PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap to Knoxville

CalebJ
03-17-2014, 13:48
I'm hoping to finish up the BMT (northbound) around 5/6 or 5/7. Does anybody have suggestions for getting from Davenport Gap to Knoxville so I can catch a bus ride home?
Thanks!

10-K
03-17-2014, 14:43
Standing Bear Farm for the shuttle.

TNhiker
03-17-2014, 16:31
you could hitch hike from interstate 40......

Ox97GaMe
03-20-2014, 01:51
you could hitch hike from interstate 40......

This is not a good option for the following reasons:
a) There is very little traffic that gets on/off this exit. There is no gas station, store, or tourist attraction. Big Creek isn't a largely visited area of the park like other areas. Limited traffic options when standing at the bottom of the exit.

b) The exit is actually on a near blind curve. Meaning..... traffic on I-40 will probably not see you in time to slow down and pull over. The road is fairly curvy and drivers are focusing on the highway and not looking for people on the side of the highway.

A shuttle to Knoxville may be rather expensive, about an hour and a half drive. Hitching from Hartford or Newport may not be easy either.

CalebJ
03-20-2014, 09:39
It looks like a friend that works in the GSMNP is going to shuttle me from Big Creek over to the Knoxville bus station. I'll definitely keep Standing Bear Farm in mind for the future though. I still want to do a thru-hike but with a baby on the way in August, this might be my last big trip for quite some time.