PDA

View Full Version : Safe Parking spot in Harpers Ferry

mmais68569
03-15-2014, 19:01
I am planning to do a 3-4 week section hike ending in Harpers Ferry. Question where is a good safe place to leave a car for that time period.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

Deer Hunter
03-15-2014, 20:53
You can park at the Harpers Ferry National Histrorical Park visitor center. Can't remember right off hand how much it costs or how long you can park.

HikerMom58
03-15-2014, 21:01
You can park at the Harpers Ferry National Histrorical Park visitor center. Can't remember right off hand how much it costs or how long you can park.

I can't remember either, DH but I know the parking lot is big. I would call the ATC office and ask.

Mike- why do you call yourself Mr. Mean?

Teacher & Snacktime
03-15-2014, 21:02
It was $10 last September....but you can always check the NPS website.

Deer Hunter
03-15-2014, 21:09
From ATC website:

Tip: parking in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm) allows hikers to park at their Visitors Center for up to 2 weeks. Contact the Park for more information: (304) 535-6298.

mmais68569
03-16-2014, 07:20
I can't remember either, DH but I know the parking lot is big. I would call the ATC office and ask.

Mike- why do you call yourself Mr. Mean?

Hikermom58 that is my trail name & here is the story where it came from.

First the avatar I use looks like the old man I am huffing & puffing up the mountains. Anyway the story:

Back in the 1970's to mid 80's (probably before your time) I was manager for the F.W. Woolworth co. at that time it was proper to address the manager by Mr. (their last name) so sometimes I was in a bad mood or being a real a$% that day so my employees gave me the nickname Mr. Mean. When I started hiking about 6 years ago I tried other trail names & none seemed to fit so it was back Mr. Mean.

As Paul Harvey used to say " Now you know the rest of the story"

Mike

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 08:32
Hikermom58 that is my trail name & here is the story where it came from.

First the avatar I use looks like the old man I am huffing & puffing up the mountains. Anyway the story:

Back in the 1970's to mid 80's (probably before your time) I was manager for the F.W. Woolworth co. at that time it was proper to address the manager by Mr. (their last name) so sometimes I was in a bad mood or being a real a$% that day so my employees gave me the nickname Mr. Mean. When I started hiking about 6 years ago I tried other trail names & none seemed to fit so it was back Mr. Mean.

As Paul Harvey used to say " Now you know the rest of the story"

Mike

Ha ha... yes, I do! :D Thanks for sharing it.

I remember Woolworth stores. I loved the one in my hometown Plymouth, NH. It had old wood floors & I just loved to go in to look around.

Okay Mr. Mean it is... ;) And a warm welcome to Whiteblaze! :)

Del Q
03-16-2014, 09:38
I parked at the Comfort Inn, believe it was for 10 days, stayed there that night - when I was done, got in my car, ate in Harpers Ferry and drove home. Owner was very nice and OK with me leaving my car at the back of the parking lot

MDSection12
03-16-2014, 11:16
National Park lot is the easy answer, just call for details... They've been very helpful to me in the past, and may overlook your doubling of their maximum stated timeframe. Other than that I'd just call local businesses and see if they'll give you permission. The ATC allows parking behind the building, but only for weekends.

Bearleg
03-16-2014, 20:32
i stayed at the Tea horse hostel, and left my car there for my section hike, the year before i left it at the National Park. be careful, if you finish and the park is closed you will not be able to get your car out due to gates.

FarmerChef
03-16-2014, 20:41
As everyone has stated just ask the NPS. They are very accommodating. You may still have to pay for entry into the park (I have a NPS pass so I don't recall) but it's negligible. If you're really, really concerned about it or they won't let you park that long (they probably will) consider parking up at Weverton Cliff. It is not within the park boundary so you can leave it there as long as you like. As with any parking spot, remove any valuables or leave them hidden out of sight.

Another option is the Key's Gap parking on VA/WV Rt.9. It has plenty of parking and is only 6 miles outside town (to the south). If you didn't want to bust out those six miles it's a pretty cheap shuttle to take you from HF there.

Check out the Rohland's parking site (http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/). This is my go to parking site for my section hikes and has served us well over the entirety of the trail so far.

If all else fails, PM me. I might have another option.

MDSection12
03-16-2014, 20:46
As everyone has stated just ask the NPS. They are very accommodating. You may still have to pay for entry into the park (I have a NPS pass so I don't recall) but it's negligible. If you're really, really concerned about it or they won't let you park that long (they probably will) consider parking up at Weverton Cliff. It is not within the park boundary so you can leave it there as long as you like. As with any parking spot, remove any valuables or leave them hidden out of sight.

Another option is the Key's Gap parking on VA/WV Rt.9. It has plenty of parking and is only 6 miles outside town (to the south). If you didn't want to bust out those six miles it's a pretty cheap shuttle to take you from HF there.

Check out the Rohland's parking site (http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/). This is my go to parking site for my section hikes and has served us well over the entirety of the trail so far.

If all else fails, PM me. I might have another option.
Excellent advice all around. I hadn't thought of Weverton, but that's an easy (but dull) three miles to HF and seems like a safe lot. I park there for overnights all the time.

Lauriep
03-16-2014, 21:15
To park in the Harpers Ferry NHP lot you just need to pay the $10 park entrance fee. As others have noted, the lot is sometimes gated overnight.

I would not recommend parking at Weverton and especially Keys Gap for an extended period. Weverton has had vandalism occasionally, and Keys Gap has a long history of problems (although sometimes as much as a year or more has gone by without a report of vandalism). Having an out-of-state license plate is not a plus anywhere, especially for Keys Gap.

Tim Causa
03-17-2014, 12:50
I have parked in all of the spots people say to avoid as a result of vandalism. Weverton, tye river, 522; each time I asked locals and they said they haven't heard of any problems, and each time never had any issues. Only place my window was ever broken; Richmond, Virginia.

I'm not saying it never happens, just that you're way more likely to be cold on your hike or have some trail injury than have your car broken into. Practice the basics; lock doors, make interior look empty, and park legally.

RangerZ
03-17-2014, 16:20
I parked at Weverton when I day hiked north to Cramptons Gap and back. There were some sketchy types there when I arrived. Turned out that they were sketchy day hikers like me.

Wouldn't park there for an extended hike tho.

Kodak-RM
03-21-2014, 12:54
Call Laurel at the Tea Horse Hostel. She allows you to park for a small fee. If you stay there she does not charge.

We stayed there on our hike last year of MD. Great Hostel to stay at the night before a hike.

http://www.teahorsehostel.com (http://www.teahorsehostel.com/)

dovecote
03-29-2014, 22:56
In my my experience, having lived in Harpers Ferry for 10 years, the two week maximum parking at the NPS lot is a firm practice. It is a convenient location and the safest place to deter potential vandalism to your vehicle.