PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater sleeping bag by Alps Mountaineering?

Morning Glory
09-15-2005, 12:15
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/Clearwater.htm

Anyone have any experience with this bag? It just seems so inexpensive, and it is pretty lightweight.

TN_Hiker
09-15-2005, 16:39
I haven't had any experience with this particular bag, but have dealt w/ ALPS over the last couple of years as a Scoutmaster and supplying Scouts w/ decent gear at a decent price. I have been very impressed w/ the quality of their other sleeping bags along w/ packs and tents. The marketing hype you find on their website is not hype at all, but factual----at least imao

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-15-2005, 16:56
Alps Sleeping bags aren't the lightest of the punch but they are high quality, and I get them extra cheap due to Scoutmaster Discounts ( www.scoutdirect.com )

I have one of theirs... thinking about making it into a quilt/underquilt some day

mbroadhe
09-28-2005, 01:12
Yep, I tested the bag back in April/May. Some of the review is in their testimonial section. The good - not overly heavy, cheap for what you get, kept me warm down to 35 with long johns on, excellent craftsmanship. The bad - doesn't roll with you when you roll (found myself waking up at night facing the inside of the hood), drawstring is cheap looking (think cheap shoestring), wish it had a draft zipper, and the compression sack is well made but on the heavy side. Let's put it this way, when they approved me to test the bag, they automatically took 40% off the price. I had to send a review within one month. Then I was to send a second review within 3 months. After they received the second review, I was to call them and they would reimburse my credit card another 20%. Well, I decided not to call them back because I thought the bag was well worth the price I paid for it at the 40% off mark. All in all a very nice bag that has seen a few over nighters and a week long trip along the AT since April '05. Still looks brand new and will be in the pack next year. Oh yeah, I have the 35 reg. and I'm 6', 150 lbs. It's perfect for this height. If your any taller, get the long.

TOW
09-28-2005, 02:18
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/Clearwater.htm

Anyone have any experience with this bag? It just seems so inexpensive, and it is pretty lightweight.
i can see that thing ain't made for a fat boy...........

mbroadhe
09-28-2005, 23:31
Actually, it's quite roomy. You're not going to fit in it if your 350 lbs or anything. But at that point, you probably have enough insulation to sleep on the ground in the middle of a snow storm naked and stay warm.