PDA

View Full Version : Chicken foil packets

slovakiasteph
03-18-2014, 17:51
I went to my grocery store (Meijer) intending to pick up a few chicken packets for backpacking-- all they had was a 6 oz. packet that cost $3! Anyone know of a place to find cheaper and/or smaller packets? They have plenty of tuna packets, and I seem to remember buying smaller/cheaper chicken ones last year.

If I can't find any, I might have to use cans! :eek:

Thanks!

HooKooDooKu
03-18-2014, 18:04
The only thing I find around here is the Tyson 7oz packets for about $2.50. Otherwise, it's cans.

Dogwood
03-18-2014, 18:15
The only thing I find around here is the Tyson 7oz packets for about $2.50. Otherwise, it's cans.

That's about as cheap in a foil packet you are going to get. If the cost of chicken in foil packets is too pricey for ya don't buy it. Eat something else or buy cans.

WingedMonkey
03-18-2014, 18:30
Sweet Sue chicken comes in both 3 oz and 7 oz.

They are owned by Bumble Bee Foods now, but have a web site, ask them where it is sold in your area.

http://www.sweetsuekitchens.com:8080/Products/

Rolls Kanardly
03-18-2014, 18:33
How about live chickens on the AT. Free Range chickens and as long as one was still moving when you caught it, it would be spoilage free.
What a concept, dinner that feeds itself and finds it own shelter at night and wakes you in the morning.
Na, I guess not. Cleaning a chicken would gross out people. :D
Rolls

Coffee
03-18-2014, 18:45
I haven't been able to find chicken packets at my local grocery or at Wal-Mart, only tuna packets. Chicken packets would be great to have if they were widely available. Where are they available along the AT?

WingedMonkey
03-18-2014, 18:48
I've had success with dehydrating canned chicken and turkey goes well with stuffing.

I've also opened a larger pouch and ate it over a two day period. Being careful not to use a dirty spoon in it or take it more out of the pouch than I'm using.

Some may be skittish about this, I've never had bad results over just two days.

Another Kevin
03-18-2014, 20:23
Sweet Sue/Bumble Bee pouch chicken was discontinued a couple of years ago. They had a sanitation problem with a supplier. The web site still lists it, but they haven't actually brought it back.

The only place that I reliably find pouch chicken around here is Target, which has Valley Fresh. It comes in 7 oz pouches only. In winter, that's not a problem. In warm weather, the solution is to ask someone hiking with me. I know several people who will gladly eat my cooking on the trail.

BryceB
03-18-2014, 20:44
Kroger had the larger pouches of chicken (7oz?). They were Kroger brand and I'm pretty sure they had a few "flavored" styles too. In the Tuna section.

Venchka
03-18-2014, 20:57
3.5 ounces for lunch. 3.5 ounces for dinner. No spoilage problems.
Next non-problem?
"Eat more chiken"

Wayne

Sent from the State of Delerium.

Drybones
03-18-2014, 20:57
I recently stocked up on 3-oz Sweet Sue chicken packets from Big Johnson's....make that Giant Johnson's...the wife corrects me every time I call it that...just seems to fit.

Kraken Skullz
03-18-2014, 20:59
Target and most grocery stores have foil packaged chicken in SE portions of the US. Find them in SC, GA, NC qt bi-lo or food lion.

Odd Man Out
03-18-2014, 21:01
Has anyone ever bothered to weight a foil package and a can to find out the difference? Is it possible the packets are not as light as we think they are?

Drybones
03-18-2014, 21:26
Has anyone ever bothered to weight a foil package and a can to find out the difference? Is it possible the packets are not as light as we think they are?

The biggest problem with can is they dont pack well into my z-lock trash bag.

Last Call
03-18-2014, 21:36
SPAM also now comes in the single serving foil packets - best invention since sliced bread!

Studlintsean
03-18-2014, 22:43
I haven't been able to find chicken packets at my local grocery or at Wal-Mart, only tuna packets. Chicken packets would be great to have if they were widely available. Where are they available along the AT?

I have found the Tyson chicken packets at the Target by 7 corners.

drifter
03-18-2014, 23:05
The smaller packets have been difficult to find the past 18 months, still amazes me that apparently there is so much demand for tuna and zero chicken. I've resorted to dehydrating canned chicken which actually works pretty well.

daddytwosticks
03-19-2014, 07:17
Just get your chicken in the smallest can. The weight difference between the smallest can and smallest foil packet has to be miniscule. :)

WingedMonkey
03-23-2014, 15:37
Sweet Sue/Bumble Bee pouch chicken was discontinued a couple of years ago. They had a sanitation problem with a supplier. The web site still lists it, but they haven't actually brought it back.

