PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

Honuben
03-18-2014, 23:38
I was wondering if anyone carried a fly rod or or fishing gear along the AT. A buddy and i were thinking it would be a nice way to relax and take a zero along the trail. One problem i foresee is licenses for different states (and the extra weight), but its tempting.

4eyedbuzzard
03-18-2014, 23:57
Not a lot of places to fish, some, but the AT is mostly up on the ridge, and most of the small streams you cross are just that - small. Also, fishing time takes away from hiking time. That said, I'd love to do a "fishing and camping hike" through Maine. But fishing isn't really compatible with a thru-hike if that's what you're asking.

Honuben
03-19-2014, 00:11
Once again 4eyedbuzzard thank you, always good to hear sound info. I will make a separate fishing trip after noting good spots as i hike thru.

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2014, 00:41
Expanding a bit on MY reasons (you and others could choose differently, and there are hikers who have fished) a bit. I think the weight penalty is also a big factor. Rod and reel, tackle/fly tying kit, filet knife, frying pan, etc.. A light option might be just to carry a Tenkara rod and some appropriate flys, or other ultralight set-up a even just some line and hooks for a hiking pole, etc. Bouncing a fishing setup up the trail to some prime fishing areas might be another option. But you still have a hook in the water and need the license and such. Anyway, don't let my opinion alone completely dissuade you.

Grampie
03-19-2014, 10:03
When I thru-hiked, like you, I wanted to be able to do some fishing. After considering the extra weight and license requirements I settled on bringing a few hooks and about 30ft of mono line. I soon discovered that on most days I was just too tiard to fish after hiking all day. Did a little along the way but never caught anything until I camped on the shore of a beautiful pond in Maine. Fished and caught three native brook trout. Had them for supper and it was something I'll long remember.

takethisbread
03-19-2014, 10:24
I was wondering if anyone carried a fly rod or or fishing gear along the AT. A buddy and i were thinking it would be a nice way to relax and take a zero along the trail. One problem i foresee is licenses for different states (and the extra weight), but its tempting.

I don't plan on taking one, but I might do some in hot springs, and will definitely carry one into the 100 mile wilderness in Maine and have a rod drop shipped. Vermont has some choice spots as well. there's really no good opportunity until hot springs tho. 9 more days till I drive down to springer !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerChef
03-19-2014, 12:08
You will pass plenty of ponds and a few good trout streams. Timing is everything and your condition at the time will dictate whether you really feel like stopping to fish or not. That said, there have been several times I wish I could have stopped and gone fishing at several sites. Some of which I went back and did fish! Laurel Fork was one up by Black Bear Resort. Caught a few trout there but that was on a stop back vacation with my wife.

I suppose if you jiggered your schedule right such that you ended your day at ponds when available you might be able to eat fresh and have some fun. I always recommend having appropriate licenses of course.

rafe
03-19-2014, 12:11
Fishing or not, Pierce Pond in Maine (shelter just south of the Kennebec) is a fine place to spend the night.

Rolls Kanardly
03-19-2014, 13:35
A fishing license is needed in every state. The beginning of the trail NOBO is not a good time to fish and fishing areas are not very accessible. I plan on buying minimal gear along the way. Line, hooks, bait and may be a small weight or two. I have caught many fish in small streams with a four or five foot stick. Not high tech but gets the job done. Remember, "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" Henry David Thoreau

Rolls

takethisbread
03-19-2014, 19:01
A fishing license is needed in every state. The beginning of the trail NOBO is not a good time to fish and fishing areas are not very accessible. I plan on buying minimal gear along the way. Line, hooks, bait and may be a small weight or two. I have caught many fish in small streams with a four or five foot stick. Not high tech but gets the job done. Remember, "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" Henry David Thoreau

Rolls

I think Thoreau wasn't really talking about fishing, but rather the pursuit of things that feed your desires, when those things don't fill u with what you really need spiritually. I think the fishing analogy is referencing jesus meeting Peter while he was casting his fishing nets into the sea of Galilea.

Foresight
03-19-2014, 19:26
If you really want an incredible fishing and hiking experience then head to the Foothills Trail (I know, I know.....but we can't keep it a secret forever).

If you, or anyone for that matter, decide to take my advice on this do yourselves a favor and buy a license for both states (SC and NC). Although SC holds a VAST majority of the common water within the shared lakes, NC will NOT reciprocate with SC. There's no need to buy a GA license as both sides of the Chattooga can be fished with either a GA or SC license along their shared border (above Ellicott's rock the eastern boundary becomes NC). There are several more rivers and streams that hold mostly native fish and the fishing is excellent.

Although 77 miles, when you throw in the side trails and the fishing therefrom, the FT can be stretched to pretty much as long of a trip as you desire, but bear in mind, resupply will then become a limiting factor that needs to be worked out. Highly recommend you at least look into the idea.

FooFighter'12
03-19-2014, 20:31
If you really want an incredible fishing and hiking experience then head to the Foothills Trail (I know, I know.....but we can't keep it a secret forever).

If you, or anyone for that matter, decide to take my advice on this do yourselves a favor and buy a license for both states (SC and NC). Although SC holds a VAST majority of the common water within the shared lakes, NC will NOT reciprocate with SC. There's no need to buy a GA license as both sides of the Chattooga can be fished with either a GA or SC license along their shared border (above Ellicott's rock the eastern boundary becomes NC). There are several more rivers and streams that hold mostly native fish and the fishing is excellent.

