PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get directly to Springer from ATL airport?

Nuggz
03-14-2014, 12:42
I have a reservation at the hiker hostel, but I'm arriving at the airport very early. Is there a shuttle service that will pick you up and drop you off?

DocMahns
03-14-2014, 13:01
I think I remember reading that the hiker hostel has a shuttle service. I don't remember exactly though. I'm going SOBO so I don't entirely pay too much attention to the springer starts.

RED-DOG
03-14-2014, 13:08
Joshua and Leigh does shuttle services and they should be able to pick you up at the Atlanta Airport and take you straight to the Hostel, If you already have an reservation at the Hiker Hostel all you have to do is call them and let them know what time to pick you up, Good Luck and Happy Hiking.

Trance
03-14-2014, 13:13
Hiker Hostel only goes to Springer then Amicalola at like 0900 in the morning if I remember.

tarantolk
03-14-2014, 13:14
I believe you need to take MARTA (subway) from the airport and they pick you at the North Springs station.

flemdawg1
03-14-2014, 13:14
Are you going to Springer or the Hostel? Did you try some of the other local shuttle drivers off the ATC list?

Nuggz
03-14-2014, 13:34
Since I'm arriving at the airport at 9:30am. I'd really like to go straight to Springer or the state park instead of staying in the hostel that night. Yes, the hiker hostel will pick me up and take me to the hostel, but I'm trying to go straight to Springer.

Sly
03-14-2014, 13:37
Are you going to Springer or the Hostel? Did you try some of the other local shuttle drivers off the ATC list?

Yeah, title says to Springer but they have a reservation at the hostel.

Like the others said you need to take Marta to station where they'll pick you up. Here's the link to the Thru-hiker Special for $80. You won't find a better deal. (you'd be lucky to get from the airport to Springer for less than $125)

http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

I'd try to change the flight to arrive in the afternoon, or check out some sights in the city til the shuttle.

Nuggz
03-14-2014, 13:37
Who is Josh and Leigh? How do I get a hold of them? I have a reservation at the Hiker Hostel, but I want to go directly to Springer. The hiker hostels website says shuttle service is for guest's only. Are you saying call them and they will take me directly to Springer anyway?

Nuggz
03-14-2014, 13:38
Thanks, but I already have a reservation with the Hostel. I'd really like to go straight to Springer instead.

Sly
03-14-2014, 13:50
You can try Survivor Dave, but I think he wants you to take Marta to North Springs station as well.

http://www.atsurvivordave.com/marta.html

If you get a hold of him, let us know the price.

Sly
03-14-2014, 13:52
Thanks, but I already have a reservation with the Hostel. I'd really like to go straight to Springer instead.

So I take it you'll be canceling your reservation if you can find a shuttle?

Almost There
03-14-2014, 14:10
Nobody is going to pick you up at the airport...unless you're willing to play like an extra $100+. Take the train to North Springs and then get picked up by Survivor Dave, he lives like 10 minutes from the station, so depending on when you get in, he'll take you to the lot on 42 if that is the way you want to go.

Sly
03-14-2014, 14:19
Nobody is going to pick you up at the airport...unless you're willing to play like an extra $100+. .

Actually, now that I think of it, I'll be passing through Atlanta and going right by the airport on 3/26 or 3/27 and could come up with a fair price if you're arriving on either of those days.

88BlueGT
03-14-2014, 14:20
posting just to bookmark...

Please keep this thread updated! :)

Slo-go'en
03-14-2014, 15:46
And of course, you have to walk to actually get to Springer, the closest you can get is .9 miles by auto :) (but we know what you mean).

The airport is on the wrong side of the city and traffic is insane around Atlanta, which is why everyone wants you to take MARTA to the north side of town to pick you up. Getting picked up at the airport would add at least an hour to the trip, which already takes a while. During the evening rush hour, it can take forever. Been there, done that.

If you can't hook up with Sly, your best bet is with Survivor Dave.

10-K
03-14-2014, 15:54
My mother is retired and lives outside of Griffin, just south of the airport on US 41.. Maybe hikershuttles.com needs a second location. :)

Nuggz
03-14-2014, 16:07
Thanks for the info guys. Of course I'll cancel the reservation if I make arrangements to get to the state park or within 10 miles of the state park. I'll be in Atlanta by 9:30am. Give me an hour or so to get to the North Springs Marta station and if I get picked up relatively soon, I'll be at the hostel by 2pm at the latest. I'll just be sitting around all day wishing I was on the trail.

Ideally I'd like to get picked up at the MARTA station and head straight to the state park. I'll get in touch with survivor dave and if I get any info, I'll be sure to let you guys know!

and Sly, I'm missing you by one day. I'm flying in on the 28th...

MkBibble
03-15-2014, 23:31
Don't wait to make arrangements. This time of the year shuttles are busy. It would suck to get in touch with dave only to find out that he's already droping somebody off at springer...

bigcranky
03-16-2014, 08:43
Given the vagaries of travel, with a 9:30 arrival time I would not expect to arrive at the Hiker Hostel before late afternoon. Collecting your pack, finding the metro station, waiting for the train, traveling, and then waiting to be picked up (and possibly waiting for some later arrivals; after all the HH folks only make one trip per day for obvious reasons.) I would further expect that getting a shuttle to Springer would put you there about the same time -- say, mid to late afternoon. It's highly doubtful that you could get a shuttle and be hiking by lunchtime.

So, for me the decision would be -- do I want to spend my first night in Georgia camped on top of Springer mountain, or at the Hiker Hostel? I suppose I could make a compelling argument either way, but for me the truth of the matter is that I liked the Hiker Hostel and would stay there again very happily. Waking up with a group of enthusiastic, if slightly nervous, hikers, enjoying a large breakfast, and watching the anticipation of the starting thru-hikers as we approached the parking lot on FS42 was a lot of fun.

FatMan
03-16-2014, 09:06
Arriving at ATL at 9:30 and getting to Springer by 3pm is a bit optimistic IMO. Too many variables at work here to even list. Do yourself a favor and go the tried and true method of staying at the Hiker Hostel.

rafe
03-16-2014, 09:09
So, for me the decision would be -- do I want to spend my first night in Georgia camped on top of Springer mountain, or at the Hiker Hostel?

Third option might be, camping at the top of the falls. Back in the old days it was MARTA from airport to bus station, then bus to Gainesville, then cab to the state park. Which would get you to the state park mid-afternoon.

bigcranky
03-16-2014, 14:05
Third option might be, camping at the top of the falls. Back in the old days it was MARTA from airport to bus station, then bus to Gainesville, then cab to the state park. Which would get you to the state park mid-afternoon.

True, or staying in the shelter behind the visitors center.