PDA

View Full Version : Uploading pics whilst in towns - easy peasy or a pain in the ring.

Fletchlives1234
03-18-2014, 18:23
How do..

I am thinking about using drop box as a way to send pics back home and to update my blog. This involves copying pics from my camera to my iphone and then using Wi-Fi when in a town to upload, or by connecting my sd card reader to a computer and then uploading this way.

The question is how often will I find myself at a town where I can plug my sd card reader into a computers usb port? Would it be quicker and easier to just rely on my iphone. I can imagine that internet portals get busy and maybe the IT equipment has seen better days.

I have seen a camera which uses it's own wi-fi network and can be paired to an iphone. Therefore uploads when in a town could be quick and easy as I would have already uploaded all the relevant pics to my iphone whilst being out in the woods.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fletchlives

Malto
03-18-2014, 18:27
Ditch the camera and just use your iphone for your blog. Makes it simple. Unless you are a photography nut I suspect the iPhone photos will be plenty good.

Prime Time
03-18-2014, 18:44
Ditch the camera and just use your iphone for your blog. Makes it simple. Unless you are a photography nut I suspect the iPhone photos will be plenty good.
Exactly what I did. I journaled on my Notes page which also went automatically to the cloud, and copied and pasted it to trailjournals.com when I could. Piece of cake. I also sent my selected photos to TJ.com using their photo app and I could do this in seconds. I watched people keep personal blogs and spend hours in towns uploading pictures and I was puzzled by this.

kayak karl
03-18-2014, 19:48
i put my mini SD card from my camera (its in a standard SD adapter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=757548&gclid=CPuaycyinb0CFU4aOgodIDkA8A&Q=&is=REG&A=details)) and put it in my phone.

03-18-2014, 20:00
Let's see do you have any memory of dialup? They limit your time to 30 min most places and that just is not enough. phone or mail card home.

fireneck
03-19-2014, 00:44
Had a rough time trying to upload photos on computers in town in 2012. Something tells me not much has changed. Uploading from your phone via wifi might be your best and hassle free route.

Feral Bill
03-19-2014, 01:08
Uploading high resolution photos takes forever even with fairly fast connections. If you are not looking to make large prints, shoot in a lower resolution mode. Otherwise, memory cards are cheap and light

ChuckT
03-19-2014, 06:14
My wife has an iPhone 4. I can easily make 11x14s from the images. (Haven't had too try to print a poor exposure yet though.)
I'd _seriously_ look at one instead of a camera and I am _not_ an Apple fan.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

bfayer
03-19-2014, 07:01
I use an Eye-Fi SD card in my camera. Its a standard SD card with a WiFi radio built in. It auto syncs with my phone and auto uploads photos to an online account when my phone has service.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rafe
03-19-2014, 07:08
It's never occurred to me to upload pix during my hikes. An up to date online journal isn't a priority. Don't want to deal with that much tech while on the trail.

It's only been a few months since I've had a smartphone worthy of the name. I know my wife appreciates hearing from me (and vice versa) when I'm out in the woods. Now I can text her or zing a photo from time to time, easy-peasy.

10-K
03-19-2014, 07:28
I'm grappling with this right now. Dropbox's app makes it easy to upload photos - it'll automatically start uploading photos as soon as the phone has a wifi connection. Unfortunately, I only have 6.5 GB of Dropbox storage - I have 116 GB of Google Drive storage but that's going to require some manual labor on my part.

sparkygeek
03-19-2014, 19:56
Exactly what I did. I journaled on my Notes page which also went automatically to the cloud, and copied and pasted it to trailjournals.com when I could. Piece of cake. I also sent my selected photos to TJ.com using their photo app and I could do this in seconds. I watched people keep personal blogs and spend hours in towns uploading pictures and I was puzzled by this.

Where did you find a trailjournals photo app? My google-fu is failing, I can't find mention of it either on the site or in the App Store.

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2014, 20:50
Would not do it. Keep a few extra chips - 32Gig a decent optical zoom, panorama and face shots.. After several name brands Nikon Cool Pix stood out over the last five years. Works well in cold, heat you can even get waterproof. Shoots HD video!

Get a Stick Pic! for your hiking poles.

Check out the You tube videos

Iphone idea on other posts is great - not against it.

Folks like to text photo's go figure..

