PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag question

hikernutcasey
03-14-2014, 15:52
Trying to help a buddy find a new sleeping bag on the cheap. Looking for a summer / 3 season type bag. REI deals of the week features a Halo 40 womens long with the following specs:

EN men rating = 28 degree
Weight = 26 oz
750 goose down
12.3 fill weight
Fits length 72"
Shoulder = 58"
Hip = 58"

Those are almost the same specs as my Halo 25 degree except mine has a little more fill and is EN rated down to 23 degrees. Now, the only thing I can find that makes it "women's" is the hip girth is 3 inches more than mine. Even though it is listed as a 40 degree bag I'm thinking that's because the EN women's rating on it is 37 degrees but if the EN men is 28 he would be cool with that.

And here's the best part...the price is only $109.73!!!

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't this work for a dude. As long as he is cool with the color (light green and gray) what difference does it make?

HooKooDooKu
03-14-2014, 16:58
REI has the Men's Halo 40 Long (http://www.rei.com/product/847497/rei-halo-40-sleeping-bag-long-special-buy) for the same price.

hikernutcasey
03-14-2014, 20:13
I think you may have missed my point in wanted that particular bag. The men's Halo is EN rated at 37 degrees and the women's is EN rated at 28 degrees. That's the reason we are looking at the women's bag.

bfayer
03-14-2014, 20:31
Trying to help a buddy find a new sleeping bag on the cheap. Looking for a summer / 3 season type bag. REI deals of the week features a Halo 40 womens long with the following specs:

EN men rating = 28 degree
Weight = 26 oz
750 goose down
12.3 fill weight
Fits length 72"
Shoulder = 58"
Hip = 58"

Those are almost the same specs as my Halo 25 degree except mine has a little more fill and is EN rated down to 23 degrees. Now, the only thing I can find that makes it "women's" is the hip girth is 3 inches more than mine. Even though it is listed as a 40 degree bag I'm thinking that's because the EN women's rating on it is 37 degrees but if the EN men is 28 he would be cool with that.

And here's the best part...the price is only $109.73!!!

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't this work for a dude. As long as he is cool with the color (light green and gray) what difference does it make?

No I don't think you are missing anything. My daughters Halo 40 has more loft than my MB #3 which is EU rated at 30F.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2014, 20:55
Welcome hikernutcasey! you didn't miss anything... But the members hava a good point... you asked a good question and they provided a second point of view... keep in mind you are making a recommendation... why not recommend both and let your buddy decide? Also if you can go to the store and make sure they lie down on the floor and try it on... silly huh? They are buying a bag for the rest of their life, it has to fit comfortably. A womans bag can be shorter or a change in shape. If they flop down their feet and sleep on their back the hood will pull down and be uncomfortable.

slbirdnerd
03-15-2014, 10:33
Guys use girls' gear and girls use guys' gear all the time. Get what works for you.