PDA

View Full Version : New Franklin, NC Hostel

Ron Haven
03-16-2014, 00:08
Friends,
Now you have a choice in Franklin, NC. Click on this link if you are on a Budget (http://appalachiantrailservices.net/Havenshikerhostel.htm). We have bunks at $15 each per night per person. Call us for more details if needed. We also provide onsite laundry, wi-fi, bike rentals, snacks, fuel, guide books, maps and more.We have the same free 9am and 11am guest shuttles back to the trail heads at Winding Stair, Rock, and Wallace. Also around town at 4pm free for our guest just like Budget Inn and Sapphire Inn. If you call for a ride at other times, they will be a small shuttle fee.

Old Hiker
03-16-2014, 10:32
The bike rentals would be GREAT !! Depending, of course, on price. :) I hope you still have the shuttles in 2016 - I had an entertaining and very informative trip to and from the Trail. You were a great help.

I'm happy to see the single, private rooms as well. I kinda like quiet, alone time when sleeping.

Hope it's a success, Mr. Haven.

Ron Haven
03-16-2014, 21:46
The bike rentals would be GREAT !! Depending, of course, on price. :) I hope you still have the shuttles in 2016 - I had an entertaining and very informative trip to and from the Trail. You were a great help.

I'm happy to see the single, private rooms as well. I kinda like quiet, alone time when sleeping.

Hope it's a success, Mr. Haven. Come by, I will help you any way I can..

AT_Walker
03-17-2014, 21:45
I stayed at Ron's place in both Hiawassee and Franklin on my current thru. Bargain prices and treated very well. Highly recommend.

Follow me at:
2014nobo.wordpress.com

Ron Haven
03-18-2014, 08:26
I stayed at Ron's place in both Hiawassee and Franklin on my current thru. Bargain prices and treated very well. Highly recommend.

Follow me at:
2014nobo.wordpress.comthanks for your business A T - Walker, good luck on the trail.

DocMahns
03-18-2014, 08:29
Will you still be open late in the season for us SOBO-ers?

Trance
03-18-2014, 08:58
Had a great time at the Sapphire Inn in 2013 with a bunch of hikers.... try the mexican place across the street too... it's great!

slbirdnerd
03-18-2014, 10:35
Yay! See you in June!

Ron Haven
03-18-2014, 22:03
Will you still be open late in the season for us SOBO-ers?I will always find hikers a place to stay.....

lonehiker
03-18-2014, 22:13
If Mr. Haven is involved with a project/business, it will be well done.

Ron Haven
03-19-2014, 08:35
If Mr. Haven is involved with a project/business, it will be well done.thanks Lone Hiker.

gunner76
03-22-2014, 19:34
Nice job thanks

Ron Haven
03-23-2014, 13:53
Nice job thanksThanks Gunner 76, so far everyone who has stayed likes it.

Big Oz
03-23-2014, 23:25
Haven, your hostel sounds nice.

Ron Haven
03-25-2014, 23:24
Had a great time at the Sapphire Inn in 2013 with a bunch of hikers.... try the mexican place across the street too... it's great!Me and my family ate there today. Yes, Great Food !!!!!!

DocMahns
03-25-2014, 23:50
I will always find hikers a place to stay.....

Sounds awesome, look forward to meeting you guys!

FarmerChef
03-26-2014, 10:36
Planning to stop by in a few weeks on our section hike to finish south of the Smokies! Hoping to finally meet the legendary Ron Haven in person.