Although 77 miles, when you throw in the side trails and the fishing therefrom, the FT can be stretched to pretty much as long of a trip as you desire, but bear in mind, resupply will then become a limiting factor that needs to be worked out. Highly recommend you at least look into the idea.

Love that trail and you're right about the fishing. Chattooga, Whitewater, Horsepasture, Toxaway, Thompson, Bear camp creek, Laurel fork creek, Eastatoe creek are all good rivers or creeks to wet a line. And of course, Jocassee with its big browns and rainbows. Hmmm..... Maybe we should try to keep this trail a secret

FooFighter'12
03-19-2014, 20:38
Hot Springs would be an excellent spot to fish. The creek that runs beside the bar is stocked and the French Broad gives you an opportunity for trout, smallmouth, or musky. It would be possible to have your gear shipped to Hot Springs and then mail it or bounce before leaving town.

If I had a fishing rod in Maine, I wouldn't have got much hiking done.

Foresight
03-19-2014, 20:38
Trust me, I was torn. But I felt the need to balance out my sophomoric humor with a helpful post. Thank goodness I don't have this weakness often :D

imscotty
03-19-2014, 22:10
Not much weight to bring a drop line and a few hooks, what do you have to lose. I have not done it yet, but I definitely intend to drop a few lines in Maine. I hear the walk along the Housatonic River in CT can be good fishing too. If you are really into it check out TenkaraUSA.com for some really lightweight collapsible fly rods.

FishyOne
03-19-2014, 22:28
If you're in Maine in September there's some excellent fishing. I've been fly fishing in the 100 mile wilderness for the last 15 years. Problem is you will need a float tube if you want to fish the ponds and the lightest one I've found is 8 lbs. ... ouch. Know the regs, you don't want to get pinched for a fish.

Blue Mountain Edward
03-20-2014, 21:12
I seen a mini fishing rod left at a shelter in Pa. It was missing the crank of the reel, I thought about taking it but I was heavyweight already.Picked up a landing net at a shelter in Pa and carried it to the C and O Canal. After carrying it for about 150 miles I gave it to a fisherman. So surely fishing gear is not worth the weight if you are hiking long distance.

Turk6177
03-22-2014, 20:22
Maine has lots of fishing. Why not treat yourself after 13 states and fish there? It is almost universal that people wish they had taken their time a little but more through Maine. Fishing could help with that.

Damn Yankee
03-22-2014, 20:47
I may be taking along a fly rod outfit that I made. It's a 7pc. Lamiglass and weight like 2-3 oz. It is either a 5'9" 4wt. or 6'6" 5wt. If you really want to go light and only plan on fishing small streams I found this outfit. http://penfishingrods.com/shop/product_details.php?category_id=13&item_id=125

Sarcasm the elf
03-22-2014, 20:48
The licensing requirements are probably the biggest barrier to fishing on a thru...Not to mention the egregious price of non-resident licenses in most states.

Speaking only for my home state, I can think of several great trout spots that the trail crosses in Connecticut including the several miles where the trail is adjacent to the Housatonic river, as well as the two other spots where it crossed the same river as well as sage's ravine. There are also a few smaller creeks in CT that could yield some brook trout for a patient angler.

While I have little personal experience on the A.T. Maine I did spend a good number of summers camping up there in my youth. I suspect that the best advice on this thread is to hike without a pole and then have one sent to you once you cross into Maine. If you want to thru hike, then take care of business and get your NoBo almost completed, then buy a permit in Maine and relax for the last section while you fish, better yet, make your fellow hikers jealous and have a small cast-iron skillet and some butter mailed to you for the last leg of your journey, I can't think of a better way to finish a thru hike.

Damn Yankee
03-23-2014, 08:49
SNP has some of the best Native Brook Trout fishing in Virginia.

JohnnySnook
09-08-2014, 07:22
Any updates on the fishing along the trail?

I'd think carrying a UL fishing setup would be worth it for those that enjoy fishing. The extra weight wouldn't be more than a couple pounds. I could see after a couple days of hard hiking taking a zero or nero at or near a good fishing spot would be a reasonable thing. In my mind there is nothing better than a day or half day fishing on the open sea, lake, or river. I can see this happening on a re-supply day cut short. I'm sure posting up at shelter or camping area with a legal limit of fish and providing some trail magic to those arriving for the night would be amazing.
When I was younger I remember week long hikes and stoping at small creeks and rivers and seeing a ton of fish. We would often spend hours swimming and enjoying the area for hours. I always wished I had a rod. Instead I just spend time swimming and catching water snakes.

Migrating Bird
09-08-2014, 07:37
I carried a 5 wgt fly rod through Maine (SOBO) as far a Andover. I caught a lot of trout and had a blast. My son in law hiked the 100 MW with me and we both enjoyed fishing that section.

JohnnySnook
09-09-2014, 05:40
We'll I think if I decide to do a hike I'll have a rod with me. Not sure if would be better to go with a spinning outfit or fly? Either way I'd be fishing. I broke some bone in my right big toe / foot two years ago mountain biking when I had a serious crash and it still gives me problems to this day. It might not hurt for a month and then its like someone stabbed my foot. I hope this won't slow me down too much could see it being a problem. A few days off soaking it in cold water fishing may be nice.

