PDA

View Full Version : Bar Food

Mother Natures Son
03-17-2014, 19:08
Who makes the best bar food along the trail? (Burgers, fries etc.)

lonehiker
03-17-2014, 19:11
The Doyle.

Last Call
03-17-2014, 19:11
I'm partial to CLIF bars, they just have a better taste than the other energy bars. On occasion Kroger has a sale on them 10 / $10.00.

oldwetherman
03-17-2014, 19:29
1+ on the Doyle. All their meals are great. Pat and Vicky are special people also.

rafe
03-17-2014, 19:39
Thru hikers are unfit judges. They'll eat anything.

tiptoe
03-17-2014, 19:39
+2 for the Doyle, and the Port Clinton Hotel is good, too. I pretty much wolf down anything anywhere when I'm hiking. Most hikers do.

Prime Time
03-17-2014, 19:41
The Doyle for sure. Plus the general seediness of the place is such a trip that it makes it the best overall hiker trash dive experience.

rafe
03-17-2014, 20:32
The pub at the Doyle was the least seedy part. The lodging was another story.

WingedMonkey
03-17-2014, 20:49
I don't go to bars to eat. I don't go to restaurants to drink.

rickb
03-17-2014, 21:06
I've never been to The Doyle. How does in compare to the Salt Pub in Gorham?

bfayer
03-17-2014, 21:06
I don't go to bars to eat. I don't go to restaurants to drink.

What do you do in Virginia? In VA by law the only thing you can have is a restaurant that serves alcohol. Sounds silly but true.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Rain Man
03-17-2014, 21:10
The Port Clinton Hotel "bar" was surprising good.

Rain Man

fredmugs
03-17-2014, 22:05
The Doyle. Timed my hike to be there on Sunday so there wouldn't be a band playing that night. Rolled in when it was mid 90s and the bar was air conditioned. Got to knock down some Yuengling with the local bubbas and watch NASCAR. Tried to order a Philly Steak and Cheese with large fries and was told I could not eat a large order of fries. Challenged accepted! Vicky gave me a "regular" order and told me if it wasn't enough she would give me more. It was enough and one of the better philly's I've ever had. I would eat there even if I wasn't hiker hungry.

Misery
03-17-2014, 22:30
Heritage Bar in Waynesboro VA. The food was by far the best I had anywhere on trail. The atmosphere was a little nicer than I was used to but everyone was friendly. They even had a one pound burger with all the toppings I could ask for on a pretzel bun. Fantastic

HighLiner
03-17-2014, 22:35
Doyle. 20 years ago I thought it was Mountain Mammas at the end of the smokies park. No longer there.

flemdawg1
03-18-2014, 09:57
Paddler's Pub had good grub back in the day. Doyle was a close second.

rafe
03-18-2014, 10:32
The Doyle. Timed my hike to be there on Sunday so there wouldn't be a band playing that night.

It's not like I planned around it, but I enjoyed the pub music at the Doyle. I already forgot the gal's name who was playin' but she hit a lot of my favorite tunes. Rolled out of there the next morning in high spirits.

jdc5294
03-18-2014, 11:35
This is gonna be insanely vauge, but I met a girl in Harper's Ferry and she took me to this bar on a pretty steep hill on the far side of town, great burgers there too. I'll try to use Google maps to find what it was called.

Kerosene
03-18-2014, 11:40
Boy, I really enjoyed my burger and beer at Dot's in Damascus after a quick section hike from Atkins in June 2007.

There's a brewpub in the Norwich Inn, just across the river in Vermont from Hanover, that had an incredible Shepherd's Pie. It was so good that I ate it for lunch, drank a few beers while watching a soccer game, and came back to do it all over again for dinner (September 2000). Sadly, the Shepherd's Pie (with chunks of lamb) is no longer on the menu.

Long Trail Inn also springs to mind, as does River's End Café in NOC, although that's less of a pub than the others.

I walked through downtown Duncannon with my 12-year old daughter in July 2003 (filling in a 2-mile gap between the Susquehanna River (where I started north in April 1974) and the climb south out of town (where I started south in June 1979). We took pics in front of the Doyle, but I didn't feel right about dragging her into a dark dingy bar in late morning for a beer!