ericmcdaniel
04-11-2014, 23:33
Made it to Franklin today and didn't plan on staying in town overnight, just long enough to shower, do some laundry and resupply. Budget Inn was full and were told by the lady at the counter that the only shower possibility was across the street at the new hostel. We moseyed on over and paid $10 for two showers then watched the lady at the desk ask some of out friends who had a room there for $15 apiece if we could use their shower (the hostel's bunks and rooms were all taken). We took our showers and hung out for about 30 minutes outside the room with our friends quietly having a couple drinks with them and waiting for them to catch the shuttle from Ron. Lady behind desk comes to tell us there's "no hanging out allowed" and we assured her we weren't planning to sneak our way into a free bunk for the night, thinking that was the concern. Ron arrives with the shuttle and reiterates that unless you're a paying customer, you're not allowed to hang out with paying customers on his property (apparently this included the rooms themselves, something I've never encountered at a hotel anywhere). Mind you we weren't causing a public disturbance or anything. We were all tired from hiking anyway. He then offers to take us all to the buffet down the street and then to wal mart to resupply and back. We all go (a shuttle's worth of people). When he drops us at wal mart, he announces he'll be back to take everyone back to the hotel and hostel. Awesome. Then when he arrives, he refuses to let the two of us (who had committed the cardinal sin of "only" paying for a shower at his hostel and thinking it wouldn't be trespassing to spend thirty minutes with our fellow hikers) into the shuttle, and very publicly and embarrassingly threatens to "call the cops if I catch you on my property again." He then very begrudgingly allows us back onto the shuttle after we again assured him we had no intention of going anywhere near his hostel then makes a princely show of offering everyone else on the shuttle a ride anywhere they'd like in town. I'm not sure where he got such a wonderful reputation for "serving" the hiker community, but we didn't see any of that spirit on display today, just an obvious desire to wring as much as possible from all of us, and treating us like criminals who aren't to be trusted. I hope he's still following this thread and that anyone yet to hit Franklin thinks twice before patronizing his many businesses in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcoffeect
04-12-2014, 06:38
seems to me you got your five dollars worth.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2014, 07:01
if i were ron i would not offer showers only. just stay and pay only. too many hikers over the years sneaking in their pals for showers and floor space

HikerMom58
04-12-2014, 07:18
Made it to Franklin today and didn't plan on staying in town overnight, just long enough to shower, do some laundry and resupply. Budget Inn was full and were told by the lady at the counter that the only shower possibility was across the street at the new hostel. We moseyed on over and paid $10 for two showers then watched the lady at the desk ask some of out friends who had a room there for $15 apiece if we could use their shower (the hostel's bunks and rooms were all taken). We took our showers and hung out for about 30 minutes outside the room with our friends quietly having a couple drinks with them and waiting for them to catch the shuttle from Ron. Lady behind desk comes to tell us there's "no hanging out allowed" and we assured her we weren't planning to sneak our way into a free bunk for the night, thinking that was the concern. Ron arrives with the shuttle and reiterates that unless you're a paying customer, you're not allowed to hang out with paying customers on his property (apparently this included the rooms themselves, something I've never encountered at a hotel anywhere). Mind you we weren't causing a public disturbance or anything. We were all tired from hiking anyway. He then offers to take us all to the buffet down the street and then to wal mart to resupply and back. We all go (a shuttle's worth of people). When he drops us at wal mart, he announces he'll be back to take everyone back to the hotel and hostel. Awesome. Then when he arrives, he refuses to let the two of us (who had committed the cardinal sin of "only" paying for a shower at his hostel and thinking it wouldn't be trespassing to spend thirty minutes with our fellow hikers) into the shuttle, and very publicly and embarrassingly threatens to "call the cops if I catch you on my property again." He then very begrudgingly allows us back onto the shuttle after we again assured him we had no intention of going anywhere near his hostel then makes a princely show of offering everyone else on the shuttle a ride anywhere they'd like in town. I'm not sure where he got such a wonderful reputation for "serving" the hiker community, but we didn't see any of that spirit on display today, just an obvious desire to wring as much as possible from all of us, and treating us like criminals who aren't to be trusted. I hope he's still following this thread and that anyone yet to hit Franklin thinks twice before patronizing his many businesses in town.

Have heard reports from others about this same type of treatment before.....I don't understand it at all. :confused:

In his defense, I think he has been taken "over the barrel" many times. It's a trust issue.

If it were me, I would have given him $$ for the shuttle as well, since you weren't staying at his place.

What is confusing to you, I'm sure, is that he offered you a shuttle, for free, but then treated you badly after you took him up on his offer. I don't understand that. That's not acceptable behavior, IMHO.

It's not something that is discussed much but hikers can be taken advantage of and "milked" for every penny too.
We mostly talk about how hikers try to take advantage of service providers.

