PDA

View Full Version : A place to stay ?

mcgrabo
03-16-2014, 06:49
My wife and I are thinking about opening our home for thru hikers. Our son thru hiked last year, 2013. We did not know much about the hike until he said he was going to try and do it. We have 2 extra bed rooms, (our 2 kids are all grown up and on their own, ha ha ). I think if we did open our home, we would need to charge, in order to cover certain expenses that occur when you increase the number of people in a home. We live about 2 miles away from where the AT goes thru our small town. I am retired and my wife will retire next year after 40 years as a elementary school teacher. Well, sorry if I bored you, but any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike G

Lone Wolf
03-16-2014, 06:53
charge at least $35 per person

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 08:58
My wife and I are thinking about opening our home for thru hikers. Our son thru hiked last year, 2013. We did not know much about the hike until he said he was going to try and do it. We have 2 extra bed rooms, (our 2 kids are all grown up and on their own, ha ha ). I think if we did open our home, we would need to charge, in order to cover certain expenses that occur when you increase the number of people in a home. We live about 2 miles away from where the AT goes thru our small town. I am retired and my wife will retire next year after 40 years as a elementary school teacher. Well, sorry if I bored you, but any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike G

AWESOME!!

I didn't know much about the trail until my daughter decided to hike it as well. She didn't end up hiking the whole trail. (yet) She's still working on it... done over half the trail.
I became interested in the trail, myself, b/c of her.

I live 5 miles from the trail crossing in Daleville VA. I have a place for hikers to stay at my home (like you describe, mcgrabo) but I'm not in "the book" & never want to be.

I'm just here, unofficially, helping out in whatever way I can.

I've met so many hikers that are my friends, now.

As far as the cost? I let my new friends use the laundry, shower and kitchen and of course a place to crash for the night. (s) I also slack pack them through this part of VA. Some give me $, some do not. I don't mind it if they do or don't. I enjoy having them all the same.

I don't mention him very much on here but my husband deserves a shout out. He is AWESOME! He supports me in every way.

A BIG THANK YOU TO MY HUBBY!!

I think you should charge $, if you want too. Consider all the things that you will provide & what it costs you, for starters. I don't provide much food at all. I leave that all up to them. :cool:

Hiker's are some of the BEST peeps, in my humble opinion!! Good luck! Have fun interacting and making new friends!

rafe
03-16-2014, 09:25

I'm seriously out of touch with AT hostel prices. Someone clue me in. Free State in MD offers their "Hiker Bundle" for $32 which includes laundry, free phone and internet. Run by a former thru-hiker. What does Elmers' charge these days?

I'd expect to pay more in a B&B style place than a bunkroom. $35 will probably keep out the riff-raff, which is probably what LW is getting at.

Go for it, mcgrabo. You'll meet all kinds. Most hikers are good people.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2014, 09:41
What does Elmers' charge these days?

I'd expect to pay more in a B&B style place than a bunkroom. $35 will probably keep out the riff-raff, which is probably what LW is getting at.

Elmer's. $20. bed, towel, shower. $10 extra for dinner, $6 for breakfast. and you're partially correct about keeping riff-raff at bay

The Cleaner
03-16-2014, 10:03
Most hikers are great folks and then there are some I wouldn't let camp in my yard........

Drybones
03-16-2014, 10:35
I would price according to what you provide. I've paid $20 at hostels and thought it was a bad deal and paid $35 and thought I got a real bargain. If I were in your place and doing this, I agree with LW, $35, keep it simple, a clean place that provides what the hikers need. I thought the Tea Horse Hostel in Harpers Ferry was a good deal, $35, a bunk with a mattress, clean bathrooms and kitchen, laundry was extra but that was okay, polite, professional, helpful owner, I'd rather stay there any day than in a motel. If you're two miles from the trail I'd provide a shuttle into town for resupply. Require boots be left outside so the place doesn't get muddied up. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Drybones
03-16-2014, 10:37
Most hikers are great folks and then there are some I wouldn't let camp in my yard........

I agree, seems like there's always that 3% or 4% that gives the whole lot of us a bad rep.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-16-2014, 12:27
Do we have to be thrus? Snacktime and I haven't tackled our VT challenge yet.....

