PDA

View Full Version : Looking for AT guide/map set

joshcampfield
09-15-2005, 17:23
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for a complete set of AT guides and maps, preferably recent ones. I'm planning for a possible thru hike. I want this material without having to spend 300$ and later not even hike. Trying to see if I can find it either free or cheaper - any new thru hikers or others out there who don't need their guides?

--josh

max patch
09-15-2005, 17:48
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for a complete set of AT guides and maps, preferably recent ones. I'm planning for a possible thru hike. I want this material without having to spend 300$ and later not even hike. Trying to see if I can find it either free or cheaper - any new thru hikers or others out there who don't need their guides?

--josh

If you can't find cheap used ones...give ebay a try...the ATC traditionally has a sale on the complete set of guidebooks, maps, and the data book from Thanksgiving thru Christmas. Price should be around $150 or so for members.

0x12d3
11-07-2005, 16:16
I've been searching the net high and low, ebay included, and can't find a set of second hand maps anywhere (or even a single map, for that matter). It seems like this would be really easy, of the 1300+ potential tru-hikers each season.

...guess none of 'em buy maps (or at least sell them) (???)

Uncle Silly
11-07-2005, 19:19
half of them that buy the maps mark 'em up as they go and send 'em home for keepsakes after they're done with 'em. the other half cut them up to save weight or leave 'em at the first shelter after they leave the area of the map. i'd actually be surprised if you can find a complete set of secondhand maps available.

the map set is ~$150 for ATC members from the ATC. why not join and buy from them (or get a friend to order for you with their membership)?

Smile
11-08-2005, 06:50
This is a fun product Maptech AT Trail Set (http://www.maptech.com/land/appalachiantrail/index.cfm) - it also comes with 3-d glasses which are funl, you can check out the topo maps and actually see the terrain changes, and spin the 'section' around. It helped when I ran out of AT paraphanalia to watch or read, and is produced in cooperation with the ATC. You can add your own notes and comments as well, and print out sections for yourself. I think the year on this is 2004, I assume this is updated (?) as needed, but not sure.

You can also get a topo map of any area, rolled or folded, laminated also from about $14 bucks and up, just put in your city and you can take a look at the map of your area and I think print it out too.

"ME & U"
11-08-2005, 10:54
Think about spending your hard earned money on other things. I have the whole set and it sits in a book case collecting dust. We ended up using the data book and thru hikers companion and it was all we needed. In hind sight, I could have planned the whole hike with these. Sure wish I had that 250 dollars back!
I also carried a nice AT journal that had a basic map set in it.

weary
11-08-2005, 11:44
Think about spending your hard earned money on other things. I have the whole set and it sits in a book case collecting dust. We ended up using the data book and thru hikers companion and it was all we needed. In hind sight, I could have planned the whole hike with these. Sure wish I had that 250 dollars back!
I also carried a nice AT journal that had a basic map set in it.
Your investment was not a loss. The sale of maps and guides are a major source of income for ATC and some of the maintaining clubs. Your purchase helped make the trail you walked safe and enjoyable.

The Maine Appalachain Trail Club gets about 10 percent of its annual budget from the profit it earns from the sale of its maps and guides.

Weary

"ME & U"
11-08-2005, 12:03
Good point Weary but the thread was concerning buying a set else where. In which case, the $ goes in some dude's pocket. My suggestion was to keep it in yours... there's always other ways to donate.

max patch
11-08-2005, 12:12
I use my guidebooks every year. I know Georgia inside out and backwards but I use them when I plan trips to other states. Info on trail access via automobile is very useful.

And while it appears that I am in the minority on this one, I always carry the guidebooks on hikes as I like to know the history of the area, the mountains that I am looking at, etc.

Nightwalker
11-08-2005, 23:24
This is a fun product Maptech AT Trail Set (http://www.maptech.com/land/appalachiantrail/index.cfm) - it also comes with 3-d glasses which are funl, you can check out the topo maps and actually see the terrain changes, and spin the 'section' around. It helped when I ran out of AT paraphanalia to watch or read, and is produced in cooperation with the ATC. You can add your own notes and comments as well, and print out sections for yourself. I think the year on this is 2004, I assume this is updated (?) as needed, but not sure.

You can also get a topo map of any area, rolled or folded, laminated also from about $14 bucks and up, just put in your city and you can take a look at the map of your area and I think print it out too.
I wonder how often it's updated? Thje latest centerline data, for instance, is 3+ years old. The NED data used to make the topos and the 3-D effects is free from http://seamless.usgs.gov/.

Then again, I'm a mapgeek. I like making maps. I'm studying programming and GIS and do it on an amateur basis while I'm learning it. I've got a great setup, but am currently improving it to the point where I can, for instance, take binary-format data of the GA AT without having to come off for a recharge, with a setup that's less than 2 pounds including handheld computer, GPS and power. A bit of cost, but I'm going to be doing this for a long time, and that's worth it to me. I just got the Palm Tungsten E2 to replace the Pocket PC that I used to use. Less weight, longer battery life. I'm still using the GPS 16, but am getting a deLorme GIS level GPS hardware/software setup in the next month or so that has post-processing software included and is bluetooth capable. Then I'll be able to put the Palm in a waterproof container if I gather data in the rain and keep going. The post-processing software allows for stationary readings of sub-meter accuracy and kinematic (moving) readings of 1-5 meters accuracy, even in tree cover, which is impossible with a consumer unit.

(Oops, my sliderule is showing)

Anyway, if the data is fresh, I'd probably buy it anyway. I like maps, duh.

:-)

MedicineMan
11-09-2005, 02:24
did you follow DelDoc when he was assimilating data points on his 2cd thru?
I wonder what happened to all that data?

pooh
11-09-2005, 04:44
I have the whole set and it sits in a book case collecting dust. We ended up using the data book and thru hikers companion and it was all we needed. In hind sight, I could have planned the whole hike with these.

Maybe you guys can work something out! Are you willing to part with your set collecting dust? If not...
I've got most maps and a set of books from 2000. you are welcome to them.

I agree that the databook is really helpful!

Nightwalker
11-09-2005, 18:44
Maybe you guys can work something out! Are you willing to part with your set collecting dust? If not...
I've got most maps and a set of books from 2000. you are welcome to them.

I agree that the databook is really helpful!
I only have the maps through the top of NC. if the OP doesn't want them, I'd love to be "welcome to them."

BTW, I plan on donating the data I gather on the trail to the ATC and the individual clubs. Whether or not I attempt to make a commercial product, they are welcome to any improved data.

Nightwalker
11-09-2005, 18:45
did you follow DelDoc when he was assimilating data points on his 2cd thru?
I wonder what happened to all that data?
I've asked about it a few times. The short version of the repeated answer is "soon." I realize that the ATC GIS guy has plenty to do, so I'm just being patient.

:D