PDA

View Full Version : Carry syringe with squeeze?

swonut
03-14-2014, 11:30
I was thinking about ditching it, but then read a journal about how having a pump allowed the group to easily get at the trickle source. I figured the syringe and a short length of tube would do the same. Also thought about just sucking it through the squeeze, but that makes filling the water bottles problematic.

Thoughts? Is it worth the weight, or am I solving a problem that doesn't exist often enough to need a solution.

Thanks!

Odd Man Out
03-14-2014, 11:49
Wouldn't want to use the syringe to suck up dirty water. When used for backflushing, you need to use clean water since you are forcing water into the clean side of the filter. Sucking water through the filter might work, but you would have to have an air-tight seal. On my Sawyer mini, the syringe doesn't set air tight on the clean-side nipple and is hard to seal with the provided hose.

Some people have reported getting a small cheap water bladder from the dollar store and cutting the top off. This gives a collapsible cup you can use to scoop up water from shallow sources.

I also have one of these

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=222

It is a bit of a brick, but is serves a couple of purposes. It is threaded to fit a standard soda bottle which also fits Evernew bladders. I can attach an Evernew bladder as a receive and I can use this as an unattended gravity filtration system. An added benefit is the syringe makes a tight fit on the adapter gasket so I can backflush with more pressure. Another option is to squeeze water from the clean side bladder on the adapter back through the filter, and backflush that way without the syringe. Not sure yet which backflushing method would be better.

HooKooDooKu
03-14-2014, 20:55
On a thru hike, I would think carrying the syringe would be a requirement to keep the mini back-flushed and clean... that is unless you're buying one of those mulitpacks and resupplying yourself with new mini's along the way (not a bad idea given that an entire mini cost less that many other filter's replacement cartridge).

bfayer
03-14-2014, 21:00
On a thru hike, I would think carrying the syringe would be a requirement to keep the mini back-flushed and clean... that is unless you're buying one of those mulitpacks and resupplying yourself with new mini's along the way (not a bad idea given that an entire mini cost less that many other filter's replacement cartridge).

Are we talking the Mini or the Original Squeeze?

On the mini, I agree you probably need the syringe. With the original squeeze I use a tornado tube. It allows me to back flush and allows me to attach the squeeze to the clean container to make it easier to filter water without spilling.

You do need a way to back flush whatever you do.

Paddlefoot
03-14-2014, 21:45
I didn't carry the syringe with my squeeze this summer on the Colorado Trail.

Maybe this is a stupid thing to do, but I backflushed the filter with several mouthfuls of clean water whenever it slowed a bit.

Seemed to work fine for the month I used it.

The few times I took water from shallow sources I just dipped with a cup.

Shonryu
03-15-2014, 11:18
Just get a water bottle or soda bottle and cut off the bottom to make a cut. I did this to a deer park bottle and it comes in under 0.01oz When your not using it press it down amd fold the bottom over and it will compress very small. As for backflushing I just fill my mouth up with clean water and blow it out several times. Has worked fine for me with no issues.

nu2hike
03-15-2014, 12:34
I never found the need to backflush with the original squeeze, but on my recent Florida Trail hike the Sawyer Mini clogged up on day two! Even with the syringe and back flushing the flow rate was compromised! I would never not carry the syringe. The amount of pressure you generate my blowing water through would not be enough! I could barely push it through with the syringe!
FWIW I prefiltered all of my water twice and it still clogged! YMMV

ocourse
03-15-2014, 20:14
With an easy mod, you can use your clean-water (flexible) pouch to backflush the filter. Just fabricate a connection from your drinking container to the output of the filter.

bfayer
03-15-2014, 20:20
With an easy mod, you can use your clean-water (flexible) pouch to backflush the filter. Just fabricate a connection from your drinking container to the output of the filter.

That is what a tornado tube is, see post #4.

SunnyWalker
03-17-2014, 00:32
Man, I carry the syringe or place it in my bounce box.

swales142
03-17-2014, 13:31
What is a tornado tube

Do what you wanna do...

Maui Rhino
03-17-2014, 15:39
I tried the tornado tube method of backflushing, but found that the syringe gave me a much stronger backflush and seems to clear the filter much better than the tornado tube. I prefer to carry my syringe.

Spiffyguy
03-17-2014, 16:30
I use 700ml smartwater bottle with the sport cap. It fits up to the output end of my mini. I tested that as a backflush option and seems like it will work.

lonehiker
03-17-2014, 16:38
According to a Sawyer representative, and I believe from their website as well, you want that first backflush each time to be quite forceful. Less than that may only unplug some of the "pores". Then subsequent squeezes may force water through already unclogged pores and not those still clogged.

bfayer
03-17-2014, 17:26
I tried the tornado tube method of backflushing, but found that the syringe gave me a much stronger backflush and seems to clear the filter much better than the tornado tube. I prefer to carry my syringe.

Good point, this gives me a reason to run some tests, I have fittings and a pressure gauge and I can compare the two and see if there really is a pressure difference. If I have a chance, I run the test and let you all know the results.

Odd Man Out
03-17-2014, 19:37
Good point, this gives me a reason to run some tests, I have fittings and a pressure gauge and I can compare the two and see if there really is a pressure difference. If I have a chance, I run the test and let you all know the results.

I thought about this too. With my set up, I can use either the syringe or squeeze the bag on the clean side. My gut tells me that you would get much more pressure from the syringe, but have failed to prove it with back of the envelope calculations. I need data. Let us know if you do the experiments and have measurements.

paraguay
03-17-2014, 20:54
I second SonnyWalker's opinion on placing it in a bounce box. I backflushed my original (not mini) Sawyer probably once a month and it was fine until about 4 months in when the threads started wearing and it became quite clogged. I was extremely happy with the performance and replaced it with another one. I also agree with Lonehiker's advice that you need to backflush it hard with the syringe.

krshome
03-18-2014, 23:31
Just buy the Sawyer mini double all you have to do is use a bottle or bag to back flush. I just use a bit of water from when I use it in gravity mode. You need to look close at the filter it's like one you have never seen.