LIhikers
03-16-2014, 12:45
mcgrabo,

It might be a good idea to talk to an experienced hostel operator to get their side of the story and to shorten your learning curve.
There's a hostel in Manchester Center, VT who's owner is a member here at Whiteblaze. He might have some guidance for you.
I can't remember his name for sure, but I think it's Jeff. Can anybody confirm that?

rafe
03-16-2014, 13:05
Frank Sutton used to have a place in Manchester, but last time I was in that town I couldn't find his place. I stayed there in 2002. It was very nice. Clean and quiet. Didn't feel like a hostel at all.

rickb
03-16-2014, 13:19
This site might be interesting to you, as it shows a wide range of accommodations in peoples homes and the prices charged to the general public.

www.airbnb.com

10-K
03-16-2014, 13:19
Frank Sutton used to have a place in Manchester, but last time I was in that town I couldn't find his place. I stayed there in 2002. It was very nice. Clean and quiet. Didn't feel like a hostel at all.

If you're talking about Sutton's Place, it's still there. I stayed there on 2 different hikes. The owner's last name isn't Sutton - so I'm guessing it was sold and the new owner kept the old name.

Great place, right in town and within easy walking distance of anything you'd need.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2014, 13:48
Jeff runs the "Green Mountain House" in Manchester Center.

Manchester Center to Rt 4 is just under 50 miles which most people do in 3-4 days. Rt 140 to Wallingford is about 1/2 way between. Hard to say if anyone would bother to take advantage of a place to stay that close to both resupply points. Unless you also offer a ride to Rutland for resupply, then you might get those who want to go a bit farther then Manchester Center or not stop at the Inn at the Long Trail. Being 2 miles off the trail means you might have to offer rides back and forth too. At least back in the morning, as that is the difficult part.

It's possible few would bother to stop, or you might get much more then you can handle, it's really hard to say.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2014, 13:58
Do we have to be thrus? Snacktime and I haven't tackled our VT challenge yet.....
should at least be long distance sectioners on foot

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 14:01
I agree, seems like there's always that 3% or 4% that gives the whole lot of us a bad rep.

I'm glad to hear you say that the percentage of "undesirable" hikers is low. Seriously, MOST AT thru-hikers are not a problem at all.

The small percentage of them do give the whole lot of hikers a bad reputaion... I believe that's true.

Over the years, I believe, that this small percentage of hikers can "burn out" trail providers, business owners and trail angels, as well.

bobp
03-16-2014, 14:59

4% represents A LOT of jerks. Assuming they are evenly spread out, that means that you have roughly a coin flip's chance of having a jerk in any given group of a dozen hikers. Given the volume of hikers passing through trail establishments, that means dealing with anywhere from a jerk every couple of days to multiple jerks per day. Who wants to sign up for that?

The true percentage of people giving hikers a bad name is probably much smaller (thankfully), but it seems clear that many service providers along the trail are nicer and more tolerant of jerks than I am (not particularly hard to believe). There are easier ways to make a dollar.

Drybones
03-16-2014, 15:51
4% represents A LOT of jerks. Assuming they are evenly spread out, that means that you have roughly a coin flip's chance of having a jerk in any given group of a dozen hikers. Given the volume of hikers passing through trail establishments, that means dealing with anywhere from a jerk every couple of days to multiple jerks per day. Who wants to sign up for that?

The true percentage of people giving hikers a bad name is probably much smaller (thankfully), but it seems clear that many service providers along the trail are nicer and more tolerant of jerks than I am (not particularly hard to believe). There are easier ways to make a dollar.

Your probably right about my % being high...I can only recall one hiker I'd just as soon not meet again...can recall many I'd like to see again.

Jeff
03-16-2014, 16:39
My wife and I are thinking about opening our home for thru hikers. Our son thru hiked last year, 2013. We did not know much about the hike until he said he was going to try and do it. We have 2 extra bed rooms, (our 2 kids are all grown up and on their own, ha ha ). I think if we did open our home, we would need to charge, in order to cover certain expenses that occur when you increase the number of people in a home. We live about 2 miles away from where the AT goes thru our small town. I am retired and my wife will retire next year after 40 years as a elementary school teacher. Well, sorry if I bored you, but any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike G Mcgrabo, my wife and I run Green Mountain House in Manchester. It has been a very rewarding experience. The "undesirable" hikers are really closer to 1%....maybe less. We advertise that we do not allow alcohol, and most every hiker respects our rule.

