PDA

View Full Version : Cheese

Trail Dog
01-10-2003, 14:16
Ok so what cheese should i bring? what will last after i cut it up into cubes and put it in my pack?
thanks

RagingHampster
01-10-2003, 14:29
This will probably get me killed, but I hate cheese except for mozzarella and parmesean. I also like cheddar, but only when its baked in things like biscuits and crackers.

Yes this means I hate mac & cheese, a so called hikers staple.

I do bring grated parmesean cheese though. Toss it on any pasta will olive oil and black pepper for a quick meal.

DebW
01-10-2003, 15:27
Harder cheeses last better than soft cheeses. I've had good luck with provologne lately. And it's best not to cut it up until you use it (except in winter, when you'd better cut it before it freezes solid).

Lone Wolf
01-10-2003, 15:36
Well Raging, I got you beat. The ONLY cheese I eat are Chee-tos. No pizza, mac&cheese, cheeseburgrs,etc., etc.

prozac
01-10-2003, 16:38
I like to pick up individually wrapped mozzarella ( called string cheese around here ) that are the shape of small cigars. No refrigeration needed and keep forever. Also come packaged with pepporoni sticks. Make great individual snacks or can be added to dinner to jazz it up.

offshegoes
01-10-2003, 21:41
I haven't tried it but I heard cheese lasts a lot longer if you don't handle it. So instead of cutting it up into cubes maybe try just leaving it in the package and not touching the part you're not about to eat. Like I said I just heard this from someone else but they said that even though the cheese would get all greasy it would say good to eat for quite a while.

Jumpstart
01-13-2003, 17:56
We found that the sharper the cheese, the longer it lasted. Also, if you buy the cheese that comes sealed in wax, it seemed to last a lot longer than pre-cut cubes or whatever. Leave it as whole chunk and it will last much longer than in little chunks. We also had great luck with string-cheese...always satisfied that cheese craving and it never spoiled. Probaably because it's all preservatives;) Uusally, though, cheese was never a problme, we had eaten it all by the first day out fo town! :D

PushingDaisies
01-13-2003, 21:17
I started out buying Chedder, but got sick of it and started getting Pepper Jack cheese.

Don't cut it up until just before you eat it.

Wander Yonder
01-14-2003, 01:49
I like the canned squirt cheese. It's heavy -- the contents are around 10 or 11 oz, but it will make 6-8 cheese and cracker lunches, which works out to a decent per meal weight. Add instant soup and you have a real meal.

Also, the canned cheese doesn't need refrigeration.

walkerat99
01-14-2003, 07:39
Lone Wolf, I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who does not like cheese. It amazes me that it seems cheese is added to everything automatically these days and I have found that now I have to state it everytime that I do not want cheese on a Whopper, or any burger joint it seems.

At any rate, glad to know I am not totally alone about the cheese issue..

Sincerely,
Ed

Peaks
01-14-2003, 09:02
Your diet needs a source of protien. If you don't like cheese, then get it some other way, such as from tuna or peanut butter. Read the labels.

But, back to the original question. what kind of cheese should I bring? The answer is the harder the cheese, the longer it's going to keep. That's why a sharp cheader is good to pack along, assuming that you like it.

sli74
01-15-2003, 16:42
Pushing Daisies,

How long did the Pepper Jack cheese last on the trail? Or was it long gone into your stomach before it even had a chance to spoil?
It is my favorite kind of cheese but I am afraid to carry it on the trail because it tends to spoil fast.

PushingDaisies
01-15-2003, 17:16
It would usually be gone in about 2 1/2 days. :) If you bury it in the middle of your pack it should be fine for a few day.

Most cheeses get a little oily if they are not refridgerated, so if this bothers you, stick it in a cool water source for a half-hour or so and it will harded up a little.

