PDA

View Full Version : Pill carrier

JeffBliss
03-18-2014, 20:21
Hey, I was wondering, what does everyone here do for carrying pills on the trail? Is there anything good and lightweight anyone can recommend? I was just thinking about getting like a weekly pill counter plastic thing from amazon and shoving it into my medkit if I can't find anything else.

Thanks!

4eyedbuzzard
03-18-2014, 20:41
For my short sections, I just keep them all in one normal pill vial and make sure to have one off those moisture absorbent packets in with the pills. A piece of cotton will help keep them from rattling around and breaking as well. If you carry any CDS or narcotics, etc. be sure to have them in the original properly labeled vial.

A/B
03-18-2014, 20:47
I heading out in a week, and just replaced a 2 ounce, bulky pill container plastic thing for a LocSak 3"x6" waterproof bag. It came as part of a 3 pack for $10; I bought the package for the middle size to keep my phone dry, and the smallest size is perfect for my meds, vitamins, and pain pills (vitamin I). http://www.loksak.com/purchase/aloksak-assortment.html

Odd Man Out
03-18-2014, 20:59
This was posted a while back. They package pills in a drinking straw. Fast forward to 6:45 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiB9kUPRXZ4

Spirit Walker
03-18-2014, 21:03
I just used a ziplock or the original container. Safest really is the original container. If you get badly injured while hiking or while hitching to town, it helps medical personnel if they know exactly what meds you are taking and who your doctor is if you can't speak for yourself.

fredmugs
03-18-2014, 21:32
I just used a ziplock or the original container. Safest really is the original container. If you get badly injured while hiking or while hitching to town, it helps medical personnel if they know exactly what meds you are taking and who your doctor is if you can't speak for yourself.

That's the smartest thing anyone has ever said on this site ever. Pay attention.

TurboPants
03-18-2014, 21:54
But fred, those pill bottles weigh an entire ounce!! That would be UL hiker blasphemy lol. I envision someone bleeding out on a doctor's table because they were taking 3 tylenol every 2 hours for 2 straight weeks. Having the original pill bottle sure makes sense. They don't weigh THAT much.

I could see using the straw idea but maybe label with a sharpie or something for the reasons mentioned. I really liked the straw for neosporin or antibacterial gels though!

Damn Yankee
03-18-2014, 22:08
Some people like myself take a lot of meds. I take 9 different meds. in the morning and five at night. Try keeping that many in a ziplock. The worst part is like what has been previously stated. All meds. need to be in original packaging. Now if you could peel the label of the bottle and put it on the ziplock, you may get away with it IF each different med. was in individual baggies with the proper label and the fact that your hiking you may get by. Now this is only my view and don't speak from experience but, I have been mulling this over for a while in prep. for next year.

Alligator
03-18-2014, 22:30
I picked up this tip a few years ago after having to fill out the medical forms one too many times. Line your pill bottles up on the counter and get a good photo or two of them with your phone. You can make a little card with the dosages for your wallet. Make sure you write everything down, vitamins, supplements, as you never know what your medicine might interact with. Get those in the photo too. You could print the picture out to have with you.

Personally I go with a weekly pill container for ease but I'm not thruhiking.

Dogwood
03-18-2014, 22:35
I take many "pills" on hikes stored in ziplocs, all non prescription though. I describe each and label what each pill and daily dosage is and number of days supply on a slip of paper, not so much for myself but just in case a LEO inquires. It's happened to me twice in NPs. I was once detained for more than 1 hr and searched. It may turn out this never happens to you but if you're ever searched or stopped at the AP or have pills that look similar this is essential. If you have prescriptions it's best leaving them in their originally labeled bottles especially if you have prescription narcotics.

rhjanes
03-18-2014, 22:43
another option. Hiker trash version. Cut the tops off used soda bottles. THey all have a lip-ridge a bit under where the cap screws on. Cut UNDER that. You need TWO, BTW. Then, hold some 100 grit sand paper on a flat table. SAND the wide bottle thingie. Sand it so it is all opaque looking for both. THen, a 79 cent tube of plastic modeling glue from a craft store. GLUE the two sides together. Let them sit. So, two soda bottle tops makes ONE pill holder. Now, use a fine point Sharpie to write like MONDAY, or "VIT-I" on the cap. Put your pills in each. I made one for each day of the week and put all meds into it. I have one for ibuprofen also, which I carry in a front pocket. The others, well they are in my hygene bag. Just root around when you get to camp, Find the one for today AND tomorrow. Put some place. When I go to bed, I take what ever is in "todays" container (should then be empty). Tomorrow, well, I already have my morning meds out and ready (just find the little thing).
They are water proof also (the OTC pill containers are not). However, the OTC pill containers might take up a bit less room if out for a whole week.