I will PM you and talk further.

rafe
03-16-2014, 16:49
I see where Sutton's place doesn't really appear to be a hostel anymore, but more like a proper guest house, and probably too pricy for most thru-hikers. http://www.suttonsplacevermont.com/

canoe
03-16-2014, 17:10
AWESOME!!

I didn't know much about the trail until my daughter decided to hike it as well. She didn't end up hiking the whole trail. (yet) She's still working on it... done over half the trail.
I became interested in the trail, myself, b/c of her.

I live 5 miles from the trail crossing in Daleville VA. I have a place for hikers to stay at my home (like you describe, mcgrabo) but I'm not in "the book" & never want to be.

I'm just here, unofficially, helping out in whatever way I can.

I've met so many hikers that are my friends, now.

As far as the cost? I let my new friends use the laundry, shower and kitchen and of course a place to crash for the night. (s) I also slack pack them through this part of VA. Some give me $, some do not. I don't mind it if they do or don't. I enjoy having them all the same.

I don't mention him very much on here but my husband deserves a shout out. He is AWESOME! He supports me in every way.

A BIG THANK YOU TO MY HUBBY!!

I think you should charge $, if you want too. Consider all the things that you will provide & what it costs you, for starters. I don't provide much food at all. I leave that all up to them. :cool:

Hiker's are some of the BEST peeps, in my humble opinion!! Good luck! Have fun interacting and making new friends!

Just curious, what kind of hiker would not give you anything after providing laundry shower kitchen a place to crash and a slack pack ride? It is really nice of you to do this but I would never expect that type of kindness to go unrewarded.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-16-2014, 17:36
should at least be long distance sectioners on foot

I'm fairly sure it wasn't you I was asking, but thanks for the input.

bamboo bob
03-16-2014, 18:13
I see where Sutton's place doesn't really appear to be a hostel anymore, but more like a proper guest house, and probably too pricy for most thru-hikers. http://www.suttonsplacevermont.com/

A very nice place. I stayed there when my wife did the LT with me. Likely not when soloing. In five At and/or LT trips I usually skip Manchester. :(

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 19:35
Just curious, what kind of hiker would not give you anything after providing laundry shower kitchen a place to crash and a slack pack ride? It is really nice of you to do this but I would never expect that type of kindness to go unrewarded.

Well canoe, it's an offer that I extended to others, myself. No one asks me to be that generous. It's mainly people that I establish a relationship with over the internet or meet through other friends.

I'm not the only one to do this. I've seen other people do this and offer these same things all the time, too. It's like trail magic. :) I like meeting new people with a common interest. I enjoy the friendship!

Besides, hikers help around the home too. They help move furniture, counter tops, refrigerators & mow the lawn etc...also cook, not only themselves, but for us too. It's really fun! I love the smiles & fellowship. The hugs are the BEST!

This is nice too.... If I ever need a place to stay? BINGO! ;)

rickb
03-16-2014, 20:14

Another option would be to keep an eye out for thru hikers hitchhiking or at the supermarket, and when you are so inspired invite them into your home at no charge.

While the extra cost of hot water and incidental wear and tear might make it impossible to host a great number of hikers, it sure could be fun-- not to mention especially meaningful for those to whom you extend your hospitality.

To be clear, I am not suggesting this because if would be a benefit to the lucky hikers (even thought it would be) but rather because it could be best for you guys.

10-K
03-16-2014, 20:23
A very nice place. I stayed there when my wife did the LT with me. Likely not when soloing. In five At and/or LT trips I usually skip Manchester. :(

Skip Manchester? BLASPHEMY! How could you? Best ever trail town award winner.

Seriously though, I do love the place. I hiked in to resupply in 2010 and planned on hitching back to the trail. I left 2 days later almost in tears. I had the great fortune to be back in Manchester on my birthday in 2012 when I hiked the LT and stayed at Sutton Place again - The owner gave me a ticket to the movies that he won in a charity auction as a birthday gift...