Tennessee Viking
03-18-2014, 12:12
Anything in Damascus.

Pals Drive Thru in Erwin.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-18-2014, 17:10
.....is Trent's Grocery, but the big cheeseburgers prepared at the grill inside the store are great, and just a quarter- to a half-mile off of the trail northeast of Bland, VA.

AO

greenmtnboy
03-18-2014, 17:22
Kent pizza garden, one good thing about Kent. AYCE Wednesday night pasta, with every imaginable variety of pasta and sauce, from pesto to meatballs and sauce to veggie sauce.

Just Bill
03-18-2014, 17:23
Also a fan of the Inn at the Long Trail.

RED-DOG
03-18-2014, 18:00
I have hike the AT three times and the Doyle Hotel in Duncanon PA makes the best food hands down but the Dairy King in Damascus was a close second but they closed down, but their is a place in Damascus (can't remember the name) as you walking out of town right on the corner across the road from the old Laundry mate, they make a really great breakfast. but yeah for me the bar of choice is SNICKERS or those little Snicker squares their good too.

RED-DOG
03-18-2014, 18:03
Also i forgot the Bakery in the Delaware water Gap makes absolutly scrumptous Apple Pies.

rafe
03-18-2014, 18:23
Also a fan of the Inn at the Long Trail.

Add one more. Got the t-shirt, too. Time was, I guess, when it was right on the AT. I had no intention of missing it, though. Non-purists can reach it via the Sherburne Trail. There's camping across the highway, as well.

Lone Wolf
03-18-2014, 20:05
the Dairy King in Damascus was a close second but they closed down, but their is a place in Damascus (can't remember the name) as you walking out of town right on the corner across the road from the old Laundry mate, they make a really great breakfast.
Dairy King is open. doin' better than ever. Cowboys is the breakfast you speak of

bamboo bob
03-18-2014, 20:51
Long Trail Inn and the Doyle. Paddlers Pub was good but at that point I was less choosy.

liberty lover
03-18-2014, 22:45
Would that be "The Secret Six Tavern"?Awesome food and ale just feet off the AT in Harpers Ferry.

Deacon
03-18-2014, 22:48
I also love the Inn at the Long Trail. The owners, the people, the beer, all great.

Other
03-19-2014, 05:55
I think the food is good at the place on the lake in Monson. and it has a hostel upstairs, or stay at Shaw's and follow it up with an outstanding breakfast. The Doyle and Inn at the Long trail were also first rate.

wyclif
03-19-2014, 07:42
First place that came to mind is The Doyle. Sure, it's a dive, but as far as seedy bars/pubs go it's tops. It's hardly five-star accomodation, but it's a great place to flop when you're tired from hiking the PA section.

flemdawg1
03-19-2014, 10:43
I think the food is good at the place on the lake in Monson. and it has a hostel upstairs, or stay at Shaw's and follow it up with an outstanding breakfast. The Doyle and Inn at the Long trail were also first rate.

http://www.thelakeshorehouse.com/

This is probably where I'll stay when I do my section this summer.

jdc5294
03-19-2014, 15:49
Would that be "The Secret Six Tavern"?Awesome food and ale just feet off the AT in Harpers Ferry.
I think so, all I can remember is the street it was on was on a pretty steep hill.

rafe
03-19-2014, 16:08
There used to be a good pub at Culver Gap in NJ, about 0.1 mile off to the left, for nobos. I showed up late morning hoping for a big breakfast. No dice, so I settled for a cheeseburger, fries and beer instead. Great view out the back porch.

Lone Wolf
03-19-2014, 20:58
There used to be a good pub at Culver Gap in NJ, about 0.1 mile off to the left, for nobos. I showed up late morning hoping for a big breakfast. No dice, so I settled for a cheeseburger, fries and beer instead. Great view out the back porch.Gyp's Tavern

Violent Green
03-19-2014, 22:46
Iron Horse Station in Hot Springs. Straight up ridiculous burgers and you walk right past it on the AT. The Magnolia Inn also in Hot Springs has some of the best food you will ever eat although it isn't bar food.

