PDA

View Full Version : What size tree straps for the AT?

donald_brown_5
03-19-2014, 06:59
Howdy -
For those of you who have used a hammock on the AT. What size tree straps would you recommend for an AT thru hike.
My current hammock set up is a WB Traveler double layer with webbing straps, dutch clips and adjuster buckles on the hammock side.
In a quest to lose weight, and because I can't help tinkering, I'm thinking about swapping it out for a whoopie sling, tree strap, toggle set up or perhaps a whoopie sling, tree strap, whoopie hook set up.
Either way I need an initial idea on how long the tree straps need to be. My general options, from looking at the various websites are 4, 6 or 8 ft long.
What say you?

Migrating Bird
03-19-2014, 08:12
In the northeast, which is where I do and have done most of my hammocking, I use 8' tree straps. The reason is that in a white pine grove (little or no undergrowth) trees can easily be 2'+ in dia. along with having enough left over for a marlin spike hitch. I use dutch clips and whoopies. I also use a 4" piece of an aluminum arrow instead of a stick. Having said all that, you can get by with 6' but I don't mind having the little bit of extra, 4' are too short and may limit your options. One could always cut down an 8 footer also but would require sewing a new loop on the end if you wanted a loop on each end incase one starts to look iffy.

Rain Man
03-19-2014, 11:18
I carry a 5' and a 7' strap, with a 3' Amsteel "dogbone," which can be used to hang my pack or to lengthen one of the straps if necessary. Don't forget, you can run your Whoopie sling through the strap loop and to a marlin spick hitch, which itself can't reach the loop, in case of a really big tree.

Rain:sunMan

MDSection12
03-19-2014, 11:55
I carry a 5' and a 7' strap, with a 3' Amsteel "dogbone," which can be used to hang my pack or to lengthen one of the straps if necessary. Don't forget, you can run your Whoopie sling through the strap loop and to a marlin spick hitch, which itself can't reach the loop, in case of a really big tree.

I'd never heard that, that's excellent!

I carry two six foot straps, and though my AT hiking is limited to MD, VA and PA, I haven't had any issue. Take that as you will.

Shonryu
03-19-2014, 12:38
I use a 4 foot with Dutch TI whoopie hook suspension. The whoopie suspension compensates for the tree straps.

donald_brown_5
03-20-2014, 06:29

Rain Man,

That is a great idea. I'm trying to picture how you would hang your pack. I assume you girth hitch one end of the "dogbone" through a pack handle or pack strap and run the tree strap through the loop on the other end before putting your suspension together? Or do you use hardware? Or am I getting it wrong and there is another method that I'm missing?

Rain Man
03-20-2014, 09:01
Rain Man,

That is a great idea. I'm trying to picture how you would hang your pack. ... Or do you use hardware?

I have a small plastic "biner" on a shoulder strap during the day. At night, I use it to clip my pack to the dogbone, which I hang over a limb or wrap around a small tree.