FWIW, price wise it was cheaper than most hotels up north. I hated missing Jeff's place - it gets rave reviews - I just have a thing for being in town and being able to move about at my convenience and I like privacy/quiet that a room provides.

canoe
03-16-2014, 20:24
Ok I understand better. You are kind of networking like when people exchange their home for differant vacation locations so they dont have to pay for housing when they get to their destination. And you are sort of doing a little work for stay. It is nice that you live so close to the trail. Very Nice.

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 20:40
Ok I understand better. You are kind of networking like when people exchange their home for differant vacation locations so they dont have to pay for housing when they get to their destination. And you are sort of doing a little work for stay. It is nice that you live so close to the trail. Very Nice.

Yes sir! :>) I offer but anyone who asks shall receive! It's all about friendships.

Yes canoe, I'm very fortunate to live so close to the trail AND have WB as a way to stay connected to everyone.

I believe other groups do this as well. Bikers (long distant road bikers) for instance. :)

canoe
03-16-2014, 20:55
Yes sir! :>) I offer but anyone who asks shall receive! It's all about friendships.

Yes canoe, I'm very fortunate to live so close to the trail AND have WB as a way to stay connected to everyone.

I believe other groups do this as well. Bikers (long distant road bikers) for instance. :)
Yes there are alot of networks like this. Craigslist has a thread for doing just this. Its smart if you network with people you trust. And you seem to do your homework.

HikerMom58
03-16-2014, 21:17
Yes there are alot of networks like this. Craigslist has a thread for doing just this. Its smart if you network with people you trust. And you seem to do your homework.

I haven't met a "bad apple" yet. :D Canoe, if you are hiking in this area and you need anything at all, let me know! :>)

canoe
03-16-2014, 21:45
Well thank you HM. My wife and I will be doing the last 16miles section in GA and the first miles in NC the week after Easter. We have not decided where we will hike during the summer. Your offer is very generous. We live in N eastern NC. So we are about 4 hours to the closest trail head at Waynesboro. IF you are ever in this area and have a need send me a pm.

lonehiker
03-16-2014, 22:19
I'm fairly sure it wasn't you I was asking, but thanks for the input.

I'm fairly sure he is entitled to his opinion regardless of who you were asking. You can thank me for my input later.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-16-2014, 23:02
I'm fairly sure he is entitled to his opinion regardless of who you were asking. You can thank me for my input later.

Not likely.

Sly
03-16-2014, 23:41
If you're talking about Sutton's Place, it's still there. I stayed there on 2 different hikes. The owner's last name isn't Sutton - so I'm guessing it was sold and the new owner kept the old name.

Your host, Frank Sutton
Welcoming guests for
over 30 years

10-K
03-17-2014, 06:43

Your host, Frank Sutton
Welcoming guests for
over 30 years

I saw that... I distinctly remember asking if he was the "Sutton" in "Sutton's Place" and I would have bet my front teeth he said no. that he had bought the place.

Even weirder, the guy in the photo doesn't look like the guy who was there when I stayed there both times - and yes, I'm absolutely sure it's the right place.

peakbagger
03-17-2014, 07:15
If you charge, make sure that your insurance covers you for this. In many states, you are operating a business and may have to meet special zoning and building codes for the accommodations. There are several methods that some people employee in an attempt to get around the insurance issue and few if any will stand muster in court. Involuntary donations is one of the saddest attempts. If someone does get hurt through no fault of your own, they ultimately can cost you far more than you will ever be able to recover through bringing in guests.

Lone Wolf
03-17-2014, 07:34
If you charge, make sure that your insurance covers you for this. In many states, you are operating a business and may have to meet special zoning and building codes for the accommodations. There are several methods that some people employee in an attempt to get around the insurance issue and few if any will stand muster in court. Involuntary donations is one of the saddest attempts. If someone does get hurt through no fault of your own, they ultimately can cost you far more than you will ever be able to recover through bringing in guests.
i don't know how "The Place" in Damascus gets away with the way it's run. there are no working smoke detectors in the building or fire escape from the second floor and they "charge" a $6 per night donation

HikerMom58
03-17-2014, 09:11
Well thank you HM. My wife and I will be doing the last 16miles section in GA and the first miles in NC the week after Easter. We have not decided where we will hike during the summer. Your offer is very generous. We live in N eastern NC. So we are about 4 hours to the closest trail head at Waynesboro. IF you are ever in this area and have a need send me a pm.