After you posted this I started wondering how long the two 7 oz pouches had been in my hiking/hurricane food box. I was sure I had bought them within the last year at Wall-mart (expiration date Mar 26 2015).

Today I was at Publix and saw the 7 oz Sweet Sue on the shelf next to the Tysons. No 3 oz.

Must be back in production.

Drybones
03-23-2014, 17:55

The only place that I reliably find pouch chicken around here is Target, which has Valley Fresh. It comes in 7 oz pouches only. In winter, that's not a problem. In warm weather, the solution is to ask someone hiking with me. I know several people who will gladly eat my cooking on the trail.

A local store has the Sweet Sue 3 oz packs.

Tuckahoe
03-23-2014, 18:07
http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Chicken-Breast-Single/dp/B00BX4582W/ref=sr_1_6?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1395612414&sr=1-6&keywords=sweet+sue+chicken

Amazon has the 3oz packaging as well

Venchka
03-23-2014, 18:31
Did anyone think to ask the store manager what the status of chicken in foil packages is? My little supermarket in the woods, the only game in town and part of a smallish regional chain, is very good about getting things that people ask for. Like French Market Coffee and Camellia Red Beans. Mrs. Wayne is not happy when she doesn't have her French Market Coffee and only uses Camellia Red Beans to make her red beans and rice.
People in the grocery business will listen to their customers.
To the OP: Did you look at any other grocery stores in town for small packages of chicken? Or is the Meijer store the only game in town?

They actually list 3 & 7 ounce foil packages on their web page.

http://www.sweetsuekitchens.com:8080/Products/

For reason, I'm having a hard time picturing buying groceries from Amazon or, the last place I would shop for anything, ebay.

Wayne

Another Kevin
03-23-2014, 18:51
It's back? Great! I didn't quite believe the Amazon listing, because I'd seen it during the time the packets were unavailable, and it turned out that when I tried to order, the vendor was out of stock and didn't know when they'd get more. (There are also places that list Polar Pure iodine for sale, and I know that the government shut down the manufacturer. Some places either don't update their listings to reflect their stock, or else continue to advertise stuff they don't have, to get you to look at their other goods.)

Venchka
03-23-2014, 20:23
One more time. I'm old. I don't get it.
What is so important about the 3 ounce size? If hiker appetite is for real, 3 ounces wouldn't hardly register as eating.

Wayne

myakka_
03-23-2014, 20:36
I go to the deli, and have my favorite meats sliced thick, then put them on the dehydrator. A lot of weight goes away. Then I vacuum seal single serve portions, so between the dehydrating and the sealed bag, I have no spoilage issues.

Odd Man Out
03-23-2014, 20:39
What is so important about the 3 ounce size? If hiker appetite is for real, 3 ounces wouldn't hardly register as eating.

Wayne

I would add it as a supplement to another dish, such as a Pasta Side, or Rice and Beans mix.

Tuckahoe
03-23-2014, 21:31

Wayne

I would add it as a supplement to another dish, such as a Pasta Side, or Rice and Beans mix.

Additionally not every hiker is a thru, and not every hiker tries to eat everything they can lay their hands on. I eat the same on the trail as I do at home in reasonable portions. My daily food often comes in at 1.25 to 1.5 lbs a day.

Rocket Jones
03-24-2014, 05:54
My local WalMart had several kinds of the small 3oz chicken packs in various flavors and varieties. Averaged just over a buck a package.

Venchka
03-24-2014, 07:39
So the small package size is mainly a convenience thing? Thanks.

Wayne

Coffee
03-24-2014, 07:44
I would also favor the 3 ounce package if I can find it since I would like to add it to a Knorr side or something similar to get more protein and make it more of a real meal.

Venchka
03-24-2014, 07:47
...while not having to deal with the leftover 3.5 ounces until the next meal.

Wayne

slbirdnerd
03-24-2014, 07:50
Kroger had the larger pouches of chicken (7oz?). They were Kroger brand and I'm pretty sure they had a few "flavored" styles too. In the Tuna section.

