PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Damascus

Duramax22
03-18-2014, 20:42
WE are planning a trip to the virginia in early april and will be parking our car in damascus and hiking back. My problem is we wont be hitting damascus until 8-9 on a wed night. We were hoping to camp, but it seems the campground doesnt open until may. Anyone know of a good place to camp or a cheap place to stay arriving that late???

Lone Wolf
03-18-2014, 20:46
The Place allows tenting on the lawn for $6. Woodchuck hostel allows tenting for $10 i think

FarmerChef
03-18-2014, 20:47
Depends on your definition of cheap. There are a couple hostels in town. I can recommend Crazy Larry's for one.

Tennessee Viking
03-19-2014, 09:16
Hostels:
MRO, Crazy Larry's, The Place

There are a couple commercial campgrounds just outside of Damascus.

USFS campground Backbone Rock and Bear Tree.

Gentry Creek backcountry near Laurel Bloomery.

The Solemates
03-19-2014, 13:09
not sure if you mean on the front end or tail end of your trip.

if on the tail end, stop just short of damascus where the trail crosses the va creeper the night before. plenty of spots in this area. hike the coupla miles into damascus the next morning.

alternatively, for tail end or front end, hike into damascus and drive your car back to the parking area near here. its the first gravel pull off comin outta 58 back into the mtns. campsites abound near the parking area. there are pits toilets as well.

there is also a gravel pull off near beartree (cant remember if its just before or just after - lone wolf could tell ya) on the left of 58 headed into the mtns. plenty of spots back there. just a coupla miles outside of town as well.