HooKooDooKu
03-18-2014, 23:16
I found pill-sized ziploc bags at a CVS pharmacy. I would say the bags are about 1.5"x3"

RangerZ
03-18-2014, 23:25
I used to use film canisters for each day on short trips. I now have an ongoing supply of similar canisters from BGL test strips. They have a better closure and I labeled them for the days. Haven't had any TSA problems.

It's a lot of canisters for more than a week. I see small AM/PM ziplocks as the way to go.

Agree with the photo/prescription ideas. And you can't go wrong if they're in the original container.

I've used the straw idea for hydrocortisone, etc and needles/thread in my repair kits. Find the larger diameter ones.

Hoss Cat
03-21-2014, 23:54
I use the nalgene 1 oz bottles. I take a daily prescription, as well as like to take a long a few benadryl, ibuprofen.... and they all fit in one. I used a small ziploc one time, and the humidity let a little moisture into the bag and my pills started crumbling. I have never had a leak with the little nalgene bottles - use the smaller for pills and stuff, and the larger 2 oz for olive oil.

gof
03-22-2014, 00:12
When you fill your meds you can ask your pharmacist to print an extra label to include with the medication. Mine has always been fine with doing that if I ask and explain why.

I am not sure if you have to have the original container or not.

Can we get a ruling from any DEA agents?

4Bears
03-22-2014, 04:38
For an extended hike like a thru hike, it would be easy to use ziplocks. Peel a label from your latest script bottle and stick it on a piece of paper, place in the bag. The labels on maintenance drugs, ie; blood pressure, are typically good for a year.

Deacon
03-22-2014, 06:16
I don't take a lot of meds, just a couple. The two I do take come in the blister paks where each pill is totally enclosed and never exposed to moisture. The pal is flat and pliable.

Duff
03-22-2014, 07:27
Go to a "head shop" and you can purchase "gram bags" in just about as small as you might ever want. I've used the smallest to package a "daily use" collection of pills.

slbirdnerd
03-22-2014, 08:41
If you take a lot of serious meds, yes, take your own marked bottles--or ask your doctor or pharmacist for suggestions.

If not, your outfitter should have bins of these types of well sealing Nalgene things (I use a little flip top one size of 1/8 cup or so, not pictured here):

http://www.rei.com/product/402167/nalgene-multipurpose-vial-kit

Odd Man Out
03-22-2014, 10:04
I don't take a lot of meds, just a couple. The two I do take come in the blister paks where each pill is totally enclosed and never exposed to moisture.

Me too, especially if it is for something that I might need only occasionally (immodium, ibuprofen, acid blocker). A blister pack of each fits in a small zip-lock bag with all those other small items I feel like I should have even though I hope I don't have to use them (bandages, neosporin, repair tape, sewing kit, book of matches, etc). I call it the BUMMER bag (Back Up, Maintenance, Medicine, Emergency, Repair) and it's a bummer if I ever need to use it.

The only thing I take every day is a baby aspirin. Medicine I need every day it gets packed with the tooth brush.

JansportD2
03-22-2014, 10:38
Some people like myself take a lot of meds. I take 9 different meds. in the morning and five at night. Try keeping that many in a ziplock. The worst part is like what has been previously stated. All meds. need to be in original packaging. Now if you could peel the label of the bottle and put it on the ziplock, you may get away with it IF each different med. was in individual baggies with the proper label and the fact that your hiking you may get by. Now this is only my view and don't speak from experience but, I have been mulling this over for a while in prep. for next year.

CVS prints extra labels for prescription meds which you can stick on your ziplocks or pill cases. I'm sure that other pharmacies will do the same if you ask.

shakey_snake
03-22-2014, 10:54
All those labels add up! :P

atraildreamer
03-22-2014, 12:03
I found pill-sized ziploc bags at a CVS pharmacy. I would say the bags are about 1.5"x3"

They are called Eze-Dose Pill Pouches. You can get them at WalMart. 50 bags for $1.50.

4eyedbuzzard
03-22-2014, 14:07
When you fill your meds you can ask your pharmacist to print an extra label to include with the medication. Mine has always been fine with doing that if I ask and explain why.

I am not sure if you have to have the original container or not.