Kroger still has them, top shelf by the canned chicken/tuna. They are kind of large, I'm with the OP I'd love a smaller pouch. But I do like the idea above of dehydrating the pouch chicken. Throw it and some Craisins in your stuffing and you have Thanksgiving dinner. :)

Old Grouse
03-24-2014, 12:03
How about live chickens on the AT. Free Range chickens and as long as one was still moving when you caught it, it would be spoilage free.
What a concept, dinner that feeds itself and finds it own shelter at night and wakes you in the morning.
Rolls

My girls have been known to kill mice for sport, which would be good at shelters. The downside is that their presence would attract larger critters.

tsgosnell
03-28-2014, 20:11
just got back from a wally world run, they no longer carry the 3.5's only the 7

tsgosnell
03-28-2014, 20:12
However, they did have foil packs of ground beef and spicy ground beef, gonna try out some trail tacos next

ChuckT
03-28-2014, 20:19
Ground beef? Hmm must look for some.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

WingedMonkey
03-28-2014, 20:41
However, they did have foil packs of ground beef and spicy ground beef, gonna try out some trail tacos next

I picked these up at Walmart this year for my "hurricane supplies".

Which in reality always become my backpacking foods in the fall, because if we do lose power the first thing we do is crank up the generators to keep the freezers and microwave going.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23811&d=1378303275&thumb=1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23811&d=1378303275)http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23812&d=1378303282&thumb=1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23812&d=1378303282)

I posted about theses in a thread back in September. Since then I had a chance to use them in the woods.

With the corned beef I made some hash browns (Hungry Jack) and fried them together. Loved it.

With the beef crumbles, I added some cheddar and some condiments on a flour tortilla wrap. Just like a trail cheeseburger.

:sun

bigcranky
03-28-2014, 22:14
http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Chicken-Breast-Single/dp/B00BX4582W/ref=sr_1_6?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1395612414&sr=1-6&keywords=sweet+sue+chicken

Amazon has the 3oz packaging as well

Wow, a box of 12 of the 3oz packs is $39 plus $10 shipping. But a box of 12 of the 7 ounce packs is available from Amazon prime for $34 with free shipping. More than twice as much chicken for a lot less cash. Implies that it's no longer manufactured, though of course I don't have any real knowledge one way or the other.

Tuckahoe
03-28-2014, 22:50
You're probably correct, because searching Sweet Sue 3oz packs also turns up this page -- http://www.sears.com/sweet-sue-chicken-breast-3oz-single-serve-pouch/p-SPM7825694002 -- which says an 18 pack variety is unavailable. But it also turns up at Sears' online site the same 12 pack variety at $53+ -- http://www.sears.com/sweet-sue-chicken-breast-3oz-single-serve-pouch/p-SPM7825694002.

ChuckT
03-29-2014, 05:09
Buy the 7 oz packages and subdivide with a vacuum sealer?

bigcranky
03-29-2014, 08:03
Buy the 7 oz packages and subdivide with a vacuum sealer?

No, because then they will require refrigeration -- vacuum sealing does NOT prevent bacteria growth.

Drybones
03-29-2014, 08:24

Wayne

I use them to give some variation to Raimen noodles, throw a 3-oz bag and whatever spices you have in a zip lock with the noodles.

Hot Flash
03-29-2014, 08:42
Kroger still has them, top shelf by the canned chicken/tuna. They are kind of large, I'm with the OP I'd love a smaller pouch. But I do like the idea above of dehydrating the pouch chicken. Throw it and some Craisins in your stuffing and you have Thanksgiving dinner. :)

I just don't get why so many are saying to dehydrate canned or pouch chicken. What a silly waste of money! For the cost of two tiny pouches you can buy a whole freakin' chicken, cook it up yourself, and dehydrate it.

Weather-man
03-29-2014, 08:53
Delete....I posted a freeze dried chicken suggestion but need to do some research first.

WingedMonkey
03-29-2014, 11:19
I just don't get why so many are saying to dehydrate canned or pouch chicken. What a silly waste of money! For the cost of two tiny pouches you can buy a whole freakin' chicken, cook it up yourself, and dehydrate it.

While I would not bother to dehydrate pouch chicken (It's already too expensive), using canned chicken and even more so turkey, takes a long process and turns it into something I can do at the last minute while I'm packing/planning a trip.

It's already low in fat (something I don't waste in a home cooked whole chicken).

It's simple to portion out. A 12.5 oz can claims it serves six, I know it serves three as a side dish. Dehydrate a drained can, portion into three and it's over.