GreenTurtle
03-06-2003, 22:05
My goodness?! When will the madness end? Doesn't anybody LIKE cheese on this thread?! =)

Walkie Talkie
03-06-2003, 22:51
There isn't a cheese I don't get along with. Has anyone ever heard of cupcheese, it is runny and transparent just yummy on crackers. I will try to find a real good hard SUPER SHARP chedder.

MOWGLI
03-07-2003, 08:01
My mantra while hiking? Never leave town without cheese.

Hammock Hanger
03-07-2003, 10:07
Both of these cheeses do not need to be kept in the frig. They are soft processed cheeses that last awhile, well from food drop to food drop which is 5 days in my case. They can be spread on tortillas and pita like butter, melt well in anything you cook. I am not a big fan of processed cheese at home but it works well on the trail. It doesn't sperate and get all oily and smelly like some. The Laughing cow comes in plain, french onion & veggy, it also comes in a small round box with 8 individually wrapped cheese wedges. I usually find the Laughing Cow in the isle with the jerky in my store. HH

Redbeard
03-07-2003, 10:17
If you get the foamy stuff in a can, it say's it's mixed with enzymes. Pre dygested YUM!

Papa Bear
03-07-2003, 11:52
In contrast to most advice which is to carry hard cheese, I just love swiss and carry it every time I'm out.

I generally buy one of those sticks that are about 12 oz. and cut it in little cubes of about 2 oz. each. 2 oz. per day cause I love cheese.

I wrap the stick in absorbent paper, like a paper towel or a table napkin. This absorbs the excess "juice" and keeps it totally manageable. Then it goes in a zip lock so it doesn't mess up anything else.

Stays good 5 or 6 days no prroblem. Besides I like it best towards the end when it gets, how should I say "more well done".

rickb
03-07-2003, 18:09
As long as we are all speaking about cheese, here is a link...

http://jeff.pasleybrothers.com/images/cheese.htm

Not sure if the Trail goes right by the monument now or not. Anyway, its good to know the history along the Trail, right? Now, if only someone in Cheshire, MA would start up a Cheese Days festival during hiker season...

RIck B

Edit: I just looked at the picture again (scroll down) and think I got my answer to the AT question. That sure looks like an AT marker on the sign in the background!

Rhody Bill
03-07-2003, 21:36
I concur with those that suggest not opening or touching the cheese until you are ready to eat it. I also keep it (and chocolate and anything else prone to spoilage) inside my fleece with my water bladder in warm weather - streams and especially springs are usually cold enough to keep stuff from melting for quite a while. I prefer 1# blocks of cheddar or jalapeno jack.

Scamp
03-07-2003, 22:56
I used the individually wrapped processed
American cheese food product last year.
It comes in 8 oz. packages and you eat
it before it goes bad, even in summer.
It's pastuerized and wrapped so it lasts a while.
Other sources of protein: pepperoni or jerky
are good, as are powdered eggs.
Scamp

jojo0425
06-17-2003, 12:14
Everything tastes better with cheese!

I carry cheeze wiz stuff in the can that you press and the cheese squirts out. It's heavy, I know...but I can use one can for a couple of weeks and I know it will never melt, go rancid or turn green. :D

Smiley G

fwassner
08-24-2003, 09:36
While on the subject of cheese, can anyone tell me how long EDAM cheese wrapped in wax (and still in it's original wrapping from the store) will last in the refrig? I've had one in my frige for a very long time, and wondering whether I should pack it on my next trip or just throw it out and buy something else.

I like the idea of string cheese. Haven't had much experience with it, but will be taking some on my next trip, thanks to what I've learned here. The Pepperoni combo sounds real good.

MOWGLI
08-24-2003, 10:52
A block of cheese would always last 3-4 days, even in the hottest weather. I tended to gravitate to smoked cheeses (Gouda, Cheddar, etc) and they seemed to hold up longer.