Sounds good canoe! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-17-2014, 10:03
i don't know how "The Place" in Damascus gets away with the way it's run. there are no working smoke detectors in the building or fire escape from the second floor and they "charge" a $6 per night donation

You're right...that sounds strange given most housing requirements for private homes, much less hostels. Perhaps it has something to do with being church-based? It's scary to think that it might take a disaster to effect change....ie Station Nightclub.

Prime Time
03-17-2014, 10:49
You're right...that sounds strange given most housing requirements for private homes, much less hostels. Perhaps it has something to do with being church-based? It's scary to think that it might take a disaster to effect change....ie Station Nightclub.
You want to talk scary places that charge? How about the Doyle? The code inspector is probably afraid to go in there.

Prime Time
03-17-2014, 11:02
If you are thinking about charging a fixed rate, these are just my thoughts on what to charge based on what I've experienced. If you charge $35 for a stay in a hiker hostel it should include at least a bunk, laundry, internet, shower (with soap, shampoo and a towel), one good meal (breakfast or dinner), shuttle ride to resupply, and room to relax. If it didn't include all this I think you would eliminate at least 75% of the thru hikers.

If you just provide a place to stay for the night with shower and laundry and maybe a shuttle ride to resupply and/or a restaurant, I think about $15-$20 is more in line.

Jeff
03-17-2014, 11:12
Maria McCabe of Salisbury, CT charges $35...no meal, no laundry. She still gets 2 to 4 hikers per night during the thruhiker season.

So New England prices can differ from down south.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2014, 11:26
Maria McCabe of Salisbury, CT charges $35...no meal, no laundry. She still gets 2 to 4 hikers per night during the thruhiker season.

So New England prices can differ from down south.

Well, since the only other place to stay in Salisbury charges $150 a night (hiker discount rate!) Maria's place is a bargin!

10-K
03-17-2014, 11:45
Involuntary donations is one of the saddest attempts. If someone does get hurt through no fault of your own, they ultimately can cost you far more than you will ever be able to recover through bringing in guests.

The things people will do to avoid paying for proper insurance blows my mind. Voluntary donations are no better than involuntary donations. Insurance companies aren't stupid - if me and you know that "donations only" is a way to avoid having insurance, wouldn't you think they'd figure it out too?

Hikermom has the right idea - discreet, invitation only, and very clearly stating that there is not a monetary expectation in any sense.

Jeff
03-17-2014, 12:10
Well, since the only other place to stay in Salisbury charges $150 a night (hiker discount rate!) Maria's place is a bargin!

The White Hart Inn closed several years ago.

Drybones
03-17-2014, 12:37
If you are thinking about charging a fixed rate, these are just my thoughts on what to charge based on what I've experienced. If you charge $35 for a stay in a hiker hostel it should include at least a bunk, laundry, internet, shower (with soap, shampoo and a towel), one good meal (breakfast or dinner), shuttle ride to resupply, and room to relax. If it didn't include all this I think you would eliminate at least 75% of the thru hikers.

If you just provide a place to stay for the night with shower and laundry and maybe a shuttle ride to resupply and/or a restaurant, I think about $15-$20 is more in line.

To me a shower, resupply, and a ride back to the trail are the important things, all else is a luxury...then again, I guess that shower is a luxury also...anyway, for me $20 is a good deal for those three things, assuming the place is reasonably clean.

peakbagger
03-17-2014, 13:32
I expect the place gets away with it as its probably set up a non profit with no real assets. Lawyers look for assets to go after, if there aren't any, they don't get involved. Insurance companies on the other hand look for ways not to pay and if someone is running a bootleg hostel and one of the hostel clients gets hurt, they are going to do what they can to not pay. Well off individuals probably wouldn't even get involved with the concept but if they did, they would make darn sure they were set up in way that they wouldn't have exposure. Its the well meaning folks who own their own home and may have a few dollars stashed away that might be a tempting target.