Can we get a ruling from any DEA agents?Not a DEA agent. But from my travel experience, TSA does not care (for the most part) and this is normally a state law enforcement, not a federal issue. One TSA reg. does state somewhere that drugs be "professionally labeled" and prescribed to the ticketed passenger, but does not mandate original container. But, then again, TSA can enforce all other federal, state, and local laws if they come across something during a screening. But they aren't looking for what are the normal small quantities of prescription drugs most people carry, they're looking for stuff that affects flight security.

But I do know that some state laws make it outright illegal to possess many prescription drugs, especially class II and III (these are most of the narcotics and pain killers), outside the original pharmacy containers that have the label attached - even if you have a copy of the prescription. And even where the actual state law requires that it is only required to have a prescription, people have still been arrested by cops and even prosecuted by junior prosecutors who are ignorant of their own laws. Yeah, this really happens, and instances of it are on the rise as police crack down more on what is being deemed an epidemic of illegal prescription drug abuse.

The bigger real life issue is, even if you are legal to the letter of the law, do you really want the hassle and expense of getting arrested by a cop who doesn't know, or has an overly broad interpretation of, the law? You get arrested, have to post $1000's in bond, have to appear at a later date, most probably/definitely have to pay a lawyer $1000's (because this is likely a felony charge) - and then pray the judge isn't an idiot as well.

Sly
03-22-2014, 17:31
The plastic weekly containers open too easy for my liking to pack with one. I'd do like Alligator and photograph the prescription, as well as print them with your doctors info etc. and repackage the daily meds into the small size ziplocs.

I tend to doubt many people hike on oxys, but if I had them just in case, I'd keep those in their original container.

MuddyWaters
03-22-2014, 21:52
I carry only OTC medications, but I put them in tiny tiny ziplocks, and write what it is on the ziplock, max dosage, and put a scotch tape over the sharpie so it doesnt rub off.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-25-2014, 04:06
This is EXACTLY what I do. I'm a prepper as well, so having my meds in my truck, backpack, & go bag is a requirement. Line up your bottles, put a pill from each in front, make sure your name , medication, & dosage is visible. Take a few pictures to save on your phone, but PRINT out a few as well. I leave them wherever I have 2-3 days worth of meds stored.

No way am I carrying 7 different bottles around. Too much weight, too much space, too much noise, and who wants to drag all that crap around? Never had a problem with TSA or police, but the one time you get asked about them you want to be covered.

Having said that, when I do my weeklong I'll have a 7-day pill container, with an extra 72 hour bottle JIC.

atraildreamer
03-25-2014, 17:07
Some pharmacies will package your prescriptions in blister packs mounted on cards to make it easier to know when to take your medication(s). Several different prescriptions can be packaged on the same card, and the prescription information is printed on the card. This type of packaging eliminates the need of having a weekly pill box, and allows you to know when to take the meds. Ask your pharmacy if they can do this. Usually, there is no additional cost to have this done.

SunnyWalker
04-24-2014, 12:09
Maybe someone who knows could enter in on this thread. i was told, at where I was working (since retired) and it was a career for the State of Texas that it was illegal to carry the pills in anything other then the prescription bottle, properly labeled of course.

slbirdnerd
04-24-2014, 12:20
To the OP: My son dragged me into a "Container Store" last weekend. The hiking and backpacking possibilities of the stuff they have in there is endless! They had a half an aisle of all sizes and shapes of Nalgene bottles and containers, and pill boxes of all sorts. Worth looking for sure!

OCDave
04-24-2014, 12:29
One option is:

https://pillpack.com

All your daily meds pre-packaged together buy dose. I would imagine one could do the samle with a vacuum sealer and some patience . Perhaps a long and skinny toy balloon could do the same, pop in one day's meds then tie a knot, drop in another days meds.

Good Luck

OCDave
04-24-2014, 12:31
Just realized the toy balloon method might make you appear to be preparing to do some drug smuggling.

TNhiker
04-24-2014, 15:43
Can we get a ruling from any DEA agents?

there's DEA agents on this board?

oh *****......

NY HIKER 50
04-25-2014, 12:13
Ok here I go. I take 5 meds. Here's what I do: You know the waterproof match safes? I re-purposed mine to carry my meds. That's how I do it. In my case it does not matter if they are all together and in the morning I just open the case and put it on the pad or into the hammock to pick them out. If I need to carry a supply for a while I bring two. Remember, most other item you may use are not waterproof, and you have to keep the meds from the dampness.

NY HIKER 50
04-25-2014, 12:16
Oh, and as for the laws, that only applies if your carrying controlled substances. I think if you get arrested for carrying non controlled items you can make them look foolish.

Hot Flash
04-25-2014, 13:28
Why not just ask your pharmacist to print you an extra label that you can then stick onto a ziploc?