Try a slice of cheddar on a Fig Newton or on a slice of apple, or with a bagel & peanut butter.

fwassner
08-24-2003, 11:18
But how long would the block last in the refrig?
I have one unopened in there for about 1-1/2 years!!
Is it worth opening?

psuruns10
08-25-2003, 01:00
Actually and article in this months backpacker maganizine about cheese...didnt get to read it yet been busy.

DebW
10-22-2003, 11:25
I discovered on my September Long Trail hike that smoked provologne is the perfect trail cheese. It tastes good, keeps well, and best of all, doesn't leave a gooey cheese mess on my swiss army knife - just leaves the knife a little oily.

IdahoDavid
10-22-2003, 13:56
More years back than I care to recall while backpacking in Scouts Mountain Houose made a powdered cheese spread that was really quite good. Mixed with a bit of water and spread on a pilot biscuit or other cracker it made a good lunch withsome dried fruit. In fact, it was the only Mountain House product I can say I actually enjoyed.

Does anyone have a good source for powdered cheese?

deeddawg
10-22-2003, 14:52
Originally posted by IdahoDavid
Does anyone have a good source for powdered cheese?
Haven't tried these myself, but here ya go:

http://www.annies.com/products/cheese.html

Bunchberry
10-22-2003, 15:00
Gourmet cheese is my favorite backpacking luxury -- costs money but not weight. I love going into a deli and saying, "I'm looking for some good cheese... I'm going to be outdoors for two weeks so it needs to keep really well." I've gotten some extremely funny looks, but also have had some great cheese samples.

My favorite hiking cheeses right now are aged gouda, mimolette (French cheese that comes in balls that look almost exactly like cantaloupes -- it's sharp, complex, bright orange and very hard), and good quality parmesan. This summer for a weeklong Vermont trip I bought a Spanish cheese which was aged wrapped in port wine-soaked cloths. I can't remember the name, but it was like a wine and cheese party on the hoof. Sharp cheddar is always good, but it doesn't keep as well as 3-year gouda. In general, I've found that the longer it's aged the better it keeps.

greyowl
10-22-2003, 15:22
I try to eat as much as a vegeterian as possible on the trail. This means I must get a lot of my protein from dairy products. I find that the harder the cheese the longer it lasts on the trail. Especially if it has a rind. Unfortunately most of these cheeses cannot be found in your local store. Right now I am on a smoked provolone kick. Great stuff. Take 1 flow tortilla shell and place in the bottom of a pot. Throw a litlte salsa on top (Salsa does not need to be refrigerated for a couple of days) and then add a little smoked provolone. Put the lid on the pot and put the pot over your alcohol stove for a couple of minutes. Remove from the heat after two or three minutes, open up the lid and enjoy.

Grey Owl

Doctari
11-28-2003, 19:24
I take: Cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, etc.

The softer the cheese, the shorter the time it will keep.

The larger the block, the better it will keep.

Don't cut it up, handle it as little as possible, keep it in the SEALED bag from the store if possible.

Naturally, keep it in a heavy duty plastic bag, keep it as cool as possible.

Doctari.

:dance

Lumberjack
11-29-2003, 04:31
While on the subject of cheese, can anyone tell me how long EDAM cheese wrapped in wax (and still in it's original wrapping from the store) will last in the refrig? I've had one in my frige for a very long time, and wondering whether I should pack it on my next trip or just throw it out and buy something else.

If by wax you mean that heavy plastic wax rind that encases the whole cheese then your good - so long as it isnt punctured and kept cool then they are almost indestructable.

edam if I recall is a fairly soft cheese so dont expect it to last very long once you remove the rind.

cabalot
12-01-2003, 22:21
the harder the cheese the longer it will last in most cases. the more u cut it up the more it exposed to oxygen, the faster it spoils. wax covered is the way to go, chedder, gouda, eden, bonbel.

add smoked gouda to your mac n cheese, wash down with dark beer or red wine.