Just Sayin...

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 08:29
I view fishin' on a hike like I view hikin' on a hike.

...I fish for fishin'

here's my set up to scratch that itch, a little ice fishin' pole (ugly stick) and micro real.

Starchild
09-09-2014, 09:17
My thoughts on it, and how I would do it if I were so inclined, is to plan out the fishing locations well before your thru starts, basically add those locations to your guide book. Find out about the regulations and how/where to get your license, and mail your equipment to that area waiting for you to arrive.

Plan the fishing trip as a zero, just like thru hikers plan a zero town day stop. You can always bounce or send home the gear if you wish to change plans.

JohnnySnook
09-10-2014, 06:20
Starchild - Thats my plan without ever shipping my rod up the line..

I feel an extra 2 lbs really shouldn't detour people from fishing or carrying fishing gear.

If you love being in the wild and fishing what is an extra few pounds?

Will I now not be considered a ULer due to my pack being 35lbs instead of 32lbs? Will stopping at 18 miles instead of 20 be a disgrace?

Can I make up milage on those section with no fishing? I'm sure I won't have to carry as much food if I can eat fresh fish at certain points.

Would it be wrong to slow down when I find fishing?

It's funny how I could live on a 25ft open fisherman boat for days fishing. This boat has no cabin. During heavy T-storms we but a tarp over the bow with weights hanging in the water to keep us dry and the tarp from flying away.

From my research I see that some good fishing can be found along the trail. I would really like info on the best areas to slow down at. Is that so hard? I know contacting people on fishing forums is usually not a great idea. I belong to many here in south florida and from what I can tell fishing forums members that will help you catch fish is very low unlike hikers regarding anything.

Does anyone have contact info for wasabi? From my searches here I can't find him.

Josh Calhoun
09-11-2014, 08:05
you would be very dissapointed. im a avid fisherman and about the only place where i found it to be worth it was Maine.

Migrating Bird
09-11-2014, 09:20
As previously mentioned, I carried a fly rod ( and only a handful of flies) in ME, having brought a license ahead of time. Much of Maine is fly fishing only. Swift River Pond Campsite had a canoe and I spent a enjoyable evening fishing with a NOBO who had taken a terrible fall earlier in the day, he had never fished or caught a fish before - he felt better after having done both. At Horn Pond, Otis the caretaker at the time, noticed my fly rod and shared with me his favorite spot on the pond. I was catching fish of each cast when I met a little girl and her grandparents. It was a glorious Sunday afternoon. When asked if she wanted to catch a fish, her grandparents said she was too shy. Turned out she wasn't and the toothless grin of when she caught and released her first fish is a wonderful memory (although the photo shows her in the heat of the moment). In Andover, I took a zero and spent the day fishing and swimming and sent my fly rod home after that. When I crossed the Saco River in NH, I watched a number of large brookies feeding and wished for my fly rod. In VT a spinning rod would been better as there is a lot of fishable water in VT. Some people bring a fiddle, I can't play but I love to fish and hike.

saltysack
09-11-2014, 10:20
Check out tenkara set ups

JohnnySnook
09-13-2014, 05:31
Thanks guys. I've been doing a lot of research and I think I may be able to some fishing spots. Even the smallest of creeks can hold fish. Al you need a small pool a foot or two deep.
Maybe you guys will prove me wrong. I feel that fishing for me on the trail would be like therapy. Even if its a week or so between fishing spots on a hike. From what I've found I can skip some states. If I got to good areas I could slow down. I do know my FL Fishing License was valid in New Jersey before Sandy destroy family summer beach house my grandfather built 100 years by hand it was valid. I think so for NY also. They short term rates seem reasonable in most states. You can buy daily and weekly licenses with out spending crazy money.

If not what does it matter if you spend $300 to $500 on licenses to know you can fish any where you want? Thats maybe 1/6 of what one many spend on the whole hike. For me it would worth it.
Either way I'll have a fishing rod with me. If a cross a nice creek I'll most likely fish it.

I'd love if anyone has contact info for wasabi? Seems he fished the trail. I see some others in the cooking section mention cooking fish so hopefully they'll help if they are still around.

JohnnySnook
09-13-2014, 05:32
Sorry guys and gals. I guess I need to donate so I CAN EDIT MY POSTS. For some reason an any forum proof reading it as I type never works. I'm sure you get my point.

Traveler
09-13-2014, 08:20
Thanks guys. I've been doing a lot of research and I think I may be able to some fishing spots. Even the smallest of creeks can hold fish. Al you need a small pool a foot or two deep.
Maybe you guys will prove me wrong. I feel that fishing for me on the trail would be like therapy. Even if its a week or so between fishing spots on a hike. From what I've found I can skip some states. If I got to good areas I could slow down. I do know my FL Fishing License was valid in New Jersey before Sandy destroy family summer beach house my grandfather built 100 years by hand it was valid. I think so for NY also. They short term rates seem reasonable in most states. You can buy daily and weekly licenses with out spending crazy money.

If not what does it matter if you spend $300 to $500 on licenses to know you can fish any where you want? Thats maybe 1/6 of what one many spend on the whole hike. For me it would worth it.
Either way I'll have a fishing rod with me. If a cross a nice creek I'll most likely fish it.

