PDA

View Full Version : Reubens on the trail

RangerZ
03-16-2014, 17:22
I was enjoying a reuben and onion rings last night (boy did my BGL suffer) and wondered how available they are on the trail. Anybody have any recommendations?

I may pursue a tortilla or pita version.

Rocket Jones
03-16-2014, 17:32
You can dehydrate kraut. Pick up some corned beef and swiss if you resupply at a grocery store, and you can have tortilla wrap reubens for a couple of days. Minimus.biz has individual packets of thousand island dressing and brown mustard.

Another Kevin
03-16-2014, 20:19
In NJ/NY/CT you can hike from deli to deli, or Greek diner to Greek diner. Expect reubens.

dmax
03-16-2014, 20:30
The Blue Blaze in Damascus makes them.

FarmerChef
03-16-2014, 20:52
In NJ/NY/CT you can hike from deli to deli, or Greek diner to Greek diner. Expect reubens.

This. And we literally mean you can hike DAILY from deli to deli (sometimes more than once in a day). As for making your own, here's a little tidbit. Do you make your own kraut? If not, it's easy. I won't go into how to do that here but here's the kicker. Aside from it being heavy when wet, as long as you vacuum seal it in the brine it is good at room temperature. So you could, in theory, hike packets of kraut ready to go into the woods. Technically, you could also pick up a can, mix up some extra brine and put all that in a vacuum bag.

On to the corned beef. You'll have to pick this up in a deli or grocery store along the way. These are plentiful. You could attempt to dehydrate it but I've never done that so I won't comment specifically on it. And, of course, you could just buy a reuben at the deli or grocery store but I digress....

The minimus.biz thousand island idea is a good one (have to check that one out myself). Wraps, pita, etc. all good ideas. First day out of town you could pack out real rye bread but it's bulky and has a tendency to squish in your pack. I've done it safely but it takes finesse.

Either way, have fun. Be creative and tell us what you did and how it worked. Always looking for new ideas for great eats on the trail! :)

MikeD
03-16-2014, 21:08
Hello fellow reuben fan, I made it a point to try any reuben along the trail on my thru. I would say most were good but by far the best was at Jacob's Pub in Dalton, MA. That was in 2011 so not sure if they are still there?