PDA

View Full Version : Western NC loop suggestions?

holocene
03-16-2014, 21:08
Hi, my girlfriend and I will be going on our 3rd annual western North Carolina backingpacking, whitewater rafting, pub crawling vacation week again here soon and I was hoping to get some suggestions for 2 to 3 night loops or in and outs. We are somewhat athletic but maybe not the fastest hikers out there. She seems to be comfortable at around 7 miles a day or so, although we will have lighter packs this year, and I like to take a lot of pictures.
Last year we did the Big Creek loop in the GSMNP which was awesome, even the hiking up Sterling in a thunderstorm, and also spent a few days on the eastern side of Linville gorge, again more thunderstorms, lol.
So this year I think we will start in the Elkmont area of gsmnp followed by some rafting on the Nantahalla, then for our second trip back into the backcountry I need some suggestions. We'd like to be closer to Asheville as we plan on relocating there and are trying to get to know the area better between trips. Also, we prefer to have a campfire.
So...
around 7ish miles a day
campfires allowed
near Asheville

Thanks

saltysack
03-16-2014, 21:37
Check out the standing Indian loop great loop around 22 miles great loop safe parking, just outside of Franklin North Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookinpanub
03-17-2014, 08:58
Try a loop out of the NPS Deep Creek Campground near Bryson City, NC. Any hike up the Deep Creek Trail is gorgeous. There are several loop possibilities. My favorite short loop is up the Deep Creek Trail, over Martins Gap, and back down the Indian Creek Trail. Have fun.

Zippy Morocco
03-17-2014, 10:12
I have a NatGeo map of the Pisgah Ranger District that you are welcome to. This is the area west and a little South of Asheville. I live in Asheville and it is my go to area. I have one loop highlighted on it. The Pisgah loop. It was nice though there are a lot of river crossings (like 20 and they are cold). There really are endless possibilities and I would be happy to send it to you since I am leaving the area very soon. PM me if you want me to send it (no charge) or I could hand it off in person if you are in the area. The Art Loeb is a really good Trek too but not a loop by itself.

Also, just so you know, most of the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed for the season. If you are planning on using that for access be sure to look it up.

Nooga
03-17-2014, 10:49
Check out the standing Indian loop great loop around 22 miles great loop safe parking, just outside of Franklin North Carolina

Agree. This is a great loop trail.

daddytwosticks
03-17-2014, 16:08
Agree. This is a great loop trail.

Also agree. Great hike! :)

holocene
03-17-2014, 17:52
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had looked at standing indian loop before but had ruled it out b/c I wanted something further into nc, I was thinking it being closer to ga I might fit it into a long weekend trip. I does look like it would be awesome though, with some nice views. Seems to fit the bill, perhaps I should reconsider. How busy is it? would I have trouble finding campsites in mid may?

I Haven't looked into the deep creek area. We did the short waterfall loop on a day hike there a few years ago, it was very pretty. I'll check it out.

I really appreciate the offer zippy but I already have the map:D
Where can i find more info on the pisgah loop? Or what trails did you take? How deep are the water crossings?

Thanks again for the suggestions, If anyone has any other ideas feel free to chime in!

saltysack
03-20-2014, 22:07
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had looked at standing indian loop before but had ruled it out b/c I wanted something further into nc, I was thinking it being closer to ga I might fit it into a long weekend trip. I does look like it would be awesome though, with some nice views. Seems to fit the bill, perhaps I should reconsider. How busy is it? would I have trouble finding campsites in mid may?

I Haven't looked into the deep creek area. We did the short waterfall loop on a day hike there a few years ago, it was very pretty. I'll check it out.

I really appreciate the offer zippy but I already have the map:D
Where can i find more info on the pisgah loop? Or what trails did you take? How deep are the water crossings?

Thanks again for the suggestions, If anyone has any other ideas feel free to chime in!

I've done this loop several times in both directions and really enjoy. There are plenty of spots to tent. Park at standing indian backcountry parking just past camp ground up long branch trail to AT(glassmine gap) turn rt over Albert and SI mtn rt @ deep gap down Kinsey creek trail to car....

dmax
03-20-2014, 23:19
The Lower Ridge Trail from Standing Indian is a good way back down too.

dmax
03-20-2014, 23:24
Park in Erwin. Get shuttle up to Sams Gap. Hike back to Erwin. Raft the Nolichucky. There's no bar hoping here though. You'd need Asheville for that.