PDA

View Full Version : How to get a mail-drop from Germany

Bunny68
03-19-2014, 07:09
I'm looking forward to an AT-thru-hike NoBo this year. My plan is to have my resuppllies at local shops and also use a bounce-box.

Does anyone know if getting maildrops from outside the US will work (concerning custom- and tax-procedures; homecountry is Germany)?

Many greetings.

Odd Man Out
03-19-2014, 09:35
I'm looking forward to an AT-thru-hike NoBo this year. My plan is to have my resuppllies at local shops and also use a bounce-box.

Does anyone know if getting maildrops from outside the US will work (concerning custom- and tax-procedures; homecountry is Germany)?

Many greetings.

I've had things mailed to me from overseas and there was never any kind of customs/tax forms involved. I think that would he all handled by the sender (based on German rules) and not the receiver. I would think the cost would be unreasonable and would only make sense if it is something that you can only get in Germany. I would think a better option would be to carry things here in your luggage, or buy what you need at a large store in Atlanta. Arrive a day early so you have time to mail packages to yourself from Atlanta before you start.

Damn Yankee
03-19-2014, 09:38
With a little forward planning and mailing ahead of yourself, I don't foresee a problem. I don't think you will be able to ship food products unless they are prepackaged but, I could be wrong. As far as a bounce box goes, that shouldn't be a problem. Before you ship your package from Germany, the post office may want to see what's in the box so don't tape it up until you get there and remember to mail well in advance in case of customs regulations.

Slo-go'en
03-19-2014, 11:49
International postal rates have gotten extremly expensive. The other problem is you don't know how long it will take. I would allow at least 4 weeks for delivery.

Kaptain Kangaroo
03-20-2014, 02:32
International delivery times can be highly variable, unless you pay for express & then it is horrifically expensive ! Buy as you go for food & a bounce box for other items works very well (well it did for me !) you can even do your own resupply mail drops once you are on the trail if you really feel the need.

Dogwood
03-20-2014, 03:07
Bunny, contact some of the German long distance hikers who have hiked the long distance trails here in the U.S. aka German Tourist, Germanator, etc.

Here's Christine's(German Tourist's) link: http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/
http://thenewnomads.com/?p=639

From all the German long distance hikers I've met and asked about mailing boxes of food and gear from Germany(about 15 or so) to the U.S. they all have told me they limit the amount of stuff they mail from Germany due to costs, delays, mailing times, etc. They tell me they only mail stuff internationally from back home that is absolutely necessary to their long distance hikes in the U.S. or stuff they can't get and buy along the way here in the U.S. or easily get in the U.S. Some do employ bounce boxes though. A few also send stuff to a holder, like a friend, family member, Hostel Owner, trusted person here in the U.S. from Germany and then have it parceled out and mailed to them as they need gear, prescriptions, food, etc that they can't get in the U.S. But, do contact them to see what they say. Begin, by contacting Christine.