I'd love if anyone has contact info for wasabi? Seems he fished the trail. I see some others in the cooking section mention cooking fish so hopefully they'll help if they are still around.

As a caution, there are interpretations of the laws that can get you into trouble. For example, carrying a fishing pole next to a body of water can be assumed you are are there to fish. If you don't have a license, the fine can be a few hundred bucks. Your thought of getting licenses for all the states you are traveling through is sound if you will be carrying the pole through all of them as well. If not, you may or may not fare well with the local Fish and Game Wardens.

Migrating Bird
09-13-2014, 18:57

I totally agree, there are many places in MA for example that hold really good bass, panfish and trout (not the Housatonic if you plan to eat your catch, PCB's). It is not a big deal to get licenses on-line. Stop by any library log in, pay and print your license. Most states allow you to apply an x-day fee to an annual fee. I'm not sure of the current status but NH was considering a fee based insurance for rescue, which would be included in the purchase as part of the fee for a fishing license.

Starchild
09-13-2014, 19:10
Will I now not be considered a ULer due to my pack being 35lbs instead of 32lbs? Will stopping at 18 miles instead of 20 be a disgrace?

Thru hiking the AT? more like 9 to 20 lbs for a UL'er at it's heaviest extreme. 32 lbs is just unthinkable today. I do believe with your pack weight you would be wise to send back 10 lbs of gear at Mountain Crossing.

DirtyFeet
09-13-2014, 21:33
Some of you might laugh at these, but what do you think of these mini pen rods? It might work on some brook trout.

http://www.amazon.com/38inch-Portable-Pocket-Aluminum-Fishing/dp/B00DW2JAKY/ref=pd_sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=033SSFNJ3VBQ2ZWXJDT5
Similar with different reel
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Aluminum-Pocket-Fishing-Pole/dp/B00JWOG6D0/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=033SSFNJ3VBQ2ZWXJDT5

Looks like they weigh 55g (<2oz). Not terrible to schlep with some fishing gear if you bounce it up to Maine, or use it and then send it home. Hell, @ $13 you could throw it away and it wouldn't break the bank.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2014, 22:01
interesting find Dirty Feet - Most use a a really cool rod that breaks into three..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=backpacking%20rods

JohnnySnook
09-14-2014, 02:47
Thanks for the replies. Those are some good links.
I do realize my weights were a bit off as a UL hiker but I was using them as an example. If you really enjoy something isn't an extra pound or two? Yes those links are good. There are many light options out there. Many of the rods on the market break down into more pieces.

Here is a pretty cool website I found. I think it may be good much more than just fishing.
http://gearographer.com

Good pack fishing gear.

http://gearographer.com/6-of-our-favorite-pack-rods/

Yes some of these rods and reel combos are in the $200 to $400 dollar range or more they are things I could for many years. If they break down into a a short tube it would be hard to tell if it was tent poles or a high end rod.
Here's some higher end fly reels from $400 to $800 rods.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_search_tnail.aspx?dir_id=758&group_id=768&cat_id=27666&subcat_id=27667&nav=23144,50358,50364
Yes i would love to own one of these reels with the smaller sizes only weighing from 3 to 5oz without line.
http://www.orvis.com/p/mirage-reels/1t2k

Fly rods from $100 to a starting price of $2,395.00. Even thought these bamboo rods look incredible.
http://www.orvis.com/fly-rods

The high end rods will always be much lighter than a cheaper rod. They'll also be more sensitive to tell when fish has struck. With a high end rod you can basically feel the and softest hits that might go undetected with a cheap rod.

Just like hikers fisherman do not want to be casting a heavy rod and reel combo all day. Its not fun! The lighter the better. Many of the higher end fly reels only weigh 4 to 6 OZ. with out line. The high end rods are feather light also. It all depends on if you want to spend $100 or $500 to cut a pound of weight? I'm sure many hikers think this way.

Its kind of funny to see the money any high end gear costs. Fishing or Hiking and the egos that go along with having newer , lighter, and more expensive gear.

When I go out fishing with my buddies that own nice boats we ofter have $30,000 worth of rod and reels on deck. When trolling for tuna and marlin or deep dropping with outfits ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 per combo we have safety lines attached to each set incase for some reason we hit a large wave a fish the rod really hard on pops the rod out of the rod holder and into the ocean.

Maybe one day I'll hit the lottery be one of these boat owners.

How often will a ranger ask you to un-pack your pack to inspect it?

JohnnySnook
09-14-2014, 02:59
Damn! i guess I need to donate so I can edit my posts. Sorry for all the typos. My eyes just don't seem to catch them in the Reply section. I guess I'm starting to get old.

JohnnySnook
09-14-2014, 03:32
Here's a nice 3oz, 9', 4 piece rod. with a reel that weights just a bit more, I think it may be around a pound all in with line.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-Helios-2-6-weight-9-Fly-Rod-Tip-Flex-Saltwater-OUTFIT-/201073965276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed0f138dc

Maybe one day I'll own one of these. LOL

Del Q
09-14-2014, 08:11
Two issues, to fish or not to fish and having a license or not. I am not one to skirt game laws but on one of my hikes I took a hook and a line.........tied it to a stick and tried my luck with a chunk of cheese. Zippo.