Prime Time
03-20-2014, 17:36
Where did you find a trailjournals photo app? My google-fu is failing, I can't find mention of it either on the site or in the App Store.
What I remember doing (it was over a year ago) was while on the TJ site with my iPhone, I tried to upload a photo and the site prompted me to download the photo app, called Aurigma. I downloaded it following the prompts. With a reasonably good 3G or 4G signal, it takes from about 5 to 15 seconds to upload a picture.

JustBob
03-20-2014, 22:06
One way around limited Dropbox storage is to have someone at home move the photos from the Dropbox 'Camera Upload' folder to another folder on your home computer occasionally. And backup up your home computer occasionally :)

Flickr also has auto-upload, and provides 1 TB of storage.

No reason (except maybe upload time or BW) not to use both simultaneously.

Actually, with 100GB of Google Drive space, you might just want to turn on autobackup from the Google+ app on your phone. I'd turn off autoenhance and autoawesome though - they kinda creep me out.

ChuckT
03-26-2014, 12:22
Bayer - do you notice when the SD/WiFi function starts? Does it effect the other functions of the ohone?

Mags
03-26-2014, 12:59
Most high speed connections avail to the public, and typically at home, have a terrible upload speed. The connections with better upload speeds usually cost more. A library *might* have better upload speeds than say a hostel, but I doubt it..at least for the masses.

Free WiFi, such as found at hostel or a library also tends to be heavily used. Esp where there are 20+ people all trying to do the same thing.

Result? A frustrating experience if moving large data upstream.

SD cards are relatively cheap. May be just as easy to swap them as needed. Otherwise you'll need to make them lower res photos and upload them that way to preserve your sanity. The iPhone uploads are probably quick because they often are lower-res photos (not always..but seems most people like to upload the lower res ones).

bfayer
03-26-2014, 13:11
Bayer - do you notice when the SD/WiFi function starts? Does it effect the other functions of the ohone?

There is a small icon on the notification bar when it connects and transfers, but that is it. It's pretty seamless. I have not tried to use the phone as a phone when it's transferring. There is an app you need to run on your phone, but it just sits there in the background. As long as the camera and phone are both on and near each other the pictures transfer.

When I connect my phone to a hotspot the pictures transfer to my on line EyeFi account, which you can access from any computer with an internet connection.

I would guess it does reduce the battery life on the camera a little, but nothing I have noticed. Overall it works pretty well. I can move the card from camera to camera also.

Offshore
03-26-2014, 16:15
If you are using a newer iPhone (5, 5c, 5s), the picture quality is really very good and has the advantage of being able to use Photostream to move your photos.

You can set up Photostream on your iPhone and the iCloud control panel on a PC back home. As long as the iPhone and computer at home are all logged into the same iCloud account, Photostream can automatically copy your photos from your phone onto a designated folder on the computer at home. This transfer happens when your phone is connected to WiFi. Photos are automatically uploaded with no user intervention required. (I do this a lot on dayhikes - my pictures get home before I do.)

An important distinction is that its not cloud storage, its a means of transferring photos (but I think the latest 1000 or so images are held in the cloud). As long as someone has access to the computer at home, the photos will be available to them to post etc. This also has the added advantage of providing a backup of your photos.

I've also used an early iteration of EyeFi cards, but found the image management end of things to be lacking. From a previous post in this thread, its sounds like its gotten better so may be worth a look. Carrying a lot of memory cards in the field is asking for trouble in terms of data loss. I've done all three methods, but like the Photostream approach - it runs in the background with no user intervention, it provides for backup, and its free.

Don's Brother
03-29-2014, 07:33
How do..

I am thinking about using drop box as a way to send pics back home and to update my blog. This involves copying pics from my camera to my iphone and then using Wi-Fi when in a town to upload, or by connecting my sd card reader to a computer and then uploading this way.

The question is how often will I find myself at a town where I can plug my sd card reader into a computers usb port? Would it be quicker and easier to just rely on my iphone. I can imagine that internet portals get busy and maybe the IT equipment has seen better days.

I have seen a camera which uses it's own wi-fi network and can be paired to an iphone. Therefore uploads when in a town could be quick and easy as I would have already uploaded all the relevant pics to my iphone whilst being out in the woods.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fletchlives

I took around 2000 pictures on my iPhone and uploaded pics daily from my phone to my website, trailjournals, and FB. I had really good service with Verizon in all 14 states.