HikerMom58
03-17-2014, 13:34
The things people will do to avoid paying for proper insurance blows my mind. Voluntary donations are no better than involuntary donations. Insurance companies aren't stupid - if me and you know that "donations only" is a way to avoid having insurance, wouldn't you think they'd figure it out too?

Hikermom has the right idea - discreet, invitation only, and very clearly stating that there is not a monetary expectation in any sense.

Yes, this is correct 10-K. They are FRIENDS!

I also want to be careful too because I don't want to take away from established business's in the area. I don't have to worry about the "place to crash" so much, right now. There's no hostels close to me. Closest one is 4 Pines.

I don't want to take business away from local shuttle drivers either. I have to be careful about this too, because, I only ask for gas $, if hikers can swing it. If they can't, I still help them out. "Payment" is sometimes a lunch or dinner. :D It's nice!

I help out some section hikers with shuttles, but again, they are my friends,mostly.

Some of my 2013 hiker friends were very generous to me... jus sayin. They wouldn't let me give any thing back to them...grrr!

I wouldn't even begin to consider doing it any other way. But, everyone is different. So, whatever works for you!

10-K
03-17-2014, 14:53
[/B]

I wouldn't even begin to consider doing it any other way. But, everyone is different. So, whatever works for you!

I think what you're doing is great and very helpful. Probably you'll be able to do it forever and not run into any problems.

But you should know that even though you're hosting "friends", if something happens and they talk to an attorney the attorney will almost certainly sway them against you. I know this to be true. The most common tact when an attorney is trying to get someone to sue who may be reluctant is to say, "Let me be the bad guy. You don't have to get involved."

I know I sound paranoid, and I know this sounds crazy, but it would be very wise to read your insurance policies carefully and even call your agent and say, "Look.. this is what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear but I want to run it buy you." and then tell him/her what you're doing. Assuming you get an all clear, follow up with a letter referencing your call and the results to create a paper trail.

Like Peakbagger said, this is something someone with assets to protect would (should?) do - maybe not everyone. You just have to decide.

slbirdnerd
03-17-2014, 15:18
If you're going to ask for (or maybe even take) money, be sure you're not putting yourself in a potential predicament with IRS. I am no tax person, believe me... But I hear a lot of providers taking a "suggested donation" and I suspect that has something to do with it.

HikerMom58
03-17-2014, 15:23
I think what you're doing is great and very helpful. Probably you'll be able to do it forever and not run into any problems.

But you should know that even though you're hosting "friends", if something happens and they talk to an attorney the attorney will almost certainly sway them against you. I know this to be true. The most common tact when an attorney is trying to get someone to sue who may be reluctant is to say, "Let me be the bad guy. You don't have to get involved."

I know I sound paranoid, and I know this sounds crazy, but it would be very wise to read your insurance policies carefully and even call your agent and say, "Look.. this is what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear but I want to run it buy you." and then tell him/her what you're doing. Assuming you get an all clear, follow up with a letter referencing your call and the results to create a paper trail.

Like Peakbagger said, this is something someone with assets to protect would (should?) do - maybe not everyone. You just have to decide.

That's good sound advice. I'll look into that. Thanks so much! :)

Prime Time
03-17-2014, 16:04
True about Maria McCabe's except Maria provides food for breakfast (eggs, cereal, milk, toast), she just doesn't cook it for you, and she drives you to the laundermat and a restaurant if you want. I found this on the very high side of the price range but the local alternatives where another Hostel that charged even more or over $160 for a hotel, and Maria is a legend. I'd pay $35 just to talk with her for a few hours. Really.

Drybones
03-17-2014, 16:05
Life has gotten too complicated, it's a real shame when you can't help someone for fear of being sued, but Murphy was no fool when he wrote his laws of life, first one being...."no good deed goes unpunished".

10-K
03-17-2014, 17:05
Life has gotten too complicated, it's a real shame when you can't help someone for fear of being sued, but Murphy was no fool when he wrote his laws of life, first one being...."no good deed goes unpunished".

It is, and it isn't.

It's not about living in fear of being sued - it's about protecting yourself from losing all your stuff if you get sued - there's a big difference.

I shuttle people around for money on winding, twisting mountain roads and never worry about getting sued. There are people around here doing exactly the same thing and if I were them I'd be too scared to drive when someone got in the car.