Virginian
12-01-2003, 22:36
Keep it packed close to your water and it should be fine. A little oily on hot days but who cares?

woodswalker
01-27-2004, 17:27
Hi all,
I once spent seven weeks in NW Maine canoeing, we resupplied twice.
Cheese was one of the primary protein/flavor sources. To package it, we cut it into blocks, wrapped it in cheese cloth, and dunked it repeatedly in melted parrafin. Kind of like the way large wheels of cheese are shipped, just cut to the size we needed. Seemed to hold up fine for 10-14 days.

snuffleupagus
01-27-2004, 19:35
Ain't nothin like a great heap'n gob of limburger:banana (last's for weeks) slathered on a matza cracker topped w/sardines and pickles. LOL.........

Connie
06-28-2004, 22:59
No one mentioned individually wrapped "string cheese".

That stuff has a place in my pack and pockets.

If hot weather, it's gooey softness is just a good.

Jeremy
01-21-2005, 16:24
I tended to gravitate to smoked cheeses (Gouda, Cheddar, etc) and they seemed to hold up longer.
I agree, smoked cheese does not melt easily, it tastes awesome, and stays well for a long time. Smoked gouda is IMO the best!:D

WalkinHome
01-21-2005, 20:19
On the trail in 2000 I discovered Cabot's, Hunter's Seriously Sharp, a Vermont Cheddar Cheese. Man that stuff is good. It is now my day hike/maintenance trip lunch sandwiched in between sliced pepperoni. Don't have to worry about it spoiling as it does not hang around that long. LOL

Cookerhiker
02-28-2005, 17:49
Both of these cheeses do not need to be kept in the frig. They are soft processed cheeses that last awhile, well from food drop to food drop which is 5 days in my case. They can be spread on tortillas and pita like butter, melt well in anything you cook. I am not a big fan of processed cheese at home but it works well on the trail. It doesn't sperate and get all oily and smelly like some. The Laughing cow comes in plain, french onion & veggy, it also comes in a small round box with 8 individually wrapped cheese wedges. I usually find the Laughing Cow in the isle with the jerky in my store. HH
I also bring Laughing Cow on all my hikes and I've mailed it to myself on long section hikes with no ill effects. I bring Triscuits in a hard container and spread the cheese on them. Triscuits these days come in a variety of flavors with no trans fats. I'm starting a 6 day section hike Wednesday (Atkins-to-Pearisburg) and have packed Laughing Cow and Rosemary/Olive Oil-flavored Triscuits.

HH, I'd like to see your supermarket. Do you ride a kayak or raft to the isle where the cheese is?:)

hipo
02-28-2005, 18:01
well thats a melted subject!I only can keep it for a couple of days,at any case it just depends on the weather:banana Hipo

Smooth03
02-28-2005, 19:20
I haven't read the entire 500 posts since January of 2003 but for you cheese heads out there I've got a few tips.

First off get the dried tortellini. throw some dried knorrs pesto and you'll have everyone asking you for some extras.

secondly i would always buy a block of cheese for my first day or two our of town and when i get to wherever i was going i would throw it in the spring to harden it back up again. i wouldn't recommend leaving it over night as it will get stolen(i was terribly sad when i learned this the hardway) but nothing is better on a 90 degree summer day than cheese that is actually cold!

enjoy!

hambone
03-05-2005, 11:44
I have found the "string cheese" little indiviually wrapped buggers to be good.

Being a dedicated cheese addict, and cheddar my favorite, a high point of my life has been visiting the town of Cheddar in England. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon in '99. Unfortunately this was during the hoof and mouth disease epidemic and all of the hiking trails were closed. Cheddar is in a gorge. There are many caves in the walls, and the locals found that cheese ages very well inside a cave.

Excellent cheese! :D

More nearby, if you find yourselt in Vermont, Shelbourne farm (not Shelbourne Museum) has a working dairy operation and makes excellent cheddar. Cabot is also nice, and lately available in supermarkets in the northeast.