If a game ranger had come by I would have shared my SPAM with him, or her

Rolex
09-15-2014, 04:46
Two issues, to fish or not to fish and having a license or not. I am not one to skirt game laws but on one of my hikes I took a hook and a line.........tied it to a stick and tried my luck with a chunk of cheese. Zippo. If a game ranger had come by I would have shared my SPAM with him, or her I have carried a length of 8 lb line and wound it around a water bottle for a reel with a few lures/flies for a long time. Google cuban yoyo for the storebought type. This was used mostly for going to "someplace" and fishing. I tryed not carrying weights but that was just a PITA to me so now I carry a few lead split shots. The water bottle is multi use. The line was used one night to sew up my ripped sleeping bag with a fishing hook straightened out as a needle. My hiking staff has became a pole a few times with the line tied to one end. Sacrificing the tin foil used for my windscreen and a little olive oil and salt for a trout caught in Vermont waters one afternoon was one of the best meals I have had in the woods (or anywhere). I bought a Tenkara SATO rod this year and it is sweet. Super light and quality made. But it has two issues that detract from using it on the trail though I do carry it with me all the time for now. 1. I find a lot of the places I run into have an overhanging tree or brush making it nearly impossible to cast a fly rod. The ol handline on a water bottle comes out. I have to admit that the Sato gets used as an expensive cane pole occassionally too. 2. As I have NEVER fly fished before this particular rod has a sadistic streak inside which can tell that and delights in trying its Damndest to stick a tiny fly in the lobe of my right ear! Rolex

JohnnySnook
09-15-2014, 06:33
I real like the Tenkara but I would prefer a reel. Yes fly fishing in an art as is any fishing. I've been fishing since before I can remember.
Luckily a hook in ear lobe is easy to deal with. I've suffered may hook injuries. Some that required trips to the emergency room.
As long as the picture below doesn't happen to me I can deal with hooks in most place on the body. If you know to remove them its a non issue.

JohnnySnook
09-18-2014, 13:13
For those that think you can get fined for carrying a fish rod next a river is crazy.

If my rod and reel are not attached and are in my pack what am I doing illegal?

Hiking next to a river?

Most of fishery violations take a lot effort by the LEO to catch the person committing a violation. Here in florida they often stake out areas that people poach illegal fish at and need to catch them in the act. Video evidence is often needed for someone to get anything more than a slap on the wrist.
Maybe I'm wrong in understanding the laws in other states but from my understanding is that as long as your not actively fishing or have fish in your possession than there is little a law enforcement officer can charge you with.

Thats like ticketing you for stopping at rest stop next to river so you can use the bathroom but since you have a boat and fishing gear you can be ticketed for owning a boat and fishing gear. I think my local ticket attorney could get me off for $69.99 if ticketed and then I could sue the state for my money and hassle.

I would never hike with $200 to $400 rod out in the open while caring a pack. Thats just asking for a slip and fall accident which would break my rod.

Just saying….

Another Kevin
09-18-2014, 15:27
Two issues, to fish or not to fish and having a license or not. I am not one to skirt game laws but on one of my hikes I took a hook and a line.........tied it to a stick and tried my luck with a chunk of cheese. Zippo.

If a game ranger had come by I would have shared my SPAM with him, or her
Depends on how hungry they are. I've had a trout take two feathers that leaked from my sleeping bag, tied to a safety pin with a bit of dental floss.

Dogwood
09-18-2014, 16:47
For those that think you can get fined for carrying a fish rod next a river is crazy.

If my rod and reel are not attached and are in my pack what am I doing illegal?

Hiking next to a river?

Most of fishery violations take a lot effort by the LEO to catch the person committing a violation. Here in florida they often stake out areas that people poach illegal fish at and need to catch them in the act. Video evidence is often needed for someone to get anything more than a slap on the wrist.
Maybe I'm wrong in understanding the laws in other states but from my understanding is that as long as your not actively fishing or have fish in your possession than there is little a law enforcement officer can charge you with.

Thats like ticketing you for stopping at rest stop next to river so you can use the bathroom but since you have a boat and fishing gear you can be ticketed for owning a boat and fishing gear. I think my local ticket attorney could get me off for $69.99 if ticketed and then I could sue the state for my money and hassle.

I would never hike with $200 to $400 rod out in the open while caring a pack. Thats just asking for a slip and fall accident which would break my rod.

Just saying….

It's not crazy. In some states having freshwater fishing gear in your possession in an outdoor setting near a possible fishing area is legally adequately enough to be cited with the intention to fish. What are you going to do tell a Game Warden or Judge that you were merely out hiking and just happen to have hauled along fishing gear which IS NOT just defined as rod and reel.

"Video evidence is often needed for someone to get anything more than a slap on the wrist." Nah! Video evidence is not always needed. Got to tell ya this story seeing our User name and comment here. I caught a snook(a saltwater fish) in Punta Gorda Florida in season that by my well worn seamstress cloth measuring tape measured 23 3/4". The min was 24". I thought it was close enough. Plus, really wanted eat some snook fillets. Game Warden(Marine Patrol) came by. He measured the fish with his tape measure about 1.5 hrs after I caught the fish and put it into the trunk of the car. Long story short. I got a $250 fine, lost the fish, had all my gear possessed, and fought with the Marine Patrol NOT to possess the vehicle too. No video was taken. I was wrong!

rocketsocks
09-18-2014, 16:55
It's not crazy. In some states having freshwater fishing gear in your possession in an outdoor setting near a possible fishing area is legally adequately enough to be cited with the intention to fish. What are you going to do tell a Game Warden or Judge that you were merely out hiking and just happen to have hauled along fishing gear which IS NOT just defined as rod and reel.