You can whistle in the dark and think everything is fine or you can make a few phone calls, ask a few questions and find out the real deal. It would only take a couple hours of your time to find out. Why would anyone not do that?

I'm not trying to freak anyone out - just suggesting that anyone do basic due diligence before you put yourself on the line.

edited to add: To clarify - There's nothing you can do that would prevent you from being sued. What you want to do is protect your assets if it happens. The best way to do that is to make sure you're within the law and have insurance that specifically covers whatever exposure you have.

rickb
03-17-2014, 19:03
An umbrella policy added to ones homeowners policy is not a bad idea.

It it might NOT apply for a commercial operation, but you can get a whole lot of coverage for a couple hundred bucks.

rickb
03-17-2014, 19:09

There is absolutely no good reason not to have working smoke detectors where people are sleeping.

Can you let someone over there know about this?

10-K
03-17-2014, 19:21
Umbrella insurance doesn't cover more than you're already covered for - it just provides extra money if an award exceeds the coverage you already have.

For example, if you have coverage for A. B, and C, umbrella coverage won't cover D, E, and F. It just adds more monetary coverage for A, B, and C.

I pay $375 per year for a million dollar umbrella policy through Farm Bureau. I consider it a retainer fee for a team of attorneys.

And no, it will not cover commercial activities.

Edited to add: An umbrella policy also covers legal expenses in addition to the monetary coverage - that's why I consider it a retainer.

Coffee
03-17-2014, 19:24
An umbrella policy added to ones homeowners policy is not a bad idea.

It it might NOT apply for a commercial operation, but you can get a whole lot of coverage for a couple hundred bucks.
My umbrella specifically excludes any commercial activity. So I could host a hiker in my home or give a ride but if I take any compensation (or "donations"), it gets murky. But there are so many shades of gray. Like what if someone helps pay for gas. That's not compensation or a donation but money changes hands.

10-K
03-17-2014, 19:26
You can't buy an umbrella policy until everything am umbrella policy will cover already is insured separately.

HikerMom58
03-17-2014, 19:38
My umbrella specifically excludes any commercial activity. So I could host a hiker in my home or give a ride but if I take any compensation (or "donations"), it gets murky. But there are so many shades of gray. Like what if someone helps pay for gas. That's not compensation or a donation but money changes hands.

Right, i don't have a specific amount of $ in mind when they hand me "gas money", for instance.

I also NEVER charge for having someone in my home. They just "leave it" for me, sometimes. I do appreciate the gift very much but I don't expect it at all. I don't really even think about to be perfectly honest.

I'm going to take 10-K's advice though. It's just being smart.

10-K
03-17-2014, 19:50
I bet you feel a lot better afterwards! There's quite a bit of relief knowing you're in the clear.

If I were going down this road I'd call my agent and say, "Hey Mark, this is Tom. You know my wife and I are hikers and we love to host hikers in our home from time to time. They're our guests just like we invited friends over for the evening. I wanted to ask if you had any suggestions we might consider with regards to our homeowners and auto insurance because we didn't want to overlook anything."

I'll bet you dinner she/he recommends higher auto coverage limits, higher theft insurance for your personal belongings, and an umbrella policy. :)

rickb
03-17-2014, 20:00
Umbrella insurance doesn't cover more than you're already covered for - it just provides extra money if an award exceeds the coverage you already

Mostly. But how about libel on whiteblaze, and/or feeding someone an undercooked piece of chicken at a trail feed? at least one of those would be covered, right?

HikerMom58
03-17-2014, 20:06
I bet you feel a lot better afterwards! There's quite a bit of relief knowing you're in the clear.

If I were going down this road I'd call my agent and say, "Hey Mark, this is Tom. You know my wife and I are hikers and we love to host hikers in our home from time to time. They're our guests just like we invited friends over for the evening. I wanted to ask if you had any suggestions we might consider with regards to our homeowners and auto insurance because we didn't want to overlook anything."

I'll bet you dinner she/he recommends higher auto coverage limits, higher theft insurance for your personal belongings, and an umbrella policy. :)

I'll be sure to let you know what they say...I'll PM you. :) I'm sure I will feel better. This is a great thread. I hope others are thinking about all this. It's not meant to be a downer, I understand that. 0 0 < Cute face!

