PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to Long Islang!!!

V Eight
03-14-2014, 22:26
Hey I've been hanging around here for a couple 3 years, and it has been very informative.
Well now I have moved from NC to Long Island, Suffolk County NY.(no I'm not crazy) I don't know anybody here except the people at work, and the last thing they are doing is long distance hiking. So, this is a shout out to anyone who might be out here, to give me outfitter ideas or any other info I should know concerning hiking in this area.

LionDog
03-14-2014, 22:44
Hello Tiquer, Welcome

Im from NYC! If your your looking to get out and Hike around the New York area, here is a link that will get you on your way. Plenty of trails to be found here so don't worry!

http://www.nynjtc.org

As for stores to buy gear, you will find many of the big box guys here in the city and NJ. If you want to know about some unique shops just shoot me a pm and I will steer you In the right direction.

Good Luck and Happy Trails!

atmilkman
03-14-2014, 22:55
Hey I've been hanging around here for a couple 3 years, and it has been very informative.
Well now I have moved from NC to Long Island, Suffolk County NY.(no I'm not crazy) I don't know anybody here except the people at work, and the last thing they are doing is long distance hiking. So, this is a shout out to anyone who might be out here, to give me outfitter ideas or any other info I should know concerning hiking in this area.
Give hikerboy57 a shout. He lives and works on Lawn Guyland. He hikes Harriman all the time and should be able to help you out.

rafe
03-14-2014, 23:00
Hello Tiquer, Welcome

Im from NYC! If your your looking to get out and Hike around the New York area, here is a link that will get you on your way. Plenty of trails to be found here so don't worry!

http://www.nynjtc.org

As for stores to buy gear, you will find many of the big box guys here in the city and NJ. If you want to know about some unique shops just shoot me a pm and I will steer you In the right direction.

Good Luck and Happy Trails!

Campmor's in New Jersey. I've always wanted to check out their store.

LIhikers
03-15-2014, 10:50
I'm also in Suffolk and here's what I know

Outfitters: There's an REI and an EMS in Carle Place (Nassau County) within a block or two of each other. In Huntington Station there's a gun/hunting shop that has some useful things. Also a number of places in NYC but I've never been to any of them. Campmor is not far from the George Washington Bridge, in NJ.

Hiking: there are a few trails on Long Island. Nassau-Suffolk Trail that cross the island from Cold Spring Harbor to Massapequa, about 22 miles. Long Island Green Belt Trail crosses the island from Sunken Meadow State Park to Heckscher State Park, about 32 miles. Pine Barrens Trail from Rocky Point to Hampton Bays, about 47 miles. Suffolk also has many acres of undeveloped park land you can day hike in. There's no legal camping in any of them. The Long Island Greenbelt Trail Conference has maps available for a lot of what I mentioned plus they run a lot of day hikes in those areas. You can also get a map of the DEC land in Rocky Point from the DEC, Long Island Region http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7809.html
To be able to legally do an overnighter Harriman State Park or the AT in northern NJ are the closest options. Then there are the Catskills farther north and beyond them the Daks. There's an active AMC chapter in NY that runs day hikes, backpacking trips as well as bicycling, canoeing and other activities. They even have a cabin on Fire Island that members can use (I think) I've never participated with the AMC so I don't have any real details.
Hope that helps
Paul

Starchild
03-15-2014, 11:27
Check out Meetup.com, put in your zip and 'hiking' as your activity, you will be amazed on how active hiking groups are. I belong to several and organize for one. Also you can check out ADK - Long Island chapter, I used to lead for them, good group of people.

q-tip
03-15-2014, 12:08
I moved from LI last year, found NOBODY local to hike with. I used to do Harriman and Bear Mountain areas lots by myself, which is ok. I did get involved with the hiking club in NYC and they were the best bunch of folks. Lots of fun. Also, I asked the county parks commissioner about overnight backpacking in county parks. He was pretty emphatic that was not going to happen due to increased security costs form drinking. The good news, I hiked lots anyway and found it important to schedule my coming and goings off LI to minimize traffic congestion. The NY hiking club is a blast.....

V Eight
03-15-2014, 16:55
Hey, Thanks everyone. I just leased a house in Stony Brook, but will not be making the actual move until late April.
It's going to take that long to everything ready. I have been here a couple weeks, with a new job. I did not bring much of anything in terms of gear, but I did see that a Mall not far away had a Dicks so I should be able to pick up a couple things.

Ender
03-15-2014, 17:13
Harriman is a great area to hike, tons of trails that you can loop in many different way. I go there all the time. If you don't feel like bringing your car up there and parking it overnight, it's also really easily accessible via NJ Transit trains... just go to the Tuxedo station, you're less than a mile from the park on foot via quiet town roads (and it's marked with blazes to show you the way). Pick up the Harriman guidebook and maps.

If you're willing to take a drive, Campmor is right over in New Jersey, and is definitely worth checking out.

Weather-man
03-15-2014, 18:19

It's bit of a drive but NJ has Ramsey Outdoor and Campmor. Both are about an hour from you, depending on traffic. I lived in the upstate area ( Rockland) for a few years and Campmor was my go-to and drool store. There's also Paragon in the city, just North of Union Square park, which used to have a great selection of serious gear. Not sure about now as it's been almost 40 years since I visited that store. Bought my Svea 123 there....$11 plus tax!

You've got Bear Mountain and Harriman which are my old stomping grounds. Lot's of winter camping in those parks. If I had my druthers I'd head up to the Shawnagunks by New Paltz. Great hiking, climbing, biking,etc..up there and NP is a nice little college town.