I don't mind stewing a chicken at home, but removing the skin and taking it off the bones and straining it and rinsing it and portioning it out, and then dehydrating it is not something done quickly.

I dont make my own mashed potatoes and stuffing and gravy to go with it either.

On the other hand, the sweet potatoes and the greens from the garden I do. They are easy.

I do enjoy a good pagan holiday feast on the trail. But don't wanna spend a lot of time at home cooking it.

SS/SB
03-29-2014, 11:48
yeah that discovery recently in WalMart made me go tingly

Hot Flash
03-29-2014, 12:00
... takes a long process and turns it into something I can do at the last minute while I'm packing/planning a trip.

...don't wanna spend a lot of time at home cooking it.

Well, then we agree to disagree, since it only takes me five minutes to throw a chicken in the slowcooker, and another five minutes to bone it and throw it into the dehydrator, saving many dollars over the cost of buying individual packets and generating all that extra waste.

lonehiker
03-29-2014, 12:02
Let's pray for dehydrated chicken......

ChuckT
03-29-2014, 16:37
Col. Sanders is not pleased.

RangerZ
03-29-2014, 19:53
Additionally not every hiker is a thru, and not every hiker tries to eat everything they can lay their hands on. I eat the same on the trail as I do at home in reasonable portions. My daily food often comes in at 1.25 to 1.5 lbs a day.

I agree Venchka - today I threw half a 7 oz pouch in with the pasta, drained the rest and added tartar sauce for chicken salad while the pasta cozied.

slovakiasteph
03-29-2014, 21:04
Sorry I've been absent! I stopped getting e-mail notifications that folks were posting here.

I do like the eat half at lunch, half at dinner idea. Yeah, I'm a section hiker, so I can't/don't want to eat a whole 7oz at one meal.

I tried dehydrating chicken, but I think I must've over-dried it because it takes forever to rehydrate. I often do FBC, so everything else would be done, but the chicken still pretty hard.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I've looked in my local Kroger as well.

Carryless
03-30-2014, 02:07
Chicken of the Sea also has Salmon in the 3.5 oz. foil package. Nice deviation from Tuna and mixes well with pasta & rice.
It's available on West Coast at the 99 Cents Only Store; oft ridiculed Jay Leno for their Bridal Registry.

daddytwosticks
03-30-2014, 06:36
While I would not bother to dehydrate pouch chicken (It's already too expensive), using canned chicken and even more so turkey, takes a long process and turns it into something I can do at the last minute while I'm packing/planning a trip.

It's already low in fat (something I don't waste in a home cooked whole chicken).

It's simple to portion out. A 12.5 oz can claims it serves six, I know it serves three as a side dish. Dehydrate a drained can, portion into three and it's over.

I don't mind stewing a chicken at home, but removing the skin and taking it off the bones and straining it and rinsing it and portioning it out, and then dehydrating it is not something done quickly.

I dont make my own mashed potatoes and stuffing and gravy to go with it either.

On the other hand, the sweet potatoes and the greens from the garden I do. They are easy.

I do enjoy a good pagan holiday feast on the trail. But don't wanna spend a lot of time at home cooking it.

Doesn't Mountain House make a grilled chicken breast. gravy, and mashed potatoes freeze-dried dinner? I've never tried it, but have read some favorable reviews on line. :)

WingedMonkey
03-30-2014, 09:03
Doesn't Mountain House make a grilled chicken breast. gravy, and mashed potatoes freeze-dried dinner? I've never tried it, but have read some favorable reviews on line. :)

I haven't had a Mt House meal in more than 20 years.

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2014, 14:50
Rolls

The indians in South America carry the live chickens upside down while hiking into the desert...

To best answer the original post - Retort packaging is safer and preserves flavor as its flash heated inside the foil. Keep an eye on the shelf price each week or buy in bulk on the internet. Or find a convenience supplier who vends to other mom and pop stores. I will admit being very thrifty - but I like the intense flavor of retort over cans. You only need one every other day on the trail. if you don't finish I have eat the pack two days later and no worries. Keep in mind you need extra water when consuming these products for processing in the gut. So forget the cost - the benifits outweigh the price.

Wise Old Owl
03-30-2014, 14:54
I haven't had a Mt House meal in more than 20 years.

nice to have an occasion back up in a pinch - I admit to having a small dinner in the pack even if I don't use it.