Coffee
03-17-2014, 20:14
I was browsing some properties in Front Royal very close to the trail and this subject definitely came to mind. Not the right timing for me but fun to think about living walking distance to the AT...

10-K
03-17-2014, 20:21
Mostly. But how about libel on whiteblaze, and/or feeding someone an undercooked piece of chicken at a trail feed? at least one of those would be covered, right?

Believe it or not but I'm pretty sure food poisoning from food you cooked at a hiker feed would be covered by your homeowners insurance. Again - an umbrella policy doesn't add additional coverage - it just adds a floating additional amount to the coverage you already have that can be applied on top of the coverage you've already purchased.

Libel:

What if someone sues you for slander stemming from a conversation in your home -- will your homeowners insurance protect you from major financial damage? What about libel, will that be covered?
The short answer to all the queries above is no, unless you make two moves.
1) Sign a personal injury endorsement on your homeowners policy. You are covered this way, it is important to note, only if the act of slander and libel was unintentional. In other words, if you set out to write or say something antagonistic -- this is not the way to go. Any statement made in the course of business or performing ones profession i.e. freelance writing would be excluded
Additionally, personal injury coverage is an extension of liability coverage which is not a on-the-premises-only coverage. You may still be covered if the offending statements were made off site.
2) Take out an umbrella policy (http://coverhound.com/insurance-learning-center/what-is-umbrella-insurance-and-do-you-need-it) on top of your home insurance policy.
Umbrella coverage would need to be purchased after adding the personal injury endorsement onto the homeowners policy, since the homeowners policy coverage would apply first and the umbrella policy would only pay loss in excess. Also they would need to verify that the umbrella coverage does actually cover personal injury as not all do.
Umbrella liability actually covers a lot more than slander and libel; it can also provide financial protection against defamation of character, wrongful imprisonment, invasion of privacy and defamation of character taking place in your home. Such a policy can also help cover your defense costs in the case of a lawsuit

Jeff
03-18-2014, 09:22
Right, i don't have a specific amount of $ in mind when they hand me "gas money", for instance.

If it is not prearranged and a hiker hands you gas money or a tip or a donation at the conclusion of your trip....and you made it to the destination without incident, then you are pretty safe from being sued.:)

Odd Man Out
03-18-2014, 09:37
My current plan is to hike the AT for about 70 miles north, ending at Daleville. If I happen to get a lift to a trail head or any other help from some friend of AT hikers, I hope she shows up with an empty gas tank as I will insist on paying for a fill-up. ;)

HikerMom58
03-18-2014, 09:47
If it is not prearranged and a hiker hands you gas money or a tip or a donation at the conclusion of your trip....and you made it to the destination without incident, then you are pretty safe from being sued.:)

Thanks Jeff! :) I'm not worried about it. I don't shuttle hikers all that much anyway. I really have enjoyed meeting all the hikers that have crossed my path in the past. I look forward to meeting others in the future.

It's fun being a part of this community. I'm sure you enjoy it too. :) It's been nice to interact with you, Jeff! I can't wait to head into VT and meet you personally!

Thank you Whiteblaze for this forum & the opportunity to interact with like minded folks. The wealth of information & support is amazing. Thank you Whiteblaze members for all your time, advice & friendship! It's a blast! :D

HikerMom58
03-18-2014, 09:52
My current plan is to hike the AT for about 70 miles north, ending at Daleville. If I happen to get a lift to a trail head or any other help from some friend of AT hikers, I hope she shows up with an empty gas tank as I will insist on paying for a fill-up. ;)

I'm here for ya.... I look forward to meeting you, OMO. I gotta get that hug! :D

lonehiker
03-18-2014, 11:28

Jeff has a great hostel. Put me up in 08.

kofritz
03-18-2014, 16:47
don't know much about the rates/undesirables, but i wish you the best if you open your house to hikers. the Green Mtns are wonderful but i have only been to Vermont twiced, and never in the winter, but hope to make it 1 day. the twiced was intentional.

Other
03-19-2014, 04:35
I suggest you charge at the same as the people your son recalls most fondly.

Other
03-19-2014, 05:38
I suggest that you charge at the same rate as the people your son recalls most fondly