"Video evidence is often needed for someone to get anything more than a slap on the wrist." Nah! Video evidence is not always needed. Got to tell ya this story seeing our User name and comment here. I caught a snook(a saltwater fish) in Punta Gorda Florida in season that by my well worn seamstress cloth measuring tape measured 23 3/4". The min was 24". I thought it was close enough. Plus, really wanted eat some snook fillets. Game Warden(Marine Patrol) came by. He measured the fish with his tape measure about 1.5 hrs after I caught the fish and put it into the trunk of the car. Long story short. I got a $250 fine, lost the fish, had all my gear possessed, and fought with the Marine Patrol NOT to possess the vehicle too. No video was taken. I was wrong!
Not an uncommon story, all fish shrink-up after being caught and expire. In the warm Florida sun though, fish can shrink up quite quick...bummer man. Could have been worse though, you could have lost a $100.000 purse on that fish were it a tournament, that would just suck!

Dogwood
09-18-2014, 17:09
In hindsight I could have argued the fish shrunk slightly as it dried out in the trunk. It's quite possible that absolutely did happen? I was really wishfully thinking my tape measure might be short a 1/4 " and MAYBE IT WAS. The Officer measured my fish at 23 7/8" 1.5 hrs after the fish was put in the trunk. Lost some expensive saltwater fishing gear that day.

Dogwood
09-18-2014, 17:28
Also, in New York, Florida, and New Jersey, all while rigging up my freshwater rod and reels, while sitting near the water I would be fishing, not having my Freshwater Fishing License yet out of my tackle box and attached prominently in view, I was warned by Game Wardens about not having my License yet displayed, with the NJ Game Warden/Wildlife Officer particularly adamant that he could fine fine me even though I did posses a valid License. He was going to charge me with "Not displaying a Freshwater License", which accord to these Game Wardens AND THE STATUTE HANDBOOKS THEY SHOWED ME, was a different charge than not having a License.

I've asked Fish and Game Wardens about having fishing line wrapped around something like a bottle with hook attached this. It's considered fishing! I'd say we all know that! Expect to pay a fine if you fish without a Freshwater Fishing License. Also, expect some hassle if you jerk LEOs around! The aren't idiot a holes to be treated that way.

Hoofit
09-18-2014, 17:33
Depends on how hungry they are. I've had a trout take two feathers that leaked from my sleeping bag, tied to a safety pin with a bit of dental floss.

That's a fish tale if ever I heard one!!

Old Hillwalker
09-19-2014, 07:30
Here is the Maine rule on possession of fishing gear/tackle: http://www.eregulations.com/maine/fishing/license-requirements/

Traveler
09-19-2014, 08:57
Facts are stubborn as opposed to opinion. It all depends how the Wardens interpret or enforce the statutes when they run across people with fishing tackle near water. As the ME statue reads in part, "Possession of fishing tackle in the fields or forest or on the waters or ice of this State without a fishing license is prima facie evidence of fishing in violation of the law." Not understanding these statutes will not be a defense nor will ignorance of the laws save you a few hundred bucks in fines and/or surrender of gear, boat, vehicle, etc. This gets very serious very quickly. I'd play by the rules given the potential.

Rocket Jones
09-19-2014, 11:50
Bingo on the above. The only 'fact' that matters is what the Ranger or Warden believes is happening.

rocketsocks
09-19-2014, 16:22
Facts are stubborn as opposed to opinion. It all depends how the Wardens interpret or enforce the statutes when they run across people with fishing tackle near water. As the ME statue reads in part, "Possession of fishing tackle in the fields or forest or on the waters or ice of this State without a fishing license is prima facie evidence of fishing in violation of the law." Not understanding these statutes will not be a defense nor will ignorance of the laws save you a few hundred bucks in fines and/or surrender of gear, boat, vehicle, etc. This gets very serious very quickly. I'd play by the rules given the potential.love livin' by the rules, makes life so much easier.

JohnnySnook
09-24-2014, 01:40
Well it seems you learn something new every day. I thought the laws where strict down here but seems some states may be worse.

Dogwood - that must of been quite a while ago. Min. size of 24" was a long long time ago. Before my time. We now have a slot size so a snook has to be between 28" and 32". Thats with the tail pinched these days. its really hard to catch a slot fish. Most are over sized. Its kind of weird to get excited when you you hook a small fish hoping its legal.
Seems you must have had some serious prior fisheries offenses to be treated the way you were. Having a FWC officer go to the extents that you describe is almost unheard of. The only people that I've ever heard of having gear / boats/ cars taken are serious offenders. Most would be seriously poaching and way over the limit with undersized fish. Even these guys often don't end up losing gear / boats / etc. The punishment for having a fish measure 1/8 undersize seems beyond belief. Most LEO's will use there own measuring device. Using a well worn seamstress cloth was your biggest mistake. Always use an approved measure device. Metal is the best. The fish should always be measured from the bottom up.
Always keep a fish well iced in florida and I would never put any fish in my trunk.
Most people are just ticket and have to show up in court. I've been fishing for 95% of my life and haven't heard of what happened to to for one fish ever. Please let me know if you are fishing around me so I can be far far away.

