PDA

View Full Version : Watch where you are going :)

Doctari
09-15-2005, 21:25
This is from the darwin awards web site. While not a hiking story, I think it's relevent advice (and darn funny):

Watch Where You're Going
2004 Personal Account
(Summer 2003, USA) I hired several laborers to prepare two garden areas for me. They needed some supplies, so I showed them the location of ice water and the bathroom, and left to obtain the supplies. Upon my return, I noticed an ambulance in front of my home, along with two police cars.

The police informed me that the neighbor had called 911 to report a naked man screaming and running around the yard next door.

As it turned out, one of the laborers had needed to answer the call of nature. Rather than use the bathroom I had shown him, he went into the woods behind our house, dropped his trousers, and squatted down -- right on top of a huge nest of hornets.

He was released from the hospital after about a week, having learned a very painful and nearly fatal lesson: always watch where you're going.

DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2005

titanium_hiker
09-15-2005, 21:58
that's funny- the other moral is "follow instructions" - particularly after teaching the grade 7's grrr...

titanium

Just Jeff
09-16-2005, 00:13
'Cept hornets hang their nests from trees. Yellow jackets live in the ground, though.

frieden
09-16-2005, 01:29
Fire ants. We deal with fire ants, here. They don't wait for something to sit on them; they hunt and kill.

The joke would be funny, if the thought wasn't freakin' me out! <shudder>

Just Jeff
09-16-2005, 03:52
July 4, 2000
Bit by a single fire ant on top of my foot

Halloween 2000
Still had a scab from the blister

Today
Can still barely see the scar from that damn bug

Ouch.

Just Jeff
09-16-2005, 03:53
Hrm...that was Labor Day, not Halloween. Still more than two months, though!

TOW
09-16-2005, 05:43
woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!