V Eight
03-15-2014, 22:47
It's bit of a drive but NJ has Ramsey Outdoor and Campmor. Both are about an hour from you, depending on traffic. I lived in the upstate area ( Rockland) for a few years and Campmor was my go-to and drool store. There's also Paragon in the city, just North of Union Square park, which used to have a great selection of serious gear. Not sure about now as it's been almost 40 years since I visited that store. Bought my Svea 123 there....$11 plus tax!

You've got Bear Mountain and Harriman which are my old stomping grounds. Lot's of winter camping in those parks. If I had my druthers I'd head up to the Shawnagunks by New Paltz. Great hiking, climbing, biking,etc..up there and NP is a nice little college town.

$11 bucks for a Seva I think that is what I paid for my 1st one in a hardware store in Iowa 35 years ago! I think I still that have stove (somewhere?). I have been checking out a day hikes for Sunday. There are a lot of 5 to 10 mile loops, I've found with help from a couple of the previous posts ( thanks Paul) I knew I could count on the good people on here to get me started. Yes, Campmor is on my short list of places to get to.

LIhikers
03-15-2014, 23:39
tiquer,

The real question is what in the world ever brought you to Long Island. It's crowded, hectic and most people are under too much stress. I know that at my first opportunity I'm moving to the continental U.S. Any trip from the island starts with a pre-trip, trip, just to get to a bridge or tunnel so that you can get to the main land. Anyway, good luck at the new job and maybe well meet someday.

atmilkman
03-16-2014, 09:48
$11 bucks for a Seva I think that is what I paid for my 1st one in a hardware store in Iowa 35 years ago! I think I still that have stove (somewhere?). I have been checking out a day hikes for Sunday. There are a lot of 5 to 10 mile loops, I've found with help from a couple of the previous posts ( thanks Paul) I knew I could count on the good people on here to get me started. Yes, Campmor is on my short list of places to get to.
I'll give you $12 for that Svea and pay shipping. I'll even send you a Whitebox alcohol stove in return.

devil dog
03-18-2014, 19:11
Welcome to beautiful Long Island. I live the next town over in Setuaket. Lots of day hikes here on LI but back country overnight requires going upstate or NJ (or further). Harriman is great and the Catskills are great! Just did an overnight this past weekend in Harriman. For really local, you should check out the East Setauket trails off Belle Meade (I do work there as a asst. trail steward). Both west and east side of the road are marked and you just park on the side of the road and start walking(black loops are best for hiking). Go to climbonline.org for info on all the mtn bike trails that can be used for hiking as well. You can also do some great day hikes along the north shore if you don't mind walking beaches. Some great ones are to Pirates Cove, Flax Pond, or just park in West Meadow and start walking. If you have a kayak day trips along the coast are insane! Stealth beach sleeping is also an option! Good luck, hit me up if you need some info.

carterman81
03-18-2014, 21:40
I live in Nassau County. Best hiking in Nassau is Muttontown Preserve, most rugged it will get in Nassau. Massapequa Preserve is a nice hike. As someone said EMS and REI are the only outfitters in the area.
My favorite hike on the AT is off of 17a near Suffern. It's a nice hike with great views at Cats Rock and the Eastern Pinnacles and if you extend the hike,Fitzgerald Falls is a beautiful waterfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIhikers
03-19-2014, 00:01
Wow, I didn't know there were this many Whitblaze members local to Long Island.
Maybe once the weather settles down we should get together or a walk.

LIhikers
03-19-2014, 00:02
.....for a walk, that should read.

Other
03-19-2014, 03:35
Consider Blydenburg Park. While at school at nearby Stonybrook U. I used to walk around its pond. A little over 5 miles as I recall. I really felt I was back home a bit. I strongly recommend,

devil dog
03-19-2014, 10:52
Forgot to mention there is some primitive camping on Fire Island. Need to pick up a overnight permit on arrival and hike out. Haven't done it, so maybe someone has a little more info on a trip that may be good ... or not ...

BillyGr
03-19-2014, 21:00
Forgot to mention there is some primitive camping on Fire Island. Need to pick up a overnight permit on arrival and hike out. Haven't done it, so maybe someone has a little more info on a trip that may be good ... or not ...

We did that with some Scouts, probably in the late 1990's. Took the ferry over, then hiked from there out into an area that had once had houses (you found lots of bits and pieces still around).

Only recommendation - don't do this when there are hurricane like winds in the forecast :) So much fun pitching tents in sand anyhow, then add lots of wind and .... you get the idea.

Another Kevin
03-19-2014, 21:29
Wow, I didn't know there were this many Whitblaze members local to Long Island.
Maybe once the weather settles down we should get together or a walk.

I'm an Upstater now, but if you're doing Harriman or something farther north, let me know! I'd love to hike with you and Tora again.

Feral Bill
03-19-2014, 22:22
I'm not sure Fire island isn't still cut in two by Hurricane Sandy, Best to ask NPS.

LIhikers
03-20-2014, 00:14
I'm not sure Fire island isn't still cut in two by Hurricane Sandy, Best to ask NPS.

I'm pretty sure it is. You can't walk to the backpacking area from Smith's Point any more, you have to take a ferry boat.

V Eight
03-23-2014, 19:58
Thanks again everyone. The deal in Stony Brook fell through at the last minute. So, we have been busy looking again.
A get together either in town or in some woods sounds good, after it warms up a little.