Ryan

Other
03-20-2014, 03:47
Forgot about Gyp's Tavern and the Iron Horse, seconds on both

AT_Walker
03-25-2014, 17:58
Spring Creek Tavern in Hot Springs. I'm there right now.

Follow me at:
2014nobo.wordpress.com

rafe
03-25-2014, 19:03
Spring Creek Tavern in Hot Springs. I'm there right now.

Follow me at:
2014nobo.wordpress.com

Oh rub it in why doncha.:p

rafe
03-25-2014, 19:24
The pub on the waterfront in Monson was a good 'un. Port Clinton was a good 'un. I like a cold Yuengling in the middle of a hot hike.

There was decent (not spectacular) pub food just off the trail at both Keys Gap and Snickers Gap.

South Mtn. Inn, in MD, a two minute walk from the trail. Very upscale.

magic_game03
03-25-2014, 20:33
+1 for the Doyle.

I still get laughs thinking of the Doyle. My very first time in there I ordered some kind of burger and a plate of fries. Even though the bar maid could obviously tell that I was a hiker she still asked me if I thought i could eat it all. After closing in on the last few bites I caused two patrons to exit after one remarked that I made him sick just watching me eat all that food. I then ordered something that came on a hoagie (I think it was a philly cheese steak) and proceed to fulfill my appetite while simultaneously chasing out a third customer who looked like he was about to hurl.

…man those were the days :)

the goat
10-13-2014, 18:40
the doyle. and it's not even close.

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2014, 21:12
Also i forgot the Bakery in the Delaware water Gap makes absolutely scrumptious Apple Pies.
Village Farmer
Address: 52 Broad St, Delaware Water Gap, PA 18327
Phone:(570) 476-9440

First place that came to mind is The Doyle. Sure, it's a dive, but as far as seedy bars/pubs go it's tops. It's hardly five-star accomodation, but it's a great place to flop when you're tired from hiking the PA section.

Uh yea needs fixing up but its the comraderie of other hikers and the owners.

the doyle. and it's not even close.
My passionate vote.
>>>>>Port Clinton Hotel. I have been to both... give me time.

rafe
10-13-2014, 21:25
Levi Long used to cook up a good mess for hikers down in Bastian. Some of the old pharts remember Levi.

rocketsocks
10-14-2014, 06:23
Also i forgot the Bakery in the Delaware water Gap makes absolutly scrumptous Apple Pies.
Brought home two chicken pot pie from there...good stuffs.

Montana
10-14-2014, 10:57
The only place good enough for me to warrent a 0 day: The Kennebec River Brewery.

Maybe it was just the beer that was good.

ScottTrip
10-14-2014, 11:28
There is a direct relation to how good the Bar Food is, to the amount of hiking days since the last food. If it has been 6 - 7 days of eating out of your backpack ANY Bar food is the best.... But the Doyle and Port Clinton are really good.

Dogwood
10-14-2014, 14:01
I'm not the greasy burger, cheese, and fries type. I absolutely loved the daily fresh homemade hearty meals, mostly Vegan or vegetarian, various drinks, namely the hibiscus iced tea(delish!), baked goods(they are homemade not made from a boxed recipe bread and muffins are the BEST on/near the AT I've sampled) from Twelve Tribes Hostel/Restaurant in Rutland VT. I would hope we all can sit down with people of opposite faiths or no faith at all and enjoy a hearty handcrafted delicious meal without all the belief infighting. PLEASE no derogatory anti-religious comments!!!

wornoutboots
10-14-2014, 21:58
Bob's Dairyland in Roan Mountain isn't a bar but has killer sloppy burgers

Mrs Baggins
10-15-2014, 06:58
Sadly that place is no longer "The Secret Six" - now it's some fru fru place called Potomac Grill. Loved going to the "...Six" after hikes and always took guests there. Food could be off and on in quality but the fries and cold draft beers were always great. Turning into a DC-sounding chi chi cafe is a complete turn-off. There are other places to eat in town.

rickb
10-15-2014, 07:26
The half price appetizers during happy hour at the Woodstock Inn (North Woodstock, NH) are excellent and a very good deal for the area.