03-15-2014, 12:17
I have the down booties from GooseFeetGear: https://goosefeetgear.com/ Me three! :)

bigcranky
03-15-2014, 17:20
My wife has the Goosefeet and I'm totally jealous. I have a pair of the huge traditional down booties and rarely bring them because of the bullk.

kk4df
03-15-2014, 17:38
Another vote for the Feathered Friends booties.

Another vote for these. My daughter and I both have a pair. They really make a huge difference on a cold night. I wear a pair of fleece socks with these over them. Toasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwilli
03-15-2014, 19:54
I bought a pair of western mountaineering flash booties. I haven't had them outside yet, but they are super warm while sitting on the couch! The price is reasonable (about $50) and they are very light. The only thing I would recommend is to buy one size smaller than what their sizing chart suggests. I bought a pair in large, and my feet swim in them. Wish I'd bought a medium. Very satisfied with them though!

Sanna
03-16-2014, 09:49
I too have the Goosefeet & love them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SunnyWalker
03-17-2014, 00:14
Yikes! Flamethrowers are at $65.00 bucks . . . REI ones might be good after all . . . ha, ha, just kidding, they weigh too much. I'm still looking . . . hmmmmm . . . .

SunnyWalker
03-17-2014, 00:28
Welllllll, It would be fun to wear Goosefeet (I think I could have a lot of fun with the name). Oh well, the wool socks look really good so I think I am going to get me a little pair of nice wool or smartwool socks dedicated just for sleeping. Sorreeeeeee!! Thanks for the advice! Happy sleeping!

hikebikesteve
03-17-2014, 07:27
Fill your water bottles with hot water. Take your socks off and put the bottles in them. Place them by your feet. Your feet will be warm and your socks dry in the morning.
Get the booties you can walk outside with. When you vet up to pee they go off and on quick.