PDA

View Full Version : Pasayten Wilderness, WA

Feral Bill
03-16-2014, 23:31
Any of you been there? I'm looking at a loop in the central part, a bit east of the PCT.

Sly
03-17-2014, 00:11
Extraordinary, surreal! Try to avoid rainy season.

Feral Bill
03-17-2014, 00:28
Extraordinary, surreal! Try to avoid rainy season. I like surreal! July or August should be fairly dry. Do tell me more.

Shutterbug
03-17-2014, 16:11
Any of you been there? I'm looking at a loop in the central part, a bit east of the PCT.

It has been quite a few years since I have been in that part of the state. I am afraid I can't be of much help.

Some people believe there are still grizzlies in that area. Someone took a picture of one a couple of years ago.

Feral Bill
03-17-2014, 19:55
It has been quite a few years since I have been in that part of the state. I am afraid I can't be of much help.

Some people believe there are still grizzlies in that area. Someone took a picture of one a couple of years ago. Yes, the official story is that there are a few grizzlies. Not a problem for me. I'll bring a telephoto lens for just such occasions. I am wondering about hammocking opportunities. It looks like trees are sparse in places.

Shutterbug
03-17-2014, 22:27
Yes, the official story is that there are a few grizzlies. Not a problem for me. I'll bring a telephoto lens for just such occasions. I am wondering about hammocking opportunities. It looks like trees are sparse in places. When I hike above the tree line, I take a bivy. It isn't as comfortable as a hammock, but keeps my sleeping bag dry.

Feral Bill
03-17-2014, 22:53
I guess I'll be prepared either way. One tarp fits all.

Sly
03-18-2014, 01:36
Some people believe there are still grizzlies in that area. Someone took a picture of one a couple of years ago.

I don't think it so much they're still there but have re-habituated.

Feral Bill, I can't recommend any trails except for the PCT, but I'm sure you can't go wrong. Try the Forest Service page for the wilderness.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=79431