PDA

View Full Version : Short overnight near Boone

2NewKnees
03-17-2014, 13:22
Anybody have a suggestion for a short overnight trip near Boone, NC? Heading up for a clinic Friday into Sat. then was gonna go backpacking for the night. Been to the Gorge several times, and Grandfather Mountain. Any other suggestions of a good place to go?
Thanks,

TEXMAN
03-17-2014, 13:30
Go to Grayson Highlands State Park In Va about 30+ miles from Boone ...hike up to the AT and see the wild ponies ..great views / open landscape

Old Man River

TEXMAN
03-17-2014, 13:34
Go to Grayson Highlands State Park In Va about 30+ miles from Boone ...hike up to the AT and see the wild ponies ..great views / open landscape

Old Man River
Her is entry from one of first thru hikers to get to Grayson Highllands this past Friday (with photo of pony)
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=444885

Tennessee Viking
03-17-2014, 13:44
Roan/Buck Mountain area, Shady Valley, and Damascus are the closest AT spots to Boone.

Stone Mtn SP and Pilot Mtn SP have miles of trail with SP campgrounds facilities.

Ever tried the MST-Beacon Heights to NC 181, or shorter below Grandfather. There are access points at Roseborough Road and Pineola Road. The area goes from easy creekside trail to steep inclines with several waterfalls and side trails.

There are miles of the MST around Boone (north of Beacon Heights is not yet permitted for primitive camping but is in process) that have basic hostels/permitted private property camping near the trail.

I believe there is one near Phillips Gap and another just past Sheets Gap. Don't know the exact details.

flemdawg1
03-17-2014, 13:45
Carters Gap to 19E, park and shuttle from Mtn Harbor.

Venchka
03-17-2014, 17:37
Carters Gap to 19E, park and shuttle from Mtn Harbor.

Hypothetical question:
Could you park at Mountain Harbor and hike to Roan High Knob shelter and back on an overnight trip?

Wayne

Sent from the State of Delerium.

Hikerhead
03-17-2014, 19:20
Hypothetical question:
Could you park at Mountain Harbor and hike to Roan High Knob shelter and back on an overnight trip?

Wayne

Not unless you're some kind of superhiker. Get an early start and get to the Overmountain Shelter. You'll go to bed early that night I bet. Starting off with a 3 mile never ending climb to Doll Flats. A mile of rock hopping. Another Mile to get up on Big Hump.

Venchka
03-17-2014, 20:58
Thanks. 2 nights min., 3-4 would be better. Going back to 19E would be a lot easier.
I have this fool notion of spending New Year's Eve at Roan Shelter. I may start Christmas Day.

Wayne

2NewKnees
03-17-2014, 21:21
Thanks for the info. Think I may look into the MST section. Later this spring I'd like to hike the Roan section. Been to Grayson Highlands several times and took my daughter there for her first trip last spring. Love it up there. Looks like the weather may be good Saturday night!