It's hard to tell what's really going on sometimes.

lonehiker
04-12-2014, 08:49

I suspect there is more to this story..... I would patronize Mr. Haven's businesses in a heart beat.

sheepdog
04-12-2014, 11:31
Ron is top notch and a hikers friend. If there is problem between someone and Ron. I'd suspect someone was the problem.

Lugnut
04-12-2014, 11:36
WB needs a 'Like" button.

bigmac_in
04-12-2014, 19:20
I would have to agree with Sheepdog on this one. Seems like every year someone gets on here and bashes Ron. I guarantee there is always more to the story. Ron is a good man and has ALWAYS treated me, and thousands of other hikers, right.

TOW
04-12-2014, 19:30
That is so cool Ron! I am gonna post this onto my Crazy Larry's Hostel Group page!

ericmcdaniel
04-12-2014, 19:46
I wasn't trying to bash Ron. I'm sure he's a great guy, and nobody's perfect. I don't have any personal problem with him. But all that goodness that others talk about didn't come through in his interactions with some of our group, unjustifiably so I thought. That's all. No more, no less. Like everything else, ymmv.

HikerMom58
04-12-2014, 21:01
Where's the "like" button on WB? ^ Welcome to WB ericmcdaniel.

10-K
04-12-2014, 21:20
It's absolutely possible to have a bad experience with a good person/company. If you own a company or business you will eventually have an unhappy customer I don't care who you are - and I've never met a business owner who never had a bad day or did anything out of character.

It's impossible to be universally loved and adored and never make a mistake or do anything wrong - not many perfect people running around.

In the case of someone like Ron Haven I'd be willing to give him a 2nd chance.

Jeff
04-13-2014, 06:34
Good comments by 10-K !!!

Right now the thruhiker bubble is passing thru Franklin...that means 18 hour days/7 days a week for Ron. It is a real challenge to handle every hiker need during that period.

Desert Reprobate
04-13-2014, 21:29
I have to agree with Big Mac and Sheepdog. I've known Ron for a while now and he puts up with a lot more than I would. There is more to this story.

superman
04-15-2014, 14:11
I have to agree with Big Mac and Sheepdog. I've known Ron for a while now and he puts up with a lot more than I would. There is more to this story.

I agree with Sheepdog and Big Mac.

SafetyFirst
05-04-2014, 11:05
I was present for the EricMcDaniel incident. If we were teenage hoodlums intent on stealing services, Ron's threats of forcible removal would have been appropriate. Instead, we're 30's, engineer/lawyer that had paid for a service, had no intent to steal anything and would have never approached the premiss or accepted the offer for a shuttle should we suspected we'd be treated with such distain.

HikerMom58
05-04-2014, 13:14
I was present for the EricMcDaniel incident. If we were teenage hoodlums intent on stealing services, Ron's threats of forcible removal would have been appropriate. Instead, we're 30's, engineer/lawyer that had paid for a service, had no intent to steal anything and would have never approached the premiss or accepted the offer for a shuttle should we suspected we'd be treated with such distain.

Wow... just wow! These are recurring reports coming from hikers. I'm paying attention to these reports. They are all over the internet not just on WB.

MuddyWaters
05-04-2014, 15:59
For the most part, it seems that the people that have complaints against Ron, were not guests of his.

The rest dont seem to have the proper expectation of what type of motel room $40 per night gets you, in conjuction with free transportation around town and to and from trail.

Ive stayed in many, many, many hotels and motels. There is a HUGE difference between just $50 and $70 in terms of what kind of place you get. Huge. Generally speaking, compared to what most of us are used to in our regular lives, anything under $55 is often a poor experience.

Without a doubt, you really do get what you pay for with hotels. No one should be surprised by that, but many seem to be.

ericmcdaniel
05-08-2014, 12:57
I defy anyone in this thread who has jumped in the defend Ron despite not being there to give an example of any reputable hotel (cheap or otherwise) that would threaten to have a temporary guest of another customer arrested for no reason other than "I have been taken over the barrel before," or "it's my busy season, so my poor attitude should be excused."

jimmyjam
05-08-2014, 13:30
everybody has a bad day now and then... I have my share.

