PDA

View Full Version : PCT Pack / Quilt Indecision

Whimsy
03-14-2014, 23:26
Hi all!
I'm after some advice re packs and quilts.
I'm leaning towards the ULA Circuit for a pack, but want to know how well this works with the bear cannister + synthetic quilt + extra food in those long cold stretches. By my basic rough calculations (including water and food) I will be around the 35lb range (with cannister etc) which is at the end of the circuits suggested range. Does anyone have experience with this pack at this weight?
My second question is regarding a quilt. I'm looking at the enLightened prodigy (I'm only interested in synthetic) - is the 20* quilt the way to go? I'm also at the cusp of sizes for length, so if anyone has this quilt & can attest to how the length was (ie lengths are generous or better to upsize) that would be awesome.

Cheers!

fireneck
03-14-2014, 23:32
On my AT hike in 2012 I had my circuit loaded up well over 35 pounds. If you have the weight evenly disrupted you can totally make it work. You could always make your own quilt.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

Miner
03-15-2014, 00:04
I used a ULA Circuit in 2009. I had a bear can + 9 days of food at one point and had no comfort issues. I think I had about 36lbs at that point. I used a 20F down quilt and was happy with it but no experience with the quilt in question. I'm a side sleeper so my legs are rarely stretched out all the way, so I prefer a more generous width then length. If you are a back sleeper then the length may or may not be an issue. As a general rule, I never pull my quilt above my mouth as I don't want condensation inside it. Keeping my head warm was the job of my balaclava.

Coffee
03-15-2014, 03:22
I used a ULA Circuit on the JMT last year with a bear can (Bearikade, custom 12 inch) and carried about 34 pounds total weight after the largest resupply at MTR. The pack performed better in the high 20s to 30 than at the max but it was just fine for the couple of days above 30. Personally, I wouldn't want to routinely carry 35 pounds in the Circuit and would opt for the Catalyst at that level but I do plan on using the Curcuit on the PCT next year since I anticipate approaching 35 pounds only a few times in the Sierra and almost always being under 30.

Odd Man Out
03-15-2014, 10:16
I just bought a Underground Quilt. Can't give you reviews as I have not had the chance to use it yet. But the owner was very helpful in answering for me many of the same questions you have. Also, they now offer waterproof treated down for only a small extra cost which might be a good alternative to synthetics.

juma
03-16-2014, 06:55
I ordered and handled the 30* EE prodigy and decided it was too light. returned it and got the 20* which I am happy with. the lengths are what they specified to be. I have about 5 years with quilts and prefer one long enough to put over my head/not face if needed. my feeling is that it really adds to the warmth if you need it.

Whimsy
03-25-2014, 03:38
Cheers for your answers!

Malto
03-25-2014, 11:12
My experience on the PCT would indicate that a 20deg quilt was perfect. Would carry the same again if thru hiking the PCT.