The last time we still had a century old family summer house in NJ before Sandy took that away my FL saltwater license(not sure about fresh) was legal in NJ. Not sure about any other states.
Either fresh or salt here in FL you don't need to have your license out. If you have a 5 year or lifetime fishing license its basically a credit card you keep in your wallet. Yearly is paper like. In fact I've been checked before didn't have it on me and showed them a picture on my phone and it was fine once he ran the numbers. These days I could probably call the 1-800-number and have it verified.

I have never heard of a fishing license needing to be displayed in the open. Keeping a fishing license in your tackle box wouldn't be a good idea. It could easily blow away, get wet, and fade due the heat.

As always its up to the LEO you run into. I've been told my buddy that works in the marina division he could find something to write a ticket for on almost every stop if he wanted to.
I will have a ME fishing License for sure. Thats one state I'm looking forward to. I may plan on leaving the rod behind in the beginning till I get my legs going and it warms up. I'm sure there are plenty of states that it will be basically useless without detours. Still have a lot of research to do on fishing areas. Right now worrying about gear etc.

The other option is when in town and stopping by an outfitter I may be able to get info on fishing areas ahead. Buy some cheap gear and fishing license and I'll be good to go. There are always options.

Memories of the old days when you keep a couple snook.

JohnnySnook
09-24-2014, 02:17
Trust me I'm not out to break any laws. Fisheries violations usually involve going to court at least in florida. Never fun. Plus everyone that I've meet that has been ticketed for fisheries violations suffer much more thorough and time consuming stops on the water. Taking away from fishing time.

The Marina Patrol is now the FWC here in Florida. The regulate all fishing, hunting, and outdoor activities. Although the sad fact is you will see more of there trucks on OT duty details at DOT constructions along the roadways in FL than you actually see on the water in the saltwater. Now where they can access spots by land the enforcement may be better. having any fishing gear basically takes all your rights away.These officers have almost unlimited power if you think about it. If you are in possession of anything that make the officer think you've been fishing they can stop and search you, your car, and boat at will. On the water the coast guard and FWC can stop and search you at anytime they please. If they want they can tear your boat apart.

If fact one of my buddies got a really nice boat for a 1/4 of the cost.Why such a good deal. The CG ripped the boat apart. Drilled 100's of holes in the gunnels looking for drugs. Yes they found the drugs sealed in fiberglass in many areas around the vessel.

There is nothing you can do about it except obey the laws, have safety gear and paperwork in order, and most importantly be respectful. These officers often work alone in remote areas with no backup anywhere close.

Rocket socks - I rarely fish tournaments anymore. Snook fishing is more about pride and bragging rights besides being one of best eating fish around. One reason they are so protected now. Thats how I came up with my username here. A few friends call me this cause I seem to be able to think like a snook and catch them with consistency. Since there is now a slot limit tournaments are far and few between.

Snook are one of the hardest fish to catch constantly and snook fisherman are often very secretive about when and where they fish. The best time to catch them in south florida is at night and the fishing pressure is quite heavy. This leads to many sleepless nights chasing them. Many people know spots that can see 100's of snook but can never catch them.

Another Kevin - I release brown trout almost daily. LOL

rocketsocks
09-24-2014, 04:23
I never fished for snook, or bone fish on the flats...sounds like fun, I like sight fishing.

JohnnySnook
10-17-2014, 05:50
I never fished for snook, or bone fish on the flats...sounds like fun, I like sight fishing.

It is amazing experience to sight fish for any species. I like to kill fish and eat them so I don't do much sight fishing. When I do its not easy. You can spend days and thousands of dollars just trying to sight cast to a bonefish or permit on the flat. Poling a boat in 10" for hours an end for on shot at apish. When it does happen and this fish are feeding. The wind is blowing in the right direction. You make perfect cast and the fish empties your real is something special.

Braided lines have destroyed the trophy fishery. No longer are people fishing light lines for records. I don't have any world records under my name but ran a boat for nights on end helping good buddy become master angler of his fishing club. The ultimate goal is a breaking the 10 - 1 recorded. Meaning catching a fish thats weight is 10 times the breaking strength of the line. Only did it once with a 43lb tarpon caught on 4 lb mono. it took many a night to accomplish this.

I do love sight fishing for snook under lights, Permit on the outgoing rips, and tarpon on the shadow lines of bridges.

My dilemma is buying a small boat or using the money for the trail.I've killed enough fish and the AT is something I dream about hiking.