Old Hiker
05-08-2014, 16:07
Wow... just wow! These are recurring reports coming from hikers. I'm paying attention to these reports. They are all over the internet not just on WB.

Could you post the links, please?

I have some opinions, but would like further input.

Lone Wolf
05-08-2014, 20:56
I defy anyone in this thread who has jumped in the defend Ron despite not being there to give an example of any reputable hotel (cheap or otherwise) that would threaten to have a temporary guest of another customer arrested for no reason other than "I have been taken over the barrel before," or "it's my busy season, so my poor attitude should be excused."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkobviously you've never run a business on or near the AT that caters to walkers on vacation

MuddyWaters
05-08-2014, 20:57

Its a common problem that 1-2 hikers will rent a hotel room, and then have several of their friends waiting around the corner to pile in as well.
In fact, its pretty much the modus operandi for younger thru hikers. Some motels do not want to deal with thru-hikers for this very reason.

Small properties with only a couple rooms where they can keep a close eye on it, are in a better situation than a larger motel. As one small property owner (with ~ 6 rooms I think) told me once, "He was big enough he could keep the thru hikers under control at his property." But he really targetted section hikers for his business, not thrus. He just didnt want to deal with them.

If someone ever gets argumentative with a property owner, It will always spiral quickly downhill from there.

Ron Haven
05-08-2014, 22:56
obviously you've never run a business on or near the AT that caters to walkers on vacationEvery year I have some that are going to run the show. When they see I don't put up with their crap they run to the computer with their internet karate. Bottom line, I am not letting loafers hang out at my place so they can steal things of mine or my guest. Now, this hiker that is crying hasn't ever stole nothing, wouldn't think of it, and all that don't allow him to do as he pleases is a bad person, like ME. And hiker Mom, I know you love my services and are always there to tell about me not free shuttling your son and his crew that stayed all in one room at another motel. If you noticed the hiker said I gave him a free ride to town. I make those runs at 9am & 11am. I make my run to Wal Mart from 4 to 6pm. Didn't he state he was only there 30 minutes and had a couple of drinks only. They must have been great big ones !!!!!. Then I have to put you off my property after my wife ask you really nice to leave. Then the next morning you and the girl you were with come sneeking onto the back of the bus at Sapphire Inn while I was picking up the desk report inside. I saw you but was glad to get rid of both of you. The other hikers you mooched on paid for you staying in their room. If you got a problem with how I run my business, then stay away from it. You want to come in and be respectful and go by my rules, I will show the same respect in return but they ain't none of you gonna run my business whether you like it or not. Just because you cry on the computer and know internet karate, Sorry. As you already seen, you messed up. It gets worse on up the trail. I know you had a bad experience. I was impressed. All the rest of the hikers had charactor and didn't have any problems at my places. Just you and your friends. I know whiteblaze will close this thread or erase it but that is fine with me. If you want to get on my forum and get it red hot, log in to http://appalachiantrailservices.net (http://appalachiantrailservices.net) and click on the forum. You are not going to spoil my fun. I meet a lot of really great hikers this year.

Old Hiker
05-09-2014, 07:30
Mr. Haven,

You were the epitome of courtesy to all I saw in 2012 and to me, as well. I'm glad you came back on to defend yourself. "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing". I hope you continue your good works through 2016 at least, so I can have ANOTHER opportunity to come by.

Don't know the hikers from Adam and Eve, but YOU had me on YOUR side as soon as I saw "Washington D.C. engineer and lawyer" on the other side. :) And my nephew is an engineer and my niece is a lawyer !!!

Didn't know you had a blog at the trailservices dot net. Looks like I have a GREAT day of catching up to do while grading papers in an almost empty classroom!

Thanks for all you do. May it come back 10 fold.

Lyle
05-09-2014, 08:22
Have met Ron once while section hiking several years ago. Can't call him a personal friend (certain he would have no idea who I was), but consider him a friend of hikers.

His services were reasonably priced, dependable, and he went way beyond what much higher priced accommodations would offer to a tired, dirty vagabond.

I was very impressed with his offer of assistance (just give him a call), no matter where along the trail we were, if we could not find help we needed locally. He stated that he knew folks all along the trail, and he would find us any help we NEEDED. I think that was the key word, at least that would be the only time I would think to take him up on the offer.

