PDA

View Full Version : the upside of getting robbed

Hill Ape
03-19-2014, 13:24
so my son made deans list (very proud) and he made a deal with the mother figure he could get his own place if that happened, and move out of the dorms (i was opposed, i don't get a vote, only a bill) so now he's living in a cool old house in the city with half a dozen other kids, i can't wait to see how that goes.

anyway, on his last trip, while in transit, a couple of his big plastic storage bins were stolen. one of them contained the full kit i had passed down to him. rei flash pack, old shires virga, smelly sierra designs 600 fill bag. none of it top of the line, but all very servicable.

my dillema now, do i pass him my current kit, or buy him new gear, or buy new gear for MEEEEE? and hey, keep your eyes peeled at atlanta pawn shops for a big gray plastic tub full of gear

to top it off, that was this past weekend, yesterday i drove him to dentist, he had all his wisdom teeth extracted. watching your kid stoned out of his mind giggling.... priceless

Kerosene
03-19-2014, 13:46
Hands down, you give him the pick of your stuff that fits his needs, he ponies up to fill in the rest, and you use this as an opportunity to upgrade to Cuben fiber!

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2014, 13:51
Oh . . . Cuben . . .

Old Grouse
03-19-2014, 16:54
"so now he's living in a cool old house in the city with half a dozen other kids,"

Ah, yes, the "starter" hovel. I remember it well.

Dogwood
03-19-2014, 18:03
Uhhh, the wonders of fatherhood.

Dogwood
03-19-2014, 18:10
Hill Ape, tell him you're coming to his town in a couple of weeks and you were thinking about crashing with him. Eat his food, borrow his car, get drunk, embarass him in front of his friends, tell him you're broke(you've lost your wallet), and need a loan. See how that goes over. LOL. Then tell him you've been thinking about going back to school and his college campus appeals to you.

nitewalker
03-19-2014, 18:12
FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON YOU, FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME!!!! you can still pass it down but Hold onto it and let him use it when he needs it. this way it doesnt disappear again....

Uneasy
03-19-2014, 18:13
No dillema. Who paid the insurance premium and who is going to eat the deductible. Problem solved. Go enjoy building a new kit.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2014, 18:26
What all you guys are failing to recognize is that Dad is paying all the bills, and will be the only one "ponying up" for new gear. I say buy it for yourself, as he doesn't need new yet, and dealing with poverty (ie used goods) is all part of the college experience. You, however, have worked for and earned new toys!

Damn Yankee
03-19-2014, 19:11
The father in me says, buy him new gear. How is a young adult go about getting his gear? Yes I know I could give him my hand-me-downs(and my greedy side says just buy new gear for my self and give him the hand-me-downs) but that's how I think, most likely I could offered getting my own gear also. I would make it a father/son day and go get yourselves new gear (but, keep his gear at your house until he needs it) and sell the old stuff to make some of the money back oooorrrrrr save it to fund a father/son trip later. Either way, win, win. Or you could just give him your used gear. Sorry I'm not better help.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-19-2014, 21:05
What I've learned the hard way is if the people around you will steal from you once they will do it again. So, after 3 robberies, I sold my place after living there 25 years, and got the heck out of Dodge!! (Never touched my camping gear but they stole just about everything else. If they had taken my gear I would have had to get really mad!!) Moral of the story: if you buy the new gear (or some of it) for your son keep it where you know it is safe :-)

Mick3y
03-19-2014, 21:54
Give him your gear, it's an upgrade to the previous kit anyway. Then buy yourself a new kit. Hand-me-downs are great, because they are free.

imscotty
03-19-2014, 21:58
Hill Ape, I admire your ability to see a Silver Lining in everything. Treat yourself to some new gear.

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2014, 22:25
I have been there,,,, wait... you don't need us to share... Serious, you already know what to do.

CarlZ993
03-19-2014, 22:52
Give him the hand-me-down stuff of your. Either secure it at your place or rent the smallest, cheapest storage unit near him (no guarantee that it won't be burglarized, though). You get new stuff.

FYI - It doesn't sound like he was 'robbed.' Robberies are face-to-face thefts with a threat or actual use of violence (gun, knife, etc). He was a victim of a theft, maybe a burglary (enter a building w/o consent to commit a theft or other felony).

xalex
03-20-2014, 01:32
sounds like you took it well. i would buy new gear and share old gear, depending on the gear.. i honestly wouldnt want a heavily used sleeping bag from anyone else, so maybe make that a new item to buy. but theres plenty you can pass on if he wants it.

Adriana
03-20-2014, 21:37
Second hand stuff goes to the kids...I can't tell you how much money we spent buying first quality gear for a son deployed to Iraq twice and the other doing a 26 month stint in the Peace Corps in Guatemala. How much of that expensive gear made it back? I'd say just the Ex-officios...

atraildreamer
03-22-2014, 12:24
... How is a young adult go about getting his gear? ...

Yard sales...

12TH Man
03-22-2014, 12:41
Hi Hill Ape, Cool old house in the city w/ 1/2 dozen kids (Some female I assume?) I survived the same situation your son is experiencing.
Damn good time. Grades were kept. No felony arrests. So whats the problem; give him your gear and buy yourself new.

Drybones
03-22-2014, 18:09
That's a tough choice...getting new gear feels pretty good but doing something for the kids feels pretty good too.

Damn Yankee
03-22-2014, 18:23
FOR SALE? rei flash pack, old shires virga, smelly sierra designs 600 fill bag. All very servicable.

Astro
03-22-2014, 22:48
Hill Ape, tell him you're coming to his town in a couple of weeks and you were thinking about crashing with him. Eat his food, borrow his car, get drunk, embarass him in front of his friends, tell him you're broke(you've lost your wallet), and need a loan. See how that goes over. LOL. Then tell him you've been thinking about going back to school and his college campus appeals to you.

Also be sure to leave all the lights on and set the thermastat to extreme temperatures.

daddytwosticks
03-23-2014, 12:42
Also be sure to leave all the lights on and set the thermastat to extreme temperatures.
...and don't forget to stand in front of the opened refrigerator for a looong time trying to decide what to eat. :)

Hill Ape
03-23-2014, 18:15
honestly, the only thing he really does lately that rubs me raw... he thinks he's a damn enlightened genius now, tells me about life, actually jumped my case for taking the 15 yr old out driving, two weeks before his 15th. like i didn't teach him to drive just yesterday, or was it the day before?

Adriana
03-23-2014, 20:33
doing something for the kids feels pretty good too.
Tuition? Room and board? Car insurance? Cell phone bill? Feel good now?

Hill Ape
03-23-2014, 21:10
i feel great about all that, but we all need an escape... he did call me today venting, he's burnt out on a business degree, wants to do something else, mom aint havin it

sink
03-26-2014, 17:42
I got a business degree because my parents thought it was the best idea. Now, 8 years later I'm miserable. I don't know your kid but the price of happiness should be worth a consideration. Of course, if he just had a bad interaction/test then that's a different story.

Honuben
03-26-2014, 20:28
Sorry for his (and maybe your loss) of gear. I would recommend renters insurance, maybe he's got it and didn't think of it. I have always had it when renting a place... But never had to use it.

Drybones
03-26-2014, 20:59
Tuition? Room and board? Car insurance? Cell phone bill? Feel good now?

LOl...mine are up and gone now, but thanks for reminding me of the"good old days".