PDA

View Full Version : Costco recalls freeze-dried fruit snacks

WingedMonkey
03-14-2014, 19:09
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2014/03/14/costco-fruit-recall/6420753/

Costco shoppers who bought Kirkland Signature Real Sliced Fruit could get an unexpected, unwanted element in that product: salmonella.

Freeze-dried fruit maker Oregon Freeze Dry initiated a voluntary recall of Real Sliced Fruit cases marked with a Feb. 14, 2015 to March 11, 2015 "best by" date due, saying the food might be contaminated with salmonella. The recall involves nearly 60,000 cases, which each contain 20 single-serving pouches of dried fruits such as apples, strawberries and bananas.
Those who purchased the product were contacted by phone and mail about the potential issues, said the Food and Drug Administration. A letter explaining the recall was also posted on Costco's website.
The organism salmonella "can cause serious infections in young children, frail or elderly people and those with weakened immune systems," the letter said. "Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain."
No confirmed cases of salmonella poisoning have been reported, said the FDA.
Kirkland Signature Real Sliced Fruit currently for sale in Costco stores is safe to eat and no other products made by Oregon Freeze Dry are affected, said the FDA.
Customers who purchased the potentially contaminated fruit can return it to Costco for a refund.
Kirkland Signature is Costco's private-label brand. The store carries more than 300 products under that house brand, including luggage, pet food, bedding, baby formula, apparel and wine.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2014, 19:46
Thanks for the post...

rafe
03-14-2014, 21:14
Man, that's scary, I was just at Costco this afternoon, eying that stuff. I hope their almonds are OK, cuz I've got about 15 lbs. worth.

WingedMonkey
03-14-2014, 22:52
Man, that's scary, I was just at Costco this afternoon, eying that stuff. I hope their almonds are OK, cuz I've got about 15 lbs. worth.

They claim the fruit now on shelves is OK.