Dogwood
10-18-2014, 15:27
I was wrong. I did say that didn't I? I thought I was being contrite? I thought one would have noticed that? I did say I went to court didn't I. I did say I wasn't 100% positive about the seamstress's cloth measuring tape length didn't I? I suspected it might be a little short though. I expected my cousin who was my regular fishing partner to have his tape measure in his tackle box too but had somehow recently forgotten to put it back into his tackle box. I was wrong about doing that too. You are absolutely correct JohhnySnook having an old beaten up seamtsetress's cloth measuring tape for a saltwater fishing measuring tape is being unthoughtful. I did say I wanted to eat the fish, didn't I? I don't always carry ice every time I fish. Do you? I was on a seawall in Punta Gorda Isles with no place to keep the fish and was concerned it would flop back into the water so I put it in the car's trunk. It was 11 p.m at night rather cool outside so didn't expect it to spoil. Punta Gorda Isles is not a gated community but it is somewhat frowned upon by the almost exclusively retired homeowners concerning people who don't live in Punta Gorda Isles(young people(not a senior citizen) not escorted by a resident) fishing in some places in this development. I think the late evening hr also had something to do with the Marine Patrol Officer being so adamant about being in the development fishing. To my knowledge there are now No Trespassing signs at this seawalled inlet. When I saw the Marine Patrol Officer in court he said he took it home and ate it.

That was the only time I ever had a Fish and Game Violation or citation after having licenses, bag limits, regs, etc checked by various LEOs in decades of boating, fishing and hunting in several states. In hindsight, not because I was cited and fined, and as you say found guilty, but because I was unsure of the precise size of the fish, to the 1/4", I wouldn't do what I did again almost 25 yrs ago. I would have released that fish.

I thought one would notice that by my Posts #46, 48, and 49 it would seem obvious that I was offering information that might help someone LEGALLY fish the AT, for example. The subject of fishing/hunting/gathering while multi state hiking the AT comes up around here occasionally and I suspect that most don't fully understand what that means to do it legally. Most don't even care to get into the legal specifics as I suspect they don't plan on doing it through many states legally. I commend you as it seems you're one of the firsts here on WB that have researched the costs involved, having a plan for what states you'd fish, having licenses, knowing the various many different regs, understanding your gear and having a great attitude about doing a fishing hike! I thought one would have noticed that I was offering fish and game information so others can learn by my mistakes and by what I've learned both what to do and not to do TO BE LEGAL NOT BEAT ME OVER THE HEAD OVER AND OVER because I shared them! We live. We learn. We move forward. We go fish. LEGALLY!

BTW, recently purchased a 7 day out of state Freshwater Fishing License w/ Trout Stamp for my recent hike and fish trek. Caught many fish, ate some, and obeyed every reg I knew of to obey.:)

JohnnySnook
10-21-2014, 04:58
Dogwood - I personally would like to apologize to you for the personnel attacks. I guess I just I took the fact that you didn't respond in the wrong way. We all make mistakes. I did take your posts as an insult. I personally hate seeing fish wasted due to spoiling. Has it happened to me? Yes. I personally hate filleting one fish each night when I can wait one or two nights more to fillet three at one time. When a drain plug has been left unscrewed a day can make a difference between spoiled fish and those you thought where iced perfectly.

yes wanting to eat a snook is something all local fisherman love. Those don't come to FL and don't catch one will not know what a great eating fish a snook is.

I always keep the smallest legal snook possible. They are the best eating.

The sad fact is the violations with follow you forever. Even a simple mistake can cost you. Every fishing or hunting stop the officers will treat you like a serious poacher due to this violation.

The fact that you so blatantly mentioned a well worn measuring tape and leaving a fishing in your trunk un-iced just made me angry! That fact I can't accept. I'll leave it at that. We all make mistakes.

No one is perfect. We've all made mistakes like thinking a measuring devices that you own is the right.

I can see your point to inform the WB hikers of the fact that fishing on the trail can lead to big fines and court dates. These court dates can cut a thru hike in half. The law doesn't care about what someone is trying to accomplish. Back tracking to a court house doesn't sound fun.
I do notice you are someone that posts here regarding most topics every day which something nice.

I feel letting this thread die would be great.

I will be carrying a fishing rod or two on the AT. I really don't care how much they weight. Fishing is something I love. Catching a few fish on the AT will be something special to me.

My family actually has friends in Tom's river. I wonder if you many know them? Else Died a couple years ago but her husband George is still a alive. They are amazing people and many may know them in your area. We actually owned a house next to them at Barley Point on the navisnk river. George and my grandfather we're some of the original builders of this island. It would be funny if you knew them.

Sandy destroyed this property that has been in our family for 100 years. As my side of the family isn't rich we had to sell the land rights to our cousins. At least we have rights to stay on the property of 2 weeks each year. Sad but better than nothing.

If not maybe a free stay on a surf trip to Hawaii?

JohnnySnook
10-21-2014, 05:19
Your second to last paragraph actually means a lot.

This is a new world to me. That is the hiking world. It's a place I've always had in the back of my head. Right now I'm trying to actually think to what make me want to hike the AT. I think I was looking back over old photos when I was a kid on the AT. Since then Surfing and fishing has ruled my life.
I've scored huge perfect waves. Caught massive fish. Still the days I spent at Camp Greenville (close the trail head) have lived with me since.

I hope that many realize that fishery violations are serious. They don't play around. PETA and the HUMANE SOCIETY are huge backers of any outdoor violations.
If you don't show up to court they have the backing to put you in jail.

Buy your licenses and obey fishery laws of each state.

Now if a bear attacks kill it! Grill it! Claim self defense and feed a bunch of thru hikers!!

david_1
10-21-2014, 08:29

Snook begin life as males, but between 18 and 22 inches long some become females.