I stayed one night at the Budget Inn. Got there late, after dark. Ordered Pizza, resupplied at the nearby convenience store, had a good breakfast, then Ron shuttled us back to the trail and made the above offer of help. This was later in the year, after thru-hiker season. Many of the hostels were closed down for the year, and Ron had ended his normal shuttle runs, but fired up the bus for us.

Good Guy, and I'm very thankful for him and others like him who make section hiking the AT so much easier.

Lyle
05-09-2014, 08:33
Just wanted to add, Ron isn't the only "good Guy" in Franklin. When we headed in to Franklin from the trail, we hitched a ride with a gentleman who was on his way home from work. We weren't certain that Ron would be doing shuttles to get us back to the trail, but the man told us, if we needed to, give him a call between 7 and 7:30 AM, he would pick us up at the motel and take us back to the trail on his way to work. Really nice guy.

Obviously, Ron came through with the shuttle, so we could enjoy a much more leisurely morning.

ericmcdaniel
06-28-2014, 10:50
You're a liar to (a) accuse us of stealing a room and (b) hitching a free ride on your morning shuttle, Ron. We got a place to stay in town from another trail service, and the owner kindly offered to take us back to trail the next morning. I'll tell it to your face if I ever see you again: liar.

ericmcdaniel
06-28-2014, 10:57
And I took your wal mart shuttle from the Penny Pincher, not your shuttle into town from trail, so yes, we were there for a grand total of about 30 minutes. Maybe all of us disgusting, loafing, lying and cheating thru-hikers blend together in your mind, Ron. We are a horrible lot. Perhaps you should find a line of work where you don't have to deal with such an execrable element of society. Leave us to the rest of the businesses that actually treat us like human beings.

Don H
06-28-2014, 11:01
Ron runs a great service and has helped many hikers over the years. Make no mistake, he runs a business and needs to make a profit but he always does more than most others would do. It wasn't until recently that he started charging for non-guests to ride his shuttle, no doubt in response to abusers.

I don't understand how he puts up with some of the "entitled hikers".

I've stayed at with Ron twice now and look forward to visiting again.

Chris10
06-28-2014, 23:03
I don't know Ron, have never personally met him, but he helped me out tremendously this past week by allowing me to leave my car at the Budget Inn for free while my son and I completed a section hike. We spent the night at the BI, before our hike, and then for a small fee, were able to take showers when we returned later in the week. I'm sure It's not always easy dealing with hundreds/thousands of varying personalities a year and I can't speak of the OPs situation, but am glad Ron was there to help us out!

Ron Haven
06-30-2014, 03:49
I don't know Ron, have never personally met him, but he helped me out tremendously this past week by allowing me to leave my car at the Budget Inn for free while my son and I completed a section hike. We spent the night at the BI, before our hike, and then for a small fee, were able to take showers when we returned later in the week. I'm sure It's not always easy dealing with hundreds/thousands of varying personalities a year and I can't speak of the OPs situation, but am glad Ron was there to help us out!Friends, thanks for stopping in. You know, I am not perfect and I am human. I am a one man operation that has probably contributed more to the trail than anyone I know. I usually don't brag about it but I was thinking a few days back, "I love Hikers to be successful and I will try to help them". I have saw in my life people who lye to them, rip them off, and all kinds of kukie stuff. In my mind, I have always been fair, a straight person and did what I thought was honest and right. I see some who don't think that is enough. I am to the age, I am proud for what I do for hikers in spite of those few. Actually look at my new web page for my hiker services Ron Haven Hiker Services. (http://ronhavenhikerservices.com) Love you folks, take care and happy hiking........

attroll
06-30-2014, 21:09
This thread has gone on long enough, I am going to close this thread. I think everyone has said what needs to be said. There is always two sides to the story. I have never had an bad experiences with any of Ron's establishments. But keep in mind a large hiker bubble was passing through and all the places in Franklin were full. Usually when this happens you have hikers trying to sneak into other hikers rooms to spend the night without paying. I am not saying that ericmcdaniel was trying to do this and I am sure he wasn't but sometimes it only take a few hikers to do this and it spoils it for the rest.