PDA

View Full Version : Bears Den Hostel sale

BlackCloud
09-15-2005, 08:38
I was out hiking the trail the other day & this little bird on its way south told me that ATC is trying to offload the Bears Den Hostel onto PATC.

Anyone know why? And I wonder what would change.......:confused:

RedneckRye
09-15-2005, 20:53
The door would probably be locked unless you were a member and had a reservation.

Red Hat
11-14-2005, 12:55
Thought I would check this out, so I emailed Queen Diva at the hostel. This is her reply:

"Bears Den is not for sale, but our lease is up at the end of the year. PATC is in the process of leasing us in the new year. Nothing will change but leaser's. "

So, Queen Diva will still be there and the hostel will continue as it was. Yea!

QHShowoman
11-15-2005, 13:06
The door would probably be locked unless you were a member and had a reservation. Huh? With the exception of a few rental cabins that are limited to PATC members only (the majority of the cabins they rent are available to the general public for reservation on a first come, first served basis), none of the AT shelters maintained by the PATC require reservations or PATC membership. This isn't like the hut system in the Whites.

Sly
11-15-2005, 13:29
And the hiker cabin at the PATC's Blackburn Center is always open.

partly cloudy
01-13-2006, 21:36
I'm sitting in the hiker's room at Bear's Den Hostel right now, writing this. The hostel is owned by the ATC and leased to PATC. Queen Diva is a trip. Couldn't ask for anyone better to run a hiker's hostel. This place is open year round, and your always welcome. $13.00 per night per person. Clean bunks, clean restroon with shower, clean linnens to go along with the shower, and clean bedding. Readin' material about the trail, washer & dryer, extra cloths if ya need them. You tell me if you can get a better deal from better people.

wolf
04-09-2006, 19:11
how far off the trail is the hostal

wolf
04-09-2006, 19:11
we will be there in sept,third week in sept

weary
04-09-2006, 19:14
how far off the trail is the hostal
If I remember rightly, maybe 500 yards.

MedicineMan
04-09-2006, 21:19
it is between Bear's Den and the Blackburn Center--hiking miles and driving miles? Thanks!

Krewzer
04-09-2006, 23:10
...have they still got Cherry Garcia in the fridge????

BlackCloud
04-10-2006, 11:58
it is between Bear's Den and the Blackburn Center--hiking miles and driving miles? Thanks!

it's <.1 miles hiking from the AT. As for driving, I don't know the miles but I do know that you'll have to pay a couple fo bucks to park...

tgrundAT09
04-01-2008, 05:04
I volunteered here a few years back and it was a great place. I've also visited the Blackburn Trail Center. I'd tell everyone to visit both, but they are on 8 miles apart. If you need a short day and want two straight nights of great hospitality, here is your chance.

Rockhound
04-01-2008, 13:24
passed through there last year and i must say its a must stay for thru hikers. looks like an old castle, very close to the trail and last year they had a deal running. for $25 you get your bunk, shower, laundry, internet access, a personal size tombstone pizza, a pint of ben & jerrys ice cream and a soda. sweet deal

Newb
04-02-2008, 08:55
It's the perfect end to the rollercoaster.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 08:56
what rollercoaster ?

Ashman
04-02-2008, 09:28
Wolf have you hiked that section? I have seen you pooh pooh the rollercoaster before. Is that because you did it and didn't think it was a big deal? Not trying to be mean or anythingm just genuinely want to know why you think it is no big deal.

wilconow
04-02-2008, 09:29
i think the "rollercoaster" is no big deal but it doesnt end at bears den. across route 7, the ups and downs continue

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 09:33
Wolf have you hiked that section? I have seen you pooh pooh the rollercoaster before. Is that because you did it and didn't think it was a big deal? Not trying to be mean or anythingm just genuinely want to know why you think it is no big deal.

i've hiked it many times. it really is not tough at all. i don't get all the hoopla especially from the maintainers for that area. obviously they've never hiker the northern end of the Long Trail or southern Maine on the AT

weary
04-02-2008, 12:32
i think the "rollercoaster" is no big deal but it doesnt end at bears den. across route 7, the ups and downs continue
I read Wingfoot's guide and kept watching for the roller coaster, but never really found it. Suddenly I was in Harpers Ferry, where they were reenacting the Civil War.

Weary

Alligator
04-02-2008, 12:47
I read Wingfoot's guide and kept watching for the roller coaster, but never really found it. Suddenly I was in Harpers Ferry, where they were reenacting the Civil War.

WearyAre you sure it wasn't a flashback:D.

Red Hat
06-09-2008, 10:19
Just found out that the caretakers there are now Hopeful and Redwing from 2005. They had been caretakers at the Blackburn Center, but have moved. Great people and have a daughter called "Hikelet".

BlackCloud
06-09-2008, 12:46
Just found out that the caretakers there are now Hopeful and Redwing from 2005. They had been caretakers at the Blackburn Center, but have moved. Great people and have a daughter called "Hikelet".

I hope that's the daughter's trail name......

Red Hat
06-09-2008, 17:26
I hope that's the daughter's trail name......
yes, trail name, as are "redwing" and "hopeful".. that's why I said "called" not "named"....

Appalachian Tater
06-09-2008, 17:35

WearyIf there hadn't been a sign AFTER the roller coaster warning southbounders about it, I wouldn't have noticed it either. I believe the name is an attempt to lend interest to an otherwise fairly unremarkable area.

A-Train
06-09-2008, 19:30
If there hadn't been a sign AFTER the roller coaster warning southbounders about it, I wouldn't have noticed it either. I believe the name is an attempt to lend interest to an otherwise fairly unremarkable area.

Definately one of the dullest sections of the whole trail if not #1.

rafe
06-09-2008, 21:09
Definately one of the dullest sections of the whole trail if not #1.

Yeah, somewhat. I was just mildly annoyed... but in truth I was anxious to get to Front Royal, and anxious to get to Shenandoah N.P. Plus it was hot. And Dicks Dome shelter sucked. So my patience was running low...

Blissful
06-09-2008, 21:23
We met them at Blackburn a few years back, great people.

The rollercoaster is quite dull which is why we did in autumn in late October and I'm glad we did. For a thru hiker, you probably would never even notice it unless you are currently doing it in this heat.

aquaman1208
08-30-2009, 17:58
Planning a hike there this fall everything still the same?

Toolshed
09-13-2009, 19:18
Yes. Blackburn is open. Bears Den still run by Hopeful and redwing. Very nice hosts. Still $25 for night, pizza, shower, laundry, coke and a B&J.

StarLyte
09-13-2009, 19:31
That will be a sweet hike.